Author Topic: Match Preview: UCL QF 2nd Leg City 0 v Liverpool 3 [10 April 2018, KO 19:45 GMT]  (Read 126905 times)

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
Considering that we wore orange against porto, I imagine we will do the same tomorrow.
Klopp has a top on with some orange in it that's why I asked. Served us well so far.
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
yellows are wiped off after this game.
Yes, after the game. Moreno will miss the next game if he gets booked in this game.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Caligula?

• Relentlessly negative about fucking everything. A smile would crack your face.....the most boring poster on the site
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
Wondering will Klopp have Salah on the bench and wait and see how the games pans out

Nah, fuck that. If he is fine and fit then start him and do the damage early on. It's the CL second leg quarters for fucks sake, you don't keep your best players on the bench and wait to see 'how the game pans out' even if you're 6-0 up from the first leg.

Yes, after the game. Moreno will miss the next game if he gets booked in this game.

I don't think there's any danger in him getting booked this game. ;D

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Nah, fuck that. If he is fine and fit then start him and do the damage early on. It's the CL second leg quarters for fucks sake, you don't keep your best players on the bench and wait to see 'how the game pans out' even if you're 6-0 up from the first leg.

We have the personnel to cope with City and to protect the 3-0 lead. The same goes for the league, we should be able to master 3 wins even without Salah (not saying we should, but we could) I'd rather make sure that he is fully fit for the CL semis.

;D

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
Mentally I'm taking the same approach to this one as the last game. If we go out, we go out. Fair play to City if they do it. We've done really well to get this far in the tournament this season I feel. As much of a collapse it would be I still think QF of the CL and top 4 again would represent some progression. Therefore I'm trying not to get worked up about it.

I just hope Salah is properly fit and we don't see him going off early due to a reoccurance. Wijnaldum done well against the Ev but he will not have half as much space or time in the midfield against City.
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
Anyone who thinks this is going to be straightforward hasn't watched much of Liverpool in European knockouts. One goal and it's surely out of their reach though.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
We have the personnel to cope with City and to protect the 3-0 lead.

I'd hope we're looking to score a goal or two rather than just protect the 3-0 lead, otherwise it's going to be a long night.

If he's fit then Salah starts. No waiting to see how it pans out.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
I know this is a case of recency bias but the 'you get lots of yellow cards you miss games' really is a stupid concept in all of football
The yellow / red card system works well to moderate player behaviour in games I don't see the need for additional penalty and I dont like anything that stops players from playing unless there's good reason

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
I know this is a case of recency bias but the 'you get lots of yellow cards you miss games' really is a stupid concept in all of football
The yellow / red card system works well to moderate player behaviour in games I don't see the need for additional penalty and I dont like anything that stops players from playing unless there's good reason

It's a concept that stops teams becoming out and out thugs who spend their entire time kicking people off the pitch knowing they might, at worst, get sent off in one game. Missing games after accumulating yellows acts as a deterrent for those who would abuse a system without it.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
It's a concept that stops teams becoming out and out thugs who spend their entire time kicking people off the pitch knowing they might, at worst, get sent off in one game. Missing games after accumulating yellows acts as a deterrent for those who would abuse a system without it.

I get the point I just don’t agree with it :)

Offline Zoomers

• Legacy Fan
  • Meow
One more sleep...
Shut the fuck up and put some respek on Lucas name playboy

Offline Fruity

• Batty. Box clever. Can weather all lifts. May in fact be Robbie Rotten.
  • Legacy Fan
  • a fruit is not just for christmas...
alf a pound of braeburns!

Offline nico 8

• Legacy Fan

I fully understand the rationale behind it and the only issue I have with the present system is that the the team in the next round benefits.
What about this idea- the first yellow carries into the 2nd leg and a a 2nd yellow is effectively a red. In that the opponent benefits from any transgression within the tie. The slate is then cleaned for the next round. This also prevents the losing team in the final minutes of going out from hacking their opponent.

