Author Topic: RAWK Web Development Circle  (Read 118964 times)

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: RAWK Web Development Circle
« Reply #640 on: March 19, 2019, 02:46:41 pm »
Related to that, at what point (when making a website with a small scope) do you stop optimising for niche browsers? I seem to recall that Edge & IE have a combined market share of 4-5%, so say you have a week's development time (random figure plucked from my backside) do you assign to making browsers like Samsung Internet and Edge look crispy?

If they're low market share, I wouldn't spend time on them. This is probably one of the biggest changes I made in my current job - when I joined they supported _everything_ and it's pointless, you develop in your core browser and then give you attention to what is sensible - in our case, it's a desktop web app so we ignore mobile and then we support chrome as core, last 2 versions, then we organise the rest into priorities based on users usage and judge what is and isn't appropriate to spend time on based on that usage. If no-one using it, then you're just wasting your own time.

If you're not using data from that product you can always go for a set from caniuse and then reassess when you have data.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #641 on: May 18, 2019, 01:38:49 am »
Is there any out of the box / open source 'web app' solution? Just need some basic forms and the ability to return queries.

I need to build something basic to help my mother manage her business, I have a web server with MySQL but I don't have a great deal of time to learn how to do it from scratch ;D I use PowerApps to do this at work but that's out of the question due to Office 365 licensing, and I have tried her on MS Access to no avail!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 01:40:36 am by Kashinoda »
:D

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #642 on: May 24, 2019, 03:12:13 am »
Is there any out of the box / open source 'web app' solution? Just need some basic forms and the ability to return queries.

I need to build something basic to help my mother manage her business, I have a web server with MySQL but I don't have a great deal of time to learn how to do it from scratch ;D I use PowerApps to do this at work but that's out of the question due to Office 365 licensing, and I have tried her on MS Access to no avail!

I’d start by googling/searching for open source alternatives to powerapps if that does the job you want it to do.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont Worry I'm From The Internet
« Reply #643 on: October 17, 2019, 10:55:17 pm »
just a quick question... cheap all in one website build,hosting.. really just an info site for a mate..not loads of pages or traffic..
he does window cleaning, comercial cleanig etc.. wants a site with email link for customers etc.. maybe app links later (facebook, whatsapp)
was looking at ipage, godaddy etc.. but lots of bull till you get to pay.. .... ipage about £40 for 2 yrs with domaine name,privacy, free web builder for 6 pages..

any thoughts... thanks.. Hixx  :wave
Shanks on Leaving Liverpool FC

"It was the most difficult thing in the world, when I went to tell the chairman........ It was like walking to the electric chair.... That's the way it felt."

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #644 on: October 18, 2019, 07:10:24 am »
Never heard of ipage to be honest.

GoDaddy and Wix seem the two most popular services like this.

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont Worry I'm From The Internet
« Reply #645 on: October 18, 2019, 04:29:01 pm »
Never heard of ipage to be honest.

GoDaddy and Wix
seem the two most popular services like this.
yeah, thought so.. i'll take a look ..  8)
Shanks on Leaving Liverpool FC

"It was the most difficult thing in the world, when I went to tell the chairman........ It was like walking to the electric chair.... That's the way it felt."

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #646 on: October 23, 2019, 12:26:58 pm »
if you can build a site then just buy a domain and use netlify to host. plenty of frameworks and that to knock something up in a few hours.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #647 on: October 28, 2019, 06:03:23 pm »
So when is RAWK going to be made responsive Claire ;D?
:D

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #648 on: October 29, 2019, 08:08:07 am »
When I feel like getting loads of shit for giving up my free time for a few months.

I wonder when that will be... 🤔

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #649 on: October 31, 2019, 11:04:13 am »
I’d also appreciate tips for free website creating for my daughter to sell small quantities of clothes please 😁

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #650 on: October 31, 2019, 02:30:22 pm »
doubt you'd get anything e-commerce totally free.

