Author Topic: Eastham Village  (Read 3356 times)

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
Eastham Village
« on: May 10, 2021, 01:35:27 pm »
It's fascinating in a bored kinda way to find out about them. 

We've been using the marine traffic app which tells you everything about each ship.  It's name, where it's from, where it's going and what it's carrying.

There's an LPG one that's been here a while now.  It's a beautiful bright red colour and the app says it's going into Eastham?  Is that Warrington/Runcorn area?
That app sounds interesting, especially as you can actually see the traffic coming and going from where you are.

I might know that red ship you mentioned. When I say "know" I mean see it. We often see a red ship tied up on the wall of the Mersey over there. It's not there today though.

Talking of Eastham. It's a nice little village. There is The Tap pub, which is very popular with bikers, and the Eastham Ferry pub. Both look out over the river. There is a lovely little café behind the Tap pub too, called Mimosa Tea Garden, which we always enjoy going to. Then there are woods along the Mersey with squirrels to feed. It's a nice little out-of-the-way place to spend an afternoon.

The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Eastham Village
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2021, 01:39:13 pm »
When we used to go through the Suez Canal, all the ships would be on the anchor waiting for the northbound convoy to come through before we could all go through on the southbound convoy (or vice versa). The pilot would go around from ship to ship checking who was giving the best deal (no one wanted to be at the back of the convoy, time is money). so a quick assessment of who was offering the most ciggies, whiskey and of course it had to be kippers for breakfast, believe it or not!
Alcohol, cigarettes and kippers. All universal currency. 😁
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2021, 01:41:10 pm »
That app sounds interesting, especially as you can actually see the traffic coming and going from where you are.

I use the Marine Traffic website all the time for work to keep track of where our rigs are. It's really useful - easier than using our internal work systems.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2021, 02:13:40 pm »

I might know that red ship you mentioned. When I say "know" I mean see it. We often see a red ship tied up on the wall of the Mersey over there. It's not there today though.

Talking of Eastham. It's a nice little village. There is The Tap pub, which is very popular with bikers, and the Eastham Ferry pub. Both look out over the river. There is a lovely little café behind the Tap pub too, called Mimosa Tea Garden, which we always enjoy going to. Then there are woods along the Mersey with squirrels to feed. It's a nice little out-of-the-way place to spend an afternoon.

Sounds lovely how you describe it, just our type of place too.

The red ship is unmistakable due to how bright it is and she's still out here now.  Been near enough a week since she arrived but the locals were saying it's not unusual for them to hang around when the weather's bad.  We've not had many really high tides either so maybe that's another reason the other 3 ships are also still here.

The app shows every commercial ship across the globe that's at sea or passing through the Suez and Panama canals.  When there's bugger all else to do it passes the time.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2021, 02:21:01 pm »
I know it all extremely well. My 99 year old Aunty lived in Eastham until she died last Monday. She loved getting taken down to the Ferry pub. Her best mate ran that cafe in the 70's / 80's.

Online Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2021, 02:30:07 pm »
I seem to remember that there was a little sort of wilderness area in Eastham. It was like a small valley that just mysteriously appeared just after going through the gate - like the land that time forgot, magical little place. Could have been by Plymyard lane, then again with my memory, who knows.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Online Franny

• RAWK Director of Geo-location
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2021, 02:52:39 pm »
https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/vesselfinder-lite/id918080862

This is quite good also, use it to track my son when he goes on sea trials

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2021, 02:56:14 pm »
I seem to remember that there was a little sort of wilderness area in Eastham. It was like a small valley that just mysteriously appeared just after going through the gate - like the land that time forgot, magical little place. Could have been by Plymyard lane, then again with my memory, who knows.

