Author Topic: RAWK Web Development Circle  (Read 118965 times)

Offline wacko

• Keepsh a shecret gottle of Shcotch in hish top drawer. Cunning linguist and ical genius
  • Legacy Fan
Re: RAWK Web Development Circle
« Reply #160 on: December 17, 2008, 08:53:41 am »
I'd ask for an hourly rate, and give him an estimate for the number of hours based on as detailed a spec as you can get. They always come back with big changes late on.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Offline wacko

• Keepsh a shecret gottle of Shcotch in hish top drawer. Cunning linguist and ical genius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #161 on: December 17, 2008, 09:11:28 am »
Ruby where one just freely connects to a database and works on presentation in the same file:

Code: [Select]
dbh = Mysql.real_connect("localhost", "root", "root", "somedatabase")
puts "<b>HI EVERYONE</b>"

Just as you can in PHP.

Like I said PHP is far more deployable and scalable than Ruby and Python.

I will concede that the function naming conventions are completely messed up in PHP and far better in Ruby and Python. But clients don't care about that. That want a site that is going to be developed quickly, won't have to be refactored like a RoR project inevitably will a hundred times and they want portability. Which you don't get with Ruby on Rails and Python. PHP is on 99.9% of web servers. Ruby is supported on less than 1%. Rails even less.

If you feel you are more qualified to speak on the subject. Feel free to show me your experience.
That's putting HTML in Ruby, not Ruby in HTML. You don't have a drop-in replacement for an HTML file, you have a CGI script. That's not even vaguely the same thing.

I know how it works: everything I've ever sold was written in PHP, and it is boss for getting a small site up and running as quickly as possible, but  it's still a shit language with some major design flaws that encourages very bad habits.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 10:45:14 pm by wacko »

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: December 17, 2008, 09:12:44 am »
yeah but what's dean06's opinion, nobody wants to listen to an amateur like you wacko
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Mudface_

• Boys Pen
« Reply #163 on: December 17, 2008, 10:23:37 pm »
I think wacko's learned a valuable lesson here. dean06 created the internet and knows more about it than anyone, ever.

You'll never get a job on the information superhighway, wacko- your cards are marked.

Offline chap114

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: December 18, 2008, 04:36:27 pm »
Hi,
Was on this thread last night just having a read (almost everything went over my head) but then I got a call from a mate today asking for a favour and was wondering if someone could maybe help.

The scenario is this:

My best mate just got told he has been made redundant as from yesterday but has the opportunity of taking over a sister company.  Its seems to be on some sort of pay as your play basis for him, ie he is self employed and will get paid in line with how well the company is doing.
I'm not really 100% of the situation at the moment but thats what I'm getting from it.
Anyway, the company has a website which looks pretty dire and he asked me if I would have a look at it and maybe update it.

He asked me as I am the only one of our chums that work within IT, however my web development is limited to say the least, I work with Oracle in work and even then I have only been in the job less than 2 years.
However, obviously I said I would have a look at the site form him and see what I can do. 
He doesnt want anything to fancy I dont believe just something better to look at.

So here is where am I at.

My experience in web development involves very limited expericence in C# and VB.NET
I did create a site before however, it was built with a plug/drop and drag program and hosted by the people who developed the program.

There is a live site at the moment, so its a case of redevelopment.

I'm not sure really where to begin with this in regards to getting access to it etc

What do I need to get me going?  What questions do I need to ask? Who set up the site/runs it/hosts it/has access to it?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Cheers,
Phil

Offline wacko

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: December 18, 2008, 04:49:39 pm »
What would you need VB.NET etc. for? Couldn't you just build a static site in Dreamweaver?

Sounds more like a job for Photoshop.

Offline chap114

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: December 18, 2008, 04:54:48 pm »
What would you need VB.NET etc. for? Couldn't you just build a static site in Dreamweaver?

Sounds more like a job for Photoshop.
I didn't say I would need VB.NET I jsut said I had a limited knowledge of them.
The actual building of the site is not my main concern.  More how to get access to it etc.

Ta

Offline wacko

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: December 18, 2008, 05:46:42 pm »
Presumably, you'll need to find out who's hosting the site, and the username and login to their web configuration site, or perhaps a shell user login.

At any rate, you'll most likely need an FTP/SSH login to get at the website's actual files.

Your mate might want to have the domain name transferred to him and get his own hosting account.

Offline chap114

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: December 18, 2008, 09:32:26 pm »
Presumably, you'll need to find out who's hosting the site, and the username and login to their web configuration site, or perhaps a shell user login.

At any rate, you'll most likely need an FTP/SSH login to get at the website's actual files.
OK.
So I need to find out who is hosting the site.
Their credentials for the web configuration site or a shell user login?

Your mate might want to have the domain name transferred to him and get his own hosting account.
I will mention that to him.

Thanks for this wacko

Offline wacko

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: December 19, 2008, 05:42:31 am »
OK.
So I need to find out who is hosting the site.
Their credentials for the web configuration site or a shell user login?
Ideally, both. The former usually controls the latter. It's likely that there is no shell login, just FTP.

