Author Topic: The NFL Thread  (Read 2766246 times)

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
Re: The NFL Thread
« Reply #55760 on: January 13, 2020, 02:41:56 pm »

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55761 on: January 13, 2020, 02:46:00 pm »
Not sure I would call the NFL fans in the stadiums loyal. The Chiefs were getting booed at about 21-0 down, and the same happened last week when the Texans were 16-0 down to the Bills. Both teams came back to win, no help from those 'loyal' fans though.

The rednecks can get mad really really fast. It’s true.

Offline jedimaster

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #55762 on: January 13, 2020, 03:13:56 pm »
Eagles fans booed their side in the first home game after the superbowl win too ;D

Maybe they weren't say 'boo' but were actually saying 'boo-urns'. On an unrelated note, the Simpsons used to be good didn't it? :D
We do beg your pardon, but we are in your garden

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55763 on: January 13, 2020, 04:21:10 pm »
Maybe they weren't say 'boo' but were actually saying 'boo-urns'. On an unrelated note, the Simpsons used to be good didn't it? :D

:D

Funnily enough a colleague was telling me at lunch today they still watch it now and we were reminiscing when it used to be good

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #55764 on: January 13, 2020, 09:23:19 pm »
Say what you like about the chiefs and their regressive state, but their fans are damn loyal.

Still, i hope Henry runs it right up their ass. Their defence is suspect.

Doubt you're much a fan of Tennessee as a state either mate  ;D Then Green Bay voted for Trump and San Fran are your local rivals. #hardtimes

Either way, after resting after my nailbreak I watched both games today.

Mahomes had a nuts game to bring them back to the lead already at half time and then just roared on.

Green Bay vs Seattle was a bit meh as many other Seattle games are - it's just a Russell Wilson one-man desperation bid and I'm not surprised it ended in the meh-est way possible: a 1.49 long kneeldown.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 11:10:58 pm by Linudden »
Linudden.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #55765 on: January 13, 2020, 10:05:22 pm »
I see Antonio Brown is in the news again. Mike Tomlin must have the patience of a saint to put up with him for nearly a decade. Brown needs help

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55766 on: January 14, 2020, 07:12:14 pm »
ESPN Preparing Offer Between $10M-$14M Per Season To Tony Romo

Was he making this much as Cowboys QB? ;D He is the best analyst out there though.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #55767 on: January 15, 2020, 02:15:30 am »
Luke Kuechly retires. We’re so screwed

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #55768 on: January 15, 2020, 03:04:48 am »
Brady to join the Panthers

LSU's Joe Brady that is, he's to become Panthers OC   ;)
#Sausages

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55769 on: January 15, 2020, 03:49:30 am »
Good for him.

Hopefully he can lead a pain free life from now on.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55770 on: January 15, 2020, 06:13:20 pm »
did anyone watch "Killer Inside" of Netflix about Aaron Hernandez?

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #55771 on: January 16, 2020, 12:08:03 am »
did anyone watch "Killer Inside" of Netflix about Aaron Hernandez?

Just finished it and it's all pretty fucked up. Can't help but kind of feel sorry for everyone involved. Hernandez seemed to have been a pretty messed up person and it's kind of sad what he was apparantly going through. Doesn't change the fact that he was also a nasty piece of work and from what is presented in this I don't really get how he was not found guilty in the second murder case where those two men were shot in their car.

I was also surprised that I found something to like about Robert Kraft, but in general the NFL and also college football don't come off well. Seems like nobody looks after their players as long as they do what's expected from them and as long as they're successful. Their health and well-being comes second basically. Although  that's probably the case in a lot of professional sports...

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
« Reply #55772 on: January 16, 2020, 06:05:28 am »

fantastic player, cant say im not surprised but the dude is always full throttle and in the thick of it, financially he should be set for life and hopefully coming out in good health, good for him

retirement announcement
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXBzlcq7HEM
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 06:19:35 am by Armand9 »
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238

Offline MadErik

• Legacy Fan
  • NS
« Reply #55773 on: January 16, 2020, 12:23:33 pm »
Kuechly could become a defensive 'Romo' in the commentary booth, should he choose to.
"I was only in the game for the love of football -- and I wanted to bring back happiness to the people of Liverpool."

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #55774 on: January 16, 2020, 12:40:09 pm »
Not sure I would call the NFL fans in the stadiums loyal.

Me neither from what I've seen.

In general fans seem very quick to turn on players and teams if things aren't going well. Whether that be via booing at the ground, half empty stadiums or criticism on social media. As an outsider it feels like people are quick to turn on NFL players and coaches. Not a huge amount of patience in some quarters.