Dibbinsdale?
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2021, 02:56:42 pm »

Been the Tap a few times when I was riding bikes regularly.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2021, 03:07:17 pm »
I've been to & through Eastham loads of times, but only been to Eastham Ferry once, i suppose as it's out of the way & being reliant on public transport, but the daft thing is my local bus route 38/38A goes to Eastham Ferry, but Eastham Ferry has no Sunday service
#Sausages

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2021, 03:35:09 pm »
Mention of the ships and Gladstone Dock reminded me of a days work I did a few years ago. A few of us drivers were hired out for the day to Peel Ports, they had this massive cargo ship in Gladstone Dock, carrying steel from China. There was 65,000 tonnes of these 13m long steel plates that needed unloading from the ship and then moving to the other side of the port, into an area that used to be a part of the dock road. They had something like 5 days to unload the ship and get it out of the dock and it was mad panic. I moved about 300 tonnes of steel that day.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Online Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2021, 03:53:14 pm »
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2021, 04:04:50 pm »

Are the Eastham Ferry Hotel and the pub that you mention one & the same?  Can see on the map/street view that The Tap is in pretty much exactly the same place.  Looks like a decent spot for a drive over, a drink and a walk.

Used to live in Cressington and always wondered what that big building across the river was (no idea why I didn't look it up earlier, as I usually pursue little curiosities such as that!).

Offline jack witham

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2021, 04:52:27 pm »
The Tap as mentioned is more of a bikers pub but quite quaint.

Not a big fan of the Eastham hotel but serves a purpose if you want a drink.

The best pub in my opinion is the Hooton Arms which is on the way through the village.

Nice little old fashioned boozer worth a visit if in the area.
Form is temporary,Class is permanent.

Online Dr. Beaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2021, 04:53:41 pm »
I'm pretty sure there is a nice grassy, woody bit, right on the river with fine views of our beloved homeland.

Just noticed it has been mentioned above.
NAKED BOOBERY

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2021, 05:26:46 pm »
Been the Tap a few times when I was riding bikes regularly.

Went there a few times in the mid-90s.  It was really nice.  Remember a biker doing a wheelie in front of everyone as he was heading off home - he came off and fucked his bike up a bit. ;D

Not been there for a couple of years.  Like I said, my best mate lives nearby but I don't get to her neck of the woods often.  Last time I did we wandered up there, but didn't go in.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2021, 06:36:13 pm »
I know it all extremely well. My 99 year old Aunty lived in Eastham until she died last Monday. She loved getting taken down to the Ferry pub. Her best mate ran that cafe in the 70's / 80's.
I'm so sorry to hear about your Aunty. RIP.

Did you move these posts here and make this thread? Either that or I'm going senile and did it myself without my own knowledge. :rollseyes :)

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2021, 06:38:16 pm »
Went there a few times in the mid-90s.  It was really nice.  Remember a biker doing a wheelie in front of everyone as he was heading off home - he came off and fucked his bike up a bit. ;D

Not been there for a couple of years.  Like I said, my best mate lives nearby but I don't get to her neck of the woods often.  Last time I did we wandered up there, but didn't go in.

I bet there was a load of piss taking too ;D

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2021, 06:41:31 pm »
I bet there was a load of piss taking too ;D

Much was made of it ;D but to be fair a number of them helped work on his bike to try and get it up and running again - although he was still there with it a couple of hours later when we left!

I hear the viewing platform opposite The Tap collapsed into the Mersey a number of years ago and was replaced by a much smaller, concrete one?

Popcorn's Art

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2021, 06:43:31 pm »
Much was made of it ;D but to be fair a number of them helped work on his bike to try and get it up and running again - although he was still there with it a couple of hours later when we left!

I hear the viewing platform opposite The Tap collapsed into the Mersey a number of years ago and was replaced by a much smaller, concrete one?

Yeah, that is bikers for you, take the piss when you make a tit of yourself, then pile in and try help you fix it.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2021, 06:43:47 pm »
Are the Eastham Ferry Hotel and the pub that you mention one & the same?  Can see on the map/street view that The Tap is in pretty much exactly the same place.  Looks like a decent spot for a drive over, a drink and a walk.

Used to live in Cressington and always wondered what that big building across the river was (no idea why I didn't look it up earlier, as I usually pursue little curiosities such as that!).
The Eastham Ferry Hotel and The Tap are about 100 yards or so apart. We've been to both, but prefer The Tap. Before covid hit they had pigs in a sty at the back of The Tap and we'd take carrots and apples for them to eat. We went back over a couple of months ago but they'd gone. I assume relocated due the pandemic and the pub being closed.

