Author Topic: Windows 7  (Read 51754 times)

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• Michael Pain the tittie-fixated inflatable doll salesman
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Windows 7
« Reply #160 on: May 27, 2009, 12:50:27 pm »
I just installed it as a virtual machine.

Can't see any major differences that would justify spending on it.

Are you serious?

The reliability alone is worth spending money on, not to mention the speed and driver compatibility

And for adobe CS4 users out there it even seems to stabilise the suite a lot more than any of the previous versions of Windows and seems to be kicking the arse of my MAC Pro for speed and crash rate.

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #161 on: May 27, 2009, 04:59:54 pm »
So Microsoft finally got it right, did they?
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline mig

• Legacy Fan
  • Bringing back better days
« Reply #162 on: May 27, 2009, 05:02:15 pm »
So Microsoft finally got it right, did they?

Almost, but not quite. I still don't see the point in having different "versions" of the OS. Confusing as hell, if you ask me. Wouldn't it have been better to just have Win 7 32-bit and Win 7 64-bit?

Windows 7 is working really good though. Installed it on my dad's desktop as he lost his XP disc and didn't want to spend on a new OS. Occasional driver hiccup here and there with the printer, buts its been really good.

Offline Ken-Obi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: May 27, 2009, 05:07:00 pm »
Customisation of the distros are good from both practical and marketing sense as the end user is only provided with stuff that they need - for example you are hardly going to be needing Domain facilities at home or entertainment modules at the office. Add to that the Korean and EU legal stuff made it compulsory to have those versions.
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: May 27, 2009, 05:41:57 pm »
Almost, but not quite. I still don't see the point in having different "versions" of the OS. Confusing as hell, if you ask me. Wouldn't it have been better to just have Win 7 32-bit and Win 7 64-bit?

Windows 7 is working really good though. Installed it on my dad's desktop as he lost his XP disc and didn't want to spend on a new OS. Occasional driver hiccup here and there with the printer, buts its been really good.

In regards to driver hiccups are you running the RC version (build 7100)? And tried compatibility mode? I've found that it's sorted any issues I've had in regards to driver issues.

Offline wacko

• Keepsh a shecret gottle of Shcotch in hish top drawer. Cunning linguist and ical genius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: May 27, 2009, 06:29:41 pm »

There are different versions so they can charge a range of prices and make much more money. If they charge more than $50 for a netbook OS, manufacturers will install Linux instead. But they still want to be able to charge $100 for a PC OS, $200+ for business customers that need certain network functions, and $300 for high-end machines.

So they'll release a cheapo crippleware version that will only run 3 applications at a time. Fine for netbooks, shite for a proper computer. Then there'll be Home for budget PCs and notebooks, Professional with all the domain networking (and other) features companies need, and Windows Dogs Bollocks with HD video features (and maybe support for more than 2 cores) that are only of interest on high-end PCs anyway.

You're brave installing a pre-release OS on your dad's computer.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: May 27, 2009, 07:14:28 pm »
There are different versions so they can charge a range of prices and make much more money. If they charge more than $50 for a netbook OS, manufacturers will install Linux instead. But they still want to be able to charge $100 for a PC OS, $200+ for business customers that need certain network functions, and $300 for high-end machines.

So they'll release a cheapo crippleware version that will only run 3 applications at a time. Fine for netbooks, shite for a proper computer. Then there'll be Home for budget PCs and notebooks, Professional with all the domain networking (and other) features companies need, and Windows Dogs Bollocks with HD video features (and maybe support for more than 2 cores) that are only of interest on high-end PCs anyway.

You're brave installing a pre-release OS on your dad's computer.

I've been running it since the beta version as my MAIN OS, have all my work on here and not had a single issue. Very stable software

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: May 28, 2009, 01:00:19 am »
I've been running it since the beta version as my MAIN OS, have all my work on here and not had a single issue. Very stable software

Me too. It's been fantastic.

Don't know if you've delved, but Windows Media Center is much improved and I'm loving the DLNA play to feature of WMP.

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Could be John Giles, or his agent.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: May 28, 2009, 01:41:08 am »
Probably what Vista should have been first time round. As it is, hardly much of an upgrade at all.

Offline Ken-Obi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: May 28, 2009, 06:32:13 am »
Probably what Vista should have been first time round. As it is, hardly much of an upgrade at all.
It was - Microsoft was rushing against time to release one version based on their roadmap; the delays in the project (restarts, kernel changes, feature opt out) led to the creation of Windows Vista. Windows 7 was what the whole OS should've been.

Offline Surprise me.

• Is 2" bigger than fordy87.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Formerly El Torres.
« Reply #170 on: May 28, 2009, 06:51:56 am »
Vista was just a stepping stone to Windows 7. It always been about Windows 7, they just wanted to update XP to keep up with their competitors for the time being.

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: May 28, 2009, 08:40:20 am »
Me too. It's been fantastic.

Don't know if you've delved, but Windows Media Center is much improved and I'm loving the DLNA play to feature of WMP.

Haven't really gone that much into the media center but i know that WMP in general is nowhere near the turd it used to be, first time in years i haven't installed winamp.

