Author Topic: The Impact of COVID 19 on Sport...  (Read 850171 times)

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The Impact of COVID 19 on Sport...
« Reply #3000 on: March 24, 2020, 06:21:15 pm »
Most likely behind closed doors in May/June.  That's what I think anyway considering we're in lockdown for at least the next month.

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3001 on: March 24, 2020, 06:45:58 pm »
Itll be finished, but I don't see us starting before September.

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3002 on: March 24, 2020, 06:56:52 pm »
Have they given a reason as to why they've decided to go ahead and do that so soon?

National league havent confirmed anything regarding their league yet (5th tier)

Boreham Wood who are in a play off place their chairman has said he will only have 6 players in contract after 25th April which is final day off the season.

IF it did go the non league way then we are champions and Bournemouth Villa Norwich are down.

Online Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #3003 on: March 24, 2020, 07:30:10 pm »
What happens in any one season determines what happens in the following season. What happens in any one season is a result of what happened in the previous season. We must finish this season and then adapt from that point. If next season (whenever that might be) needs to be shortened or have no domestic trophies etc then you can only determine that AFTER the previous season has been completed. Whoever is in the Champions League, whoever gets promoted and relegated, whoever gets in the Europa League etc needs to be determined by completing this season that is already three quarters of the way through.

Too much is riding on it, too much money is at stake. Too much has already happened. You try telling Leeds they aren't getting promoted, you try telling Sheffield United that their incredible season so far means nothing. You try telling even Man United that just as they seem to have a run going and look likely to make top 4 that they have to wait another year without the Champions League. It is never ending. Null and voiding it is not on the table.

Online Original

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #3004 on: March 24, 2020, 08:07:58 pm »
Its mad how many of these helmets are still getting column inches with the same "the season should be null and void" line being trotted out.  How hard is it to get your head round the fact that the decision has been made, by the powers that be, along with all the clubs and shareholders, that's the end of it

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #3005 on: March 24, 2020, 08:27:57 pm »
Great gesture by Pep Guardiola

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52028743

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola has donated 1m euros to fight the coronavirus outbreak in Spain.

Guardiola, who is at his home in Barcelona, has been working with his lawyers over the past few days to work out the best way of using the money.

This will go to a donation campaign being promoted by the Medical College of Barcelona and the Angel Soler Daniel Foundation.

Spain is one of the worst affected countries in Europe.

Official figures show that 2,696 people have now died in the country and close to 40,000 are infected.

The money will be used to help purchase medical equipment and protective material for the hospital staff involved in treating those admitted to hospital.

The Catalan region is one of the areas in Spain which has the most concentrated number of cases.

It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Shanklygates

• This is not a Custom Title.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The runaway train.....
« Reply #3006 on: March 24, 2020, 08:40:47 pm »
Nice one Pep :thumbup
We are a team of one half.

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3007 on: March 24, 2020, 08:48:45 pm »
Yes hats off to him

Great gesture

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3008 on: March 25, 2020, 07:45:02 am »
Bayern Munich striker Robert Lewandowski and his wife Anna have donated €1 million Euros to support the ongoing battle against the global coronavirus outbreak.
“We’re all well aware of the difficult situation we’re currently going through,” the pair told German publication Sport Bild.
“Today we’re all playing on the same team. We need to be strong in this fight. If we can help someone, let’s do it. The situation affects all of us so we ask you to follow instructions and listen to those who know best.
"Be responsible. We believe we’ll be able to return to our normal lives soon. We’re in this situation together and we’ll endure it together.”

Elsewhere, Lewandowski's Bayern teammates Joshua Kimmich and Leon Goretzka recently launched a campaign called #WeKickCorona, in which they pledged €1 million Euro between them to kickstart a fundraiser to provide financial assistance to charities or social initiatives across Germany.

Their initiative has already raised more than €2.5 million Euros and has been supported by fellow Bundesliga players including Mats Hummels, Jonas Hector, Lukas Klostermann, Sebastian Rode, Julian Brandt and Nadiem Amiri, among many others.

GOOD JOBS LADS  :thumbup

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #3009 on: March 25, 2020, 09:52:49 am »
As a labour, lefty, liberal, Guardian-reading, tree-hugging pacifist, my blood has been boiling in a Daily Mail fashion seeing all these footballers posting videos of themselves doing bog roll keepy ups and exercising in their gyms and pools while I sit in my 2-bed gardenlees flat.

