Author Topic: Blackburn 2 Liverpool 2 - Unlucky Breaks  (Read 10032 times)

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
Blackburn 2 Liverpool 2 - Unlucky Breaks
« on: October 30, 2004, 09:03:50 pm »
How on earth can one league fixture throw up - and that's an apposite phrase following the slow-motion replays of Cisse's leg snapping - three broken legs in 13 months? And all Liverpool players? I can only hope that at the end of this season Blackburn get relegated - simply to save us from losing key players to plaster casts and crutches for months on end.

I'm not sure how many other teams have lost key players to fractured limbs this season, but with Steven Gerrard still out (but on the mend), we've now lost two. Our squad is not as deep as some, especially in the out-and-out striker department. Another striker - Anthony Le Tallec - could possibly be called back from loan (I'd imagine, anyway), but last I heard, he was out injured for three months.

It's been a week of bruising battles. The Millwall game was frenetic, with Kevin Muscat trying to maim anyone who crossed his path. Then at Blackburn Tugay did enough to land a seasons'-worth of suspensions and somehow remained on the pitch. No surprise really that the opposition this week were managed by the bête noire figures of Denis Wise and Mark Hughes.

In the circumstances - 2-1 down and a player in hospital - a draw was a good result. Mark Hughes had his players super-hyped-up, and they came flying into us (mostly legal, but occasionally overstepping the mark, although nothing too sinister this time around).

At home is not where Blackburn have struggled (not a single away point all season). We've ended a series of away defeats with two away wins and a draw - still very creditable form, whomever the opposition. Man United needed the ref to miss a blatant handball on a lucky last-minute goal to rescue a point at Ewood Park; we're now above Man U having played one game less - at this stage of our evolution it's a nice place to be.

Our visit to Ewood Park was frenetic, and a good lesson for the Spanish lads: Josemi looking well off the pace (so he needs to start learning quickly); Luis Garcia looked lively as a sub; and Alonso again showing that if you give him time and space he can be devastating; but also that if not, he'll find his own time and space. Only once we get Gerrard back alongside him, can we truly kick on, with what will be the best midfield combination in the world. If we can dominate in the centre, it will help compensate for any weaknesses elsewhere (until Rafa spends money to address them).

Two of his predecessor's £3m signings scored our goals. After 64 games without one, Riise has two goals in a week. He might have had another when he cut inside on his right foot and again opted to use his left - good play in one regard in getting a ferocious strike in, but the angle was better when on his right foot for the far post curler (see Brett Emerton, 45th minute). Something tells me he'll never learn, but at least he's looking like the player who arrived in 2001.

Houllier also deserves credit for the 'steal' of Baros from Banik Ostrava. £3m for the man who went on to win the Golden Boot at Euro 2004, and now our top scorer with seven goals? A bargain. Now Milan is finally getting a run in the side, out of Owen's shadow (and away from doubts about similar styles), our number five is looking awesome. He can still frustrate, but his running - both with and without the ball - is phenomenal. Unlike Heskey, another who kept him from the team, he frustrates from taking too much on in terms of attacking the opposition, but I prefer a determined goal-hungry player to one who always looks for the safe option. Milan's awareness is getting better, but I don't want him to lose that directness which can make him unplayable at times.

Once clean through on goal, Milan is looking formidable. We are currently seeing the Czech Republic version of the player, now he feels 'loved' and trusted. The way he finished past Brad Friedel was superbly cool and composed, and reminiscent of the way he scored against Denmark over the summer: slightly different finish, but the same lack of panic.

I still can't work out how exactly quick Milan is. Nippy and determined sums him up. He is one of very few players who appear as quick when running with the ball as without. He doesn't boot the ball 20 yards and chase it, as Cisse tends to do (as, until the accident, Cisse knew no-one was capable of matching him over 20 yards). Milan dribbles the ball very close to his feet, but shuffles those feet really quickly, like mini-pistons. He's strong and holds players off so well.

