Author Topic: Curtis Jones  (Read 570976 times)

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
Re: Curtis Jones - no issues with self confidence
« Reply #160 on: January 6, 2020, 01:34:52 am »
Any gif of the goal?

Whatta strike!  Stevie would have been proud of that!
« Last Edit: January 6, 2020, 01:37:26 am by jckliew »
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #161 on: January 6, 2020, 01:37:39 am »

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #162 on: January 6, 2020, 01:38:49 am »
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: January 6, 2020, 01:44:09 am »
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: January 6, 2020, 02:30:15 am »

He covered more ground running backwards in the time it took the ball to get in the net than Pickford did moving towards it.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline rodderzzz

• Plonkah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • That's Bullshit Miss!
« Reply #165 on: January 6, 2020, 02:46:23 am »
I just noticed the advertising boards switch to carlsberg as it goes in....

They dont do derby goals, but if they did...

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: January 6, 2020, 03:07:21 am »
I’m likely in the extreme minority on this but I think he should go out on loan, but not until after the next fa cup game.  He’s not going to get much playing time this year and he is obviously ready for some first team football. A loan at a decent championship club could get him some much needed experience this year with, potentially, the view to being a squad player next year.

Offline Chig

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA!
« Reply #167 on: January 6, 2020, 03:17:27 am »
I’m likely in the extreme minority on this but I think he should go out on loan, but not until after the next fa cup game.  He’s not going to get much playing time this year and he is obviously ready for some first team football. A loan at a decent championship club could get him some much needed experience this year with, potentially, the view to being a squad player next year.

I agreed with you on the loan him out bit, but I think he should go to team that are better than Championship, Bundesliga could be an option. Even teams like Villa or Bournemouth that are hampered by injury crisis can surely use a talented midfielder like him.
KD7 SG8 RF9 JB10

Offline Morgana

• Legacy Fan
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #168 on: January 6, 2020, 03:18:36 am »

Harry Wilson has picked up niggling injuries while on loan at Bournemouth. If we win #7 this year and stay in the FA Cup there will be plenty of opportunities for Curtis to stay here and be a good squad player for us this year and next. Win the CL and we'll be playing the CWC again in December, with the same fixture headaches and the need for a bigger squad.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #169 on: January 6, 2020, 04:22:01 am »

Yeah I was thinking the same, but I'm more in two minds about it.

The question is, at his current level, what are we look for for him, in a loan?

Because we've seen Harry Wilson and Marko Grujic do very well on their respective loans, and I think no doubt demonstrate that they're players that can play in top level football, but it's not necessarily clear that they will have a future at Liverpool.

I think we're at a point in the club now where we're sophisticated enough with our recruitment and squad building that success on loan as a young player doesn't necessarily guarantee you anything back at the club - and in fact, even showing that you are a 20-30m player, only tells us that you're good enough to be sold for 20-30m.

So are we looking for Curtis Jones to show what Grujic and Wilson have shown - i.e. the ability to perform at a good level elsewhere? If so, I think a loan is a good idea.

But I also suspect that we think he might have already demonstrated that internally. If that's the case, the next question is whether we think he's a good fit for the way we play. If not, I think a loan is still a good idea, because it raises his value and we can sell him down the track. If we think he is a good fit, and he's good enough to play at the top level, I think we should be figuring out a way for him to play more games and gradually be integrated into the squad.

I suspect the latter is the more likely trajectory for him. If we manage to maintain this lead and have the league sewn up with a few games to go, I think he and Elliott will both start games at the end of the season, in addition to the next couple of cup games, fixtures willing. That would be a much better outcome than sending him on loan.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #170 on: January 6, 2020, 09:16:25 am »
What?

It may not be good for us, but top German teams wanting to give first team game time for young english players can be the best thing that's happened to the best young players in England in like, ever.

It is good but the point is it can lead to more impatience. Klopp made the point after the game that if Jones was at a big German club he'd be in the youth team (albeit in the lower leagues for their B team).