Shopify is probably the simplest as that's what it's made for but you can also do wordpress e-commerce.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 02:32:40 pm by Claire. »

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #651 on: October 31, 2019, 07:43:15 pm »
If it's only small quantities you may be best looking at something like an Etsy store. They'll take fees, but then most services will for payment processing, etc even if a free store. Plus you get the added benefit of an instant audience on those sorts of stores.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #652 on: November 1, 2019, 12:24:12 am »
Thanks Claire and Craig :)

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #653 on: November 1, 2019, 08:30:12 am »
Not sure what the clothing is, etc but ASOS do (or used to, haven’t checked for a while) a marketplace section where people could set up their own mini stores.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #654 on: March 30, 2020, 12:39:04 pm »
I'm writing a small program to download threads to pdf. Got most of it working, but I'd like it to email a pdf of a page when it's completed.
Does anyone know how I could check for the end of a page?

-- current best thought is to look at the url for a page (they go up in steps of 40) , and try and detect if there's a single post.
Or maybe a bit of regular expression (never could do those) to read the page numbers at the top or bottom....
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #655 on: March 30, 2020, 05:13:52 pm »
I'm writing a small program to download threads to pdf. Got most of it working, but I'd like it to email a pdf of a page when it's completed.
Does anyone know how I could check for the end of a page?

-- current best thought is to look at the url for a page (they go up in steps of 40) , and try and detect if there's a single post.
Or maybe a bit of regular expression (never could do those) to read the page numbers at the top or bottom....

Using RSS may make things a whole lot simpler.

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?action=.xml;type=rss

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #656 on: April 11, 2020, 08:39:34 pm »
Anyone in here use vue with material design?
I'm just messing about but I cannot get grid to work.
In fact in my project, I'm not sure it's even acknowledging the design.
(When I say 'my' project, I mean the sample tutorial I went with and then am trying to add material)

-- edit-- I figured it out. 😁

ps- SP , in the end I ended up counting the number of times something on the user profile bit occured. If it's 40, the page is done. I've always struggled to get the RAWK rss feed to work. I always seem to get a feed of the home page or something.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 07:35:18 am by PaulF »
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
  • 'You'll Never Walk Alone.'
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #657 on: May 19, 2020, 05:18:03 pm »
Hi, I was wondering if anybody here is knowledgeable on Google Ads and their most effective placement and size?
Also, I currently use AutoAds, which has been fine, but I wonder if anybody on here would be able to cast their eye over my site and identify if there are any benefits to moving from AutoAds to permanently placed ads.
Thank you.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #658 on: May 19, 2020, 05:27:46 pm »
Hi, I was wondering if anybody here is knowledgeable on Google Ads and their most effective placement and size?
Also, I currently use AutoAds, which has been fine, but I wonder if anybody on here would be able to cast their eye over my site and identify if there are any benefits to moving from AutoAds to permanently placed ads.
Thank you.

You mean placement on your site or running your own banner ads elsewhere?

Offline wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
  • 'You'll Never Walk Alone.'
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #659 on: May 19, 2020, 05:56:19 pm »
You mean placement on your site or running your own banner ads elsewhere?
Sorry yes, running ads on my site.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #660 on: May 19, 2020, 05:58:21 pm »
As unobtrusive as possible whilst being as well placed as you can so you get maximum revenue tends to be the best way isn't it?

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #661 on: May 25, 2020, 02:42:51 pm »
https://learndigital.withgoogle.com/digitalgarage/courses There’s a digital marketing course with certification, keep you out of trouble eh.

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #662 on: May 27, 2020, 10:46:33 pm »
Someone recommended me to these guys :

https://studio1design.com/

They're excellent and design websites with marketing in mind.  Very cutting edge. I'm not sure what they charge though probably not cheap!

Edit: Ah here we go:

At Studio1Design.com  we can provide great results for our clients, without charging a ridiculous price tag, because we operate a lean online business.

You can expect to pay between $2.5k and $4k for a full website design, depending on the length of the pages.  We then offer to code the website for an extra $2.5k – $4k. (Coding a website simply means to turn the website page designs into a live functional, mobile responsive website on your domain. We also give you the choice to hire your own coders if you want to.

