Author Topic: Season 2007/8 - Where did it all go wrong?  (Read 14508 times)

Offline Barnes & Beardsley

• Anny Roader
Season 2007/8 - Where did it all go wrong?
« on: May 11, 2008, 09:18:41 pm »
Throughout the season most fans have said the off-field problems have affected our performances. Having broken the season into three months periods, it would appear that we were only performing slightly better before the shit hit the fan in the second period. Our form improved massively in the third.

First 3 months - 11 Aug - 10 Nov
P12, W6, D6, L0, Points 24, Dropped 12 from 36

Second period of 3 months - 11 Nov – 10 Feb
P13, W5, D5, L3, Points 20, Dropped 19 from 39

Third period of 3 months - 11 Feb – 11 May
P13, W10, D2, L1, Points 32, Dropped 7 from 39

The first period (11 Aug - 10 Nov) includes 6 draws where we dropped 12 points and 4 games were at home.
3 goalless draws against; Portsmouth, Birmingham and Blackburn
3 score-draws where we took the lead; Chelsea, Tottenham and Arsenal all at home
We were also performing poor in the Champions League. P4, W1, D1, L2

The second period (11 Nov – 10 Feb) includes 5 draws and 3 losses where we dropped 19.
2 goalless draws against Man City and Chelsea
3 score-draws against: Wigan, Middlesbrough and Villa. Again with Wigan and Villa we took the lead.
3 losses against; Reading, Man UTD and West Ham

The worst part and probably the most significant of the season was between 26 Dec- 30 Jan. 7 points out of 18. Dropped 11.
Derby away: 2-1 win (Alonso played the full 90)
Man City away: 0-0 draw (Alonso unused sub)
Wigan home: 1-1 draw (Alonso played the full 90)
Middlesbrough away: 1-1 draw (Alonso came on 59)
Villa home: 2-2 draw (Alonso unused sub)
West Ham away: 1-0 loss (Alonso played the full 90)

At the end of this period we were out of the race, however our performances in the Champions League improved and we managed to progress to the knock-out stages.
P2, W2

The third period (11 Feb – 11 May) was our best with only 7 points dropped.
2 score-draws against: Arsenal and Birmingham. Again with Arsenal we took the lead.
1 loss against Man UTD
We also had a great run in the Champions League getting to the semi-finals.

The positives of the season for me were Torres and signing Masch on a permanent deal. Hopefully we can build on what we did over the last three months next season. We’ve had two relatively poor seasons compared to what we did in 2004/5 and 2005/6.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 09:28:51 pm by Barnes & Beardsley »

Offline rushnaldo

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Season 2007/8 - Where did it all go wrong?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 09:20:36 pm »
wingers and full backs to put it in simple terms

Offline StuH

• Legacy Fan
  • Dalglish's marching army!
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 09:21:02 pm »
Tom Hicks and the home defeat against the scum in December were the two major factors to our downfall if you ask me.
He's a manipulative bastard. Another deliberate attempt to put pressure on people in the game, which he thinks he'll get away with because of his "standing" in the game and his fucking knighthood.

Offline cox3100

• Would love to congratulate Siralex.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • justice for the 96
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 09:23:09 pm »
the same thing that always goes wrong,we mess up in the middle of the season,the boardroom battle didnt help,but hopefully we`ll have that sorted soon

Offline a partridge in seat_5c

• blames English football
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2008, 09:29:50 pm »
rotation - Torres getting rotated out of the side at Portsmouth

we were going great guns till then

have to say though that boardroom battles aside, lack of trophies aside, financially it must have been a very good season for us with getting to within a whisker of YET ANOTHER CL Final, and getting 4th place meaning bar a catastrophe in August we will be making more money next season

anyone saying this season was shite cos we haven't won any trophies needs to get real - it wasn't, so stop throwing yer dummies out the pram, spoilt bastards

Offline Scottish-Don

• Maggie May, Kez, Kopbird, LFCMunkee and gerrardspetal in any order
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'Cause he's a dedicated follower of fashion
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2008, 09:34:46 pm »
D Agger getting injured.
Follow me on Twitter - @achtung_davie

Offline the red rebel

• Legacy Fan
  • our eyes hath seen the glory
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2008, 09:36:40 pm »
agger getting injured paco going,  losing to mancs at home. had we beat them at home wed have been mighty close to them.

it would have turned the season without a doubt.