I love the way it also supports flac files without any extra codec being required, have quite a few Lizzy albums i like to enjoy at the their finest, should probably invest in a good amp and speaker set though

Offline JohnnyDrama

• hey new members to RAWK: He's a really really annoying feedback tourist and thick. If you dont believe me, he even admitted it himself. Post-match angler
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #172 on: May 28, 2009, 08:46:08 am »
currently running duel boot but going to convert to full windows 7 next month after exams
Greatest Band in the world.

www.myspace.com/brandnew

Offline Rafadagaffer

• Kopite
  • Walk on Walk on..
« Reply #173 on: May 28, 2009, 12:26:33 pm »
My only gripe with it is the new library idea, seems unnecessary and harder to customize than the places bar in vista. It has been perfect other than that though and a nice touch by Microsoft to give the release candidate users until 2010 to use it.
I think we have some posibilities, no?

Offline mig

• Legacy Fan
  • Bringing back better days
« Reply #174 on: May 29, 2009, 02:05:18 pm »
In regards to driver hiccups are you running the RC version (build 7100)? And tried compatibility mode? I've found that it's sorted any issues I've had in regards to driver issues.

Yep, I'm on RC 7100. I installed the printer's driver under compatibility mode too. Every so often, I'd get this message that the print drivers had an error or something.

Printer works fine on OS X and XP SP3 though.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: May 29, 2009, 02:14:11 pm »
only issue i had was with an old pci wireless card i had, linksys wmp54g ver 4.1

it was simply because linksys never did 64bit drivers for it so you can't blame MS for that, luckily I found a nice workaround for it as the chipset was from a different card and the drivers for that worked perfect
STFU and agree with me.

Offline wacko

• Keepsh a shecret gottle of Shcotch in hish top drawer. Cunning linguist and ical genius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: May 29, 2009, 08:51:29 pm »
You are also brave. Then again, I do need my computer for work.

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: May 29, 2009, 09:01:10 pm »

It's OK luv, don't you worry your pretty little head about it.

Offline seanoevil

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA.
« Reply #178 on: May 30, 2009, 02:04:57 pm »

I also use my pc for work; as well as my laptop and have been running 7 since beta - it's soooo looooovely lol.

Now running build 7137 :)
JUSTICE 4 THE 96.

15/10/10 - It's a new dawn, it's a new day...COME ON YOU REDMEN!

Offline Surprise me.

• Is 2" bigger than fordy87.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Formerly El Torres.
« Reply #179 on: June 2, 2009, 07:39:33 pm »
Going on sale October 22nd apparently.

Offline wacko

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: June 2, 2009, 08:57:54 pm »
It's OK luv, don't you worry your pretty little head about it.
Err, okay.

Offline Ken-Obi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: June 9, 2009, 02:12:41 am »
Played with it a little yesterday and was suprised to see how smooth Aero works on integrated Intel GMA graphics - even smoother than Vista with a low end hardware accelerated graphics card! :o

And it could run VMWare image without swapping like hell to the hard disk like on Vista. :o

I'm sold! :o

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: June 9, 2009, 01:11:29 pm »
Played with it a little yesterday and was suprised to see how smooth Aero works on integrated Intel GMA graphics - even smoother than Vista with a low end hardware accelerated graphics card! :o

And it could run VMWare image without swapping like hell to the hard disk like on Vista. :o

I'm sold! :o

Welcome to the dark side

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: June 12, 2009, 03:51:10 pm »
Just been reading on the beeb that the European version of Seven will be shipping without Internet Explorer due to anti-competition suit a while back.

Whilst I don't really give two fucks about IE as it makes my life hell as a Web Designer, why has Apple not been pulled on their OS bundles such as Safari and Quicktime when surely the same thing is happening?

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #184 on: June 12, 2009, 04:08:50 pm »
Just been reading on the beeb that the European version of Seven will be shipping without Internet Explorer due to anti-competition suit a while back.

Whilst I don't really give two fucks about IE as it makes my life hell as a Web Designer, why has Apple not been pulled on their OS bundles such as Safari and Quicktime when surely the same thing is happening?

Probably because they're viewing the marketplace as being all personal computers rather than segmenting it between Windows based and Mac based.

Apple have a relatively small portion of the overall PC market so including their browser wouldn't be deemed to be anti competitive due to the relatively small number of machines having Safari bundled and indeed running as opposed to IE.

Given the success of other browsers against IE in recent years its overkill anyway though.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 04:16:35 pm by filopastry »

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Could be John Giles, or his agent.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: June 12, 2009, 04:14:00 pm »

How are you meant to get on the internet then to download a browser? Utterly stupid.

Offline seanoevil

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA.
« Reply #186 on: June 12, 2009, 04:20:35 pm »
How are you meant to get on the internet then to download a browser? Utterly stupid.

I'm sure the 'Getting Started' window will be rehashed with options to download a browser.  But will it only point at IE though or will there be options for other browsers?
JUSTICE 4 THE 96.

15/10/10 - It's a new dawn, it's a new day...COME ON YOU REDMEN!

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: June 12, 2009, 04:31:22 pm »
Probably because they're viewing the marketplace as being all personal computers rather than segmenting it between Windows based and Mac based.