Studio1 specializes in high-converting websites – designed and built to deliver optimal website performance, not just good looks.

Every page is designed to drive conversions. No filler words or images; each design element has a purpose in communicating your brand and your message.

If you want new branding and style guide, then add between $1k & $2.5k, depending on how many design elements you need.  Then you’ll have a completely new brand standard that you can apply to everything you create moving forward.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 10:49:39 pm by rebel23 »

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #663 on: May 29, 2020, 06:01:47 pm »
I would consider trying Amazon Associates and picking relevant targeted products relevant to the rest of the site. 

You managed to cc a PM to the Rawk Editor account - so I know which site you are talking about - you want want to update your RAWK profile - you have a dead link on your profile.

Look at the analytics, but the top ad wrecks the look of your site, and unless it is insanely profitable, I would lose it.

For funky fonts, a little does a long way. And those images are not really great to read, and do not get indexed by Google. You also render the site unusable by anyone using a text reader. Not great for accessibility.

The top logo with the sub header looks like they should be links. And a landing page for each of those categories may be a wise investment.

You don't use the term KS2 at all - you would imagine it should be one of your prime search terms.

For social media, every thought of posting a problem of the day. Answer to follow the next day?

It is simple to do and can gain traction. You can use TweetDeck and schedule them in advance...

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #664 on: October 12, 2020, 09:25:01 pm »
If I want to grab data from a database, then present it to the user as plain HTML rather than the database interaction code beneath, what kind of keywords should I be searching on? Preferably using ASP.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #665 on: December 12, 2020, 12:28:55 pm »
We all love a free course! https://techdevguide.withgoogle.com/

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #666 on: December 13, 2020, 11:09:12 am »
Great places I have found to learn stuff

aCloudGuru (About £200/Year) - not just cloud - a variety of really good stuff - all very professionally presented - the best thing about this site is each course is revisited and updated regularly - something you really need with cloud courses especially and deal with a wealth of technologies; AWS, GCP, Azure, Azure DevOps, Python, Config management, Ansible and the list goes on and on. Plus they have a 'Playground area' that you can mess about with

Udemy (Pay per course, but they have many discount sales throughout the year where you can get a £199 course for £9.99) - plenty of courses across a ridiculous range of subjects - might not look as polished in some instances as aCloudGuru - but the entusiasm is something I love with the people doing the courses, I've done a load of these and am really happy

PluralSight - quite hit and miss. Some tremendous courses, some not so much and doesn't really get updated as much as you might like. Also quite expensive.
I love you all. Even Mancs x

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #667 on: December 13, 2020, 11:10:43 am »
I love you all. Even Mancs x

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #668 on: December 15, 2020, 07:00:28 pm »
Free coding bootcamp for LCR based folks, full time starting in Jan 2021: https://www.reddit.com/r/Liverpool/comments/kdk62z/fullyfunded_coding_course_in_merseyside/

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #669 on: July 12, 2021, 03:30:10 pm »
Does anybody have any courses to recommend for somebody who wants to learn coding? I know I’ve missed the boat on the last post by Claire but I am in Liverpool and I’m struggling to find anything for beginners. Any help would be appreciated!

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #670 on: July 12, 2021, 06:32:48 pm »
Bit of a broad subject, is there something specific you want to learn or do?

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #671 on: July 12, 2021, 06:34:58 pm »
Bit of a broad subject, is there something specific you want to learn or do?

Nothing specific that I can think of but the aim would be to venture into cyber security once I’ve learnt and gained qualifications.

Just to clarify I would literally be starting from scratch. I’ve always been computer literate and good with technology but I fancy learning programming, software development etc.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 06:36:41 pm by AndyMuller »

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #672 on: July 13, 2021, 08:38:57 am »
This is quite fun https://www.hackthebox.eu and has a community around it, old colleague of mine who started as QA has used resources like that to get his first role as a pen tester ;D

For concepts and where to start etc, I'm a self taught front end dev so probably not the best person to ask in your case but everyone always seems to recommend python as a good starting place. Plenty of resources on the learnprogramming subreddit - https://www.reddit.com/r/learnprogramming/wiki/faq

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #673 on: July 13, 2021, 08:49:48 am »
This is quite fun https://www.hackthebox.eu and has a community around it, old colleague of mine who started as QA has used resources like that to get his first role as a pen tester ;D

For concepts and where to start etc, I'm a self taught front end dev so probably not the best person to ask in your case but everyone always seems to recommend python as a good starting place. Plenty of resources on the learnprogramming subreddit - https://www.reddit.com/r/learnprogramming/wiki/faq

What industry qualifications would you recommend to get a front end junior role?
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #674 on: July 13, 2021, 09:06:23 am »

Thanks a lot Claire much appreciated  :)

I'll take a look at both when I get a minute!

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #675 on: July 13, 2021, 11:35:12 am »
What industry qualifications would you recommend to get a front end junior role?

I don't know of any specifically, a lot of people seem to come through the bootcamp route these days, I think it's cos front end is so overwhelming now and I get that completely. When I started out it was pretty simple and the core still is html/css/javascript - though js wasn't what it is now, there was no frameworks, node didn't exist, so when it came to learning it was quite clear. The bootcamps give people a stack and a path, but there's also free/cheaper equivalents out there, the thing that will be missing in the free route is mentorship and peer group, but you can also find that on forums and reddit. It's putting the time in and building things to prove what you can do, they don't have to be unique polished brilliance, and learning git early on would pay off for any junior in many respects!

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #676 on: July 13, 2021, 02:02:57 pm »
I don't know of any specifically, a lot of people seem to come through the bootcamp route these days, I think it's cos front end is so overwhelming now and I get that completely. When I started out it was pretty simple and the core still is html/css/javascript - though js wasn't what it is now, there was no frameworks, node didn't exist, so when it came to learning it was quite clear. The bootcamps give people a stack and a path, but there's also free/cheaper equivalents out there, the thing that will be missing in the free route is mentorship and peer group, but you can also find that on forums and reddit. It's putting the time in and building things to prove what you can do, they don't have to be unique polished brilliance, and learning git early on would pay off for any junior in many respects!

I'm working on a front end js project right now, although by no means a js programmer (I have a very good backup).
Totally agree with Claire's points.  Learn git first.  I won't pretend it's easy as conceptually it makes little sense and you don't understand why. But there isn't much to it, and you should have a firm grip of the basics in just a couple of hours.
The other thing which Claire alludes to is JS written 'for' the browser is almost a different language to js for node.  I've been around js files to enhance html for years, but js with webpack and node is a game changer.
None of this is intended to discourage you, but hopefully nudge you down a decent path.  Good luck!

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #677 on: July 13, 2021, 06:38:12 pm »
Thanks to Claire and PaulF. Just having the right keywords to look up helps a lot in knowing where to look.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #678 on: July 14, 2021, 08:38:06 am »
freecodecamp is pretty good, a lot of ground is covered now - even an interview prep section ;D A lot of it is in the browser but they do also get you to build either on codepen or your own editor.

Fairly sure codecademy had a git course that was free (and a terminal one that was quite cool), that said, it's like Paul said there's not a lot to it but it just seems super weird when you first start out and obviously, it'll seem less scary when the files you're working with are test files than a few grands worth of new feature. Learn it on terminal/cmd before you touch a gui.

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #679 on: July 14, 2021, 12:46:17 pm »
I’ve had a look at some bootcamps which cost around £8k! Then some courses on Eventbrite which are around £500 but unsure as to how good they will be.

I’ve also looked at a Cyber Security courses on OU which looks fantastic but takes 6 years part time and as I have a full time job my weekends would be all about studying therefore no free time to relax, ah!

Ideal situation would be to land somewhere in a entry/junior role and get on a course through them but that is very rare.