Multi-Millionaire footballers shutting up and donating millions of pounds to help EVERYONE going through this is exactly what I want to see. Brilliant from all of them.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #3010 on: March 25, 2020, 01:46:31 pm »
Bayern Munich striker Robert Lewandowski and his wife Anna have donated €1 million Euros to support the ongoing battle against the global coronavirus outbreak.
“We’re all well aware of the difficult situation we’re currently going through,” the pair told German publication Sport Bild.
“Today we’re all playing on the same team. We need to be strong in this fight. If we can help someone, let’s do it. The situation affects all of us so we ask you to follow instructions and listen to those who know best.
"Be responsible. We believe we’ll be able to return to our normal lives soon. We’re in this situation together and we’ll endure it together.”

Elsewhere, Lewandowski's Bayern teammates Joshua Kimmich and Leon Goretzka recently launched a campaign called #WeKickCorona, in which they pledged €1 million Euro between them to kickstart a fundraiser to provide financial assistance to charities or social initiatives across Germany.

Their initiative has already raised more than €2.5 million Euros and has been supported by fellow Bundesliga players including Mats Hummels, Jonas Hector, Lukas Klostermann, Sebastian Rode, Julian Brandt and Nadiem Amiri, among many others.

GOOD JOBS LADS  :thumbup

Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund players and directors are all also taking a 20% pay cut to aid other empoyees of the clubs.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #3011 on: March 25, 2020, 02:05:19 pm »
Its mad how many of these helmets are still getting column inches with the same "the season should be null and void" line being trotted out.  How hard is it to get your head round the fact that the decision has been made, by the powers that be, along with all the clubs and shareholders, that's the end of it

Indeed, the Euros have been moved so the season can be completed, also far too much money involved that the season has to finish, if the season was cancelled how will the clubs feel if they get no prize money & have to pay back money to the broadcasters, here's a breakdown of the money the clubs got last season, & remember with new TV deal this season that the money has gone up from this season.

#Sausages

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3012 on: March 25, 2020, 03:55:33 pm »
^ which is exactly why the season will be finished in one way or another

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3013 on: March 25, 2020, 04:10:53 pm »
If it's voided then nothing counts. Rashford's only good season ever is gone. De Bruyne's assists.

None of it happened. That's the way it has to be.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #3014 on: March 25, 2020, 04:28:55 pm »
As a labour, lefty, liberal, Guardian-reading, tree-hugging pacifist, my blood has been boiling in a Daily Mail fashion seeing all these footballers posting videos of themselves doing bog roll keepy ups and exercising in their gyms and pools while I sit in my 2-bed gardenlees flat.
Have you gone daft or have I been whooshed?

Multi-Millionaire footballers shutting up and donating millions of pounds to help EVERYONE going through this is exactly what I want to see. Brilliant from all of them.
Always good to see people being charitable, whether it's someone donating 1 pound or 1 million pounds
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3015 on: March 25, 2020, 05:32:40 pm »
Both Messi and Ronaldo have donated a million euros to help in Spain and Portugal respectively

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3016 on: March 25, 2020, 05:33:46 pm »
Both Messi and Ronaldo have donated a million euros to help in Spain and Portugal respectively

I think Messi's is split between Spain, and Rosario in Argentina, but yeah good gestures.

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3018 on: March 25, 2020, 07:18:22 pm »
https://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-athletes/richest-soccer/ronaldo-net-worth/

https://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-athletes/richest-soccer/lionel-messi-net-worth/

It's still a lot of money.  I've known plenty of richer fckers drive to the bank to deposit their $0.15 checks and who wouldn't give out a penny for anything.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3020 on: March 25, 2020, 07:51:44 pm »
Meanwhile, England captain Harry Kane has pledged..... To play again this season.

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #3021 on: March 25, 2020, 08:11:40 pm »
It's still a lot of money.  I've known plenty of richer fckers drive to the bank to deposit their $0.15 checks and who wouldn't give out a penny for anything.
Exactly. It doesn't matter how rich someone is, they still need to make the choice to give. It doesn't even matter if they're jumping on a bandwagon and doing it because everyone else is, they've still chosen to be influenced towards doing something good rather than not.

And no matter how wealthy they are it's also right that they encourage others (including much poorer people) to give what they can as well, because giving helps the giver just as much, if not more, than it does those who receive.

I'll now return to my usual cynical, grumpy self
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Online Ghost Town

• Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #3022 on: March 25, 2020, 08:12:08 pm »
Meanwhile, England captain Harry Kane has pledged..... To play again this season.
Glad to see he's taken it on the chin

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3023 on: March 25, 2020, 09:20:06 pm »

I think he will put money in just might not have reached the news yet.

As much as we slag footballers off at times I think quite a lot of them are showing their human side this virus affects everyone don’t forget.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3024 on: March 25, 2020, 10:38:31 pm »
NBA player Karl-Anthony Towns' mother is in a medically induced coma with Covid 19. Fingers crossed for her.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3025 on: March 26, 2020, 12:00:15 am »
I think he will put money in just might not have reached the news yet.

As much as we slag footballers off at times I think quite a lot of them are showing their human side this virus affects everyone don’t forget.
or he just wants to keep it private

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3026 on: March 26, 2020, 04:01:00 am »
Hats off to Pep for donating 1M but he could have donated twice!

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3027 on: March 26, 2020, 09:24:28 am »
Hats off to Pep for donating 1M but he could have donated twice!

I had a brief fume there before I realized.  ;D

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3028 on: March 26, 2020, 10:40:30 am »
Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund players and directors are all also taking a 20% pay cut to aid other empoyees of the clubs.

While that is a nice gesture on their part, you'd hope the finances of those clubs were not so precarious that the salaries of the regular employees were unsustainable otherwise.

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #3029 on: March 26, 2020, 11:00:47 am »
Wonder what’ll happen with the likes of Timo Werner and his clause. Read somewhere it ends in April, I think.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3030 on: March 26, 2020, 01:30:56 pm »
Bayer 04 - together with @FCBayernEN, @RBLeipzig_EN, and @BVB- will establish a €20M fund to provide assistance to first and second division Bundesliga clubs.

Maybe Leipzig will stop receiving so much shit now. This is amazing from all 4 clubs.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3031 on: March 26, 2020, 01:35:08 pm »
It is indeed, well played

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3032 on: March 26, 2020, 02:06:07 pm »
Paris St-Germain have made a 100,000 euro (£91,000) donation to France's Secours Populaire charity to help fight the coronavirus crisis.

Now this is truly taking the piss.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3033 on: March 26, 2020, 02:15:45 pm »
Paris St-Germain have made a 100,000 euro (£91,000) donation to France's Secours Populaire charity to help fight the coronavirus crisis.

Oil is low right now. They can only afford that much.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #3034 on: March 26, 2020, 02:43:26 pm »
While that is a nice gesture on their part, you'd hope the finances of those clubs were not so precarious that the salaries of the regular employees were unsustainable otherwise.

Yeah, I have no clue what the ins and outs of this is - maybe this is money for non contracted workers, which a lot of sports teams will employ during the season. This is one way of covering it. This is likely to go on for months and months, so everything helps, even the bigger clubs!

The 4 CL clubs this season from the Bundesliga are all putting the money they got from it into a fund to help the smaller clubs in the leagues who don't have as much fall-back finance wise, so that's a good thing.

Offline Durlmints

• Kicks Ass. Categorically denies being the now infamous antihero 'Chris from Wavertree'. Maybe he is. Maybe he isn't. Who knows? Henry the Mild Mannered Janitor? COULD BEEEE!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Mané & Salah, your defence is terrified!
« Reply #3035 on: March 26, 2020, 02:44:39 pm »

That's like me donating 55p and a packet of monster munch.
Crows attacked a pensioner in Hamburg after she mimicked a crow's call.
You claim a Wagon Wheel is a biscuit and you have the audacity to stick a Kit Kat in goal? You sir are a du

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3036 on: March 26, 2020, 02:46:02 pm »
Just thinking about the CL. No one knows when it will start, but it would be absolutely wonderful (if a little unlikely) if Atalanta went on to win it. The city of Bergamo has been absolutely decimated by this bastard. I was there last year, its one of the nicest places you could ever visit.
Wouldn't be much consolation to the people, but it would be great

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3037 on: March 26, 2020, 03:05:34 pm »
Just thinking about the CL. No one knows when it will start, but it would be absolutely wonderful (if a little unlikely) if Atalanta went on to win it. The city of Bergamo has been absolutely decimated by this bastard. I was there last year, its one of the nicest places you could ever visit.
Wouldn't be much consolation to the people, but it would be great

I think they'll settle for seeing football in Bergamo again, itll mean this fucking virus has passed.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3038 on: March 26, 2020, 03:07:06 pm »
Wonder what’ll happen with the likes of Timo Werner and his clause. Read somewhere it ends in April, I think.

He will probably play in the rest of our matches this season.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3039 on: March 26, 2020, 03:07:24 pm »
I had a brief fume there before I realized.  ;D
;D