Offline Milly B

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2008, 09:37:58 pm »
Finishing 9 points behind Utd with 7 of those being dropped against relegated teams (4 home & away v Birmingham and 3 away against Reading)

Offline alhLFC

• Main Stander
  • JFT96!
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2008, 09:40:17 pm »
wingers and full backs to put it in simple terms

D Agger getting injured.

for me, these are the two key reasons

Offline Scottish-Don

• Maggie May, Kez, Kopbird, LFCMunkee and gerrardspetal in any order
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'Cause he's a dedicated follower of fashion
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2008, 09:41:17 pm »
agger getting injured paco going,  losing to mancs at home. had we beat them at home wed have been mighty close to them.

it would have turned the season without a doubt.

True,

Getting beat away to Reading killed our season and that was just after we lost Agger
Follow me on Twitter - @achtung_davie

Offline larsen

• Kemlynite
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2008, 09:41:33 pm »
Totally unnecessary draws against teams like wigan, birmingham, spurs and so on at home. And with a bit of luck (and proper refs) it would've been 3p against chelsea and arsenal as well.

Guess we need one or two more players who can finish off those tight, tough matches.

Offline a partridge in seat_5c

• blames English football
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2008, 09:41:41 pm »
Finishing 9 points behind Utd with 7 of those being dropped against relegated teams (4 home & away v Birmingham and 3 away against Reading)

christ

don't mention Reading away

Peter Crouch, left winger, anyone ? (yes I did stab myself in the bollocks for writing "anyone?" - fair punishment, in fact, I think I got off lightly)

Offline choi

• of sex.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Toto
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2008, 09:43:52 pm »
i don't get why the alonso unused sub/sub/etc is there ???

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2008, 09:45:13 pm »

Shocking statistic, that. But it shows where our problem has lied this season. I'd love to see where we would have been if G&H hadn't been here this season. It sounds like a tremendously easy excuse but nobody can tell me the players weren't effected by events off-field in December/January.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2008, 09:48:44 pm »
Tom Hicks that's where it all went wrong.

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn"
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2008, 09:50:15 pm »
It hasn't been that bad. The Champions League campaign was perfectly acceptable, disappointing to go out in the semis yes but I think we might have a bit of a problem here in the future because people have become so accustomed to us staying in the competition right to the end that should a 'Benfica' happen again next season or we get eliminated earlier than the semis by a really good side, a lot of folk are sure to overreact.

The domestic cups, Barnsley aside, were nothing to moan about and the fact is you get upsets from time to time. The fact that they dumped Chelsea out in the next round is no consolation but it illustrates the point.

In the league we have finished 11 points behind the greatest team of all time!!! Seriously though most people's hopes were that we would challenge for the league but nobody really demanded that we actually win it. So effectively we have fallen short by 6 or 7 points. In fact if you want to be positive about it, the United results have been the difference between us and them, just as the Chelsea results were the difference a few seasons ago. People are saying we've drawn too many but there's no doubting that only 4 league defeats all season represents a big improvement even if it's not as big a points tally as the other year. We normally rack up more losses than that before Christmas!!!

Given all the turmoil and unrest this season we've done pretty well. The only thing that is halting our optimism is whether or not we will get the situation sorted in the summer. If we do then there is every reason to be optimistic IMO. A couple of top quality additions really could be all it takes because we know what we have to do, it's perfectly clear - get better results against our main rivals.

Offline MJL

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2008, 09:51:26 pm »
I would say the only thing to go "wrong" is the ownership.. Apart from that the simple fact is that we have drawn too many games

Offline xavidub

• Not on message, ennui
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Member No. 6218
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2008, 09:57:01 pm »
The draws against Portsmouth and Birmingham. After that we never regained momentum and were always trying to catch up. And as usual, no self-belief in games against man u. We also had a period in mid season when we didn't seem to be able to defend set pieces at all.
You have to try very hard to see what's going on in front of your face

Offline Cruiser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2008, 10:01:34 pm »
Both on and off the pitch the pre-Xmas and new year period screwed us over.

Then the curse of G&H showing up at our CL games proved true. Otherwise we'd be packing for Moscow right now.
If he retires I'll eat my fucking cock.

Great anti climax for those expecting jizzihno....

• Anny Roader
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2008, 10:02:34 pm »
I agree about missing Agger, however, Hyypia did a great job. He was probably our best defender all season. We only conceded 3 more than in 2005/6. We didn’t see agger again after 15 Sep, but he was an unused sub against Porto on 18 Sep. He was on the bench again on 12 Jan and 22 Jan, but was unused.