Sancho is an outlier. I remember Kent going to Freiburg and not getting a game .
« Last Edit: January 6, 2020, 09:19:05 am by Fromola »
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: January 6, 2020, 09:17:19 am »
Klopp on Curtis: 'He will be a Liverpool player, 100%'

On Jones’ winning goal…

Absolutely, I love it. I must say one thing, because everybody asks me about Curtis Jones but there were so many extremely good performances tonight. The goal was exceptional and the boy is an outstanding player. But I cannot understand why nobody asked me so far about Pedro Chirivella, Neco Williams or Yasser Larouci. Is this a sign we want to give the boys? You have to score, otherwise we ignore you?

Let me speak about Curtis – an unbelievable player, Scouser, very confident, can’t wait to play in the first team. Good, rightly so. He is in a very good way. I’ve known him three-and-a-half years, he made big steps, will be a Liverpool player if nothing strange happens, 100 per cent. Great. That he scores that goal, I’m not surprised. That he scores this kind of goal, I’m not surprised. He is for these situations and still a lot to learn and improve. But sometimes we forget it as well in training, he is 18. Unbelievable. In Germany, because of a different system, he would still play one year 100 per cent in the youth team and nowhere else. Here, he is around the first team. I like that the boys used all our patterns tonight to cause Everton problems. It was brilliant, absolutely brilliant.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/381310-jurgen-klopp-reaction-everton-fa-cup-merseyside-derby

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: January 6, 2020, 09:47:25 am »
Relive Jones' stunning Liverpool goal from all angles

Watch 18-year-old Curtis Jones' spectacular winning goal for Liverpool against Everton in the FA Cup from all the angles.

Available to UK users only

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/51000472

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: January 6, 2020, 09:56:44 am »
I just noticed the advertising boards switch to carlsberg as it goes in....

They dont do derby goals, but if they did...

haha. Good Spot :)

Offline mickl

• many mickls makes a muckl
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #174 on: January 6, 2020, 10:36:07 am »
What a Proboscis monkey on Borneo thought of Curtis’s shot.
« Last Edit: January 6, 2020, 10:38:37 am by mickl »

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #175 on: January 6, 2020, 10:59:22 am »

Those arms though...

We've got him figured out.
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: January 6, 2020, 11:39:49 am »
I just don't see him getting many games if all the first teamers are fit. The likes of Ox, Lallana, Shaq and Keita are finding themselves being rotated then Jones will find it even harder for game time. He's too good for u23 level, I would be happy with him going on loan to a top half team in the Championship, regular games against proper opposition. You can make arguments for him to stay but if he's playing one game a month let's get him a loan where he'll possibly make 15-20 appearances before the season is over.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline dai_bonehead

• Kopite

Offline mickeydocs

• Legacy Fan
  • Jurgen Klopp - best Liverpool coach since Paisley
« Reply #178 on: January 6, 2020, 12:11:37 pm »
We have some great prospects coming through and this guy is at the top of the queue.
Great to boot he is a scouser.
What a time to be a red :)
It’s easy to believe when it’s going well.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: January 6, 2020, 12:15:20 pm »
I just don't see him getting many games if all the first teamers are fit. The likes of Ox, Lallana, Shaq and Keita are finding themselves being rotated then Jones will find it even harder for game time. He's too good for u23 level, I would be happy with him going on loan to a top half team in the Championship, regular games against proper opposition. You can make arguments for him to stay but if he's playing one game a month let's get him a loan where he'll possibly make 15-20 appearances before the season is over.

he's not going to play a lot of first team game right now - and that's why I believe that I'm the one that originally made the suggestion yesterday that he should still seek a loan around January 31st (i.e. after another FA Cup game) - so he can play against stronger competition week in and week out.

Our midfield: Henderson, Wijnaldum, Lallana, Ox, Fabinho, Keita, Milner

Fab is more or less back and now that Lallana is fit that only leaves Keita and Milner to return. That's 5 or 6 mids ahead of him - I don't see him getting starts in the PL (until that thing happens) and certainly not the CL.

I am almost certain he is being groomed to be in the squad in the fall.
« Last Edit: January 6, 2020, 12:32:01 pm by newterp »

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #180 on: January 6, 2020, 12:49:28 pm »

The first-touch, killing just the right amount of pace off the rolling ball to set up the finish, was at least as impressive as the actual finish, if not more so. That's technique.