Offline chap114

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: December 19, 2008, 08:12:57 am »
Ideally, both. The former usually controls the latter. It's likely that there is no shell login, just FTP.
Grand job.

I will be chatting to him later on today and I need to be asking him:

1) Who hosts the site?
2) The credentials for the web configuration site
3) Shell user login (if there is one)
4) FTP login credentials

Anything else I am missing etc?

As I say I am happy enough to sit and develop away at a site, its just the architecture of where the site is, how to access the files/update them etc that I am not sure about.

Cheers,
phil

Offline wacko

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: December 19, 2008, 11:18:53 am »
The login credentials for the web admin are most important, because that's where you set the other credentials.

Basically, if it's your mate's website, he wants to be in control of it, meaning the domain is registered in his name and he controls (i.e. owns) the hosting package.

Offline chap114

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: December 19, 2008, 11:50:35 am »
The login credentials for the web admin are most important, because that's where you set the other credentials.

Basically, if it's your mate's website, he wants to be in control of it, meaning the domain is registered in his name and he controls (i.e. owns) the hosting package.
Cheers for all this man.
I have been speaking to him this morning and asked him to find out, who is in control of the site at the moment, who is hosting it, login details for that host and ftp details if available.

Think once I get them and am able to get in and have a look about I will be alot happier.

Thanks agian for your help.
Phil

Offline chap114

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: December 19, 2008, 02:20:19 pm »
Got this back from my mate.

FTP server: ftp.*****.com
FTP username: *******
FTP password: ******

How do I get on from here?

Got it going  :wave
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 02:32:24 pm by chap114 »

Offline chap114

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: December 19, 2008, 02:33:49 pm »
Can anyone reccommend a good FTP program that doesnt expire in 30 days.  At the moment I am using CuteFTP

Offline wacko

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: December 19, 2008, 06:13:34 pm »
I use Filezilla on Windows. It's free. I use Windows so rarely, I couldn't tell you if it's the best one though, or even that good these days.

Offline Kerant

• Hertha Berlin Supporters Club, Member No. 00001
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #176 on: December 19, 2008, 08:51:06 pm »
Can anyone reccommend a good FTP program that doesnt expire in 30 days.  At the moment I am using CuteFTP

It expires in 30 days, but Smart FTP is excellent I think, and you can easily "acquire" the license for it.

Offline Degs

• sy's midnight runners.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: December 19, 2008, 08:52:41 pm »
Filezilla on Windows

Offline Fletchinho

• slightly better than Gerrard...
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #178 on: December 28, 2008, 02:32:50 pm »
FileZilla for both Windows and linux. The FireFTP extension for firefox is quality too.

Offline Kerant

• Hertha Berlin Supporters Club, Member No. 00001
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #179 on: February 6, 2009, 04:45:10 pm »
Hey guys,

I'm graduating from University in July this year and have started to look for jobs.

I have come across the role of "Web Content Manager" and it has me very interested.

Does anybody have this job? I've looked at available jobs but they are limited, and seem to require a lot of experience. I was just wondering if anybody had any tips about this role, and maybe an idea of how to pursue a career in this field.

Cheers.

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• Michael Pain the tittie-fixated inflatable doll salesman
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: June 26, 2009, 05:11:29 pm »
Thought I'd bring this sucker back to life.

Right so since I last posted here I've done pretty much fuck all in the way of programming except for basic stuff, so I decided I needed a little bit of structure and direction in my quest for knowledge and signed up for a PT foundation degree.

The course is based around ASP.NET, so I was wondering what software you use for programming in it?

The reason I ask is that I am a Dreamweaver hound and have been led to believe that it no longer supports .NET, does anyone out there use Dreamweaver for programming or can they suggest a similar alternative?

I would prefer to stay with Dreamweaver as the course is also based around it's use and I work a lot more efficiently in it, is there any plug-ins for DW to add support for .NET?

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: June 27, 2009, 02:11:55 pm »
All the .NET devs in our place use Visual Studio, I think there's a free version but I may be talking bollocks cos I don't use it.

Offline wacko

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: June 27, 2009, 02:36:37 pm »
I don't mean to be sarcastic, but wouldn't it make more sense to throw Dreamweaver away and do it by hand, given that you're trying to learn?

It's a great program and that, but it's not the platform, like Flash, it's just a code-generating tool. I'm sure you'd get a lot more out of it if you wrote the code by hand, at least until you understand it well enough to see it all as boilerplate.

Offline Mudface_

• Boys Pen
« Reply #183 on: June 27, 2009, 04:10:09 pm »
Free version. For a flying start, drag and drop the various controls, see what markup gets generated and then try amending it yourself.

Offline wacko

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: June 27, 2009, 11:15:47 pm »
Free version. For a flying start, drag and drop the various controls, see what markup gets generated and then try amending it yourself.

That's a lovely-looking IDE, to be sure, but the way he goes about using it gives me the fear.

Is ASP.NET just a different/better version of PHP? Please tell me C# is better than that.

