The Liverpool FC Forum > Liverpool FC Forum

<---Johnny Mushrow's Match Report -->

(1/2) > >>

m_houllier:
Liverpool gained a vital win over championship rivals Newcastle last night with a impressive Anelka inspired 3-0 home win which left Bobby Robson and Co wishing we hadn’t have fixed the floodlights.

Thompson played an attacking formation for this crucial home game playing Heskey, Owen and Anelka, with Heskey being deployed in an attacking role on the left side on the Liverpool attack.

When we first signed Anelka like nearly everyone else I thought it was one of Houllier’s first mistakes as Liverpool boss but once again Le Prof has proved the majority of us wrong, as Anelka is currently playing the best football of his life. He terrorised the Newcastle defence all night with his blistering pace and silky skills. The only thing wrong with his performance was that he didn’t cap this brilliant display with a goal but I’ll let him off this time!

Liverpool controlled the game from the outset and Newcastle didn’t really threaten the Liverpool defence let alone our keeper. The few times they did attack us they just couldn’t get past Hyypia and Henchoz, but they aren’t the first and wont be the last team not to cause our keeper any problems due our brilliant centre half’s. Newcastle did have the ball in the back of the net in the second half but Olivier Bernard thought he was playing basketball and not football as he punched the ball into the back of the net. For some reason referee Jeff Winter didn’t think that this was deliberate enough to book him! But then again at least he wasn’t inconsistent as he was crap all night! For some reason he also thinks its in the rules that the opposition keeper can take the attackers legs from behind and bring him down in the area. But that’s enough of this egotistical bastard lets not talk about him as that’s why they make these decision to be talked about.

Liverpool took the lead when Anelka sprinted down the right wing cut inside before pulling the ball back for the late arriving Danny Murphy in the box to finish the glorious move off. Last nights performance typified Danny Murphy’s career at times he was outstanding but also at times he was absolutely awful.

This was shown early in the second half when he danced past the Newcastle defence and scored his second goal, compared with his skills minutes before when unmarked on the centre circle he decided he would pass the ball the a Newcastle player instead of one of ours, which he done on more than 1 occasion last night.

Another outstanding performance at the heart of our midfield by Didi Hamman was capped off when he scored a goal!!! Yes we all weren’t hallucinating Hamman did score! And what a goal it was Hamman received a lot of stick from the Newcastle fans who are obviously still upset at losing one of the best midfielders in the country but he soon shut them up.

Overall it was our best home performance of the season, for a change we looked as if we could play football at home we passed the ball out brilliantly and played good attacking football, lets keep this up and we should run Arsenal and Man U very close for the title.

hoonin:

--- Quote ---When we first signed Anelka like nearly everyone else I thought it was one of Houllier’s first mistakes as Liverpool boss
--- End quote ---

Nearly everyone else? I thought most people were excited but cautious, rathet than thinking it was a mistake :)

Steve C:
I thought Anelka was a no lose situation...thought it was a good signing.

Despite your protestations, murphy played really well last night..he has done away all season, and now is adding home form as well. NO player has a 100% pass completion rate either...

hoonin:
you're right Steve, nobody has a 100% completion rate, but Dannys missed placed passes did stand out in an otherwise good performance by him.

The reason they stood out for me was because i was desperate for him to have a great game to shut the moaners up!

Barrettski:
I don't think a couple of mis-placed passes consitutes "absolutely awful". Spud has an absolutely incredible footballing brain... the downside is that sometimes he thinks too many moves ahead like a chess player. I was behind that howling pass to a Newcastle player and you could see what he was up to... it was either a sideways pass to Didi, which would have the crowd moaning... or a more instinctive far side ball to Riise. But Riise hadn't made the yardage and so he was in two minds. Any player in two minds makes mistakes... that one just looked bad.

For me Murphy's last three performances should have Sven thinking... and if he slows his brain down a tad he'd improve his passing too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version