Author Topic: Chasing the Title  (Read 1404622 times)

Offline chiplege

• Anny Roader
Re: Chasing the Title
« Reply #5960 on: February 22, 2019, 01:06:05 pm »
Top 4 mentality that.

You think City fans would go to OT ready to snap your arm off for a draw? Would they f*ck! And thats what we are up against.

As I said, these are the games that make title winners. It is only 3 points, but at the same time, we all know mentally its a lot more than that.

Keep the foot firmly on the throat and go for them, no mercy!

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #5961 on: February 22, 2019, 01:17:38 pm »
That's football though Jill. It's still a God awful record. And to be honest, there are very few of those games we didn't win that we have been robbed in. The majority of the time we've been beaten because we just didn't turn up, basically beaten before we'd even took to the pitch. Or we simply weren't good enough.

The bit in bold is what has often enraged me about this fixture. We are Liverpool and should be well up for every game we play, but this fixture is one our players should be willing to shed blood in. Their crowd, their stadium, their city, the shirt they wear and the badge on it should be like a red rag to a raging bull. Honestly, if I were a Liverpool player this fixture would be like going into a battle for the honour of my family. It's a take no prisoners thing for me. Not turning up for this one is absolutely unforgivable in my mind. Sadly, we've not turned up at their place far too often.

Of course, there were plenty of years in the 90s and 00s where we weren't really good enough, but still, not turning up is never an option for this club. In the 70s and 80s United were an embarrassment, yet their fierce drive and determination against us back then often saw them get a result against what was a far superior Liverpool team. Anyway, it's about time we went to their place and went for the throat and rammed the trident on their badge right up their arses.

Come on you Reds!!!  :scarf

The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline pathetic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5962 on: February 22, 2019, 01:50:51 pm »
While I would love it if we smash them at Old Trafford, I think it would work out better for us if we win a boring jammy 1-0 win. Let City ride the hype train while we continue doing our business in silence, much like we were doing in the beginning of the season. We will drop points and City will drop points too, so a loss won't be the end of the world but I think a win will effect our morale.

Offline phonic

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5963 on: February 22, 2019, 01:56:11 pm »
While I would love it if we smash them at Old Trafford, I think it would work out better for us if we win a boring jammy 1-0 win. Let City ride the hype train while we continue doing our business in silence, much like we were doing in the beginning of the season. We will drop points and City will drop points too, so a loss won't be the end of the world but I think a win will effect our morale.

Can't wait for us to get back to controlled winning. The 1 or 2-0 wins where the game is over because we've decided it's over are what has got us to this position. We need to get back to that.

Offline pathetic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5964 on: February 22, 2019, 02:00:58 pm »
Can't wait for us to get back to controlled winning. The 1 or 2-0 wins where the game is over because we've decided it's over are what has got us to this position. We need to get back to that.

Agreed mate. Wasn't quite as exciting as previous seasons, but so damn good to watch.

Offline phonic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5965 on: February 22, 2019, 02:04:19 pm »
Agreed mate. Wasn't quite as exciting as previous seasons, but so damn good to watch.

Definitely. The exciting games were all well and good but we never really closed a game out. Look at the home leg vs Roma. If that was this season it'd have finished 3-0 and we'd have kept the ball for the last 20 minutes. Like you say, not as exciting, but it's far more effective. Also much easier to watch!

Offline hide5seek

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in THE 5 EUROPEAN CUPS
« Reply #5966 on: February 22, 2019, 02:23:02 pm »
Top 4 mentality that.

You think City fans would go to OT ready to snap your arm off for a draw? Would they f*ck! And thats what we are up against.

As I said, these are the games that make title winners. It is only 3 points, but at the same time, we all know mentally its a lot more than that.
*clap clap clap* we have to win this game to put the red manc fuckers back where they belong and to say to the blue manc fuckers 'you can win every game, it doesn't matter, because were not dropping any points, this title is ours'. Time for our players to stand up and become legends.

Offline Pheel

• Look into my eyes...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Jerzy............Legend
« Reply #5967 on: February 22, 2019, 02:40:59 pm »
5 wins at OT in 33 games in all competitions stretching 29 years.

Oof!
Can we get Danny Murphy registered in time?

Better today than yesterday...........
           even better tomorrow.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #5968 on: February 22, 2019, 03:04:21 pm »
Can we get Danny Murphy registered in time?

Scored the winner in 3 of those 5 results.