And watch Origi. He nods his head right away after the shot goes in the goal. A goal good enough that Big Div did not have to remind himself to celebrate. Impressive... ;D
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline #RedDawn2020

• Main Stander
« Reply #181 on: January 6, 2020, 01:41:28 pm »
He looks a good prospect but we have said that about many a youngster in recent years (including one that also scored against Everton at a very young age IIRC). Playing consistently well in a Liverpool midfield is probably one of the most demanding roles in world football given how dependent our system is on everybody doing the right things in the right moments.

I wish him well on his path going forward and hope that he has the patience and right guidance to make the right career choices. I think it would be best if he stayed around and trained with the first team for another season to continue his development in-house. Klopp will see him everyday and continue to work with him and opportunities will come aplenty given injuries and sheer number of games.

Lad needs to stay patient though. He is 18 FFS.
“Intensity is our identity.”

Offline wampa1

• Should probably leg it while he can......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: January 6, 2020, 02:28:30 pm »
The first-touch, killing just the right amount of pace off the rolling ball to set up the finish, was at least as impressive as the actual finish, if not more so. That's technique.

And watch Origi. He nods his head right away after the shot goes in the goal. A goal good enough that Big Div did not have to remind himself to celebrate. Impressive... ;D
I like how when it's obviously going in Origi just starts casually walking over to Jones as though they were just going to politely celebrate with a handshake.

Offline Thepooloflife

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #183 on: January 6, 2020, 02:44:11 pm »
He looks a good prospect but we have said that about many a youngster in recent years (including one that also scored against Everton at a very young age IIRC). Playing consistently well in a Liverpool midfield is probably one of the most demanding roles in world football given how dependent our system is on everybody doing the right things in the right moments.

I wish him well on his path going forward and hope that he has the patience and right guidance to make the right career choices. I think it would be best if he stayed around and trained with the first team for another season to continue his development in-house. Klopp will see him everyday and continue to work with him and opportunities will come aplenty given injuries and sheer number of games.

Lad needs to stay patient though. He is 18 FFS.
Yep, agree with that - although he's almost 19 now, but still very young. Besides if Lallana does leave in the summer (although just speculation) there is a good chance the lad will get more game time in the next couple of seasons.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: January 6, 2020, 03:59:06 pm »
It would do these youngsters well to remember, first, that they are still teenagers and there is plenty of time to make that breakthrough. Klopp has their best interests at heart and knows when is the right time. Today was the perfect time for Curtis. And he thrived and scored the match winner.  Put kids in big games before they're ready and it can be detrimental in the long term. So they must Trust their manager. This is where Gerrard`s cousin's lack of patience got the better of him.

The thing with the Sancho point is a player like Duncan probably looks at that and thinks well i'll go abroad and play regularly in a big league and make a name for myself which is fantasy really at 18 unless you're a genunely elite talent. Rather than going on loan to an EFL team who'll actually give you game time and then see where he is after that (Tammy Abraham/Harry Kane examples who then went on to be first choice at Chelsea and Spurs after productive loans. Sancho himself had to bide his time for a while at Dortmund.

Trent was in the right place at the right time because we weren't a great side then and the right back position was up for grabs and he took it. I think a position is there in midfield over the next couple of seasons if Jones is prepared to bide his time. Foden is a case in point, he's waited and is slowly becoming a regular. If Klopp for example went out and signed Coutinho back for 70 mill then that'd be the time for Jones to really wonder.

If we can win the league this season it'll be a real monkey off the club's back and Klopp might feel more free to take risks by giving more youngsters games outside of domestic cups.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: January 6, 2020, 04:30:44 pm »
The thing with the Sancho point is a player like Duncan probably looks at that and thinks well i'll go abroad and play regularly in a big league and make a name for myself which is fantasy really at 18 unless you're a genunely elite talent. Rather than going on loan to an EFL team who'll actually give you game time and then see where he is after that (Tammy Abraham/Harry Kane examples who then went on to be first choice at Chelsea and Spurs after productive loans. Sancho himself had to bide his time for a while at Dortmund.

Trent was in the right place at the right time because we weren't a great side then and the right back position was up for grabs and he took it. I think a position is there in midfield over the next couple of seasons if Jones is prepared to bide his time. Foden is a case in point, he's waited and is slowly becoming a regular. If Klopp for example went out and signed Coutinho back for 70 mill then that'd be the time for Jones to really wonder.