Another idea is bringing the penalty shoot out to the end of 90 mins before extra time. The result is suspended pending the end of extra time. If it is still a draw, the shoot out winner wins. In this way, those who missed a penalty can redeem themselves. The biggest problem is the time delay between the shoot out and the start of extra time. Unlikely to be viable.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
I fully understand the rationale behind it and the only issue I have with the present system is that the the team in the next round benefits.
What about this idea- the first yellow carries into the 2nd leg and a a 2nd yellow is effectively a red. In that the opponent benefits from any transgression within the tie. The slate is then cleaned for the next round. This also prevents the losing team in the final minutes of going out from hacking their opponent.

Another idea is bringing the penalty shoot out to the end of 90 mins before extra time. The result is suspended pending the end of extra time. If it is still a draw, the shoot out winner wins. In this way, those who missed a penalty can redeem themselves. The biggest problem is the time delay between the shoot out and the start of extra time. Unlikely to be viable.

Or lets just leave the game as it is, it's functioned pretty bloody well thus far. :)

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer

It's not a perfect solution, but it does make some sense. I think they might look at when cards get wiped, as that's something that changes fairly frequently. Perhaps a rolling three or four match period rather than just letting them build up and then cleaning the slate. (I confess I'm not totally up to date on what the rules are right now.)
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!

First idea as something. Second idea is ridiculous.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
Anyone who thinks this is going to be straightforward hasn't watched much of Liverpool in European knockouts. One goal and it's surely out of their reach though.

I don't think anyone is thinking that way as far it being straightforward.

I expect they will score 2 goals, Aguero will improve them and he always seems to score against us. having said that, I expect that we will cause them problems defensively.

We also have a bit to prove to ourselves, and I am sure Klopp will mention it, after the last visit at their ground. I am sure they are looking forward to rectifying that. Based on what VVD was saying as well, no one will be thinking that this is done or that we will defend for an entire match and try to protect the lead.

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan

Not sure it would really prevent this. If a team was going out, and some of their players really wanted to kick lumps out of the other team, then they are going to do that irrespective of if they get sent off or not. Another yellow card (effectively a red card in your terms if they already have a yellow card from the 1st tie) isn't going to be a deterrent because they are going out anyway (i.e. not play in the next game). Being sent off and making it harder for their team to win the game won't matter because they are going out of the cup anyway.

The opposition should benefit from teams that have ill discipline. If your team progresses through the competition by bullying other teams and persistent fouling and generally distasteful play, then there should be a deterrent to such a team progressing. The point of having good discipline is to promote teams to play good football rather than turn matches into some sort of opportunity to be thugs. Fans don't want to watch a team just batter and bruise other teams in order to progress through the world's premier club competition. They want to watch fast paced, high intensity games between top level athletes where plenty of skills are displayed and players express themselves positively through feats of athleticism, innovation, charisma and style rather than ill tempered aggression, violence, cheating and generally poor sportsmanlike conduct. In other words, that's fans want to turn up and watch Man City or Liverpool rather than say Everton or whoever else Fat Sam or Pulis happens to be coaching.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
I think we'll keep a clean sheet.
Said it before the last game, I feel the same about this one.

Offline Caligula?

• Relentlessly negative about fucking everything. A smile would crack your face.....the most boring poster on the site
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
I'd hope we're looking to score a goal or two rather than just protect the 3-0 lead, otherwise it's going to be a long night.

If he's fit then Salah starts. No waiting to see how it pans out.

Absolutely. I've seen us blow enough two and three goal leads over the last couple of seasons (including this season vs. Sevilla) to casually watch us sit back and try and protect a lead against one of the best attacking sides out there. If Salah is fit he must start, and we go for the kill early on. We're more than 50% there.