Another Houllier signing, Djimi Traore, continues his metamorphosis from "Bambi on ice" (a description his critics over-used) to a Lilian Thuram-type full-back. Okay, I'm possibly over-stretching things a bit, but I'd like to know if there is a better last-ditch tackler in world football? Those telescopic legs hook danger away just as you think the opposition is in on goal. He's cutting out the mistakes, and getting forward well. We've seen enough false dawns from Djimi in the past to get carried away just yet, but maybe - as he reaches maturity in terms of defenders (few defenders are mistake-free before their mid-20s) - he's turning into the finished article. Watch this space.

It was good to see an opposing full-back make the kind of glaring error Djimi may once have made, in gifting us the equalizer (there was still a lot for Luis Garcia and Baros to do to score, however). In the RAWK feature where we ask opposing fans their view on the game, a discussion between the two Blackburn contributors broke out. One noted that McEveley was "mistake after mistake". It happens with young defenders - just not normally quite as generously as that, where he worked a Blackburn free-kick in our half into a goal for Baros.

It's been a difficult week. The Millwall game may not have proven that the kids are definitely good enough, individually, for the top level of football, but it did show that the philosophy of Benitez - the style of play: high tempo, pass-and-move, defend a high line, play as a team - is something that is following through with the squad's fringe players and future hopefuls. The entire playing staff is slowly coming to terms with the new approach - one wavelength, it seems. At Blackburn we competed physically, in a tough physical game, and we looked to try and keep the ball on the ground and work openings; not always successfully, but the improvement on earlier in the season was evident.

Just a couple of worries remain: the lack of pace at the back, Traore aside, which makes such a high line (which is essential to stop us conceding territory) a dangerous ploy at times. And zonal marking threw up another heart-in-mouth example of static players losing out to a running jumper (well done to Luis Garcia on the line). But it wouldn't be right if there wasn't still stuff for Rafa to work on so early in his tenure.

Although I was ecstatic when Milan pulled us level, the game was soured for me after our number nine was stretchered off in the first half; to have lost after leading would have been hard to stomach, especially as we'd clearly lost Cisse for the season - so to rescue something seemed both essential, and strangely irrelevant (you still can't exactly claim that the injury wasn't in vain; one point is no compensation for a broken leg).

It turned out to be a pretty innocuous foul - a clumsy tangling of legs - that did for Cisse. I can only wish him a speedy recovery, and hope that from watching a lot of English football on television over the coming months he picks up pointers for his game, and that when he returns he feels under slightly less pressure when the 'new boy' tag will have worn off and expectations have lowered a little.

A comminuted fracture, which he suffered, is where the bone is broken, splintered or crushed into a number of pieces. It was therefore not a clean, simple break. So first of all, we must hope he manages to play again - careers are occasionally ended by nasty injuries. 

Florent Sinama-Pongolle now has the chance he has been waiting for. His pace and silky touch will cause defenders problems. Whether he can score enough goals remains a valid question, but if he can offer the pace and directness Cisse was contributing to our recent good results, and help push teams back with Milan Baros, room will be created for others. Luis Garcia and Kewell are two other options, and both can score goals playing just off of the main striker. Kewell's best position, to my mind, is as the second striker, and with Riise getting into good positions from the left, it could be Harry's way back into the team, with Garcia cutting in from the right flank. Nunez is another player who can play as a striker; but he needs to just play - full stop - before we can judge his worth in that role.

But Baros is now the main man. We're relying on him to score goals, but seeing the way he plays football, he would want it no other way.

© Paul Tomkins 2004*

* polite note: while I don't mind my articles being posted on other forums (providing accreditation is included - preferably with a link to RAWK), as that is the nature of the internet, I do object when people pass my work off as their own, and then, when challenged, claim to be me!

