Author Topic: Roy Hodgson tells Glen Johnson to get his act together  (Read 129486 times)

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Roy Hodgson tells Glen Johnson to get his act together
« Reply #120 on: November 13, 2010, 12:04:06 am »
Seriously ?

The guy is continually undermining the squad to try to build a picture to the public / press about how tough a job he has and how well he is doing with it

This is a daily / weekly event, not an isolated incident

It just appears that it's a daily event to try and grab some excuse to hammer the manager.  This isn't taggart we're talking about here.  This is the manager of Liverpool football club.  You know, the club we supposedly support.

Offline rako

• Anny Roader
« Reply #121 on: November 13, 2010, 12:04:21 am »
If it was Rafa saying that most of the people here would say he's right.

I think Hodgson's right and does have a point, Johnson's been poor most of the times he's played this season, I'd stick with Kelly for the next few matches at the very least.
YNWA

Offline rafa4sure

• Anny Roader
« Reply #122 on: November 13, 2010, 12:04:36 am »
Roy's in today's Daily Mail saying what a good player Poulsen is and how he is "devestated," at the treatment he's recieved from us.
The booing was out of order to be honest.

Offline HarryLabrador

• went broke, so had to get the retrievers in.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: November 13, 2010, 12:04:41 am »
He never had this amount of attention from the media before Liverpool. He is loving the limelight and like every ham actor, has no idea how pathetic his performances have been.
SoS Membership Number: 387

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: November 13, 2010, 12:04:45 am »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/aug/28/rafael-benitez-steven-gerrard-poor-form

That really doesn't prove anything. Hodgson's comments are much worse and I'll bet that's one of the few times Rafa talked negatively or positively about an individual player to the press. With Hodgson, it just keeps on coming.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Promised to never post on RAWK again

• Might be Estonian_Red, but I wouldn't trust a word he says. In fact don't trust anything anyone says... EVER.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • Where Amazing Happens
« Reply #125 on: November 13, 2010, 12:05:02 am »
So Roy thinks that Carra is Carlos Alberto, and Glen needs to play like he wants his position back? I am slightly confused...

Don't be confused ... We are talking about the man that has sold Roberto Carlos, because he was ''not good enough'' ...
The internet is a bad place - People like Mac Red are on it.

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: November 13, 2010, 12:05:27 am »
So Roy thinks that Carra is Carlos Alberto, and Glen needs to play like he wants his position back? I am slightly confused...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hKvNoqgDX0&playnext=1&list=PL3FE881DEA4A6E263&index=58
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Offline Fanxxxxtastic

• Will be very sadly missed on RAWK and elsewhere.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a proud cyber terrorist!
« Reply #127 on: November 13, 2010, 12:06:13 am »
So thus far Roy doesnt seem to have rated Johnson, Agger, Jovanovic, Pacheco, Aquilani and Babel (for a time Lucas as well until it became obvious Poulsen wasn't up to scratch) strangely that's mainly players who play in an attacking manner. Hmmm

I find it quite odd that he's openly attacked Glen, while at the same time, and on the same day defending Poulsen.
http://twitter.com/Fanxxxxtastic

"A big heart has space for everyone" - Rafa Benitez

Smash the cull!  Smash the BNP!

Offline hedger

• ows
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: November 13, 2010, 12:06:50 am »
overpriced right back on huge wages. wonder who bought him?

Offline Rohit

• nol
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: November 13, 2010, 12:06:55 am »
Just cant believe hodgson had it in him to be such a poison to this club, i mean continully chatting shit the media to make himself look the victim. Oh the last manager left me with players that are worse than fulham, well be lucky to finish top half. Oh we have beaten chelsea but dont make a habbit of it remember my players are shit, my keepers not english enough. Oh torres doesnt play well enough with his back to goal and his not injured when he clearly is, oh and Carra is the greatest remember bestest ever!
His only saying this shit coz he doesnt have the balls to drop carra and knows soto and skrtel are needed at centre half.

Offline JovaJova

• Advises you to avoid premature Jovaculation.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: November 13, 2010, 12:06:57 am »
It just appears that it's a daily event to try and grab some excuse to hammer the manager.  This isn't taggart we're talking about here.  This is the manager of Liverpool football club.  You know, the club we supposedly support.

Apart from the fact that this is as clear an example of cause and effect as you are likely to see

You said, I think I'm like Tennessee Williams, I wait for the click, I wait but it doesn't kick in

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: November 13, 2010, 12:07:14 am »
The booing was out of order to be honest.
Not the point really though is it?
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
  • Not very good at 'banter'.
« Reply #132 on: November 13, 2010, 12:07:33 am »
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/6263287/Rafa-Benitez-must-keep-Steven-Gerrard-and-Jamie-Carragher-on-his-side-at-Liverpool.html

How's a write-up, mostly opinion, by Henry Winter, somehow evidence in favor of Roy Hodgson's LATEST public symptom of foot-in-the-mouth-itis?
Ludi Circenses!

Offline Fanxxxxtastic

• Will be very sadly missed on RAWK and elsewhere.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a proud cyber terrorist!
« Reply #133 on: November 13, 2010, 12:07:49 am »
well said roy

Why 'well said'?