Put City to the sword. Get a goal early on and they'll know they'll need 5. It'll deflate the fans and players alike. They'll start to force things. Misplace passes. Shoot from anywhere. Make rash challenges, get players booked or maybe even sent off. That has to be our game plan.

Offline nico 8

• Legacy Fan
Not sure it would really prevent this. If a team was going out, and some of their players really wanted to kick lumps out of the other team, then they are going to do that irrespective of if they get sent off or not. Another yellow card (effectively a red card in your terms if they already have a yellow card from the 1st tie) isn't going to be a deterrent because they are going out anyway (i.e. not play in the next game). Being sent off and making it harder for their team to win the game won't matter because they are going out of the cup anyway.

The opposition should benefit from teams that have ill discipline. If your team progresses through the competition by bullying other teams and persistent fouling and generally distasteful play, then there should be a deterrent to such a team progressing. The point of having good discipline is to promote teams to play good football rather than turn matches into some sort of opportunity to be thugs. Fans don't want to watch a team just batter and bruise other teams in order to progress through the world's premier club competition. They want to watch fast paced, high intensity games between top level athletes where plenty of skills are displayed and players express themselves positively through feats of athleticism, innovation, charisma and style rather than ill tempered aggression, violence, cheating and generally poor sportsmanlike conduct. In other words, that's fans want to turn up and watch Man City or Liverpool rather than say Everton or whoever else Fat Sam or Pulis happens to be coaching.

Point taken. I guess you mean Chelsea and not Everton.

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Good concept, but I'm with Jack disagreeing on the implementation. The teams that would suffer the consequences in the semis are probably us, Bayern, Real and Barca. You wouldn't think they are made of thugs. IMHO, this is a good concept until the round of 16, but from the quarters on that shouldn't apply.

If I recall, one of the first implementation of the idea lead to someone, a big player, missing a final, then they brought the wipeout concept at the semis. I'd bring the wipeout earlier.

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
Point taken. I guess you mean Chelsea and not Everton.

Football fans alike appreciate good football. Even though Man City are our rivals, you can't help but appreciate that they have consistently played a very high level of football and are a classy team who play in an attractive way. In contrast, teams that play a dour style should be admonished or criticised roundly - particularly if they have the resources to field players of a high skill level. This is why teams like Man Utd and Chelsea get criticised.

I used Everton in order to have a dig at Everton, but in reality you're right, Chelsea or Man Utd are better examples, Everton would never qualify for the CL anyway.  8)
« Last Edit: April 9, 2018, 08:30:06 pm by mrantarctica »

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
Absolutely. I've seen us blow enough two and three goal leads over the last couple of seasons (including this season vs. Sevilla) to casually watch us sit back and try and protect a lead against one of the best attacking sides out there. If Salah is fit he must start, and we go for the kill early on. We're more than 50% there.

Put City to the sword. Get a goal early on and they'll know they'll need 5. It'll deflate the fans and players alike. They'll start to force things. Misplace passes. Shoot from anywhere. Make rash challenges, get players booked or maybe even sent off. That has to be our game plan.

Those were leads within a game, this is a lead from the first leg, these are vastly different, and because of the negative experiences, the emphasis will be to keep doing what we did in the first leg.

We aren't going to sit back casually.

Offline jizzspunk

• Cumming soon. Or going. Depends how 'real' it gets. #livinginrealism
  • Legacy Fan

We have 90 minutes to score...this will ebb and flow...we need a disciplined positionally responsible start..we don't need an early goal..if they go 2 up then we score they still need another 3 again... patience peeps...that's why the clean sheet was massive
according to 24/7 I will be scrambling round for tickets on the exchange all season #STH #19awayclub

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
Superb OP to those who contributed.  :wellin

Well..where do i start,sad news when i lost me arl fella a few days before the 1st leg,he would have been 84 on the day it was played & what a birthday he must have had looking down watching.
Tomorrow he comes home & our lads (red & blue) will be with him for the game tomorrow before his send off on weds,i do hope it's one to be remembered!
He was a great red me arl fella,very knowledgeable supporter & his insight will be greatly missed.
Give it to them tomorrow redmen!
YNWA.
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Good concept, but I'm with Jack disagreeing on the implementation. The teams that would suffer the consequences in the semis are probably us, Bayern, Real and Barca. You wouldn't think they are made of thugs. IMHO, this is a good concept until the round of 16, but from the quarters on that shouldn't apply.