I included the bit about Alonso because a lot of us thought we missed him during the critical part of the season. Obviously he wasn’t fully fit after coming off against Arsenal on 28 Oct, but he was match fit.

Offline wickolfc

• Seriously Thick Feedback Tourist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "He's big an he's fuckin' ard"
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2008, 10:03:11 pm »
Shocking statistic, that. But it shows where our problem has lied this season. I'd love to see where we would have been if G&H hadn't been here this season. It sounds like a tremendously easy excuse but nobody can tell me the players weren't effected by events off-field in December/January.
Regardless, we should be beating those teams.

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2008, 10:07:40 pm »
Too many draws as simple as that.

We only lost 4 games all season.  1 against the Mancs.  Drew twice with Chelsea and twice with Arsenal.  Win 2 of those draws and beat the mancs, we would have won it.

Offline Gus 1855

• GusMcLean is a direct descendent of wee Jimmy the Jock McSporran, son of Ally McLeod, voted best Flower of Scotland performer 2003. Changed name in hope of attracting Bridesmaid but he's still Scottish as a Glaswegian deep fried Haggis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2008, 10:31:53 pm »
Agger and Alonso getting injured was big, I think they set the pace of our passing, and we struggled to play good football without them.

Obviously the uncertainy in November and December as far as Rafa is concerned did not help.
It looks to me as if we have signed another 'average' player. I'll hold back my complete opinion until I see the lad play

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat.
  • Super Title: Coming soon! Official Launch May 2008
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2008, 10:45:13 pm »
This is my opinion, and I'll never be convinced otherwise - it went wrong because of Rafa.

I really don't think we need a brilliant, tactically astute manager. We;ve got one now.

I've given it 4 years, evaluated it as I see it, and what I see is, like in the Houllier era, what I think many see already and many more will come to see over time - that Rafa is too inflexible - that he's become stale and staying on much further will only serve to damage his legacy.

We need a manager who can make the very talented group of players we have play to their best, who will send them out to win games, rather than not lose, who will play the players in form, and drop the players not in form, who will foster relationships with the players so they will give their all for him, who can motivate the players to consistantly perform their best, who will pick LFC's best side most suited to his style of play, rather than a side tailored to the opponents, a manager who will be flexible enough to see when things are not working and change accordingly, and quickly...

Rafa WILL NOT CHANGE and the reason I feel the way I do - I don't think Rafa will ever change his basic philosophies - and it's those philosophies which are harming us year after year in mounting a genuine league challenge.

I love Rafa as a man, and think he;s a brilliant manager. Fantastically analytical, great at setting the team up for one off games - I even firmly believe he could win the league with us if he changed a little in his beliefs.

But he won't.

Fair enough, the off field stuff was shite this season - but it's a managers job to control, or even use that. Some managers who shall remain nameless would use something like that to foster an us against them spirit in the team, often driving it on to greater success - we've all seen it happening...

Some of the best recent teams have succeeded at times of their greatest adversity - in spite of it - not folded because of it.

It's been something whispered about Rafa from his very early days - he's just not got enough of a relationship with the players for them to react to him in that way, to fight for him or to form that kind of bind.

Also, I don't hold much tack with "the ferguson theory"... What people miss out is that it;'s a very different era - one where sides could afford two seasons in 11th and 13th - that just can not happen to LFC - particularly now given the debt we have.

Also, in the last 45 years, a LOT of managers have won the english title - ALL of them have done it in their first four years in charge with the singular exception of Ferguson.

Many will say "look what happened when Man U stuck with a manager - but it's equally relevant to say look what happened when Man U DIDN'T - they got rid of Ron Atkinson, despite some recent cup success and respectable league finishes. - similarly, would arsenal be where they were now had they not got rid of Bruce Rioch, Chelsea had they not binned off Ranaieri?

History would suggest it's more likely Rafa is just another good manager doing a decent job, than that we'll clean all before us for the next 10 years if we keep him.

If it was as simple as sticking with a manager and eventually success will come, Crewe would be the best team in the country.

Frankly - there are plenty who could take our current team and get us better results in the league - and that is REALLY the one we all want.

Look at the teams at Everton, Villa, Portsmouth.

Do you really believe their team is better than ours?