Obviously we get this a bit in football too. Not necessarily at the ground at any regularity. Needs a lot to happen for you to get that groundswell of opinion and for it to transmit into audible criticism at a football ground or for people not to attend games.. For example the Xhaka thing at Arsenal comes after years and years of frustration and under performance with the team. At Liverpool it's been very rare. I think the example of Lucas being booed when he came on as a sub in 2007-08 is probably the closest I've witnessed to a real show of frustration and criticism that seemed massively out of touch with reality Maybe there are other examples I'm forgetting. Seems more of a social media thing around English football.

I do wonder if how people support teams in some ports sometimes filters through to other sports on social media at times. Or maybe people just feel more comfortable criticising behind a screen rather than in person. No matter where they are from or what sports they follow.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55775 on: January 16, 2020, 06:12:26 pm »
 ;D

Per multiple outlets, an arrest warrant has been issued for #Browns WR Odell Beckham. He is being charged with simple battery.

He slapped the ass of a cop during #LSU's post-game locker room celebration.

https://twitter.com/RossDellenger/status/1217852619487576065

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #55776 on: January 16, 2020, 06:28:31 pm »
alright he shouldn't have done that, but neither should they be pressing fucking charges against him. absolutely ridiculous.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55777 on: January 16, 2020, 06:48:41 pm »
alright he shouldn't have done that, but neither should they be pressing fucking charges against him. absolutely ridiculous.
agreed

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
  • "C'MON YOU MIGHTY REDS!"
« Reply #55778 on: January 16, 2020, 07:22:16 pm »
Has anyone seen the video that Antonio Brown posted on social media for the world to see? What an absolute imbecile this guy is.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55779 on: January 16, 2020, 07:30:52 pm »

Slapping the ass of a cop and getting away with it, Seriously?

That just isn't happening in any City, anywhere. Except maybe Amsterdam.

If he slapped the ass of a Cheerleader the internet would want him shot at dawn.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #55780 on: January 16, 2020, 08:15:37 pm »

Was he making this much as Cowboys QB? ;D He is the best analyst out there though.

The NFL TV rights are up soon, & reading another forum, apparently ABC are going to bid for the Sunday games that CBS currently have[AFC road games], Fox are expected to go for SNF, with NBC going for the package Fox currently have[NFC road games], my guess they all retain the packages they already have, but pay a lot more money to retain them.
#Sausages

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55781 on: January 16, 2020, 08:21:09 pm »

I doubt he goes to ESPN unless CBS is unwilling to match or be close money wise. He cant do the super bowl there.

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #55782 on: January 16, 2020, 08:25:04 pm »
I doubt he goes to ESPN unless CBS is unwilling to match or be close money wise. He cant do the super bowl there.

As i've just said TV rights are up soon, depends who gets what package, my feelings the broadcasters will retain the packages they already have, but have to fork out more money.
#Sausages

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55783 on: January 16, 2020, 11:20:42 pm »
Has anyone seen the video that Antonio Brown posted on social media for the world to see? What an absolute imbecile this guy is.

when the money runs out, and it will eventually, can you even imagine where this guy will be?

he has the mentality of a child and as good as he was as a WR, doesn't even come close to how dumb he is, and he was a fucking awesome WR

and the steelers organisation from the front office to the players look like angels now for putting up with this dumb fuck

even his most ardent fans must be fed the fuck up with him by now, dude is in a downward spiral and he aint stopping till he plants his face in the concrete

the nfl is hypocritical as fuck if a player is talented enough but i cant believe any organisation will touch him no matter how desperate, he's done in the nfl, he's irrelevant without it and as his social media dries up over time, it will dawn on him eventually

dude, you're done
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 11:24:51 pm by Armand9 »
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55784 on: January 17, 2020, 12:37:03 am »
As i've just said TV rights are up soon, depends who gets what package, my feelings the broadcasters will retain the packages they already have, but have to fork out more money.
Yea but I doubt abc would get it

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55785 on: January 17, 2020, 01:04:22 am »
I was also surprised that I found something to like about Robert Kraft, but in general the NFL and also college football don't come off well. Seems like nobody looks after their players as long as they do what's expected from them and as long as they're successful. Their health and well-being comes second basically. Although  that's probably the case in a lot of professional sports...
basically it’s the army but they get paid way more

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55786 on: January 17, 2020, 01:06:25 am »
Slapping the ass of a cop and getting away with it, Seriously?

That just isn't happening in any City, anywhere. Except maybe Amsterdam.

If he slapped the ass of a Cheerleader the internet would want him shot at dawn.
chad Johnson is another arse slapper

https://youtu.be/rQ0YjnR9Sjg

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #55787 on: January 17, 2020, 06:53:40 pm »
Interesting, the new CBA is under discussion, plus TV contracts are up, apparently the owners want an expansion to 17 regular season games, with a reduced pre season, the extra regular season game game will be at a neutral venue, the plan is to have 19 week regular season with teams getting 2 bye weeks, maybe expand the playoffs, most likely to 16 team playoffs, 8 teams from each conference
#Sausages

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55788 on: January 17, 2020, 08:30:07 pm »
Interesting, the new CBA is under discussion, plus TV contracts are up, apparently the owners want an expansion to 17 regular season games, with a reduced pre season, the extra regular season game game will be at a neutral venue, the plan is to have 19 week regular season with teams getting 2 bye weeks, maybe expand the playoffs, most likely to 16 team playoffs, 8 teams from each conference

I don't mind the playoffs expanding in theory but I'd rather they didn't and the rest of it is shit.