« Last Edit: October 30, 2004, 10:28:44 pm by Paul Tomkins »

Offline docker

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Blackburn 2 Liverpool 2 - Unlucky Breaks
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2004, 10:20:35 pm »
agree about lack of pace at back, and if a game confirmed we need a centre half it was today,Cara got pulled out of position so many times, especially when he got turned for the first goal, lets not kid ourselves, if we are to progress then we have to drop sentiments, and go out and replace henchoz...
block 107

Offline janmolbyslovechild

• Anny Roader
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2004, 10:29:28 pm »
 >:( cant believe this has happened again. as soon as you saw the reply you knew he was in a bad way, get well soon. totally agree with you about jimmy, he could turn out to be a world beater. he might soon regret saying he'll play for mali. i still dont understand wht diao gets on the bench before biscan, and were has john welsh gone?
Great days have gone, more will come!!!

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2004, 10:31:06 pm »
Welsh doesn't seem to be rated by Rafa at the moment. The lad needs a loan spell to get some experience, to help him improve.

Offline Obi Wan Gomi

• Would like to see more moustaches in the dressing room
  • Legacy Fan
  • we'll win it six times
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2004, 11:00:39 pm »
thank god for that. some positives to take away from the game - im absolutely gutted about cisse, its just such bad luck. blackburn werent malicious (apart from tugay) but they really were over the top.
77-78-81-84-05

Offline Fernando

• Boys Pen
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2004, 11:03:15 pm »
Definitely time to get the cheque book out and sign a class striker such as Morientes now - all the more reason to beat Coruna and get throught to the last sixteen in the european cup for the cash. We are horribly threadbare up top now, I'd even have Heskey playing up there now alongside Barros.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2004, 11:13:40 pm »
Good article Paul. I think all LFC fans would rather we never returned to Ewood Park after our last 2 Premiership visits. Gerard Houllier deserves credit for the signings of Baros & Riise. Traore has definitely improved this season hopefully Josemi will follow suit.

Florent Sinama-Pongolle does have the skill and pace to cause defences a lot of problems. Like Emile Heskey he will judged on how many goals he scores for us and if he doesn't seize his opportunity this season I get the impression he never will.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2004, 12:04:16 am »
* polite note: while I don't mind my articles being posted on other forums (providing accreditation is included - preferably with a link to RAWK), as that is the nature of the internet, I do object when people pass my work off as their own, and then, when challenged, claim to be me!
Jaysus, do people really do that!  :o  ;D. Unbelievable!

'Never walk out your front door thinking you're off to watch a battering.' is something I'll try harder to remember from now on.

Sometimes when we score early on, especially away, I get a tad jittery. Ecstatically happy of course, but there's too much time for things to go wrong. Maybe under Ged we played a little defensively after an early lead and helped cement this cowardice in me, but in Rafa, I truly thought of a blitz - and it's been years since the number 8 came into my head as a goal tally (if truth be told I was even cheekier and a 9 flashed into my head  ;D). Beautiful goal by Risse, the first touch complimenting Xabi's pinpoint cross and the finish wonderfully assured.  Here we go!

So why did we drop off? Was it just me or did the players think what I was thinking, that we'd just win the ball back in a mo and get another? Josemi completely switched off... STOP RAISING YOUR HANDS APPEALING FOR AN OFF BLOODY SIDE!! and they got the equalizer and battled their way back into the game, deservedly. But it wasn't the move which upset me... it was the period of quite contentment in our play beforehand which raised a few question marks.

A point gained rather than 2 dropped in the end - never thought that would be the case versus a Blackburn side languishing at the bottom . Those 2 extra points was SO wanted.

For the strikers, we have alternatives so I'm not paniking, but we DO need a striker in this fecking transfer window - FLO will hopefully puff his chest out now and take his chance with both hands - the rest of this season could well be definitive for him - he'll wish Djib all the best of course, but his eyes should be popping out of his head and be raring to go get those 10-15 goals thats in him now.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2004, 12:42:27 am »
A comminuted fracture, which he suffered, is where the bone is broken, splintered or crushed into a number of pieces. It was therefore not a clean, simple break. So first of all, we must hope he manages to play again - careers are occasionally ended by nasty injuries. 

Shit. I think that's what happened to a friend of mine when he went skiing. Took him a year to get back in shape.

This injury to Cisse can only mean we'll buy ourselves a new striker within a couple of months. We sure have important players out now. Gerrard, Nunez (for options) and Cisse. All we need now is an injury to Sami or Carra and we're in deep shit. Give us a ref who's been to the same school as the last two and it can happen any day. Muscat and Tugay belong in Fight Club, not on a football pitch when they play like they have against us.

Can't wait to see Nunez in action. I think we're alright with Finnan at RM, but I don't want Garcia there. I believe we need a player who likes to exploit space in front of him down the wing. Garcia likes to move inside and I just don't think he'll do the trick for us out wide. JAR scored today, but I prefer to have Harry at LM. He's got more to his game. With Smicer (and ALT) coming back, it sure seems we have a big selection of supporting strikers (LG, VS, ALT, HK and maybe even FSP). To me that means Harry will have to be placed at LM.
Milan sure begins to look like the Czech version of Baros, which is great. He'll have plenty of work to do now that he's on his own. Probably it's too much, but he's at least shown he can find the net.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Online afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2004, 01:30:26 am »

And zonal marking ;D threw up another heart-in-mouth example of static players losing out to a running jumper (well done to Luis Garcia on the line). But it wouldn't be right if there wasn't still stuff for Rafa to work on so early in his tenure.

can i get a ruling from the judges? voluntary discussion of zonal marking from one Paul Tomkins, esq?

by the way, Garcia on the goal line is part of the zonal marking system of Rafa;  i know that teams that man-mark do it too, but you often don't see two defenders on the line while defending corners.  Rafa got this one right.

and i wonder if Arsenal are going to be subject to an inquest about the failure of their man-marking system against Southampton.  i know it's the "right" way to defend set-pieces, but the Arsenal marking was atrocious, two goals for Delap a testament to the failure of THAT system.

again, i think it remains a question more of how the players attack the ball, whether the system is zonal or man-to-man...

sorry for the tactical digression, we now return you to the arts...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2004, 08:34:02 am »
Yeah, Arsenal's defending was appalling. In their defence (as he was not in their defence) was Sol Campbell's absence. But there are problems with both systems, and if it was man-to-man I'd still be worried if teams were getting free headers on goal. I did add that there are problems still for Rafa to solve - I didn't say ditch zonal marking, just that the problem needs solving.

The incident I mentioned was again Sami not being able to attack the ball as he was standing in his position, while Craig Short had a free run at the ball from the edge of the area. It's not good enough, and the zonal marking needs to improve over the coming months, or be replaced. 

Yes Rob, that has actually happened! As for the game, I never fancied us to thrash Blackburn at their place. It was played more like a cup tie as the game progressed - up-and-at-'em stuff. I don't think we retreated or backed off, I just think the game swung their way after one terrible misjudgement by Sami and Josemi on the first goal - having defended Sami this week, he had a mare for the second too (as did the static Josemi).

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2004, 11:54:48 am »

Just a couple of worries remain: the lack of pace at the back, Traore aside, which makes such a high line (which is essential to stop us conceding territory) a dangerous ploy at times. And zonal marking threw up another heart-in-mouth example of static players losing out to a running jumper (well done to Luis Garcia on the line). But it wouldn't be right if there wasn't still stuff for Rafa to work on so early in his tenure.

Think the goals that have gone in over the weekend show that neither system is any good if players don't do their jobs properly.In our case, at least Luis Garcia did his. Chelsea's first against West Brom was a shocker as both Terry and Gallas lost their "man markers" with ease which left a massive gap allowing Gallas an unchallenged volley.Both Southampton goals showed Arsenal were all over the place.

Difficult game yesterday as they were fired up for it.Both goals I felt where more down to poor play than pace. Sami didn't hold the line, playing them onside (admittedly,after that the lack of pace in chasing back was evident) and a failure to control and clear the ball caused the second.

