Author Topic: Any Baseball Lovers Around  (Read 552199 times)

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
Re: Any Baseball Lovers Around
« Reply #9800 on: August 4, 2022, 12:15:14 am »
Whichever team you support, Friday night sees the Padres visit the Dodgers and it will very interesting to see the games between these 2 going forward (more so when Tatis comes back).

I still think Dodgers have enough, and their 12 game lead is probably too much for the Padres to catch up, but the gap is really closer now than ever.

With both NY teams, Trashstros, Padres, Dodgers and the champ Braves it is looking like a wonderful set of games this postseason. Really looking forward to it.

Offline David in Edinburgh

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Klopp
« Reply #9801 on: August 4, 2022, 10:43:39 am »
Oh Vin, unlike any other. Gutted.

"High fly ball into right field, she is gone!"

RIP fella.

Just like here with other sports golf, cricket and footie the previous generation of commentators were so very much better than todays hyperbolic screamers. RIP Vin one of the best along with Jerry Coleman (Hang a star on that one) and Harry Carey (Holy cow!).

Offline Rob K

• He is the one and only! Naked and caked in mud
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ron Fucking Swanson
« Reply #9802 on: August 4, 2022, 05:49:24 pm »
Just announced Cubs/Cardinals at the London Stadium for 2 days next June.
Give me all the bacon and eggs you have...

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9803 on: August 6, 2022, 05:00:18 am »
Wow. Top of the 5th and Dodgers already up 8-0 on the Padres

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9804 on: August 6, 2022, 01:35:56 pm »
RIP Vin one of the best along with Jerry Coleman (Hang a star on that one) and Harry Carey (Holy cow!).

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9805 on: August 9, 2022, 05:36:28 pm »
Chris Sale injured his wrist in a biking accident and will miss the rest of the season after undergoing wrist surgery.

Red Sox fans trying to rewind time back to July 1.
King Kenny.

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9806 on: August 11, 2022, 02:12:26 am »
Anyone know what's wrong with the Yankees at the moment?

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #9807 on: August 11, 2022, 01:21:21 pm »
Cubs vs Reds tonight, normally nothing special in that fixture, but it's at Field Of Dreams.
#Sausages

Offline ShatnersBassoon

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #9808 on: August 11, 2022, 02:52:40 pm »
Anyone know what's wrong with the Yankees at the moment?

the joey gallo curse

Offline BassTunedToRed

• This X-Axis goes up to 11.
  • Kopite
    • Bass Tuned To Red
« Reply #9809 on: August 11, 2022, 04:48:22 pm »
Phillies at Mets should be a hell of a series this weekend. 12-1 over the last 15 days takes on 13-2. What's going to happen?!

(Hopefully a Mets series win... Got to be a good chance with Scherzer and deGrom going in the first two).

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9810 on: August 11, 2022, 05:00:31 pm »
the joey gallo curse
Right ;D ?!!

Field of Dreams game should be nice. I like the NHL's Winter Classic and this sort of thing as well.

Online Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9811 on: August 11, 2022, 05:03:52 pm »
Mets pitching staff is disgusting. Really is nasty. Beasts everywhere you look; whether that's starting rotation or from the pen. If they can get to a series with Scherzer, DeGrom and probably Carrasco with Ottavino and Diaz from the pen you're going to need to make sure Lindor and Alonso don't hit anything. Best squad they've had in donkeys.

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9812 on: August 11, 2022, 08:25:19 pm »
I agree on the Mets.

The best thing the Mets can do to is to manage their arms.  They have opened up a decent lead, and they have a bunch of pitchers who've all started but have durability issues.  They can manage them down the stretch, and then have some operate out of the pen (Walker's never been an innings-eater in his career and has always had durability concerns.  Megill's been injured much of the year.  Degrom's just coming back. etc).

Given how modern baseball approaches the postseason, you can almost see something like this in a 7-game series.

Game 1:  Scherzer goes 5/6; you bridge the bullpen and get Diaz the save opp (W)
Game 2:  Degrom goes 4/5 but doesn't have the stuff and you want to manage his innings; get Walker/Peterson/Megill in for a few innings (L)
Game 3:  Bassitt gets in trouble early so you burn Carrasco too to get out of it (presumed game 4 starter); Mets rally and you form the bridge to Diaz (W)
Game 4:  No Carrasco but someone like Walker/Peterson can give you a few innings each; bullpen game (L)
Game 5:  Scherzer goes 6; no problems (W)
Game 6:  Degrom goes 4 but gets in trouble, and you need to try to win the series; you bring in Bassitt for a few innings; tough loss (L)
Game 7:  Carrasco can start; as soon as he gets in trouble, if it's a lefty-heavy lineup, Peterson gets the ball; whoever isn't burned out of Walker/Megill can take a couple of innings; Scherzer is crazy, so he'll probably want an inning in there; and then you have the bridge to Diaz to win the series.