Offline The Jackal

• GENESIS 1:1
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Form is temporary, class is permanent...
« Reply #185 on: June 27, 2009, 11:21:03 pm »
That's a lovely-looking IDE, to be sure, but the way he goes about using it gives me the fear.

Is ASP.NET just a different/better version of PHP? Please tell me C# is better than that.

from what I understand, .NET is just the framework, you can use various languages within it - such as C# or VBScript (though I think C# is the most popular). So .NET isn't really comparable to PHP in that sense I don't think.
Blanco y en botella. Es leche, no?

Offline Mudface_

• Boys Pen
« Reply #186 on: June 27, 2009, 11:39:47 pm »

In terms of a web framework, it probably is 'just the same'. In terms of a programming language C# is light years beyond PHP. As for the IDE, it's superb.

Offline The Jackal

• GENESIS 1:1
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Form is temporary, class is permanent...
« Reply #187 on: June 27, 2009, 11:57:49 pm »
In terms of a web framework, it probably is 'just the same'. In terms of a programming language C# is light years beyond PHP. As for the IDE, it's superb.

OK, so would a better comparison be like Zend>PHP against .NET>C# or something?

I believe that .NET is generally favoured for enterprise level apps, whereas PHP is a lot more popular for smaller-scale home-baked stuff..

Don't really know that much about .NET at the mo, am just starting to learn some C# and finding it a lot more difficult than PHP to be honest (early days though).
Blanco y en botella. Es leche, no?

Offline wacko

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: June 28, 2009, 01:12:14 pm »
As far as I know, it's as you say: .NET is the overarching and underlying framework (Common Language Runtime and libraries) and there are different languages running on top of it. C# is just one of those languages. IronPython and IronRuby are CLR implementations of Python and Ruby respectively.

I've no idea exactly how ASP.NET fits into this, or what the difference to normal ASP is (libraries?).

Is there not some kind of MVC framework for web applications or is it just like PHP?

Offline Mudface_

• Boys Pen
« Reply #189 on: June 28, 2009, 01:22:27 pm »
ASP.NET is the web application framework. You can use any .NET-compliant language for your coding and even mix and match if you wish. There's a standard library of controls available similar to the WinForms controls so you don't have to recreate the wheel every time, although you can extend them or roll your own controls if you want to. 'Classic' ASP is a scripting language like PHP- ASP.NET avoids the usual problem of spaghetti code mixed in with your mark up by allowing you to cleanly separate your code from HTML.

There is an ASP.NET MVC framework- http://www.asp.net/mvc/

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: June 28, 2009, 11:44:28 pm »
I don't mean to be sarcastic, but wouldn't it make more sense to throw Dreamweaver away and do it by hand, given that you're trying to learn?

It's a great program and that, but it's not the platform, like Flash, it's just a code-generating tool. I'm sure you'd get a lot more out of it if you wrote the code by hand, at least until you understand it well enough to see it all as boilerplate.

You see I tend to do things arse about face, I learned to use DW and looked at the code it generated and learned from that to hand code HTML & CSS.

Although I know .NET (C#) is a different ball game althogether I have attempted to use it before and have worked in visual web developer as well but got lost and basically gave up.

I just thought maybe there would be something in DW as I learn best when I'm using familiar tools that's all. Cheers to everyone for your suggestions

Offline wacko

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: June 28, 2009, 11:54:39 pm »
Cheers, Mudface  :)

Although I know .NET (C#) is a different ball game althogether I have attempted to use it before and have worked in visual web developer as well but got lost and basically gave up.
I know what you mean. Learning a language is usually pretty easy compared to learning the libraries and frameworks that go with it.

Apart from tutorials, I like to take apart existing applications of increasing complexity to see how they're put together.

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #192 on: June 29, 2009, 12:54:55 pm »
.net is getting easier and easier with all the wizard stuff theyre implementing. and also the code it generates now is actually decent code now.

java/jsp/c#.net, PL/SQL, css, xml/xsl.
did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?

Offline wacko

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: June 29, 2009, 06:36:19 pm »
Not like the wonder that was FrontPage's HTML output (or Word's for that matter).

Offline Mudface_

• Boys Pen
« Reply #194 on: June 29, 2009, 09:50:04 pm »
What wizard stuff is this? Fuckers never told me.

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: June 30, 2009, 01:55:17 pm »
What wizard stuff is this? Fuckers never told me.

It's the Katie Price Edition, comes with sleeve of wizard plugin

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #196 on: June 30, 2009, 02:56:35 pm »
sleeve of wizard

That Roy Wood is a demon hacker.

Offline Degs

• sy's midnight runners.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: June 30, 2009, 02:57:28 pm »
Anyone know of an alternative to SQL Yog I can use at home without it running out after 30 days?

Ta.

Offline Mudface_

• Boys Pen
« Reply #198 on: June 30, 2009, 03:30:59 pm »
Isn't there a free version of it?

Offline Mudface_

• Boys Pen
« Reply #199 on: June 30, 2009, 03:31:37 pm »
It's the Katie Price Edition, comes with sleeve of wizard plugin

Bloatware.