If we can win the league this season it'll be a real monkey off the club's back and Klopp might feel more free to take risks by giving more youngsters games outside of domestic cups.
The majority of football league loans end up being pretty crap for players like Duncan as well. The loan system is not grear because clubs need short term results but parent clubs/academy players need long term investment. It's good that a lot more players are looking for permanent moves abroard. They won't all work out in the same way staying in England isn't a gurantee.

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: January 6, 2020, 04:41:38 pm »
The majority of football league loans end up being pretty crap for players like Duncan as well. The loan system is not grear because clubs need short term results but parent clubs/academy players need long term investment. It's good that a lot more players are looking for permanent moves abroard. They won't all work out in the same way staying in England isn't a gurantee.

That's why the club advised him to stay another year. But if he insisted on going it should have been to somewhere where he might have actually got a game.

It can go either way. Herbie Kane one of the best players in League One last season. Arguably the best player in League One at the moment is Callum Brannagan, but when we sent him on loan there a couple of years ago he couldn't get a game.

Offline MolbyLovesGravlax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: January 6, 2020, 05:02:06 pm »
Who is the Everton player taking a quick power nap in that gif?
"This is Anfield, this is what they do." Thomas Tuchel

@dgljones

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #188 on: January 6, 2020, 05:23:16 pm »
I would send him to Leeds for a good year.

Bielsa has a great record of developing young players, reckon Curtis would develop tremendously under him and be ready for Kloppball after a year or so.

To develop here he needs a run of games and it'd be so difficult to do in midfield then it was for Trent at RB who took advantage of Clyne's injury.

Offline JonnyCigarettes®

• Airfix salesman (rumoured to be training a secret wankfest monkey arsegravy army)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty fly for a white guy
« Reply #189 on: January 6, 2020, 05:27:48 pm »
Who is the Everton player taking a quick power nap in that gif?

Morgan Schnoozerlin.

Johnny Sack: 200 grand for insulting my wife. What's next, Carmine, he gets to fuck her for a million?

Carmine: He wants to fuck her?

Johnny Sack: I'm making a point.

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: January 6, 2020, 05:59:01 pm »
He runs like Legolas. His feet wouldn't leave a trace on snow.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline RedMan89

• Anny Roader
« Reply #191 on: January 6, 2020, 06:12:04 pm »
Puska or its rigged

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
  • It's a blessing to be a Red :)
« Reply #192 on: January 6, 2020, 11:31:01 pm »

The editor must be a Red - i mean, come onnn....what other reason could there have been to see one goal from so many angles :D

Salah-esque strike.
The highest compliment.
This kid excites me.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: January 7, 2020, 12:59:24 am »

The editor must be a Red - i mean, come onnn....what other reason could there have been to see one goal from so many angles :D

Salah-esque strike.
The highest compliment.
This kid excites me.

More like Trent in terms of body shape. He really wrapped himself around that ball.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: January 7, 2020, 04:35:47 am »

Trent's chance was accelerated because Clyne missed an entire year of football due to a back injury.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #195 on: January 7, 2020, 06:00:18 am »
More like Trent in terms of body shape. He really wrapped himself around that ball.

It reminded me of Coutinho.

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #196 on: January 7, 2020, 07:12:12 am »

Trent was in the right place at the right time because we weren't a great side then and the right back position was up for grabs and he took it. I think a position is there in midfield over the next couple of seasons if Jones is prepared to bide his time. Foden is a case in point, he's waited and is slowly becoming a regular.

If Klopp for example went out and signed Coutinho back for 70 mill then that'd be the time for Jones to really wonder.

Is Foden a regular? He's made something like 3 starts this season?
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: January 7, 2020, 07:26:56 am »

He's made a lot of starts in the last month in all comps.

Online Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #198 on: January 7, 2020, 09:52:39 am »
Love his ambition and confidence to say he is frustrated at not getting more chances. He seems to have the attitude and self belief to push on.

As James Richardson put it on the Totally Football show:

"It's FA cup 3rd round weekend, where we get to watch electricians, builders and Phil Foden take to the field"

We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #199 on: January 7, 2020, 10:48:33 am »
He's made a lot of starts in the last month in all comps.

2 starts in the PL, 2 starts in the CL.

11 games in the PL, but only 232 minutes on the pitch.  186 minutes of Champions League.

3 full League Cup games and one full FA Cup game.