Greed greed greed.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #55789 on: January 17, 2020, 08:35:29 pm »
I don't mind the playoffs expanding in theory but I'd rather they didn't and the rest of it is shit.

Greed greed greed.

Agreed, the playoff system is fine as it is, if it was 8 team playoff each conference this season, you'd have had the Steelers in with 8-8, Broncos in with 7-9 from the AFC, Rams 9-7 & Bears 8-8 would have been in from the NFC
#Sausages

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55790 on: January 17, 2020, 08:49:30 pm »
Agreed, the playoff system is fine as it is, if it was 8 team playoff each conference this season, you'd have had the Steelers in with 8-8, Broncos in with 7-9 from the AFC, Rams 9-7 & Bears 8-8 would have been in from the NFC

Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #55791 on: January 17, 2020, 08:56:41 pm »
keep the playoffs as they are. it's not broken.

as a viewer I'm largely in favour of 17 games though.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #55792 on: January 17, 2020, 09:50:00 pm »
Would the 17 game plan be to have one international game per round all of the regular season then? Maybe that's how Spurs "get a franchise" if they get eight games a year  ;D I reckon a 17th game could also take the NFL to rugby markets such as Melbourne, Sydney, Tokyo, Paris, Dublin, Edinburgh and Cardiff. This probably would mean permanent fixtures of Toronto and Mexico City as well. For Stockholm to get one would seem like utopia, but it'd be interesting to attend it.

As for the playoffs, I think it works fine as it is, but if it would be eight I'd prefer it to be absolutely tied to the division and not to conference. As in, the top two teams of any division make the playoffs - period. Teams #7 and #8 wouldn't matter much either way. They'd just prolong their suffering one more game.

As the Ravens' and Chiefs' early goings proved, a bye-week for the playoffs is not the end-all-be all when it comes to the playoffs. I doubt losing it would make that much a difference.

Playing the Super Bowl one week later also wouldn't do anyone no harm if that's their call. It feels a bit forced to play it in the very early February. The broadcasters wouldn't want a clash with the Daytona 500, but one week later is entirely doable, thus fitting in the extra game of the regular season without forcing players to play in too extreme heat in September.

Personally, I think they might as well play the Pro Bowl either before the new season or a couple of weeks after the Super Bowl, so all top players can participate. For this year, one of Mahomes and Henry won't be around for example. It's not a proper all-star game when the best two teams' players are ineligible. I can understand the rationale of having people tune in during the bye-week, but might as well play the national college championship final that weekend instead.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 09:56:41 pm by Linudden »
Linudden.

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #55793 on: January 17, 2020, 10:04:14 pm »
They may do neutral site games but they wouldn't all be overseas.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #55794 on: January 17, 2020, 10:08:30 pm »
They may do neutral site games but they wouldn't all be overseas.

San Diego, St. Louis and Oakland getting consolation games perhaps?

They really could make something great out of neutral site games - like an annual Dallas vs Houston game at the University of Texas turf, et cetera. It has a lot of potential if used right.

In fact, if they make the 17th game all about inter-division local games every year, I'd be all for it. Make Rams-Chargers, Eagles-Steelers, Jets-Giants, Ravens-Redskins, Dolphins-Buccaneers etc annual compulsory occurrences.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 10:32:43 pm by Linudden »
Linudden.

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #55795 on: January 18, 2020, 02:01:04 am »
Jason Garrett agrees to become new Giants OC
#Sausages

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55796 on: January 18, 2020, 04:03:49 am »
Jason Garrett agrees to become new Giants OC
I guess this is a good signing when you hire a rookie head coach but there's going to be a shadow hanging over Judge if things start to go wrong.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55797 on: January 18, 2020, 04:21:20 am »
i dont really know how good garret is to be honest, his time with teh cowboys could've been a lot worse but also a lot better, but having a OC who was a quarterback sat behind a hall of famer and with coaching experience all the way up to headcoach is a lot of experience to draw on and you'd think he'd be good for Jones' developement (i think jones looks pretty good when you iron out typical rookie problems) and im sure garret will be happy to be playcalling again, for him i'd say he landed on his feet

as said above, if judge turned out to be a dud, they have a coach in the wings they could plug and play for at least an interim period if need be

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #55798 on: January 18, 2020, 09:45:48 am »
Parts of Dallas' game did work last season, so for Garrett to focus on the area he's got expertise in might be really good for them.
Linudden.

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #55799 on: January 18, 2020, 11:05:55 am »
much clapping on that giants sideline next season.