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5969 on: February 22, 2019, 03:09:30 pm »
Liverpool's four Premier League fixtures for April have today been rescheduled for broadcast purposes.

The Reds’ encounter with Southampton at St Mary’s will be contested a day earlier, with the fixture now set for Friday April 5 at 8pm.

Our Anfield clash with Chelsea has been moved to Sunday April 14, with kick-off set for 4.30pm. This match is subject to further change in the event of Liverpool reaching the Champions League quarter-finals and scheduling.

The trip to Cardiff City will now be played on Sunday April 21, getting under way at 4pm.

Finally, Huddersfield Town’s visit to Anfield has been rescheduled for Friday April 26 with an 8pm kick-off.

All games will be broadcast live on Sky Sports.

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5970 on: February 22, 2019, 03:12:22 pm »
Definitely. The exciting games were all well and good but we never really closed a game out. Look at the home leg vs Roma. If that was this season it'd have finished 3-0 and we'd have kept the ball for the last 20 minutes. Like you say, not as exciting, but it's far more effective. Also much easier to watch!

Definitely better this year. Last season, the only players who had any ability to do it were Wini and Virgil. This season, adding Allisson and Fabinho has helped us keep composed.

If those four are on the pitch together, I just feel so much more confident that we can close a game out. 

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5971 on: February 22, 2019, 03:15:13 pm »
Liverpool's four Premier League fixtures for April have today been rescheduled for broadcast purposes.

The Reds’ encounter with Southampton at St Mary’s will be contested a day earlier, with the fixture now set for Friday April 5 at 8pm.

Our Anfield clash with Chelsea has been moved to Sunday April 14, with kick-off set for 4.30pm. This match is subject to further change in the event of Liverpool reaching the Champions League quarter-finals and scheduling.

The trip to Cardiff City will now be played on Sunday April 21, getting under way at 4pm.

Finally, Huddersfield Town’s visit to Anfield has been rescheduled for Friday April 26 with an 8pm kick-off.

Friday matches can do one.

Offline courty61

• Legacy Fan
  • Never Buy The S*n
« Reply #5972 on: February 22, 2019, 03:15:58 pm »

They've confirmed the Manc derby as 24 April.

If city get to the fa cup semis. When do they play their game v Cardiff? After this? Or will they bring that forward to say April 1st?

If after and it's played in May then I think at times in April we'll have 2 games in hand over them?
77, 78, 81, 84, 05, 19

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5973 on: February 22, 2019, 03:23:29 pm »
City play Tottenham on the 20th of April, and Burnley on the 27th, with the Manc derby in the middle of those two.

Offline gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #5974 on: February 22, 2019, 03:40:29 pm »
Palace away the week before the Spurs game, that’s a massive couple of weeks potentially.
AHA!

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5975 on: February 22, 2019, 03:41:38 pm »
Why cant City and Utd play first midweek in April? Stinks this.

Should be as early as possible to avoid any dodgyness.

Everton gets brought forward as early as possible which suited City and Utd left as late as possible, hmmm.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 03:44:06 pm by DelTrotter »

Offline jamie_c

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5976 on: February 22, 2019, 03:41:40 pm »
Top 4 mentality that.

I want to win on Sunday more than anything, but I do think the more sensible attitude is that it’s another 3 points and we’ll be in an incredible position if we were to get a draw.

Also disagree that historically these are the games that titles are swung on.  We beat City in our last title challenge, we went to Old Trafford and won 4-1 in the one before that, we lost both leagues.

It’s won over 38 games, and it’s one game at a time...

Offline courty61

• Legacy Fan
  • Never Buy The S*n
« Reply #5977 on: February 22, 2019, 03:45:51 pm »

Everton gets brought forward as early as possible which suited City and Utd left as late as possible, hmmm.

Arguably better for the Manc derby to be later.

Hopefully they are in a battle for top 4. And the later games in the season become big for them.

Issue with Everton was that they were playing for nothing
77, 78, 81, 84, 05, 19

Offline grossagain

• Main Stander
« Reply #5978 on: February 22, 2019, 03:46:48 pm »

It's unfortunate but fair; Wolves drawing against Man Utd in the FA Cup means that their league game can't possibly be played on FA Cup semi-final weekend, so that's been rearranged already.

Offline grossagain

• Main Stander
« Reply #5979 on: February 22, 2019, 03:47:58 pm »
If city get to the fa cup semis. When do they play their game v Cardiff? After this? Or will they bring that forward to say April 1st?

If after and it's played in May then I think at times in April we'll have 2 games in hand over them?