I felt the injury to Cisse knocked us off stride a bit, but great to see us level it and create chances which would've won the game.How Tugay stayed on though, I'll never know. Would've been nice to have taken all 3 points, but at least we are starting to get something from the aways as well as the homes.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2004, 12:05:42 pm »
I think when you see a teammate break their leg in such a horrific fashion it has to affect you - so I wasn't surprised it put us off our stride.

The zonal problem is the same as saying 'our marking was poor at set pieces' from man-to-man marking, as I would if our marking was letting us down. The system isn't working, but I wasn't saying ditch it, just that it remains a worry. Just as West Brom and Arsenal will be worried by their defending at set pieces, we should still be worried about ours. Hopefully it will get sorted soon - although neither system is foolproof.

We've been keeping clean sheets at home for ages - we just need to sort things out away, where two goals against is becoming a pattern.

Offline cyn

• Archivist
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2004, 12:51:56 pm »
Excellent article as usual, Paul.

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2004, 12:54:30 pm »
Excellent article as usual, Paul.

Cheers, Cyn!  :wave

Offline Holiara

• All hail the lovely lady who brings gifts of Baileys to the weary traveller
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2004, 01:11:11 pm »
Good read, thanks Paul  :)

After reading that Milan heard the leg break, I have to applaud him even more for keeping up his usual no-compromise style.  It must have been like a dejá-vu for him and Jamie, but it didn't stop them. Amazing show of guts and heart.

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2004, 01:25:13 pm »
Cheers, Holiara!  :)

Milan does take a battering, doesn't he? I guess he thought he'd used up his bad luck last season!

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2004, 01:34:31 pm »
It really is about time that Referee's started to clamp down on the batterings that Milan is getting. Depor kicked the crap out of him the other week and there where a couple of tackles yesterday that could of badly hurt him.I accept that defenders will whack players, I expect Jamie and Josemi to dish a bit out to opposing players too, but Milan seems to be a specific target for some teams.We really cannot afford to lose Milan too.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2004, 01:45:31 pm »
It really is about time that Referee's started to clamp down on the batterings that Milan is getting. Depor kicked the crap out of him the other week and there where a couple of tackles yesterday that could of badly hurt him.I accept that defenders will whack players, I expect Jamie and Josemi to dish a bit out to opposing players too, but Milan seems to be a specific target for some teams.We really cannot afford to lose Milan too.

Well said, and too true! He invites tackles and fouls in the way he runs at players with the ball, but some of the stick is OTT.

Offline docker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2004, 03:06:42 pm »
paul, have to disagree with your comment regarding first goal being fault of hypia & josemi. cos from were i was in the ground, everyone around me say carra was the problem when he went out of position to challenge dickov, got turned, and played the ball through, also he was not commanding his area, poor in the ariel battle,and didnt have a good game.
block 107

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2004, 03:12:50 pm »
paul, have to disagree with your comment regarding first goal being fault of hypia & josemi. cos from were i was in the ground, everyone around me say carra was the problem when he went out of position to challenge dickov, got turned, and played the ball through, also he was not commanding his area, poor in the ariel battle,and didnt have a good game.

If that's the way you saw it, fine. All I know is that Hyypia and Josemi looked at fault for stepping up - Hyypia dropped in deep to cover a run and then just stepped up to play offside, and badly. Alan Hansen said Sami was at fault as well.

Offline docker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2004, 03:17:32 pm »
so are you saying that carra had no part in their 1st goal.
block 107

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2004, 03:32:15 pm »
so are you saying that carra had no part in their 1st goal.

No. He was part of the defence that conceded it. But if it was Carra's job to leave the back four to challenge for the ball (which I've seen him do successfully on plenty of ocassions this season), and he did that and got dragged out of position, then it was down to the others to deal with it.

To be honest, I can't remember Carra's movements leading up to the goal. Maybe he was also at fault, I couldn't honestly say for sure. All I know is that Josemi and Sami cocked up with the offside trap.

Offline docker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2004, 03:36:02 pm »
he got turned by dickof, which put sami & josemi in danger!
block 107

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2004, 03:50:58 pm »
he got turned by dickof, which put sami & josemi in danger!

Fair enough.