Funny enough, we can see the Eastham Ferry Hotel from here, but I never knew what it was until we went over there the first time.

It's a good location to see ships too, if there at high tide when they can open the ship canal. The ships go right past in front of the pub.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2021, 06:58:16 pm »
Anyone who ventures over, do try the Mimosa Tea Garden. It's only small and quite Boho and arty. You go down the road, past The Tap pub then turn left at the bottom. It's tucked away on the left hand side. Nothing posh. Just a nice little place to sit outside.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 09:26:59 pm by Son of Spion* »

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2021, 07:35:19 pm »
Yep SoS, I split the topic off as it's good to have its own thread for a cracking area.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2021, 08:09:59 pm »
The Eastham Ferry Hotel and The Tap are about 100 yards or so apart. We've been to both, but prefer The Tap. Before covid hit they had pigs in a sty at the back of The Tap and we'd take carrots and apples for them to eat. We went back over a couple of months ago but they'd gone. I assume relocated due the pandemic and the pub being closed.

Funny enough, we can see the Eastham Ferry Hotel from here, but I never knew what it was until we went over there the first time.

It's a good location to see ships too, if there at high tide when they can open the ship canal. The ships go right past in front of the pub.

Is it walkable from the stations (Bromborough or Eastham Rake) or is it one to drive to?

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2021, 08:46:24 pm »
Is it walkable from the stations (Bromborough or Eastham Rake) or is it one to drive to?

Its just over two miles from the Eastham Rake station to the Tap Pub according to a route I worked out on this https://gb.mapometer.com/walking

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2021, 08:50:04 pm »
Its just over two miles from the Eastham Rake station to the Tap Pub according to a route I worked out on this https://gb.mapometer.com/walking

Thanks!  I meant more in terms of 'is it a nice walk or is it more just about the destination?' than the distance though ;D (I wasn't particularly clear in my question...!)

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2021, 08:57:02 pm »
Thanks!  I meant more in terms of 'is it a nice walk or is it more just about the destination?' than the distance though ;D (I wasn't particularly clear in my question...!)

My mate lives in Eastham village, pretty much smack in the middle between The Tap and the station.  I've not done the full walk myself, but going from the village to the pub is good, lots of nice scenery and a park along the way. The route from The village to the station is apparently nice as well, on a nice sunny day at least. Not one to make in winter by all accounts!

Popcorn's Art

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2021, 08:59:39 pm »

;D

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2021, 09:27:57 pm »
There use to be a ferry from Liverpool to that pier in Eastham (Ferry).
My aunty was born in 1921, she always said that when my nan (her mum) was carrying her as a baby she had a 'real' ghost experience on that little pier and every time my aunty went down there she felt really uneasy, always spooked as if there was a presence.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2021, 09:40:19 pm »
We've always driven there, so I can't really add to the input from other posters.

We only found it ourselves because we were staying a few nights at Inglewood Manor which is sort of South Wirral / Cheshire. In the day we just drove around to see different parts of Wirral. An old friend of ours had been down to the river at Eastham and mentioned it, so we thought we'd pop down there to have a look ourselves.

Until then, Eastham was just a place I remembered as somewhere we used to ride through on our bikes when we were kids and would ride to Llandudno or Conwy for a day out. There was a house somewhere around there off the main road that had Kop and LFC graffiti painted in big letters on the side. I used to love seeing it as we rode home from Wales, totally knackered and hoping we'd make the last ferry back across to civilisation. 😁

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2021, 09:45:05 pm »
We've always driven there, so I can't really add to the input from other posters.

We only found it ourselves because we were staying a few nights at Inglewood Manor which is sort of South Wirral / Cheshire. In the day we just drove around to see different parts of Wirral. An old friend of ours had been down to the river at Eastham and mentioned it, so we thought we'd pop down there to have a look ourselves.

Until then, Eastham was just a place I remembered as somewhere we used to ride through on our bikes when we were kids and would ride to Llandudno or Conwy for a day out. There was a house somewhere around there off the main road that had Kop and LFC graffiti painted in big letters on the side. I used to love seeing it as we rode home from Wales, totally knackered and hoping we'd make the last ferry back across to civilisation. 😁

Its lovely there, mates of ours go married there a couple of years ago, we stayed overnight,

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2021, 09:46:03 pm »
There use to be a ferry from Liverpool to that pier in Eastham (Ferry).
My aunty was born in 1921, she always said that when my nan (her mum) was carrying her as a baby she had a 'real' ghost experience on that little pier and every time my aunty went down there she felt really uneasy, always spooked as if there was a presence.
I'm only on my phone so can't link, but there are some nice old pictures of the ferry at Eastham on Google.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2021, 09:52:05 pm »
Its lovely there, mates of ours go married there a couple of years ago, we stayed overnight,
Great, isn't it.

A good base too, for people from outside the area who might want to stay somewhere nice that is also handy for driving around the sights Wirral has to offer.

We went to Eastham, Parkgate, Thurstaston, Caldy, Port Sunlight, West Kirby, Heswall and Raby Mere. Lots of country roads in between too.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 01:49:00 am by Son of Spion* »

Online Dr. Beaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2021, 11:00:27 pm »
Anyone wanting a base, for a look around the Wirral, I would highly recommend Inglewood Manor. Very old worldly, touch of the faded glory, but loads of character, and beautiful surroundings and grounds. Near Burton, Neston etc.
NAKED BOOBERY

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2021, 11:05:58 pm »
Just noticed it has been mentioned above.

;D :P

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2021, 01:02:33 am »

It's one of those more about the destination than the walk, the walk from Eastham Rake station would be a bit of a chore[it's 2 & 1/4 miles to walk from Eastham Rake station to Eastham Ferry], one of those take a bicycle if you have one & fancy the train.

As i've said Stagecoach 38/38A bus goes to Eastham Ferry every hour[it's every 30 minutes to Croft Retail Park, with hourly extension to Eastham Ferry], strangely there's no Sunday bus service to Eastham Ferry, few other buses stop Eastham Library or near the petrol station on the A41, again it's a bit of a walk, but not as far.

#Sausages

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2021, 07:33:07 am »
My cousin sent me this from an Eastham FB group, I always wondered what the ferry's would be like - but paddle steams. Amazing.:

A BRIEF HISTORY OF EASTHAM.
Eastham, one of the oldest villages on the Wirral Peninsula, inhabited since Anglo Saxon times and site of a ferry crossing from the early 14th century.
Eastham Ferry, first recorded in 1357, was once a vital river crossing but ceased operating in 1928. The early ferries were operated by monks from the Abbey of Saint Werburgh, the patron saint of Chester. By the late 1700s, up to 40 coaches each day arrived at a newly built pier, carrying passengers and goods for the ferry. In Victorian times it was a popular destination for day trippers. The 1857 ticket office (below) and part of the 1874 pier (above) can still be seen today.
Ferry routes from the Wirral to Liverpool across the River Mersey operated from various places, including New Brighton, Egremont, Seacombe, Woodside, Monks Ferry, Birkenhead, Tranmere, Rock Ferry, New Ferry, Eastham, Ince, Frodsham and Runcorn.
In 1724 Daniel Defoe in his book, A Tour Through England and Wales, wrote: “This narrow strip of land, rich, fertile and full of inhabitants, is called Wirall, or by some Wirehall. Here is a ferry over the Mersey, which at full sea is more than two miles over”. An account from 1750 also mentions using the Mersey ferry: “Here is a ferry over the Mersee…. You land on the flat shore on the other side, and must be content to ride through the water for some length, not on horseback but on the shoulders of some Lancashire man who comes knee-deep to the boat’s side to truss one up …”.
In the early 18th century it took a day to travel to Liverpool and back, via Eastham, but the rise of Liverpool and the emergence of Parkgate as a resort and harbour for Ireland demanded better roads into and across Wirral. The roads to Parkgate and the Mersey ferries were turnpiked in 1787 and also offered a main route from Liverpool to the south.
Paddle steamers were introduced in 1816 to replace the sailboats, but the demand for a service declined in the 1840s with the opening of a railway link between Chester and Birkenhead Woodside Ferry. In 1846, the owner of the ferry, Thomas Stanley, built the Eastham Ferry Hotel, one of two pubs that remain today. Soon after, the Pleasure Gardens were added to attract more visitors.
The entrance to the Pleasure Gardens was through a magnificent Jubilee arch which stood next to the Eastham Ferry Hotel and was built in 1897 to commemorate the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria. The gardens were landscaped with rhododendrons, azaleas, ornamental trees and fountains. Attractions included a zoo, with performing bears, lions, monkeys and antelope, an open air stage, tea rooms, bandstand, ballroom and boating lake. The bear pit is still there, along with the remains of three fountains, once part of the 19th century zoo.
One performer who once appeared at the Pleasure Gardens was Blondin, the legendary tightrope walker. During one act he is said to have pushed a small boy in a wheel barrow across a tightrope at a great height. The Pleasure Gardens eventually fell into disrepair during the 1930s and the iron pier and Jubilee Arch were later dismantled.
In its heyday Eastham Ferry was known as the ‘Richmond of the Mersey’, he ferry could cross the river in 20 – 45 minutes and moored at Liverpool. But its popularity declined during the 1920s and the last paddle steamer crossing took place in 1929. The Pleasure Gardens fell into disrepair during the 1930s and the iron pier and Jubilee Arch were later dismantled.
Today the site of the Pleasure Gardens forms part of Eastham Country Park, with pleasant woodland walks where you may encounter pieces sculpted from fallen trees by local sculptor, Bill Welch.
The early Eastham village clustered around St Mary’s church, which has been a place of worship since Anglo-Saxon times – a timber-framed wattle and daub chapel was in existence before the Norman conquest. The churchyard contains an ancient yew (below) which was reported to have been in existence in 1152, and estimated to be at least 1500 years old. A plaque by the tree reads:
“When in 1152 the abbot and monks of St Werburgh received the manor of Eastham at the hand of Earl Randall of Chester, the villagers of Eastham; entreated the new owners ‘to have a care of ye olde yew’ .
In 1854 the American novelist Nathaniel Hawthorne, whilst in Liverpool as United States consul, visited Eastham and declared it to be “the finest old English village I have seen, with many antique houses, and with altogether a rural and picturesque aspect, unlike anything in America, and yet possessing a familiar look, as if it were something I had dreamed about.”
In 1894, the Manchester Ship Canal was opened by Queen Victoria, bringing added prosperity to the area. Eastham Lock (below) forms the western end of the Manchester Ship Canal, and is the largest lock in the UK.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2021, 10:09:54 am »
Great little thread and interesting article JC...would've killed for that Ferry back over to Liverpool when I worked near Eastham in the 90's....absolutely hated the job (IT support in a claustrophobic office at Delphi Automotive) and the tortuous drive from Garston, across the bridge and M56 at rush hour - and used to escape to The Tap every lunchtime to forget about Windows NT Server, have a pint and stare longingly at the Cressington shoreline, where I knew id be walking my dogs later that evening...lovely little spot and boozer that I still visit now and then...didn't know about that cafe though SoS...so cheers for that ... 8)
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2021, 01:56:11 pm »
Yep, the Cressington front and Mossley Hill Church are clearly visible, its nuts how long it took me to get over from Allerton to Eastham to see my Aunty.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2021, 06:09:07 pm »
Living pretty much straight on the other side of the river, and having friends in Eastham, a ferry today would be great!

I do wonder if all the ferries mentioned in that article went to the pier head on the Liverpool side? Or would some have gone further up the river, to Garston or Widnes?

Actually according to that, they seemes to have just moored along the coast?! That seems a bit odd, proper piers on the Wirral side, and relying to people wading through the water on the Liverpool side to get everyone on and off...

(Maybe that story is yet another explanation for the woolyback term?)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 06:28:51 pm by redbyrdz »
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly