Author Topic: The Anfield Wrap  (Read 3300160 times)

Online Mr Dilkington

• would rather be too cold than too hot
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
Re: The Anfield Wrap
« Reply #27120 on: June 18, 2022, 10:48:13 am »
Some of the plans people put together on the 'In their Shoes' shows are absolutely dreadful   ;D
You change all the lead, sleeping in my head, as the day grows dim, I hear you sing a golden hymn.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #27121 on: June 18, 2022, 11:21:41 am »
Some of the plans people put together on the 'In their Shoes' shows are absolutely dreadful   ;D

Whenever Neil talks about Man City as “we” it’s like a dagger through the heart. :D

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #27122 on: June 20, 2022, 12:21:09 pm »
Kev Walsh is great.
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline Alisson Wonderland

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #27123 on: June 20, 2022, 03:47:44 pm »
Yeah.  I hope Everton listen to Dan Morgan because they'd definitely be getting relegated if they follow his advice  ;D

Online End Product

• doesn't always come out of the right end
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27124 on: June 21, 2022, 09:12:50 pm »
They still do the agony aunt show? Never found out how that regal fella with the brother he hated turned out.
No time for caution.

Offline Thiago12291

• Thinks we’re a fucking mess and it’s down to Jurgen
  • Main Stander
« Reply #27125 on: June 22, 2022, 01:27:03 pm »
Kev Walsh is great.

He really isn't

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #27126 on: June 22, 2022, 02:28:31 pm »

Offline courty61

• Legacy Fan
  • Never Buy The S*n
« Reply #27127 on: June 22, 2022, 02:32:21 pm »
Enjoyed this week's show.

Shows how difficult it is to balance everything at a football club and how we are in the middle of huge changes within football itself
77, 78, 81, 84, 05, 19

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27128 on: June 22, 2022, 02:39:04 pm »
They still do the agony aunt show? Never found out how that regal fella with the brother he hated turned out.

Think Neil mentioned at some point that it had been difficult during the last few months with so many games but that it would be back at some point,  hope I'm not making this up because I can't remember where I heard it, but I think that was it

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #27129 on: June 22, 2022, 02:50:06 pm »
Enjoyed this week's show.

Shows how difficult it is to balance everything at a football club and how we are in the middle of huge changes within football itself
Yeah really enjoyable.

One needs stuff like this to counter-balance the weirdness of most online football chat where folk approach the idea of running a club alike a game of Junior Monopoly. "We just earned £130m from the CL run, let's but Mbappe!!"

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #27130 on: June 22, 2022, 04:09:51 pm »
Enjoyed (through tears :) ) the Sadio Farewell show. Hope he knows how much he was loved, I’m sure he does and some of the more extreme views voiced externally have been stirring or misunderstanding the situation.

One of our greats.

Offline Big Bamber

• Having a lovely time, living the best time of his life
  • Kopite
  • The Dude Abides
« Reply #27131 on: June 22, 2022, 05:54:01 pm »
Yeah really enjoyable.

One needs stuff like this to counter-balance the weirdness of most online football chat where folk approach the idea of running a club alike a game of Junior Monopoly. "We just earned £130m from the CL run, let's but Mbappe!!"

True, but if the chat was always that dry we might just pack the whole thing in. We need the Guttmans, Seniors, Kevs, Ryans to give it life. Realism and escapism don't go well together...

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27132 on: June 22, 2022, 09:21:16 pm »
Enjoyed (through tears :) ) the Sadio Farewell show. Hope he knows how much he was loved, I’m sure he does and some of the more extreme views voiced externally have been stirring or misunderstanding the situation.

One of our greats.
Yep, it was a good discussion and appreciation of Sadio.

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #27133 on: June 23, 2022, 08:12:33 am »
True, but if the chat was always that dry we might just pack the whole thing in. We need the Guttmans, Seniors, Kevs, Ryans to give it life. Realism and escapism don't go well together...
Well yeah - happy to hear other opinions etc. I'm just weary of the level of a lot of online output which seems to be designed to get fans annoyed and angry.

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27134 on: June 23, 2022, 02:12:21 pm »
Another great desert island goals, Damian Lewis seems like a lovely fella.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #27135 on: June 23, 2022, 02:30:34 pm »
Another great desert island goals, Damian Lewis seems like a lovely fella.

Too good a chance not to post this piece of brilliance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q89MLuLSJgk
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Hij

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #27136 on: June 24, 2022, 12:54:11 am »
He really isn't

Met him at Wembley and several times on the Kop by 306 at half time in Europe and he's absolutely great as far as I'm concerned. Fair enough if you think what he offers by way of analysis is not to your standard, but he's a sound match going red and I have a lot of time for him. If the marketing slogan is 'from the heart of the city' then I think he's offering that at least.

All that said, I'm probably pretty similar in terms of the negative things said here about him. I don't really know much about tactics or formations but I turn up and enjoy the day and support the team. He's welcome to do that as well. I don't want every show to be essentially a stats or football nerd. It's nice to get differing views. I'll take a passionate Kev Walsh over the alternative on the Football Ramble, Sky Sports or what have you. You don't have to agree with every single person who speaks on the podcasts, that's the beauty of it. All the best.

Offline Hij

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #27137 on: June 24, 2022, 12:58:11 am »

One of our greats.

Is right Nick. It's hard to select your favourite over the last 6 or so years when there are so many phenomenal players but he may well be mine. "Nobody wants to win this league more than Sadio Mane" will always stick with me. Aston Villa will always stick with me. The left footed drive into the top corner at Anfield vs City will always stick with me. One of the very very best. I hope we can continue on as well without him, but he has etched himself into the history of this storied football club and for me he leaves as a legend.

Online Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27138 on: June 24, 2022, 06:10:26 am »
Met him at Wembley and several times on the Kop by 306 at half time in Europe and he's absolutely great as far as I'm concerned. Fair enough if you think what he offers by way of analysis is not to your standard, but he's a sound match going red and I have a lot of time for him. If the marketing slogan is 'from the heart of the city' then I think he's offering that at least.

All that said, I'm probably pretty similar in terms of the negative things said here about him. I don't really know much about tactics or formations but I turn up and enjoy the day and support the team. He's welcome to do that as well. I don't want every show to be essentially a stats or football nerd. It's nice to get differing views. I'll take a passionate Kev Walsh over the alternative on the Football Ramble, Sky Sports or what have you. You don't have to agree with every single person who speaks on the podcasts, that's the beauty of it. All the best.

Opinions eh, I cant listen to the shows hes on, especially AFQ. He ruins them. 
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27139 on: June 24, 2022, 09:55:11 am »
Too good a chance not to post this piece of brilliance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q89MLuLSJgk

Superb, thanks for sharing mate

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #27140 on: June 24, 2022, 01:58:47 pm »

And there's nothing wrong with that. No one is saying you need to have the tactical understanding of the coaching team to follow the club.

But he has some appalling shouts on players. Can't imagine he'd be so harsh on Keita if he was from L8 and had a ket wig

Offline ljycb

• RAWK's Bullen Oracle of Wisdom & Knowledge, the Collective Voice of our Moral Conscience
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27141 on: June 24, 2022, 04:43:30 pm »
I don’t agree with Kev on everything that he says (it’s not like he’s the only contributor partial to a bit of a mad shout), but there is something to be said about bringing your true personality to a popular podcast and having that personality offer up a great energy to the room, as is always the case when he is on. He’s hilarious, clearly loves the Reds and offers his opinions plainly and clearly, whether you agree with him or not. I was on a couple of TAW shows during their early days and it’s not as easy as it looks! Cut him some slack. They wouldn’t have him on there if they didn’t think he added value.

Online stewy17

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27142 on: June 24, 2022, 04:54:16 pm »
People have different opinions on players, I've got a mate who still swears blind Mo Salah is shite.

Kev more so than anyone on TAW reminds me of mates I grew up with and played footy with and bevied with back in the day. Good lads and good reds but bombastic and a bit fucking mad. Always had a mad shout about someone and wouldn't be moved. In that sense for me, hearing Kev talking shite with conviction is very much an authentic representation of some Liverpool fans from the city!

I don't know why everyone gets so offended by it, it's just some daft fellas opinion. Naby Keita doesn't give a flying fuck what Kev Walsh thinks.

Offline ljycb

• RAWK's Bullen Oracle of Wisdom & Knowledge, the Collective Voice of our Moral Conscience
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27143 on: June 24, 2022, 05:15:16 pm »
Kev more so than anyone on TAW reminds me of mates I grew up with and played footy with and bevied with back in the day. Good lads and good reds but bombastic and a bit fucking mad. Always had a mad shout about someone and wouldn't be moved. In that sense for me, hearing Kev talking shite with conviction is very much an authentic representation of some Liverpool fans from the city!

This is exactly right! He’s from my neck of the woods, so listening to him is like hearing one of my uncles or someone in my local. And it’s as it should be in my opinion.

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #27144 on: June 24, 2022, 10:19:34 pm »
Big names leaving…Biggest heartbreak?

Rush, Torres, Suarez, Mané, Gareth Roberts?

Offline red annie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #27145 on: June 24, 2022, 10:24:33 pm »

Kevin Keegan I am that old. However his replacement wasn’t half bad. 🤣🤣

Online Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27146 on: June 25, 2022, 08:20:11 am »

Rush replaced by Aldo - won the league., Torres - Suarez (arguably better) Suarez - Balotelli  :'(

So unless Gareth is replaced by more Kev Walsh, then its Suarez.
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #27147 on: June 26, 2022, 12:06:54 pm »
What a desert island goals with Damian Lewis!

Thanks to Andy for presenting, he always adds something different and valuable.  My god though, he sounded nervous at the start :D

Such a good interview, they are always best when then turn into a chat, and this was at its best.  Plus the single best name drop you will hear in any interview anywhere ;D

Thanks to the team who made the possible. Really great stuff
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #27148 on: June 26, 2022, 12:24:08 pm »
What a desert island goals with Damian Lewis!

Thanks to Andy for presenting, he always adds something different and valuable.  My god though, he sounded nervous at the start :D

Such a good interview, they are always best when then turn into a chat, and this was at its best.  Plus the single best name drop you will hear in any interview anywhere ;D

Thanks to the team who made the possible. Really great stuff

What David Cameron - nah, not having that  ;)
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27149 on: June 27, 2022, 11:54:36 am »
Great chat there with Dan Austin and John. Dan's doing phenomenal work on the Parisian fiasco.

Online Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #27150 on: June 28, 2022, 01:34:41 pm »
Gareth leaving is :'(
:D

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #27151 on: June 28, 2022, 09:02:05 pm »
Gareth leaving is :'(
What? Gareth is leaving?

That’s terrible..  love listening to him.

Good luck to him..
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #27152 on: June 28, 2022, 09:11:19 pm »
Yeah he will be missed. No reflection on the others but he has probably been the face of TAW for most casual viewers' because his has been the most immediately vivid personality onscreen/on-mic, and the one who most closely represents many of us as fans, and our reactions, esp in the immediate aftermath of results.

I'm very much a casual consumer of TAW; I don't subscribe, just watch the occasional free video and listen to the odd free podcast (yes, I know, it's my loss; but I'm afraid I simply don't have the spare time to make a subscription worthwhile) and my experience has been that from day one I knew who Robbo was, that I differentiated him from the rest, while it took quite some time to start putting names to faces for the others.

Again that's no reflectrion on the rest of the contributors; more a reflection on my own limited engagement.

And on the fact that Gareth has star quality. He just does. I have no doubt he'll be a success in whatever he goes onto.

Once more for old times, Robbo: "Alright the reds! Fookin get in!"
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27153 on: June 29, 2022, 11:52:10 pm »
If you take a step back and look totally objectively, it's hard to understand why we invest so much time, money and energy into following a group of millionaires kicking a ball around a grass field. We feel such highs and lows following something so arbitrary, why does the fortunes of our football club effect us so much, there's so much more to life yet it's so hard to walk away.

That's why I love the excellent 'What football means to me', a chance to put things in context, to share the interesting things in life that feed our addiction and drive us to indulge in our passion. How football is interwoven with our families and friends, our identities, where we come from. I've driven past Anfield or stopped at at that Dixie Dean memorial far too many times, laying flowers, saying final goodbyes to loved ones.  Friends defined in death by their love for Liverpool or Everton and so many times in that situation, even as a football fanatic myself, I've thought they were so much more than just Liverpool or Everton fans yet football plays a near religious role for so many working class people in our city, that is why I want to hear the backstories, because ultimately the people we live amongst are the most important and interesting thing about our shared love of football.

