Author Topic: McAfee Expired  (Read 3407 times)

Offline jaytal

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
McAfee Expired
« on: May 22, 2006, 05:29:08 pm »
My McAfee expired last week but it's still performing virusscans and everything else it's supposed to do, at least I think it is anyway!

Anyway, has anyone else let their McAfee expire without renewing, and if so am I about to find my pc with more doses than Shrek did after he did the arl slapper?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2006, 07:18:17 pm by Ben S »

Offline Mudface_

• Boys Pen
Re: McAfee Expired
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 05:54:30 pm »
Doubt it, you just won't get the latest updates to guard against new viruses. Now's the perfect time time to bin MacAfee, though- there's plenty of free virus scanners out there, AVG is a particularly good one.

Offline jaytal

• Kemlynite
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 06:05:03 pm »
Where can I get AVG from without paying? Just googled it and found loads of sites prepared to let me download it FREE but for a small charge!

Offline Ben S

• Remember we were partners in crime. Pigeon Fancier. GTL Bus Freak. Also known as Bambi, apparently - or Miss Kitty on Wednesdays....
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 06:07:20 pm »

Offline jaytal

• Kemlynite
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 06:10:45 pm »
Nice one folks, so you saying i should get rid of McAfee totally off my pc then?

Offline Mudface_

• Boys Pen
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 06:20:36 pm »
Might as well, no point in having it on there, really.

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2006, 07:12:38 pm »
Doubt it, you just won't get the latest updates to guard against new viruses. Now's the perfect time time to bin MacAfee, though- there's plenty of free virus scanners out there, AVG is a particularly good one.
I've had AVG on my lap top since Christmas and it's excellent..

Offline Consigliere

• Through a glass darkly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2006, 07:17:14 pm »
AVG is pants - detection rates are something like 83% compared to 97% plus for paid for AV software such as Kaspersky or F-Secure. AVG is also particularly poor at scan within compressed files such as .iso, .rar, .zip etc

I was running AVG for ages using a email account that received 100s of spam emails each week, many containing attached viruses. AVG nuked the majority of them, with the spam emails forwarded into a junk mail folder. As part of transferring data from one PC to another, I created a backup of all my email folders in a compressed .eba file. On my new machine, I ran scan using Kaspersky on all the transferring data and over 20 viruses were identifed in the .eba which AVG has previous missed, even before they were compressed.

If you really must use a free(ish) AV (which is a false economy IMO), download Norton via Google Pack:-
http://pack.google.com/

Incidentally, the likes of PC World sell the complete McAfee package for £25.

Offline Ben S

• Remember we were partners in crime. Pigeon Fancier. GTL Bus Freak. Also known as Bambi, apparently - or Miss Kitty on Wednesdays....
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2006, 07:18:55 pm »
AVG is pants - detection rates are something like 83% compared to 97% plus for other AV software such as Kaspersky or F-Secure.

Back that up with some links that prove it...

PCW certainly reviwed it favourably compaired with NAV etc. I've had it detect stuff on clients machines (yes naughty naughty I know, removed straight away etc etc) that NAV didn't detect. Plus it uses about a 10th of the resources Norton, McAfee etc use.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2006, 07:27:49 pm by Ben S »

Offline Consigliere

• Through a glass darkly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2006, 07:35:04 pm »
Alright I was probably a bit harsh with my terminology - I meant to say that AVG is excellent as far as free AVs go but pants compared to the best commercial AV software.

If by PCW, I hope you're not referring to Personal Computer World magazine you get in WH Smiths.....if you're referring the US website, then compare the detection rates for AVG with those for Kaspersky:-
http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,124475,00.asp

Noticeable difference isn't there?

I'll do better than links - give me your email address (for an ISP that doesn't viruscan emails) and I'll email you various files, you AVG scan them, then open the attachments on your home PC WITHOUT first using a paid for commercial AV scanner.

Offline Mudface_

• Boys Pen
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2006, 07:35:39 pm »
I've never had any bother with AVG in the three years or so it's been on my pc. The only complaint I've heard before is that it gives the occasional false positive. As Ben says it's not a total resource hog either. You might be able to buy McAfee for £25, but that'll only give you 12 months use and you'll have to cough up again next year.

Offline Ben S

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2006, 07:44:46 pm »
Try ben@rawk.eclipse.co.uk don't think that scans em.

Offline scouser4eva

• but is Eva4Scouser? Wants an old willy
  • Legacy Fan
  • " god wanted west ham to win but gerrard said no "
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2006, 08:19:34 pm »
Where can I get AVG from without paying? Just googled it and found loads of sites prepared to let me download it FREE but for a small charge!

Dixons dont have security guards on fridays so try there!

Offline jaytal

• Kemlynite
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2006, 08:35:51 pm »
Dixons dont have security guards on fridays so try there!
Nice one kid, roll on Friday eh!!!

Offline gerrardspetal

• Rabid psycho nut harvester with no idea - but she did have some points
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • miaaaaaaaaaaow
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2006, 09:04:09 pm »
Macafee is what i've got but it does my head in. i have to disable the firewall to acsses my e mails all the time. What's that all about?????
“You could say it’s not about being local, but about being vocal.
Kristian is a idiot.  A bad idiot.  Also a virgin.

@gerrardspetal - twitter

Offline Ben S

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2006, 12:45:29 am »

Not got anything throgh it so if you sent em, looks like eclipse filtered em. :( If you haven't sent em yet, I'm like a kid waitin for me pressies here.

Offline The Commish

• Kopite
  • One of a Kind (4:20)
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2006, 12:46:51 am »
AVG is superb.
When girls or chicks- whatever you prefer- check me out, its just like bees on honey! They're all over me! Hugging me and kissing me as if I was God's gift to women. Who can blame them? Just take a look at this sexy boy!

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2006, 02:22:28 am »
Alright I was probably a bit harsh with my terminology - I meant to say that AVG is excellent as far as free AVs go but pants compared to the best commercial AV software.

If by PCW, I hope you're not referring to Personal Computer World magazine you get in WH Smiths.....if you're referring the US website, then compare the detection rates for AVG with those for Kaspersky:-
http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,124475,00.asp

Noticeable difference isn't there?

I'll do better than links - give me your email address (for an ISP that doesn't viruscan emails) and I'll email you various files, you AVG scan them, then open the attachments on your home PC WITHOUT first using a paid for commercial AV scanner.

Maybe you have more reasons to use something like Kapersky as you're more at risk if you receive a shed load of spam/infected emails, your average user doesn't, and so something like AVG is perfectly fine for them.

It uses very little resources and it does it's job. Horses for courses and all that.

Offline Ben S

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #18 on: June 6, 2006, 12:38:33 am »

Still waiting :wave

Offline Consigliere

• Through a glass darkly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: June 6, 2006, 11:08:40 am »
Still waiting :wave

Tell your ISP to turn off its McAfee engined virus scanner on its email server then or did you think it was AVG  cleaning your emails for you?  :duh

to be honest, I think you're a bit too dopey to be let loose with viruses....

Offline Ben S

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #20 on: June 6, 2006, 12:31:02 pm »
Tell your ISP to turn off its McAfee engined virus scanner on its email server then or did you think it was AVG  cleaning your emails for you?  :duh

Well since it never bothered to inform me that it had deleted any emails, I assumed you hadn't bothered sent them and since you never bothered to tell me that they had been filtered I was none the wiser. ::)

to be honest, I think you're a bit too dopey to be let loose with viruses....

I'm so hurt :'(.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2021, 11:09:21 am »
Literally!!  Now how the hell do we uninstall him?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-57589822

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2021, 11:10:59 am »

Haha. Bit harsh!

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2021, 11:56:24 am »
Haha. Bit harsh!

To be fair Nick. John Mc seemed the sort who couldn’t have given a single shiny shit about most things.  Let alone what people on the internet said about him.

An innovative man with a Very colourful life to say the least.

Was ever so slightly harsh though I agree .  RIP

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2021, 12:11:53 pm »
And as usual there's Epstein-style conspiracies about his death floating around already.

This was funny, to be fair.
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2021, 12:20:29 pm »
To be fair Nick. John Mc seemed the sort who couldn’t have given a single shiny shit about most things.  Let alone what people on the internet said about him.

An innovative man with a Very colourful life to say the least.

Was ever so slightly harsh though I agree .  RIP

Wasn’t a complaint, I had a good chuckle at it. :D

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2021, 02:08:27 pm »
Nobody expects the Spanish extradition.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2021, 03:05:46 pm »
Rich guy claims charges against non payment of tax are a politically motivated vendetta?  Talk about going Full Trump. 

Imagine being so attached to money you'd rather die than pay money into a system where 99.95% of us don't get a fucking choice.

Fuck him. Besos take note.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2021, 03:08:55 pm »

My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2021, 11:21:05 pm »
Ok, that's a cracker  :lmao
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2021, 08:42:11 pm »
He had a pretty interesting and extremely fucked up life. The guy was a mess. Some interesting podcasts about him if you're interested.

He definitely wanted to 'live on' in folklore so created this whole conspiracy feel around his suicide.
YNWA.