First midweek in April.

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5980 on: February 22, 2019, 03:49:52 pm »
Arguably better for the Manc derby to be later.

Hopefully they are in a battle for top 4. And the later games in the season become big for them.

Issue with Everton was that they were playing for nothing

Arsenal and Chelsea are so shit that top 4 could be pretty much nearly done for them by then, would have much preferred early April where there's less time to build a lead but hopefully you are right.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #5981 on: February 22, 2019, 03:49:57 pm »
I'd be more worried if they still had Mourinho - they'll come at us and that'll play right into our hands. A pinged ball up to Salah to isolate Young or Shaw and job's a goodn'.

Again, no idea why you and others think this. They had between 33 and 38 percent possession at Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs under Solskjaer. I think they'll be more than happy to play this like an away game; it plays to their strengths and our weaknesses.

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5982 on: February 22, 2019, 03:58:53 pm »
I'd take a draw. This is our hardest game left of the season, and our record at Old Trafford is really poor. Draw here and win the rest of the games and we're home and dry!
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5983 on: February 22, 2019, 04:02:52 pm »

Don't remember too many saying at time it suited City, I thought the general thinking was 3 games in a week would be tough. You cant win win re-arranged games. The Everton game was early and it was a problem, the Utd game late and its a problem.
Whether games suit City, Utd, Everton or whoever else, fuck them. We know when we play thats all that concerns me

Offline Zoomers

• Legacy Fan
  • Meow
« Reply #5984 on: February 22, 2019, 04:04:46 pm »
Fabinho will dominate Pogba and we will win.
Shut the fuck up and put some respek on Lucas name playboy

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #5985 on: February 22, 2019, 04:05:15 pm »
Question: What do you think of people who say, 'Liverpool have never won the Premier League' and particularly in the context of proving lack of pedigree?

I think it's a load of shit. Not even just the bullshit about football being invented in 1992. When someone says we don't have the experience to win the title, you only have to point out our rivals, who didn't have the experience until they won it, which they did in the most pressure of circumstances.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5986 on: February 22, 2019, 04:08:46 pm »
Don't remember too many saying at time it suited City

I do remember you saying Everton would try their hardest though.  ;D ;D

And for someone not concerned you seem to comment every single time someone talks about City v Everton or Utd.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 04:12:30 pm by DelTrotter »

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5987 on: February 22, 2019, 04:31:34 pm »
I do remember you saying Everton would try their hardest though.  ;D ;D

And for someone not concerned you seem to comment every single time someone talks about City v Everton or Utd.

I did and all and they did, they didn't let City tickle their tummies like you said they would did they ?
haha aye good one. You got me, I just sit round waiting for someone to mention them 3  ::)
The conspiracies get boring pal really

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5988 on: February 22, 2019, 04:50:00 pm »
I did and all and they did, they didn't let City tickle their tummies like you said they would did they ?

;D Hahaha I mean they were at home and didn't have a shot for the last 40 minutes despite being behind. They did exactly as I thought they would.

Online deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5989 on: February 22, 2019, 04:58:49 pm »
I'd take a draw. This is our hardest game left of the season, and our record at Old Trafford is really poor. Draw here and win the rest of the games and we're home and dry!

Do you honestly see us winning all our games after this? I think we need to allow for slip ups in three games. Can probably afford 2 draws and a loss at the very most. Win this and its our hardest fixture left on paper over and done with. Lose or draw here and it only gives us a lot of games to play, while only being able to drop 4-5 points in those games.

I actually reckon if we are to win it, we need to win every game between now and Spurs (one draw maybe when we get closer to Spurs).

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5990 on: February 22, 2019, 04:59:48 pm »
;D Hahaha I mean they were at home and didn't have a shot for the last 40 minutes despite being behind. They did exactly as I thought they would.