Tell me why you agree with him.
http://twitter.com/Fanxxxxtastic

"A big heart has space for everyone" - Rafa Benitez

Smash the cull!  Smash the BNP!

Offline rafa4sure

• Anny Roader
« Reply #134 on: November 13, 2010, 12:08:24 am »
Johnson hasn't played well this season but neither was Torres until recently. Roy's not getting the best out of a quality attacking talent. Roy sort it out, and please stop talking.

Offline downtown

• abbewy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Sarina
« Reply #135 on: November 13, 2010, 12:08:34 am »

offensive RBs are always expensive, because they are rare and a gem to have in the right set up

Barcelona paid 34M for Dani Alves

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: November 13, 2010, 12:08:37 am »

Benitez did. Care to further elaborate?
Ludi Circenses!

Offline ACLE

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #137 on: November 13, 2010, 12:08:53 am »
Not the right thread but so fuck. But for all of us going to the game tomorra please take all our aggression with vocal support for Liverpool FC tomorra. Whatever 11 we put on the field support and don't boo a red shirt. That will not help LFC. Fuck the manager but support the team and us.
It's not where you've been, it's where we're going.

JUSTICE DELAYED IS JUSTICE DENIED but Justice is getting closer every day.

• Might be Estonian_Red, but I wouldn't trust a word he says. In fact don't trust anything anyone says... EVER.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • Where Amazing Happens
« Reply #138 on: November 13, 2010, 12:10:01 am »

So, you think that we should sell him to the Spurs in January ?

Offline Rohit

• nol
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: November 13, 2010, 12:10:09 am »
offensive RBs are always expensive, because they are rare and a gem to have in the right set up

Exactly Inter wanted over 30m for maicon who wanted to go real madrid who only offered 25m. Maicon is 29 and still holds that value becuase of his attacking intent, sergio ramos cost 25m aswell at 19 and its becuase his a great defender its becuase his attacking intent he gives to the national team and real madrid.

Offline hedger

• ows
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: November 13, 2010, 12:10:10 am »
Why 'well said'?

Tell me why you agree with him.

I agree with him cos Johnson is playing like a pub player instead of englands first choice right back. and if rumours are true he is skulking about waiting on a move back south ASAP. Was a poor signing by Rafa - vastly overpriced imo

Offline RedinExile

• credulous ingratiating simpleton
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: November 13, 2010, 12:10:28 am »
Benitez mate, the best manager in 20 years. Thought you'd know that. Call yourself a Liverpool fan, cuh.
There are always more fortresses to torch.

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #142 on: November 13, 2010, 12:10:30 am »
Don't be confused ... We are talking about the man that has sold Roberto Carlos, because he was ''not good enough'' ...

Roy still doesn't like attacking fullbacks?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hKvNoqgDX0&playnext=1&list=PL3FE881DEA4A6E263&index=58

Such a gentleman.

Offline hedger

• ows
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: November 13, 2010, 12:10:50 am »
So, you think that we should sell him to the Spurs in January ?

players swaps would appeal more

Offline jDJ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: November 13, 2010, 12:11:22 am »
The timing of it is remarkable too - out injured currently so can't even react, just has to sit in the stands brooding.  It was thoughtless, that's why the comparisons to Rafa's quite clearly considered comments of Gerrard are misjudged.  Houllier thought long and hard before going public with his criticism of Gerrard too, even apparently, speaking to Gerrard's family before doing so.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: November 13, 2010, 12:12:14 am »
I find it quite odd that he's openly attacked Glen, while at the same time, and on the same day defending Poulsen.

He needs to remind everyone there is a massive rebuilding job, that expensive flops are standing in his way while he tries to back the players he has signed himself (which, to be fair, is what we can expect him to do and what he should do).

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline GrkStav

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: November 13, 2010, 12:12:19 am »
I agree with him cos Johnson is playing like a pub player instead of englands first choice right back. and if rumours are true he is skulking about waiting on a move back south ASAP. Was a poor signing by Rafa - vastly overpriced imo

In one game in the recent past?

Rumors about Johnson ''skulking about waiting on a move back south ASAP"???

I think the last 'sentence' is the long and the short of it. You're just an anti-Benitez fanatic, aren't ya?
Ludi Circenses!

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #147 on: November 13, 2010, 12:12:36 am »

The problem is said manager doesn't make it very hard for people to find something to criticise. On Wednesday it's all "Kelly, Ecclestone, Shelvey. Look at what I have to make do with". Two days later it's "Glen Johnson hasn't played well enough and Kelly will keep his place". Great way to alienate two players in the same position within a couple of days. I agree that Johnson's performances were below par, but fucking hell, he hasn't played for a couple of weeks now. Why come out with a statement like that now, after the guy hasn't even played?

It's simply bizarre and I could live with it, if it was a one off. However, with Roy it seems to be the norm rather than something extraordinary. "Famous win", "best performance this season" (vs. Everton), "Carra is playing well", "B-team", "Overstaffed", "Not a big enough squad", "The likes of Kelly, Ecclestone, Shelvey is all we have at the moment", "Kelly is great and Johnson has to fight for his place". He needs to shut the fuck up and the criticism will be much less. Not that people won't be complaining about our playing style (if it stays the same), but they'd have no reason to be talking about him talking shite to the press...