Offline nige

• RAWK Poet Laureate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2004, 03:59:32 pm »

and i wonder if Arsenal are going to be subject to an inquest about the failure of their man-marking system against Southampton.  i know it's the "right" way to defend set-pieces, but the Arsenal marking was atrocious, two goals for Delap a testament to the failure of THAT system.

Fair point. Did you lip read Wenger to his assistant on the highlights when they went 2-1 down : a look of  enfuriation & he clearly says the word "Patrick" preceded by something like  "where's ". Priceless  :D

So much for never seeing stuff & never criticising your own players en publique !
« Last Edit: November 1, 2004, 11:42:03 am by nige »

Offline stevemacsteve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2004, 09:26:57 pm »
Pace is something we lacked badly throughout the game and we were lucky not to get punished as much as we did. Didi was struggling for about half of his game along with Hyypia and Josemi who at times looked as if he didn't want to be there.
I don't think Xabi got enough praise in that game. I've lost count of the amount of times I've been shouting for the trade mark Gerrard pass to be played across field this month, then, Xabi tries it 1's (and with his left peg!) and we've got a goal. If there's 1 thing we've missed the most without Stevie is that sweet ball he plays to break team's up. I'm just glad to see some out on the pitch having a go at it to.
WELL DONE XABI KEEP IT UP!!
http://twitter.com/stevewatt1

John looks like a "special" guy who's just won a day out training with his heroes.
"My names John!  I like crayons!"

Karamjit

« Reply #27 on: November 1, 2004, 06:46:19 am »
"In the RAWK feature where we ask opposing fans their view on the game, a discussion between the two Blackburn contributors broke out. One noted that McEveley was "mistake after mistake". It happens with young defenders - just not normally quite as generously as that, where he worked a Blackburn free-kick in our half into a goal for Baros."

Its not the only thing that guy predicted. One of them also predicted a score line of 2-2 - go figure!  ::)

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: November 1, 2004, 08:01:34 am »
Its not the only thing that guy predicted. One of them also predicted a score line of 2-2 - go figure!  ::)

:D

Offline Neil W

• Boys Pen
« Reply #29 on: November 1, 2004, 11:58:36 am »
See one or two fellow Rovers fans on here - have had a quick look around.  And I think Mottman posts on here, he's a regular (not too frequent) contributor on the brfcs.com board where I post.

Anyway, couple of things I wanted to let you know after Sat.  First - sympathies on Djibril Cisse.  One or two of your lads had been quite keen to get to know the Ewood Pk turf before that so from where I was sat, there was the usual jeering when he went to ground.  But I don't think I was alone in seeing Baros and Friedel signalling over to the dug outs and medics to get over there sharpish.  I don't think there was even contact between McEveley and Cisse.  Hope he makes a full and swift recovery.

Secondly, best game we've had at Ewood for quite a while.  Trying to be unbiased, either team could have sneaked it but I think a draw was about right.  Hope Rovers can continue playing like they did on Sat - we'll be OK if we do - and all the best to LFC, maybe Pongolle will prove to be a revelation (till Jan anyway)!  Anyway, finish in front of that scum from Old Trafford and make the football world happy.

Offline Stuart V

• Main Stander
  • Manchester, wank wank wank.
« Reply #30 on: November 1, 2004, 12:05:06 pm »
I thought the reaction from the home supporters was excellent when Cisse was carried off, everyone was clapping etc which was a nice gesture.
I swop directions round London for tickets!!!

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: November 1, 2004, 12:10:53 pm »
Secondly, best game we've had at Ewood for quite a while.  Trying to be unbiased, either team could have sneaked it but I think a draw was about right.  Hope Rovers can continue playing like they did on Sat - we'll be OK if we do - and all the best to LFC, maybe Pongolle will prove to be a revelation (till Jan anyway)!  Anyway, finish in front of that scum from Old Trafford and make the football world happy.

Yeah, I was very impressed with Blackburn (Tugay excepted - what was he on?!). Both teams had chances to win it, and the stats show that we shaded it on chances (on and off target) but it was hard to argue with a draw.