Because it's like this - either their team is better than ours and deservedly close to us - or our manager is doing terribly with the group of players he has. At the time of the reading game we were doing well, only 3 points behind the mancs and 7 behind arsenal with a game in hand. Cue needless changes and fucking about, and 11 games later - yes, just 11 league games, we're over 20 points off the pace. Again.

That is the point when people say "who would you get better than Rafa" - the point is, we don't even necessarily need a manager tactically better than Rafa - we just need one who will allow a great squad of players to play football, one who can motivate them to be up for games, one who can give them belief, even one who can make good players better. One who picks a team and tactics to win games, not who picks a team and tactics to not lose...

NOW, I WILL admit that the above is perhaps unnecessarly harsh, however at the time it was written we were on the back of a run of one win in 11 league games, so I will claim slight temporary insanity, however, the basics are still what I believe. Rafa is a superb european manager, and could be so in the premier league as well, as he has all the tools - and that only Rafa is holding Rafa back - but I remain far from convinced he is willing to change his beliefs enough to enable us to mount a sustained league challenge.

We started well. We ended well. But there will ALWAYS be the other bit. The bit of the season where we drop points due to an inherently defensive mentality of the manager. The bit where we fall off the pace. The bit where TOO many changes are made too often. We've all seen over the last 3 months just what can happen with a settled side playing a formation where they all know their jobs.

Can we trust Rafa to do that for a whole league season next year?
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline buzzing

• Fart bottling, Men and Motors watching, meat washing scaffold erector.
  • Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2008, 10:47:37 pm »
Wide players (lack of)
Not enough crouch time
poor3 and 4th choice strikers.
Yanks
Should have started the season with a settled team
"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Offline El Campeador

• Capital of Culture's Campaign Manager...Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The shupporters create chances, for sure, djes
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2008, 10:51:54 pm »
Once again, not only did we fail to get near the top, but we failed to prevent United from winning it. In fact, we obliged by giving them 6 points. If these were the Danny Murphy years, United would be on 81 points, good for 3rd place.

Man Utd      87
Chelsea      85
Arsenal       83
Liverpool  76

Online Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2008, 11:23:04 pm »
Once again, not only did we fail to get near the top, but we failed to prevent United from winning it. In fact, we obliged by giving them 6 points. If these were the Danny Murphy years, United would be on 81 points, good for 3rd place.

Man Utd      87
Chelsea      85
Arsenal       83
Liverpool  76

United took 12 points off us effectively by doing the double and we were behind them by 11 points. We really need to start to beat them, or atleast not lose.

January killed it for us. We ground out a win at Derby (however ugly) and were still in the race, we were still within touching distance but then just shot ourselves in the bollocks for 3 weeks by not beating City, Wigan, Boro or Villa. It was poor and co-incided with the shit with the bastards from America being at its height.
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2008, 11:28:17 pm »
Fairly simple to me. Firstly, the agger and Xabi injuries, secondly Pako leavin, thirdly,  the utter humiliation of the club off the pitch and then finally finding a system that rafa likes and seems to work (or to put it a different way, cocking around with too many different systems and player patnerships during the season)

Add a couple of top quality players in the summer, add Sammy Lee as assistant manager and add a mentality that we're not going to get beaten, by anyone, and i think next season we'll go great guns to be honest.
And when you find yourself along the untrodden path
Remember me with a smile, a drink, a gesture or a laugh
And a toast for the man who loves every hour of every day
And a feast for the friends and faces met along way
Gratitude

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2008, 11:36:55 pm »
This is my opinion, and I'll never be convinced otherwise - it went wrong because of Rafa.

That is the point when people say "who would you get better than Rafa" - the point is, we don't even necessarily need a manager tactically better than Rafa - we just need one who will allow a great squad of players to play football, one who can motivate them to be up for games, one who can give them belief, even one who can make good players better. One who picks a team and tactics to win games, not who picks a team and tactics to not lose...

NOW, I WILL admit that the above is perhaps unnecessarly harsh, however at the time it was written we were on the back of a run of one win in 11 league games, so I will claim slight temporary insanity, however, the basics are still what I believe. Rafa is a superb european manager, and could be so in the premier league as well, as he has all the tools - and that only Rafa is holding Rafa back - but I remain far from convinced he is willing to change his beliefs enough to enable us to mount a sustained league challenge.

We started well. We ended well. But there will ALWAYS be the other bit. The bit of the season where we drop points due to an inherently defensive mentality of the manager. The bit where we fall off the pace. The bit where TOO many changes are made too often. We've all seen over the last 3 months just what can happen with a settled side playing a formation where they all know their jobs.