There are so many options in there.  You can have a not-100% Degrom, a relatively meh Bassitt, burning next game starters, etc, and it's still few problems to see out 7 games.  It's not like they have to rely on 3 guys to go 7+ innings every night.  They can mix-and-match based on form and injuries.

It's their best chance since 2015 for sure.
King Kenny.

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9813 on: August 13, 2022, 12:04:38 am »
Tatis suspended for violating the league’s substance abuse policy.

Wow.
King Kenny.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9814 on: August 13, 2022, 12:10:41 am »
Tatis suspended for violating the league’s substance abuse policy.

Wow.

Oh, wow.

"Padres superstar Fernando Tatis, Jr. is facing a lengthy suspension for violating Major League Baseball's Joint Drug Agreement, according to multiple reports. The Associated Press reports it's an 80-game suspension -- which is standard for a first offense -- for the performance-enhancing drug Clostebol."

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9815 on: August 13, 2022, 12:17:20 am »
Padres wow...   80 games, that's huge.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #9816 on: August 15, 2022, 05:48:25 pm »
Mets pitching staff is disgusting. Really is nasty. Beasts everywhere you look; whether that's starting rotation or from the pen. If they can get to a series with Scherzer, DeGrom and probably Carrasco with Ottavino and Diaz from the pen you're going to need to make sure Lindor and Alonso don't hit anything. Best squad they've had in donkeys.

Bit of a question about the bullpen, but I s'pose the idea is for all the starters to go at least 6  ;D

Trevor Williams and Adam Ottovino are steady though, Drew Smith coming back would be a boost too, Lugo is ok, but you never quite know which one turns up, maybe they will put Tylor Megill in the pen when he is back too. As for Edwin ‘Sugar' Diaz oh my word, him and the Blasterjaxx trumpets are the stuff of legend in New York  ;D

But anyway, the Metsies are a shitton of fun. I LOVE Buck Showalter, the ideal manager for this crew. Lindor, Alonso, Marte are 3 legitimate superstars on this team.  Jeff McNeil is close to that level too, and a decent supporting cast. And one of my favourite Mets - Luis Guillorme is one of the best defensive players in the league, and hugely underrated, very important player this season.

Oh and Dan Vogelbach as DH (platoon with Darin Ruf), I hope you all have been watching Vogey running the bases, the man is a legend  ;D
« Last Edit: August 15, 2022, 05:52:40 pm by Dim Glas »

Offline ShatnersBassoon

• Kopite
« Reply #9817 on: August 17, 2022, 03:41:08 am »
watching blue jays recently has just been a masochistic groundhog day

series against the equally spiraling yankees coming up this week so someones gotta snap out of it

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9818 on: August 19, 2022, 04:40:57 pm »
Braves just took 3 out of 4 against the Mets in Atlanta.  First time all year the Mets lost an intra-divisional series.

3.5 games now.  It looked bad after losing 4 of 5 in NY, but it's a race again.  Could have a classic NL East race here.
King Kenny.

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9819 on: August 19, 2022, 05:39:13 pm »

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9820 on: August 23, 2022, 11:02:06 pm »
Wow, Arte Moreno is selling the Angels.
King Kenny.

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #9821 on: August 23, 2022, 11:04:08 pm »

They're terrible and he's a bad owner and yet he's going to become even more obscenely rich in doing so.

On the other hand I'm going to be at Dodger Stadium in a couple of hours to drink some beers and pretend I care what's happening on the field. Really one of the most enjoyable things to do in LA alongside seeing a game at the Rose Bowl.

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9822 on: August 24, 2022, 01:15:32 am »
If you started drinking, you'll be trolleyed by the time the 1st pitch comes in.... still 2 hours to go! Can't say I'm not jealous though, you'll see the Cat in action.

Meanwhile Buehler's Day off has turned into a season or 2 off. Hard luck for the lad, Tommy John so he'll be out for over a year now. His 2nd one as well and he was struggling before going down.

Offline ShatnersBassoon

• Kopite
« Reply #9823 on: August 24, 2022, 02:26:36 am »

hopefully ohtani can go to a proper team and not get stuck there like trout

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9824 on: August 24, 2022, 09:30:55 pm »
On the other hand I'm going to be at Dodger Stadium in a couple of hours to drink some beers and pretend I care what's happening on the field. Really one of the most enjoyable things to do in LA alongside seeing a game at the Rose Bowl.
Well? How did it go?!

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #9825 on: August 25, 2022, 08:56:53 pm »
Well? How did it go?!

It was awesome as usual. Though I'm not a big fan of the new Dodger Dogs, it's just different from the old Farmer John ones somehow that is just off putting for me. The current owners have really done a 180 degree change though with the game day experience from the McCourt years where I'd say it was almost dangerous to go. My college roommate is from Wisconsin so he was cheering for the Brewers, had no issues and had a great time.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #9826 on: August 27, 2022, 10:49:22 pm »
Old Timers Day at Cifi Field today for the Mets, and during the ceremonies the annoucment that the club has retired Willie Mays number 24 jersey finally.  It had been a promise of the original Mets owner Joan Payson that his number would be retired, so it’s taken a while! But made good today, very cool.

Steve Cohen continues to be the owner Mets fans dreamed of, first Keith Hernandez jersey retirement this season, then this today 8)

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9827 on: September 3, 2022, 10:06:26 pm »
Yankees are hopeless, Boone is atrocious and Cashman has been stealing a living the last 22 years, worst Gm in sports with the budget he's had this century.

One part of me hopes we don't make the playoffs so something drastic has to happen to get rid of those 2 clowns.

At one point 2 months ago we were 16-17 games clear, by end of this week it could be down to 4 and still have another series with the rays to come. >:(
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9828 on: September 24, 2022, 08:05:11 am »
Happy for Pujols reaching 700 last night. Well done to him.

Dodgers have taken their foot off last few games and that's understandable to some extent, but hopefully they don't carry this through into the playoffs or it'll be another classic post season let down.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9829 on: September 24, 2022, 12:34:43 pm »
Happy for Pujols reaching 700 last night. Well done to him.

One of the all time greats.  The numbers he has put up in his career are extraordinary.

Online Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9830 on: September 24, 2022, 12:46:09 pm »
I sometimes find these things a bit… I dunno, unsatisfactory when players are hanging on for grim death trying to reach milestones. Pujols has not been a help on the field to any team he’s played for for years now. He’s just long balls and strikeouts. Can’t play first anymore, can’t run. Yet he’s going to finish his career among the very best ever and I just don’t think he is.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9831 on: September 24, 2022, 12:51:05 pm »
Brilliant from Pujols, one of the best and classiest players this century.

Such a shame Pujols had that hip injury at start of his Angels career, it really curtailed his power and bat speed, and his HR and battering average tanked with losing that ability to hit to the opposite field, teams just started putting the shift on him as he could only pull the ball. If not for that injury we'd be looking at Pujols being the only player to hit 800 homeruns.

All time MLB team, who starts at 1st, Gehrig or Pujols?

The numbers he put up in his first stint at the Cardinals was insane.

"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Suareznumber7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9832 on: September 24, 2022, 01:15:09 pm »
I sometimes find these things a bit… I dunno, unsatisfactory when players are hanging on for grim death trying to reach milestones. Pujols has not been a help on the field to any team he’s played for for years now. He’s just long balls and strikeouts. Can’t play first anymore, can’t run. Yet he’s going to finish his career among the very best ever and I just don’t think he is.

A little harsh in this situation I think.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/34652416/st-louis-cardinals-albert-pujols-joins-700-club-two-home-run-day

Pujols' final season has seen him play some of his best baseball down the stretch. His second-half OPS, 1.076, ranks second only to that of Aaron Judge, and his surge has coincided with the Cardinals practically running away from the rest of the National League Central.

Pujols is batting .265/.338/.530 for the season. His 21 home runs give him 18 20-homer seasons for his career, third-most in history behind only Aaron (20) and Bonds (19). Only he and Ted Williams hit at least 20 home runs in both their first and final seasons. Friday marked his fourth multi-homer game after turning 42, the most in major league history.

Offline Jack_Bauer

• Kopite
« Reply #9833 on: September 24, 2022, 01:44:49 pm »
Good to see him hit #700, Been eyeing his chase for #700 and Judge's chase for the HR record (single season) the last couple of months.

Online Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9834 on: September 24, 2022, 02:10:25 pm »
A little harsh in this situation I think.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/34652416/st-louis-cardinals-albert-pujols-joins-700-club-two-home-run-day

Before this season he hadn’t had an OPS over .800 since 2012. 10 years of shocking baseball and limping to a big number tarnish this for me. If his name wasn’t Albert Pujols and he didn’t have a horrible contract the Angels couldn’t escape from he’d have been out the league about 6 or 7 years ago.

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #9835 on: September 24, 2022, 06:12:40 pm »
Seems like the Red Sox - Yankees game is on the BBC iPlayer

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/baseball/62994479
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #9836 on: September 24, 2022, 06:17:05 pm »
Seems like the Red Sox - Yankees game is on the BBC iPlayer

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/baseball/62994479

Commentated on by Maccabees guitarist, Felix White :D
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #9837 on: September 24, 2022, 06:27:36 pm »
Commentated on by Maccabees guitarist, Felix White :D
yes don't know why they just don't take the network feed
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9838 on: September 24, 2022, 08:10:36 pm »
Before this season he hadn’t had an OPS over .800 since 2012. 10 years of shocking baseball and limping to a big number tarnish this for me. If his name wasn’t Albert Pujols and he didn’t have a horrible contract the Angels couldn’t escape from he’d have been out the league about 6 or 7 years ago.

I’ll admit/agree he was pretty bad with the Angels.  He’s having a good year this year though. 

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9839 on: September 29, 2022, 02:25:18 am »