I thought Gareth's appearance was timely and interesting. I don't know Gareth personally although seen him at games, but I first noticed him during the end of Rafa, Hicks and Gillette days,  I saw he had started Well Red, I used to buy it because I agreed with him on most things during our fight for the club. In those days, you knew who's side you were on, never have I had so many stand up arguments at the match or written ones on places like here, so you felt an affinity to those who shared your opinions. Who could see what was going on, so always pleased to see him doing well with the Anfield Wrap. I've been going since the late sixties but had a break in the 80's when politics seemed a more important pull on my time than hitching and scraping my way around the country following the Reds. Was dragged back into it late 90's by young lads I worked with, reading between the lines seems like Gareth's looking at where football fit's into his life and I hope he ends up finding the answers that he's comfortable with because I've enjoyed his work on the Anfield Wrap and more importantly he comes across as a decent human being. He'll be missed as a regular contributor and best wishes with pastures new.
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline koptommy93

• Legacy Fan
  • @tharris113
« Reply #27154 on: June 30, 2022, 08:49:06 am »
Josh Sexton always sounds like he's running out of breath
I for one welcome our new insect overloads

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #27155 on: June 30, 2022, 10:35:55 am »
If you take a step back and look totally objectively, it's hard to understand why we invest so much time, money and energy into following a group of millionaires kicking a ball around a grass field. We feel such highs and lows following something so arbitrary, why does the fortunes of our football club effect us so much, there's so much more to life yet it's so hard to walk away.

That's why I love the excellent 'What football means to me', a chance to put things in context, to share the interesting things in life that feed our addiction and drive us to indulge in our passion. How football is interwoven with our families and friends, our identities, where we come from. I've driven past Anfield or stopped at at that Dixie Dean memorial far too many times, laying flowers, saying final goodbyes to loved ones.  Friends defined in death by their love for Liverpool or Everton and so many times in that situation, even as a football fanatic myself, I've thought they were so much more than just Liverpool or Everton fans yet football plays a near religious role for so many working class people in our city, that is why I want to hear the backstories, because ultimately the people we live amongst are the most important and interesting thing about our shared love of football.

I thought Gareth's appearance was timely and interesting. I don't know Gareth personally although seen him at games, but I first noticed him during the end of Rafa, Hicks and Gillette days,  I saw he had started Well Red, I used to buy it because I agreed with him on most things during our fight for the club. In those days, you knew who's side you were on, never have I had so many stand up arguments at the match or written ones on places like here, so you felt an affinity to those who shared your opinions. Who could see what was going on, so always pleased to see him doing well with the Anfield Wrap. I've been going since the late sixties but had a break in the 80's when politics seemed a more important pull on my time than hitching and scraping my way around the country following the Reds. Was dragged back into it late 90's by young lads I worked with, reading between the lines seems like Gareth's looking at where football fit's into his life and I hope he ends up finding the answers that he's comfortable with because I've enjoyed his work on the Anfield Wrap and more importantly he comes across as a decent human being. He'll be missed as a regular contributor and best wishes with pastures new.
Great post.

We all have different journeys in life which means that football - on some level or other - waxes and wanes in its importance and significance. The stuff Gareth seems to find tough to stomach is the constant noise around the sport that is exacerbated by the horrors of social media. In this sense, football is awful...it's just a touch difficult to totally kick the habit.

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #27156 on: June 30, 2022, 11:31:17 am »
If you take a step back and look totally objectively, it's hard to understand why we invest so much time, money and energy into following a group of millionaires kicking a ball around a grass field
I'm not sure how many of the Wrap staff play football these days.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #27157 on: June 30, 2022, 11:40:01 am »

;D
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Don Vito Corleone

• I want you all to call me Loretta
  • Legacy Fan
  • They talk when they should be listening
« Reply #27158 on: June 30, 2022, 11:43:02 am »

Hiya
"I never wanted this for you. I work my whole life--I don't apologize--to take care of my family, and I refused to be a fool, dancing on the string held by all those bigshots. I don't apologize--that's my life--but I thought that, that when it was your time, that you would be the one to hold the string."

Online Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #27159 on: June 30, 2022, 11:45:23 am »
:D