If I recall, one of the first implementation of the idea lead to someone, a big player, missing a final, then they brought the wipeout concept at the semis. I'd bring the wipeout earlier.

Yeah this is sounds right to me. I can’t really see a fair way to do it though because the more minutes you play (the more games your team plays) the more likely you are to be banned. It’s particularly problematic given how inconsistent and arbitrarily cards are applied by referees

• Legacy Fan

Well..where do i start,sad news when i lost me arl fella a few days before the 1st leg,he would have been 84 on the day it was played & what a birthday he must have had looking down watching.
Tomorrow he comes home & our lads will be with him for the game tomorrow before his send off on weds,i do hope it's one to be remembered!
He was a great red me arl fella,very knowledgeable supporter & his insight will be greatly missed.
YNWA.

Sorry for your loss mate, may he rest in peace. YNWA

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never forget the Hillsborough victims
    • Footy fans

Tomorrow he comes home & our lads (red & blue) will be with him for the game tomorrow before his send off on weds,i do hope it's one to be remembered!
YNWA.

Sorry for your loss.
Balotelli, Falcao, Cavani...

I'll be shocked if it's anyone other Etoo. Etoo or no-one. Simples.

In fact, I'll do you all a favor and ban myself from the January transfer window forum if we get anyone other than Etoo.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan

Here's an idea - if you don't want to miss a final, don't get a yellow card. They are entirely avoidable :)

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan

YNWA.

Sorry for your loss, mate.

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer

YNWA.

Sorry for your loss. I am sure Jurgen and the lads won't let you or your old man down
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals

YNWA.

Sorry for your loss mate.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
There are several results that impact upon the mentality of the players going into this one.

The 4-3 at Anfield taught us two things, firstly that we can overrun City when conditions are right but also that we can never relax. I think we showed we'd learned in the first leg and good job too because it matters more in Europe. The second result was the United game at the weekend, that taught us that City can batter a decent defensive team but also that they are vulnerable on the counter. That will have put the same fear into them that the 4-3 put into us. If you add in the first leg to that all three games show that if you have a good spell, 3 goals can go down in a short spell quite easily when City are involved, at either end.

We should respect them but show no fear, we can score as easily as they can. Let's make sure they are chasing 5 or more. After all there is no team that knows more than us that when you assume 3-0 at the half way point means it's over you can get a nasty shock.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Online BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

YNWA.
I'm sorry for your loss.

RIP your Dad.

Offline Yesitsanextender

• Colonel Mustard in the en-suite bathroom with a lead pipe.
  • Anny Roader
  • i love klopp, kloppy klopp klopp, down in my belly
Theres a huge difference between a)winning a game b) needing to score a number of goals and c) to not concede a number of goals. City have all three factors to consider....we on the hand can lose, concede, draw or not need to score....the pressure is well and truly with Manchester City

Online BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I'm looking forward to the game.

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Here's an idea - if you don't want to miss a final, don't get a yellow card. They are entirely avoidable :)
That's one school of thought. The other want to see the best teams competing with their best players. And the third is a coin toss between these two. Hopefully not the 1965 coin toss with Cologne... ;D

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

YNWA.
Condolences, mate. Hopefully he will be smiling up there in Kyiv.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
That's one school of thought. The other want to see the best teams competing with their best players. And the third is a coin toss between these two. Hopefully not the 1965 coin toss with Cologne... ;D

Then why have a contest at all? Just let Barca and Real duke it out every year. :)