Apple have a relatively small portion of the overall PC market so including their browser wouldn't be deemed to be anti competitive due to the relatively small number of machines having Safari bundled and indeed running as opposed to IE.

Given the success of other browsers against IE in recent years its overkill anyway though.

Recently Firefox took over all three IEs put together in market share so I was thinking the same.

Offline Ben S

• Remember we were partners in crime. Pigeon Fancier. GTL Bus Freak. Also known as Bambi, apparently - or Miss Kitty on Wednesdays....
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #188 on: June 12, 2009, 04:55:09 pm »
Hmmm, according to whos figures, IE still has by far the greatest number of users for all the sites I'm involved with.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: June 12, 2009, 05:38:17 pm »
you make sites for morons ;D
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Ben S

• Remember we were partners in crime. Pigeon Fancier. GTL Bus Freak. Also known as Bambi, apparently - or Miss Kitty on Wednesdays....
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #190 on: June 12, 2009, 06:00:05 pm »
I know, thats why you are here ;)

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: June 12, 2009, 06:29:15 pm »
Hmmm, according to whos figures, IE still has by far the greatest number of users for all the sites I'm involved with.

Well I'm just going by w3 figures, not sure how accurate they are, but can't imagine they'd be too far off the mark.

They also show a shift in the amount of people using 800 x 600 resolution to a larger res, which is nice

Offline Ben S

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #192 on: June 12, 2009, 06:47:47 pm »
I'd assume that they are pulling those figures from their own log files, a web mastery type site will have figures that don't represent the majority of users.

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: June 12, 2009, 06:54:43 pm »
I'd assume that they are pulling those figures from their own log files, a web mastery type site will have figures that don't represent the majority of users.

Would probably be best from the bbc/sky sports etc you reckon?

I'm sure there are services out there that would give you a more rounded statistic.

Offline Ben S

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #194 on: June 12, 2009, 07:55:18 pm »

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: June 12, 2009, 09:42:45 pm »
do they even still make netscape?
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Ben S

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #196 on: June 13, 2009, 12:06:55 am »
Not since last year but you can still download good old nutscrape here - http://browser.netscape.com/

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: June 13, 2009, 01:45:21 am »
Still going to doubt those stats

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: June 13, 2009, 09:35:31 am »
Still going to doubt those stats

Not sure where you get your stats from, but Wiki has an aggregation here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_web_browsers

Clearly showing IE out ahead or significantly ahead than FF.

Offline Party Phil

• Boring Cunt that flies Air Bizarre
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #199 on: June 25, 2009, 02:46:08 pm »
Windows 7 pricing gets unveiled

Microsoft will not be offering upgrade version of Windows 7 to Europeans.

In the past Microsoft has given people already using Windows a chance to upgrade to a new version when it becomes available.

While that option will be offered in the US, Microsoft said its efforts to comply with competition regulations meant it could not do so in Europe.

European regulators dismissed the claim, saying the move limited choices rather than opening them up.

No choice

Windows 7 is due to go on sale on 22 October around the world.

Anyone outside Europe buying a new PC between now and then - running Windows Vista Home Premium, Business or Ultimate - will get the chance to upgrade the operating system on it, at no cost, to Windows 7.

While Microsoft will not charge for the upgrade, some PC makers may impose a fee to ship disks with Windows 7 on them to customers.

The worldwide upgrade option programme is due to begin on 26 June.

Those who want to upgrade to Windows 7 on a older PC will pay a reduced price for the software. Stand alone versions of Windows 7, that can run on more than one PC, will also be available.

Microsoft said these upgrade options will not be available to Europeans.

"We will not be able to offer an upgrade product within Europe," said John Curran, Windows business lead at Microsoft UK, adding that only the full version of the software will be available to Europeans.

Microsoft will make an upgrade offer to buyers of new PCs but will send them a full version of the software rather than an upgrade version.

In Europe, the full version will cost the same as an upgrade version.

In the UK the upgrade version of the Home Premium edition of Windows 7, available to those with an existing Windows license, will be £79.99.

By contrast buying this in a shop, and which can be installed on more than one machine, will cost £149.99.

The upgrade option was not available, Microsoft said, because it was trying to comply with European competition regulations.

Microsoft has said that Windows 7 will be offered in Europe without the Internet Explorer browser on board.

A Commission spokesman dismissed Microsoft's claim that it was taking the action to comply with European laws.

"The essential point of our case is consumer choice," said the spokesman.

"We would want to look extremely closely at the terms under which Microsoft is making Internet Explorer available to computer manufacturers," he said.

"If the effect of the technical separation of Windows and Internet Explorer is neutralised by particular terms and conditions they offer to manufacturers to install Internet Explorer, they're no better off."

The preferred remedy for Europe, he said, was to offer users a screen when they first switch on Windows 7 that gives them a choice between IE, Chrome, Firefox, Safari or Opera.

"For them to claim that this is somehow imposed by the Commission or is going to resolve the problem with the Commission is far from clear," he said.

"It's certainly not because we've asked them to do it."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8118749.stm
If you're lying, I'll chop your head off.