Good reaction from Blackburn fans for Cisse.

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #32 on: November 1, 2004, 01:49:30 pm »
Getting sick of saying this ;D ;D ;D- but great post (again) Paul.
It's the comparison with man Utd you touch on that interests me at the moment. Their result at blackburn was hand and Alex assissted, so perhaps in hindsight we should have expected a  bit of grit from Ewood. That doesn't excuse Tugay though, who is good enough a player not to have to set out to cripple Baros. We are told that Ferguson is in the process of rebuilding his side. In doing so he has spent many millions recently (Ferdinand/Heinze/Ronaldo/Rooney etc)- and yet this is the team that won the title two years back and the European Cup four summers ago. Without their multiple millions, we have a manager who-through his hand being forced- has to similarly rebuild with  a fraction of the resources available.  He has made some shrewd buys-and sales/loans- since assuming power. Given the choice, i think it's fair to say he would not have signed a significant number of the players at his disposal now. We have yet to discover which players will be sold soon er rather than later, for as he has proved Rafa is no respecter of 'star names' per se. Yet he has the experience and the tactical nous to take us forward without United's bulging coffers. Even starting from a position of comparitive weakness, I fully expect him (even accepting Djib's injury, which may cause us to reassess our targets for this season) to surplant MU in third. 
The future's red. The future's Rafa. Ahora y siempre, as the great man might say

Offline El mooro

• Compo of the Opera
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "A Bastion of Invincibility"
« Reply #33 on: November 1, 2004, 02:05:30 pm »
I still think the first bb goal weas clearly offside. When seen from the side cam, the ball is deffo played forward to a player, imho, about a foot in front of the last defender.

I thought so at the game, and even more so since the t.v. replays.

Good report Paul (and you didn't mention you know what once ;) ).
Daft Little Ground, Silly Game, Eff Off!

Offline AS

• Main Stander
« Reply #34 on: November 1, 2004, 03:46:57 pm »

(Tugay excepted - what was he on?!).

Milan's Bollocks wasn't it ?!!!

Mr Weaver - is that you ?

;)
'You can't say my team aren't winners. They've proved that by finishing fourth, third and second in the last three years.' - GERARD HOULLIER

Offline Neil W

• Boys Pen
« Reply #35 on: November 1, 2004, 03:58:53 pm »

Mr Weaver - is that you ?

;)

Could be  ;) .  Certainly no relation of Tugay or Baros' bollocks.  Might that be an adopted poster?

Offline AS

• Main Stander
« Reply #36 on: November 1, 2004, 04:01:34 pm »
Certainly   :wave
'You can't say my team aren't winners. They've proved that by finishing fourth, third and second in the last three years.' - GERARD HOULLIER

Offline janmolbyslovechild

• Anny Roader
« Reply #37 on: November 1, 2004, 08:30:02 pm »
I still think the first bb goal weas clearly offside. When seen from the side cam, the ball is deffo played forward to a player, imho, about a foot in front of the last defender.

it dont matter mooro, the goalscorer was behind the ball when it was passed so he cant be offside.
« Last Edit: November 1, 2004, 08:31:47 pm by janmolbyslovechild »
Great days have gone, more will come!!!

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: November 1, 2004, 08:55:24 pm »

it dont matter mooro, the goalscorer was behind the ball when it was passed so he cant be offside.

I think he means the initial pass to Emerton, down the wing - not when Emerton squared it. I have to agree, it was fractionally offside - and as with Garcia's goal at Bolton, the luck was against us. However, as soon as you step out and 'play' offside, you run that risk, so I felt it was more our poor defending.

Offline AdamS

• Hey I'm Not Camp! But I am a tart...
  • Legacy Fan
    • BollockyBoo
« Reply #39 on: November 2, 2004, 12:26:59 am »
I'm sure Rovers won't finish in the bottom half. You have a good manager & some good players. We, unfortunately caught you on the rebound >:(
If A is a success in life, than A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut.