The Liverpool FC Forum > General Football and Sport

LIVERPOOL TRANSFER THREAD

<< < (7093/10443) > >>

RyanBabel19:
Convinced we wouldn't sign someone before we learned the extent of Thiagos injury and even more now. Not just because Klopp has said it but also because we need to remember we often have to give players a decent amount of time to get used to our system before they're playing anywhere near regularly. Obviously a new midfielder would still help across the duration of the season but in terms of what's happening right now, there isn't really any guarantee they would get a lot of minutes straight away, Fabinho and Robertson are just 2 examples of players we slowly introduced

El Lobo:
Considering we’re just out of pre-season and it takes a little while to get up to speed with our style of player, especially in midfield, I’d guess the thinking is by the time a new CM would be there, Thiago and Jones would be back. So I don’t see a Brozovic-type signing.

markmywords:

--- Quote from: Asam on August  9, 2022, 05:59:05 am ---Selling someone who is injury prone for £50M isn’t stupid if you bring in a better player

--- End quote ---

Getting £50million for an injury prone player who has 1 yr left on his deal, wouldn't be merely not stupid, it would be split the atom genius by our management

Keita is a fine player, but the potential rationale for not signing a midfielder this window, could be extended as to why it might not make sense to offer him a deal beyond this season.  Also, if we sign bellingham, we might want a back up m/f's that can do the job, having back up m/f like potentially thiago/ henderson/keita and potentially milner is a injury nightmare in waiting, these are guys that need their mins managing, if we have to throw them in to a hectic schedule, due to an injury to 1 of our 1st choice midfielders, then they could fall like skittles

I wonder how many injuries in midfield

Drinks Sangria:

--- Quote from: RyanBabel19 on August  9, 2022, 06:52:49 am ---Convinced we wouldn't sign someone before we learned the extent of Thiagos injury and even more now. Not just because Klopp has said it but also because we need to remember we often have to give players a decent amount of time to get used to our system before they're playing anywhere near regularly. Obviously a new midfielder would still help across the duration of the season but in terms of what's happening right now, there isn't really any guarantee they would get a lot of minutes straight away, Fabinho and Robertson are just 2 examples of players we slowly introduced

--- End quote ---
It’s a mixed bag isn’t it really? We can’t tell what the management would do with new players. For every Fab and Robbo, as you rightly point out, there’s a VVD who goes straight into the line up within days of signing or a Salah/Mane who are straight into the team following pre season.

In such a condensed season, games coming rapidly in succession, a ‘break’ where a lot of our squad isn’t getting a break, there’s a clear need to bring someone in now to cover the fact that out of the midfielders available, every single one of them has had at least a month out injured in the past two seasons. In that time, Milner’s missed 13 games injured, Keita 21, Henderson 19, Thiago 41, Elliott 30, Fabinho 14 and Ox 22. That is beyond patchy availability, it’s awful. It’s caveated with the fact that the likes of Elliott was a single impact injury, but as the players get older and the fixtures more congested, there’s very much a need to address this before it gets worse, because realistically these players aren’t all of a sudden going to get less injury prone.

Looking up those numbers, it shocked me to see how available Keita has been, but even the best there is Milner who isn’t a first choice starter. Surrounding this is the fact we give players time to get back to match fitness and the fact three of that group are all currently injured. If the club chooses not to get someone as they believe they’ll manage, then that’s that. We’ll find a way. My argument would be we needed a midfielder even before Thiago’s injury.

Knight:
Also, Keita is clearly protected these days to avoid injuries. We very carefully manage his minutes. Same with Thiago I suspect. That's obviously a very good idea but it means that not only are they missing games injured (although in Keita's case not too many recently) but they're missing games when fit to avoid getting injured. That happens to every player to some extent obviously but with some of our midfielders they really do need nursing through seasons.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version