Author Topic: Statues: Should They Stay or Should They Go?  (Read 36525 times)

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Statues: Should They Stay or Should They Go?
« Reply #200 on: June 12, 2020, 02:40:42 pm »
I’m against slavery so I’m glad that the statue of the slave trader swam with the fishes for a bit. Just found it funny.

That's not much of a distinguishing marker. Who isn't?
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline ljycb

• RAWK's Bullen Oracle of Wisdom & Knowledge, the Collective Voice of our Moral Conscience
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #201 on: June 12, 2020, 02:47:55 pm »
That's not much of a distinguishing marker. Who isn't?

Just giving my opinion. You don’t have to agree with me.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: June 12, 2020, 02:52:04 pm »
Just giving my opinion. You don’t have to agree with me.

Not sure if he was disagreeing.  Just asked you who isn't against slavery??

Offline ljycb

• RAWK's Bullen Oracle of Wisdom & Knowledge, the Collective Voice of our Moral Conscience
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #203 on: June 12, 2020, 02:55:05 pm »
Not sure if he was disagreeing.  Just asked you who wasn't against slavery??

I don’t know who else is or isn’t against slavery - was just saying that I’m dead against it and that’s why I found the statue being thrown in the river funny.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: June 12, 2020, 03:03:25 pm »
I don’t know who else is or isn’t against slavery - was just saying that I’m dead against it and that’s why I found the statue being thrown in the river funny.

Fair enough.

I'm pretty sure I don't know of anyone who is in favour of slavery.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: June 12, 2020, 03:04:56 pm »
He was an admirer of Hitler, was invited by the Nazi's to a meeting to discuss a collaboration between the Hitler youth and the scout and a massive homophobe.

The Lewis Hamilton comparison is shite.

And Sefton Delmer was the closest British associate of the leading Nazis, who interviewed Hitler, whom Hitler and Goering and others considered a personal friend (cf. Hitler calling on Delmer to witness the ruins of the burned Reichstag). With his background, the British government assumed he was a Nazi sympathiser.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline ljycb

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: June 12, 2020, 03:07:16 pm »
Fair enough.

Me neither, or at least I’ve never known of anyone who has admitted to being in favour of it.

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #207 on: June 12, 2020, 03:13:58 pm »
Read there are coaches booked to transport various far right groups to London tomorrow.  Likes of Yaxley-Lennon et al. So potential clashes with police in the middle.  All in the midst of a pandemic.
These companies should be identified and boycotted.

Offline Zeppelin

• Funds hate.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hammer of the Gods
« Reply #208 on: June 12, 2020, 03:24:38 pm »

Well, there's the bible for a start

Leviticus 25:44-46 New International Version (NIV)

44 “‘Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. 45 You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property. 46 You can bequeath them to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life, but you must not rule over your fellow Israelites ruthlessly."

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #209 on: June 12, 2020, 03:45:56 pm »
Uh oh

‘So I suppose we should knock down all churches’ incoming
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: June 12, 2020, 04:22:00 pm »

44 “‘Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. 45 You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property. 46 You can bequeath them to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life, but you must not rule over your fellow Israelites ruthlessly."

Yeah, I don't frequent with any of those fellas.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 04:24:17 pm by Red-Soldier »

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: June 12, 2020, 04:29:06 pm »
Cancel Jesus.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: June 12, 2020, 05:22:55 pm »

Now post that on Twitter/Facebook and see what happens.

Or don't. It would bring out a few loons from both the Mid-East and the Mid-West.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #213 on: June 12, 2020, 05:42:15 pm »
Lesley Riddoch made an interesting point on her podcast this week. She is very interested in Nordic culture, and said that someone from one of the Nordic countries had hypothesised to her that it is precisely because we have so many ancient stone monuments, and buildings, that we are reticent to pull down because they are our history, that we are so backward looking and conservative as a country.

The Nordic countries until recently built everything from wood, so don't have any ancient statues, or buildings. Everything is relatively modern and not bogged down in history and tradition.

Just a hypothesis though, there wasn't any study to back it up or anything but it makes a bit of sense to me.

I was going to answer this point yesterday but ran out of time. I'm sorry but I cannot agree with the comment about there being too many stone monuments. As someone who finds things like that endlessly fascinating, I can't for the life of me understand why you'd contemplate getting rid of them. Some of them have been there for generations, its part of the heritage of the country and there is such mythology surrounding them. How could anyone not be interested in finding out how the ancients brought those stones over from Ireland to create Stonehenge, considering how primitive transport was in those days. Say nothing of how many people must have been involved in the job of transporting them across country, its an amazing feat. To be honest, I can't think of anything worse than just concentrating on modern stuff, as there was an art to how those early settlers built their shrines and understanding the beliefs they had especially with regard to their thinking of the sun and moon's role in the world.