:) aw right, I was thinking you were expecting a 6 or 7 niller
just win the league and we can all be friends again on here

Offline HardworkDedication

• Hardwork and Dedication linked to many stories - Mingebag. Has no opinion of his own. Human news ticker tape.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5991 on: February 22, 2019, 06:33:40 pm »
Our game against Chelsea on Sunday 14th April is likely to be moved if we progress to the CL quarter finals. If the 2nd leg is on Tuesday 16th April it will definitely get moved to a earlier or later date. It can't be moved to Saturday 13th April as Chelsea will have played the first leg of their Europa league tie two days before.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 06:35:19 pm by HardworkDedication »

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #5992 on: February 23, 2019, 02:01:50 am »
If we progress, and it’s a big if, ideally they’ll move it one day forward. But TV, so.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #5993 on: February 23, 2019, 04:04:28 am »
Well, definitely a crazy/awesome/awful time for my first visit to Old Trafford since Luis Garcia lobbed Petr Cech. Bricking it. I won't be on Sunday though. I'll be 4 minimum pints to the wind and giving it my all in the stands, but fuck me I can't get around feeling like this is so fucking massive. It's 3 of 36 points. Less than 10% of what is available to us, but I can't help but feel like we could do with reversing the Leicester draw with this one and the APLT would agree with me. Would take a draw if offered it now though. Go back top of the league and go into Watford just needing to win to keep it that way.

Of course we could recover from a loss from here, but we'd really be putting ourselves up against it. The players are only human and the coverage would be wall to wall bollocks.

Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Online deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5994 on: February 23, 2019, 06:06:26 am »
Another thing worth noting about this weekend is that Spurs have a chance to get right back in the title race as a proper contender. If we lose or draw, they are just a couple of points off us if they win away at Burnley. They then have Chelsea at the Bridge on Wednesday and Arsenal at Wembley next weekend. Massive week. We could do with them dropping points in a couple of games, ideally against Arsenal and Chelsea (be a laugh for United to miss out on CL). It would also dent their confidence and they would give up on the league and focus on the CL, which would benefit us when they come to Anfield.

If they win those three games, they are big contenders for the title. No denying it. Say what you want, that would be impressive.

Most importantly though, more important than any Spurs loss - we cannot lose this weekend!! Ideally a win too.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5995 on: February 23, 2019, 08:07:29 am »
There are still many twists and turns to come before the season ends.

Still so many permutations that could change mindsets and outcomes that don't involve us or city, something the media haven't yet brought into the narrative.

It'll be a few more weeks before we can either relax because we've pulled ahead or relax because we've blown it.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Online moondog

• dot com! Wake him up before he go-gos.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #5996 on: February 23, 2019, 09:34:13 am »
There are still many twists and turns to come before the season ends.

Still so many permutations that could change mindsets and outcomes that don't involve us or city, something the media haven't yet brought into the narrative.

It'll be a few more weeks before we can either relax because we've pulled ahead or relax because we've blown it.

Yeah this place will be totally chilled and relaxed if we have blown it . We will all stop stressing about what might have been, no one will be dishing blame out or calling for FSG out nosireeebob.

Offline latortuga

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5997 on: February 23, 2019, 11:51:39 am »
Another thing worth noting about this weekend is that Spurs have a chance to get right back in the title race as a proper contender. If we lose or draw, they are just a couple of points off us if they win away at Burnley. They then have Chelsea at the Bridge on Wednesday and Arsenal at Wembley next weekend. Massive week. We could do with them dropping points in a couple of games, ideally against Arsenal and Chelsea (be a laugh for United to miss out on CL). It would also dent their confidence and they would give up on the league and focus on the CL, which would benefit us when they come to Anfield.

If they win those three games, they are big contenders for the title. No denying it. Say what you want, that would be impressive.

Most importantly though, more important than any Spurs loss - we cannot lose this weekend!! Ideally a win too.

Looks like they have Kane back as well. 

Still reckon they won't challenge and will shoot themselves in the foot somewhere like they always seem to.  They have a habit of running out of steam towards the end of seasons under Poch.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5998 on: February 23, 2019, 01:01:40 pm »

Yeah this place will be totally chilled and relaxed if we have blown it . We will all stop stressing about what might have been, no one will be dishing blame out or calling for FSG out nosireeebob.
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] oh there'll be all hell to pay if we blow it but the angst of will we, won't we will be over.

The ripping into everyone and everything about the club, players, manager can go ahead in earnest until we're all exhausted chasing whoever we decide to blame out of the club [emoji16]

Offline gregorio

• Loves Chelsea's staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At this particular moment in time
« Reply #5999 on: February 23, 2019, 01:28:29 pm »

Yes, there would be a serious amount of soul searching, mainly because of the January 7 point lead but also because of the long run of getting so very close to winning a trophy only to just fall short. We all know what came next after the handful of seasons we’ve been close to winning the league since 89/90 but if things don’t quite work out this year I believe Klopp would learn and buck the trend.
'When they start singing 'You’ll Never Walk Alone' my eyes start to water. There have been times when I’ve actually been crying while I’ve been playing'