Can we trust Rafa to do that for a whole league season next year?

Right, so Nidge, could you tell me if you think, now that the seasons over, if you thik Rafa should be given the boot? I read the whole thing you posted and i fully understand the feeling at the time, but frankly I think even that whiskey nosed c*nt would struggle faced with the utterly shambolic bullshit that's been going on behind the scenes this year.

I think Rafa's actually learned something this year. I think he's found a system that he likes, a system where captain wonderkid enjoys playing and complements our star player in torres. If we can add a bit of flair and a bit of pace out wide i think we'll see an even bigger goals return than this year (and 119 is a pretty hefty haul for a liverpool team of recent years)

You did say it yourself in that post and I will put it to you as "Who better than Rafa?" :)
And when you find yourself along the untrodden path
Remember me with a smile, a drink, a gesture or a laugh
And a toast for the man who loves every hour of every day
And a feast for the friends and faces met along way
Gratitude

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat.
  • Super Title: Coming soon! Official Launch May 2008
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2008, 12:05:39 am »
Right, so Nidge, could you tell me if you think, now that the seasons over, if you thik Rafa should be given the boot? I read the whole thing you posted and i fully understand the feeling at the time, but frankly I think even that whiskey nosed c*nt would struggle faced with the utterly shambolic bullshit that's been going on behind the scenes this year.

I think Rafa's actually learned something this year. I think he's found a system that he likes, a system where captain wonderkid enjoys playing and complements our star player in torres. If we can add a bit of flair and a bit of pace out wide i think we'll see an even bigger goals return than this year (and 119 is a pretty hefty haul for a liverpool team of recent years)

You did say it yourself in that post and I will put it to you as "Who better than Rafa?" :)

I don't think Rafa should be given the boot - but I do believe he's on his last life. All he's proved in 4 premier league seasons is that he can't even get close to winning it. We can all cry about money, but the case is going to remain the same - we need a manager who can do it (or at least challenge) on what we have. If we're still 10+ points away next year, it'll certainly be the time to go.

As for Ferguson - he, like Mourinhio, have both won leagues on the back of similar stuff - from Ferguson being close to the sack years ago, to Ericsson being openly being courted for his job (and for Jose's at that) from having fan revolt, an unstable and unpopular takeover, Mourinhio spent a season arguing with his bosses.

Both turned all these things into an "us against them" thing for their sides - both used these things to WIN tities.

I HOPE Rafa has learned something this year. I genuinely do. I hope he's learned to stick to a system that works well for HIS team, and that he doesn;t need to change to suit the game the opposition want to play. I hope he's learned that, early in the season when you're flying and have a striker in a hot run of form, you don't drop him for two games, suffer poor results and derail your teams season by putting them in a dip it takes months to get out of. I hope he's learned that in this league, too many teams are capable of scoring if you lie back against them, and that it's not a good idea to go defensive when you go 1-0 up, as often it'll end in a draw. I hope he's learned that players get tired, players get niggles players lose form, and that THAT is the time to rest them - no player will be fit and well for all 60 games of a season, so rest them at the natural time, not before they need it. I hope he's learned that keeping a fairly regular side (as in the last two months) reaps better results. I hope he's learned that it's counter productive to drop players after a good performance, and to reward players playing well be keeping playing them.

Who better? In a sense, no-one. Rafa is a brilliant manager whose inate need to be tactical, whose need to defeat the other manager rather than let his team defeat the other team, whose core defensiveness and mindset to try to protect slender leads, is what holds him back.

I have no question Rafa has all the tools to win this league. It's just whether he can do it in pite of himself.
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline blackandwhitemammals

• Boys Pen
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2008, 12:06:39 am »
Beat the mancs home and away and we would have won it. Sounds alot, but the way i see it, the only reason they are champions is because they beat us home and away

Offline Personal_journalist

• Boys Pen
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2008, 12:08:38 am »
Clearly we should not have 2 people owning the club, unless they have 1 brain between em, not the 0 G+H have displayed.
Radio Merseyside interviewer to Shankly:
'Mr Shankly, why is it that your teams' unbeaten run has suddenly ended ... ?'
Shankly: 'Why don't you go and jump in the lake ?'

Offline DonkeyWan

• ker. Football Genius, Generously gives Young Jürgen pointers to help him improve.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I never met a man who wasn't...
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2008, 12:09:19 am »
I think last season we were 21pts behind united, they spent 50-70 million in the summer and we finished 11pts behind them. I said that if we finished within 10 pts of united I would be happy, 11 I'm satisfied.

I also think that some folk on here have some pretty unrealistic ideas of where the club is right nowm with some pretty unrealistic goals for the season. There also a lot of people on here who are not aware or don't want to be aware of the new economic reality facing the club, namely the richest teams wins. And we are not one of the richest teams.

So, you can babble about formations, missing links, managerial decisions, players not being good enough etc. You can look for players to give everything for the crest, to die for the club etc. There dozens of players and sides out there expecting the same. What differentiates the top from the bottom isn't clever tactics or passionate platers. Money buys quality, quality wins games. We can't compete at the top so we look for the best in the second tier and hope they can reach the same levels.

When they fail to do so people get upset. Pointless. Castigate the modern game, rail against the sysytem developed as a commercial enterprise, a sporting endeavour no more, that is why we failed to win this year and why we will fail to win again next year and every other year until we have the economic clout to match the spending power of United and Chelsea.

What about Arsenal you say? They have achieved so much under wenger. Wrong. Once United began buying titles in the early 90s, they had a monopoly, the only time it was broken was when the team had become satiated and required rebuilding. As soon as United lost a title they quickly came back the following year with even more spending, hence Arsenal's failure to put back to back titles together. In fact, the only time United failed to buy a league during the 90s was when they were outspent by Blackburn.

This did not change until Chelsea came on the scene and usurped Arsenal. What we are left with now is two financial juggernauts swapping titles with Arsenal and Liverpool in the next tier picking up the scraps. This will not change until either our financial situation or United and Chelsea's financial situation changes. Worryingly Arsenal are now entering the rich list, meaning we could become even more sidelined than before. Our biggest imperative this summer is not mangerial change, not a bevy of new players, but ownership change and the construction of the new stadium undertaken. Only that will allow us to compete in the medium to long term. In the meantime prepare for more fallow years.

Beatings will continue until morale improves...

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2008, 12:11:10 am »
still could not get more than half the total points against the top 3 teams.
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2008, 12:15:21 am »
Tom Hicks that's where it all went wrong.

Bullshit.

We weren't even close, and it wasn't all attributable to off the field affairs.
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2008, 12:16:24 am »
Beat the mancs home and away and we would have won it. Sounds alot, but the way i see it, the only reason they are champions is because they beat us home and away

That's bollocks. Chelsea would have won it. Oh, and Arsenal would have come second. We would have just about pipped the Mancs to 3rd.
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

• Anny Roader
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2008, 12:16:37 am »
The off-field problems really started around the Newcastle game 22 Nov. Rafa was not entirely blameless and I feel he should have handled a few situations differently.

Rafa: "It's not a draft system. We have free players available now. I'm not talking about players that cost money. We need to talk to the agents now, if not we will lose targets."

G&H: "Concentrate on preparing the team rather than on transfers."

Post match interview:
Rafa: "They don't understand the transfer window in Europe. They need to understand how difficult it is to sign players".

"They told me to be focused on coaching and training because Rick Parry will be looking after signing players".

"I am focused on training and coaching my team."

This whole debacle shouldn’t have been in the public eye.

Then the shit broke out in December about Rafa being sacked and G&H undermining him by approaching Klinsmann; due to poor results in the CL, points dropped in the PL and breakdown in communication. As well as the loans being refinanced, the debt and speculation regarding DIC in January.

Online west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2008, 12:20:01 am »
Aggar wasnt where it all went wrong because in most of the games where we dropped points we had clean sheet 0-0 or 1-1, and our defensive record was very good. There were too many games where we played some of the smaller teams and didnt finish our chances, producing the 0-0 and 1-1 results where we dropped most of the points we shouldnt have.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline kopulater

• Kemlynite
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2008, 12:24:01 am »
Just be honest, we are the 4th best this year again. We need several better players spread throughout all the positions,not just one or two areas. The Hicks problem is NOT a factor on our season, its just another lame excuse for some of us to put forward. Keep it real at all times.

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2008, 12:24:20 am »
The mess off the pitch and Reading away. Reading away has sort have been justified, given that he was in line for the sack had he not won 3 days later in Marseille.

Oh, and I'll say it again, more than a weakness in any particular area of the field, it's our inability at set pieces (defending and attacking) that's left us so far behind IMHO.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society