Sorry, I realise this has got very little to do with statues, but I just had to make the point.  :-\
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #214 on: June 12, 2020, 05:43:01 pm »
Penny Lane road signs sprayed over in 'disgraceful' attack

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/penny-lane-road-signs-sprayed-18407831#ICID=Android_EchoNewsApp_AppShare

"Many historians say has no slave trade links"

Use the app.

It’s earliest known name on a map of the area was  Pennis Lane apparently
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: June 12, 2020, 05:44:30 pm »
The statues shouldn’t have been made in the first place, but now that they are, I feel that they should be placed in a museum, one that highlights just how bad slavery was and how modern day racism has derived from it.

Removing them completely is like trying to whitewash history.

They need to be in a place were future generations can learn and grow knowing exactly what happened in the past. Only then do you start on the right track of starting to diminish racism.

You can’t change the older generations who grew up surrounded with racism on famous TV shows, you’re asking them to change 50 odd years of a mindset and life they’ve always known, but you can help the younger generations realise why it was and still is wrong.

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
« Reply #216 on: June 12, 2020, 05:45:52 pm »
Saw a video earlier of paul mccartney and james corden graffitiing it (penny lane sign) and it was already covered in other graffiti

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #217 on: June 12, 2020, 05:45:58 pm »
It’s earliest known name on a map of the area was  Pennis Lane apparently

**giggle**

• Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
« Reply #218 on: June 12, 2020, 05:47:10 pm »
**giggle**
Oh, very mature

Bet youve gorra small willy

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #219 on: June 12, 2020, 05:56:26 pm »
If he was such a Nazi sympathiser, why was he listed in the Sonderfahndungsliste G.B?

Notably, Lloyd George wasn't...

Presumably because the Nazis believed the Scouts were capable of resisting the invasion, much as the Hitler Youth formed part of the Volksturm. Armed with rudimentary weapons they formed the last line of defence to the allies.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: June 12, 2020, 05:57:47 pm »
Saw a video earlier of paul mccartney and james corden graffitiing it (penny lane sign) and it was already covered in other graffiti

Corden is facing calls to axe his Gavin and Stacey show due to homophobic, racist, sexist and fat shaming jokes. Wonder if the fat fucker will do the right thing and take his show off the TV.

• Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
« Reply #221 on: June 12, 2020, 06:02:38 pm »
Corden is facing calls to axe his Gavin and Stacey show due to homophobic, racist, sexist and fat shaming jokes. Wonder if the fat fucker will do the right thing and take his show off the TV.
;D

Hope so. Never seen or watched anything hes in(That hes famous for) but have caught him as a guest on stuff. Dont find him funny at all

Saw you post something aboot the inbetweeners a couple of nights ago. Think you said it was at risk of being taken down. Ihavnt watched that either but whats the reason behind it being taken off whatever channels?

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: June 12, 2020, 06:05:33 pm »
;D

Hope so. Never seen or watched anything hes in(That hes famous for) but have caught him as a guest on stuff. Dont find him funny at all

Saw you post something aboot the inbetweeners a couple of nights ago. Think you said it was at risk of being taken down. Ihavnt watched that either but whats the reason behind it being taken off whatever channels?

The jokes in there are massively sexist and homophobic.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: June 12, 2020, 06:10:04 pm »
Anything that potentially removes Gavin and Stacey and Big Bang Theory from....just everywhere, is no bad thing
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: June 12, 2020, 06:15:00 pm »
Anything that potentially removes Gavin and Stacey and Big Bang Theory from....just everywhere, is no bad thing

Big Bang Theory, Mash Report and Mrs Brown’s Boys need binning for me. I reckon though the Mash Report is the model of shows we will be made to watch.

• Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
« Reply #225 on: June 12, 2020, 06:15:33 pm »

Aaah. Ta

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: June 12, 2020, 06:19:32 pm »
Aaah. Ta

Id be willing to sacrifice The Inbetweeners but as I have said before I am joining a Football ‘firm’ if they remove Friends and The Thick of It off any format.

Offline Speedy Molby

• Not as fat as his name suggests but is still a bad formby wool :)
  • Campaigns
  • Kopite
  • Satire? In Wigan?
« Reply #227 on: June 12, 2020, 06:19:38 pm »
There was an Inbetweeners double bill on E4 on Tuesday night.
I am alone now. I am beyond recrimination. The curtains have shut, the furniture has gone. I am transforming. I am vibrating. I am glowing. I am flying. Look at me now.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: June 12, 2020, 06:22:40 pm »
There was an Inbetweeners double bill on E4 on Tuesday night.