Offline Fat Scouser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: November 13, 2010, 12:12:38 am »
If it was Rafa saying that most of the people here would say he's right.

I think Hodgson's right and does have a point, Johnson's been poor most of the times he's played this season, I'd stick with Kelly for the next few matches at the very least.
It's called form. All players have a dip in it. Some of them need a kick up the arse, some of them need an arm around the shoulder, some need to be dropped until it comes back, some need to keep playing in order to recapture it. The one thing, I don't think any of them need is a public slatting in the papers.

And please nobody give me that link to Rafa talking about Gerrard last season. I don't need to read it. I remember exactly what happened. The papers were slatting Lucas to fuck. Rafa said it wasn't the youngsters but the senior players that needed to up their game. The papers fuckin battered the Spainard for attacking the English heart beat of the team.

The 2 incidences just don't compare.

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: November 13, 2010, 12:12:41 am »
No, the central tenet of the criticism of Hodgson was that 'he went public'.  Well so did Rafa and Houllier before him.

If then with the benefit of hindsight (I.e. proof that Rafa et al also criticised players via the media), the criticism relates to 'content' rather than context, then that changes the argument. 

It wouldn't be about going public, but would centre on 'what he said'.

As has been pointed out to you already, there's a clear difference in both articles, Rafa's words were those of encouragement more than criticism, Roy on the other hand didn't hold back and essentially laid into Glen's perfomances this year depsite him being injured for much of the season.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: November 13, 2010, 12:13:07 am »
Apart from the fact that this is as clear an example of cause and effect as you are likely to see

At the end of the day he's got 12 points out of 15.  Since we got rid of G&H we've lost once out of six in the league (more if you wanna include the Europa), and that was the first game immediately after the takeover.  Admitedly painfull, as it was against Everton.

Don't get me wrong, football wise it's been awful to watch.  I go to most games, and thought last week v Chelsea was excellent, and v Blackburn was also good, but not much else.

But he's being crucified to such an extent on here that you get the feeling most on here just want him to fail, even if this means the team suffers.

To be honest it seems to be more prevalent on this forum for some reason, and thankfully doesn't really reflect the atmosphere at the match.

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • Where Amazing Happens
« Reply #151 on: November 13, 2010, 12:13:39 am »
players swaps would appeal more

Don't try to avoid the answer ... You are suggesting that we should send England's 1st choice RB to the team that has ejected us from the CL places this season, and make them even stronger ?

Offline hedger

• ows
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: November 13, 2010, 12:13:51 am »

please don't mention johnson in the same post as alves

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #153 on: November 13, 2010, 12:14:01 am »

And what exactly convinced you that he is a poor signing, over priced and on high wages. As far as I remember, there was a 'Our new Brazilian RB' thread that did the rounds for quite a while.

The big question is, what's a RB supposed to do to be considered a good one.

Offline Rohit

• nol
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: November 13, 2010, 12:14:27 am »
Funny thing is roy doesnt like to take criticism hell he doesnt even like journalists to question his methods.

Offline hedger

• ows
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: November 13, 2010, 12:14:55 am »
Don't try to avoid the answer ... You are suggesting that we should send England's 1st choice RB to the team that has ejected us from the CL places this season, and make them even stronger ?

make them stronger? have you seen him defending?

Offline Rococo

• mo-sissoko
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: November 13, 2010, 12:15:27 am »
I don't really have a problem with what he's said, Johnson is a great player on his day but unfortunately hasn't been too clever this season and does need to be producing his top form week in week out.  It might be because he doesn't suit the system (or vice versa) but really he needs to adapt to it - he should be good enough to do this.

Not sure if the article is accurate or not so don't want to say too much, but my take is that it's not clever to publicly slate your own players.  I don't care if any former manager has or hasn't done it before, it's just not good in my eyes. If this needed to be said to Johnson, then via the press is not the right way.

Offline Vidocq

• chronologically challenged LFC historian
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize
« Reply #157 on: November 13, 2010, 12:16:16 am »
Never said he was but he could be in the near future thats for sure.

At this moment Kelly is more solid and Johnson has been making too many mistakes.

true...

Johnson is not doing well to be honest...he lack of self confidence
"During those days I understood more than ever what 'You'll Never Walk Alone' means."  Luis Suarez

Offline downtown

• abbewy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Sarina
« Reply #158 on: November 13, 2010, 12:16:18 am »
make them stronger? have you seen him defending?

without johnson, we'd be out of EL in August.

fact

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: November 13, 2010, 12:16:35 am »
As has been pointed out to you already, there's a clear difference in both articles, Rafa's words were those of encouragement more than criticism, Roy on the other hand didn't hold back and essentially laid into Glen's perfomances this year depsite him being injured for much of the season.

Again I refer to the reason I posted those links - a few had criticised Roy for bringing things out in public, stating everything should stay 'in-house'.  I merely posted those to show that he wasn't the first.