Reckon Nigel Frottage was made programme scheduler for that day.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: June 12, 2020, 06:26:11 pm »

It's pretty funny to be honest.  I've been enjoying all the reruns recently.

If we start faffing around with comedy, then we all might as well pack it in.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #230 on: June 12, 2020, 06:28:00 pm »
Over half the shows on TV will have to go if Gavin and Stacey does.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: June 12, 2020, 06:28:24 pm »
Big Bang Theory, Mash Report and Mrs Brown’s Boys need binning for me. I reckon though the Mash Report is the model of shows we will be made to watch.
the mash report website is actually funny, the tv show is utter shite but it’s what the cancel culture brigade seem to see as acceptable, as only they could find that funny. That clip from the woke support group is very relevant to this debate, can’t see it anywhere but it’s basically those people in the sketch who want stuff cancelled

Offline Speedy Molby

• Not as fat as his name suggests but is still a bad formby wool :)
  • Campaigns
  • Kopite
  • Satire? In Wigan?
« Reply #232 on: June 12, 2020, 06:31:42 pm »
It's pretty funny to be honest.  I've been enjoying all the reruns recently.

If we start faffing around with comedy, then we all might as well pack it in.
Yes  think some are taking these shows too literally. With the Inbetweeners, the major from Fawlty Towers and Alf Garnett, there is a reason that the writers are putting the 'offending' words in the mouths of bigots and idiots.
I am alone now. I am beyond recrimination. The curtains have shut, the furniture has gone. I am transforming. I am vibrating. I am glowing. I am flying. Look at me now.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: June 12, 2020, 06:40:58 pm »
Over half the shows on TV will have to go if Gavin and Stacey does.

As long as it’s the right half, then it’s so worth it

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: June 12, 2020, 06:52:42 pm »
Yes  think some are taking these shows too literally. With the Inbetweeners, the major from Fawlty Towers and Alf Garnett, there is a reason that the writers are putting the 'offending' words in the mouths of bigots and idiots.
Why?
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #235 on: June 12, 2020, 06:59:56 pm »
Some people see the world in an entirely binary manner.

And people just aren’t all bad or all good.  That’s not how life is, that’s not how people are.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #236 on: June 12, 2020, 07:01:55 pm »
Why?

In some cases (not all) it's to highlight and poke fun at the ignorance of these people - not to nod along and agree with what they say. If comedy is well written it can highlight these types of people.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: June 12, 2020, 07:05:58 pm »
I was going to answer this point yesterday but ran out of time. I'm sorry but I cannot agree with the comment about there being too many stone monuments. As someone who finds things like that endlessly fascinating, I can't for the life of me understand why you'd contemplate getting rid of them. Some of them have been there for generations, its part of the heritage of the country and there is such mythology surrounding them. How could anyone not be interested in finding out how the ancients brought those stones over from Ireland to create Stonehenge, considering how primitive transport was in those days. Say nothing of how many people must have been involved in the job of transporting them across country, its an amazing feat. To be honest, I can't think of anything worse than just concentrating on modern stuff, as there was an art to how those early settlers built their shrines and understanding the beliefs they had especially with regard to their thinking of the sun and moon's role in the world.

Sorry, I realise this has got very little to do with statues, but I just had to make the point.  :-\

It wasn't really me advocating getting rid of them, more just hypothesising if it has an effect on our collective psyche, possibly even in a negative way. however much we appreciate them and feel positive about them.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #238 on: June 12, 2020, 07:11:23 pm »
It wasn't really me advocating getting rid of them, more just hypothesising if it has an effect on our collective psyche, possibly even in a negative way. however much we appreciate them and feel positive about them.

Yeah, yeah I get that. I'm not convinced that it does though to be honest, as I think only saddos like me feel this way about things such as these. It's more a mythology type of thing than a collective psyche feeling. Don't even get me onto the moon as a subject, I'd be there all night.  ;D
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #239 on: June 12, 2020, 07:20:08 pm »
Yeah, yeah I get that. I'm not convinced that it does though to be honest, as I think only saddos like me feel this way about things such as these. It's more a mythology type of thing than a collective psyche feeling. Don't even get me onto the moon as a subject, I'd be there all night.  ;D
When the taliban did for the Buddhas of Bamiyan, and then recently Palmyra got largely destroyed by Isis, I found that made me madder than when they actually kill people - I can't actually justify why that is, it's just how it is I'm afraid.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.