Author Topic: Boxing thread  (Read 4129799 times)

Online nozza

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Boxing thread
« Reply #40 on: August 8, 2005, 10:06:50 pm »
Great to see a boxing thread on here.....nice one. Best relatively recent  fights  I have seen...Ward Gatti 1.2 3.....Castillo - Corrales, Barrera - Morales and  Trinidad- Mayorga  to name a fewthere are too many classics prior to that to mention.
my favorite boxer right now is Winky Wright.....pure class and only just getting the recognition he deserves.

Offline Mirra

• The Cock of RAWK. desperately seeking two fat ladies. His ass found glass in the grass.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No one on the corner got a swagger like me
« Reply #41 on: August 8, 2005, 10:09:16 pm »
Winky Wright is class, hes been under rated for years. Heard hes signed to fight De La Hoya, that should be a good one, think he'll do Oscar and retire him for good. His heart just isnt in it anymore.
Mirra, 7777 wake up the thread needs you!

Online nozza

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: August 8, 2005, 10:17:04 pm »
One last pay day for Oscar...Winky will deffo do him, hope Oscar retires, he has been a great champion, I was a little bit dubious about the kidney punch he got against Hopkins, I thought he just wanted out of that fight.

Offline Mirra

• The Cock of RAWK. desperately seeking two fat ladies. His ass found glass in the grass.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: August 8, 2005, 10:18:24 pm »
I know what yuo mean mate, especially after him and Hopkins became business partners almost straight after the fight. Was a bit suspect like, but if hopkins did catch him where he said he did then id believe it hurt that much!

Online nozza

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: August 8, 2005, 10:23:53 pm »
I dunno, I have seen Oscar take some stick before and I also thought his antics after the knockdown gave it away, punching the canvas an all that...It just seemed a bit dodgy to me ...Still think he has been a great champion though. What do you think about Holyfield wanting to fight again ? everybody has advised against it but he seem's pretty adamant about getting back in the ring.

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: August 8, 2005, 10:27:28 pm »
I Think Evander needs his license taking off him, he shouldnt be in the ring. His speech is already slurred mate, he sounds punch drunk when you hear him talk. I think hes going to get seriously hurt if he carrys on fighting.

Online nozza

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: August 8, 2005, 10:35:56 pm »
Agreed, they should revoke licences when they get all fucked up like Holyfield. He was on some Ballroom dancing reality show recently and it was fuckin sad.

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: August 8, 2005, 10:38:26 pm »
Aye I heard about that, I Heard Larry Holmes is still active as well? Fucking hell, hes talking about wanting to fight George Foreman too! Riddick Bowes latest comeback is sad as well, hes huge now. Fat, and he got hammered by some no hoper not so long ago, he was lucky to get the decision. He doesnt need the money, he just loves the sport and with the state of the heavies at the minute who can blame him for thinking he still has it in him to be a world champ again.

Offline Dermot

• Rent this renovated space for just £3.99/month. Price includes neon backlighting.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: August 9, 2005, 11:01:11 pm »
See what sporting matters in about this friday, fuck sake.  :butt :butt :butt
The cheek of that mon, deserves a shlap

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2005, 10:08:55 pm »
See what sporting matters in about this friday, fuck sake.  :butt :butt :butt

Just got back home from holiday, but i taped it, just watched it and it was decent :) Hopkins is quite a bloke!

in other news, anyone see the clip of Naz? ;D Fucking hell!

Offline jarg of pickled onions

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2005, 10:25:14 pm »
Jeezus - has he been going for romantic meals with Neil Mellor?

Offline Dowling10

• Busted
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scousers rule the country.
« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2005, 10:34:27 pm »
thats not Naz, that can't be

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2005, 12:07:19 am »
thats not Naz, that can't be

Thats what I thought mate ;D It is though, I always used to hear he'd put on 25lbs inbeetween fights before, it seems like that all caught up with him. He can kiss a comeback goodbye now thuogh, hes 31 and he'll never get back down to 9stone now.

Offline Cusamano

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Natural Police
« Reply #53 on: September 5, 2005, 09:10:54 pm »
khan is fighting some 34 year old on saturday.

Does anybody know anything about him?

Hope he is not another one of those walkovers that warren has planned. I want to see a real fight this time.
Wake up, will ya pal? If you're not inside, you're outside, OK? And I'm not talking a $400,000 a year working Wall Street stiff flying first class and being comfortable, I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. Fifty, a hundred million dollars buddy. A player. - Gordon Gekko

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: September 5, 2005, 09:23:45 pm »
khan is fighting some 34 year old on saturday.

Does anybody know anything about him?

Hope he is not another one of those walkovers that warren has planned. I want to see a real fight this time.

Thats all it will be mate, Khan wont fight anyone serious for a long time  yet. They'll just build up his record with a few journeymen so he can learn, he is still a boy like. But its going to be harder for him as everyone he faces will be wanting to make a name for themselves by knocking him out. Many people who know more about Khan than me tell me he cant really take a solid shot to the chin so we'll see

Offline Drobs

• dnegeL
  • Legacy Fan
  • Someday, everything is gonna be different...
« Reply #55 on: September 5, 2005, 09:42:11 pm »
Think Khan's opponent is From Coventry isnt he? Im sure i saw something about that in the local rag a while back.
**After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music **

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: September 5, 2005, 10:07:07 pm »
Heard Joe Calzaghe whinging the other day about Sky damaging his career. Saying if he had fought on ITV like Benn, Eubank and Collins all did he would be big. He thinks he would beat all 3 and did beat Eubank, but he was well past it when he did. Joe, the reason your unpopular is because your a whinging twat whos never fought anyone, Tocker Pudwell for  your 35th fight? Come on lad, get your finger out!

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: September 5, 2005, 10:15:08 pm »
I agree mate, Lacy looks to big a job for Joe to me like.

Offline redmen9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: September 5, 2005, 10:33:19 pm »
Winner of this one takes on Calzaghe apparently, a fighter Ive never rated since hes just been a hyped up creation of Frank Warren. Since he beat a well past it Chris Eubank hes irritated me. Claims he is the man but he's only left the UK once if i remember right to fight a nobody on the Tyson/Nielsen undercard. The lad he fought was well out of his depth and could of got seriously hurt. Yet Joe still hyped himself up (because apart from Frank "Ill hype them up til they leave me" Warren) nobody else really has?

Think you're being a bit harsh on Calzaghe there mate, I think he's been a fantastic fighter only no one is willing to put any of their belts on the line to face him.

I've always been a fan of Welsh boxers, Colin Jones, Robbie Regan, Steve Robinson and more recently Enzo Macarinelli, but Calzaghe is by far the best there's been.

Yes Eubank was drawing towards the end of his career when he met Joey, but he still had the power and the durability and it is to Joe's credit that Eubank declared afterwards that he had never been hit harder in his career!

Calzaghe is a naturally strong puncher, his training involves very little "weights work", he has a natural ability to punch hard and he has quite a strong jaw too.

Joe has spent his entire career going after unification fights and has chased down all the big names in the hope of a "career making fight" only to b e turned down time and time again.  Personally I blame Frank Warren for not being able to nail down a deal with Roy Jones Junior or Bernard Hopkins for a fight that Calzaghe deserves.  He's done all he can to get that shot and I'm convinced that if he does get his opportunity, he'll take it with both hands and retire straight away.  He simply wants the opportunity to write his name into the history books as the undisputed champion of the world.

Like him or not you've got to admit he deserves a shot and considering that he's been willing to step up a weight division to realize his dreams speaks volumes about his desire in my books!

Oh JOEY JOEY!  JOEY JOEY JOEY CALZAGHE!

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: September 5, 2005, 11:47:43 pm »
Maybe it is a bit harsh on him, but he cant go around blaming everyone else for his problems like he has blamed Sky Television for him not being a big star. Ricky Hatton is and all his fights have been shown on Sky, Frank Warren said himself that Hatton proves you can create a superstar on sattelite television. So what has happened to Joe?

The big fights have been there, Hopkins would of fought him he said if they offered him more money and took the fight in America. That broke down though obviously. Warren hypes him up ridicioulsy and i cant see why. He was very lucky to get a win over Robbie Reid, i thought Reid was robbed in that fight and looking at his record, Reid was one of the better fighters he had faced. Eubank had nothing left at the time he fought Joe, he knew his time was up. Eubank was done after the Collins fights. Chris was never a huge puncher to begin with, and i always feel he held back after the second Watson fight and that is understandable. I would of liked to of seen a prime Nigel Benn against Calzaghe, then we would of seen what he was made of. Joe has it all to prove, time is running out for him. I hope he can beat Lacy, hey hes a  yank isnt he? ;D Just hope he gets his finger out.

Offline Dermot

• Rent this renovated space for just £3.99/month. Price includes neon backlighting.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: September 5, 2005, 11:50:45 pm »
Whats all this crap over Khan, can't see anything special myself.
The cheek of that mon, deserves a shlap

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: September 6, 2005, 12:02:49 am »
Agree about Khan like, hes done nothing to suggest hes going to be the big star everyone keeps saying about him. His fights shouldnt be on the tele, well maybe on a undercard and all that. Who remembers Hattons, Lewis, Eubanks, Benns (well i remember his, was against me Das mate first ruond KO ;D) He shouldnt be a big star already, it might sound like a bit of jealousy but its not. Its for his own good. He should be kept busy as possible for the first 2 years of his career and then start getting  the exposure in my opinion. I hope he does go on to do big things as he seems a decent lad when ive heard him speak. He probally will move up a couple of weights as he seems to have the height for it. Id like to see him fight Tony Doherty one day, Tony is a great lad, proper decent bloke and hard as nails. Hes married to my cousin Margaret and is a proper Gypsy boxer. I think hes giong to be a huge star in British boxing, he certainly has all of us lot buying tickets for his fights like hot cakes!

Offline Bronx Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: September 6, 2005, 03:34:03 am »
Khan is a victim of the famous british press,they will big him up no end.He may grow into a great fighter but i agree with u's that he needs to build his own reputation.Its allso very unfair on the lad,he should be let get on with his carear out off the limelight with out all the extra pressure.

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #63 on: September 6, 2005, 10:27:23 am »
Its not Khans fault we have the media circus in this country. Why shouldn't he exploit it and make the money while he can. He seems a level headed lad and ambitious and he is going to be a great fighter. The british press are renowned for building up youngsters and knocking them down

Gazza - no more needs to be said
Michael Owen - gambling - the one thing they could get him on
Wayne Rooney - Prozzies

There are tons more, we are c*nts as a nation for doing it aswell.

Offline Cusamano

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Natural Police
« Reply #64 on: September 6, 2005, 01:03:14 pm »
Thats all it will be mate, Khan wont fight anyone serious for a long time  yet. They'll just build up his record with a few journeymen so he can learn, he is still a boy like. But its going to be harder for him as everyone he faces will be wanting to make a name for themselves by knocking him out. Many people who know more about Khan than me tell me he cant really take a solid shot to the chin so we'll see

Ah well, hopefully the fight will last more then 90 seconds this time  :D

Its not Khans fault we have the media circus in this country. Why shouldn't he exploit it and make the money while he can. He seems a level headed lad and ambitious and he is going to be a great fighter. The british press are renowned for building up youngsters and knocking them down

Gazza - no more needs to be said
Michael Owen - gambling - the one thing they could get him on
Wayne Rooney - Prozzies

There are tons more, we are c*nts as a nation for doing it aswell.

Couldn't agree more. Khan gets too much exposure, but its not really his fault is it?

In an ideal world the media would forget about him for another 2 years.
Wake up, will ya pal? If you're not inside, you're outside, OK? And I'm not talking a $400,000 a year working Wall Street stiff flying first class and being comfortable, I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. Fifty, a hundred million dollars buddy. A player. - Gordon Gekko

Offline 50 Pence

• Thanks to a slightly better exchange rate, he's a higher value rapper...
  • Kopite
« Reply #65 on: September 6, 2005, 01:19:54 pm »
Agree it's not Khan's fault there's so much hype, am sure he would like to be left alone to build his career til he actually deserved they hype. Didn't do Oscar De La Hoya too much harm thou it must be said.

As for Calzaghe, if he really wanted to fight the other champions he should vacate the worthless WBO belt and get himself rated by the other federations, once he's a mandatory challenger they can't duck him, and most people are only interested in WBO world championship belts if they wanna be a plastic champion. For me the proper champs hold the WBC, WBA and IBF belts, thats just my opinion thou
I wish I'd be a bit more spontaneous. Sometimes I feel like going out, stealing a traffic cone, putting it on my head and saying, "Look at me, I'm a giant witch."

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: September 6, 2005, 10:26:49 pm »
Agree it's not Khan's fault there's so much hype, am sure he would like to be left alone to build his career til he actually deserved they hype. Didn't do Oscar De La Hoya too much harm thou it must be said.

As for Calzaghe, if he really wanted to fight the other champions he should vacate the worthless WBO belt and get himself rated by the other federations, once he's a mandatory challenger they can't duck him, and most people are only interested in WBO world championship belts if they wanna be a plastic champion. For me the proper champs hold the WBC, WBA and IBF belts, thats just my opinion thou

Spot on that like.

Does anyone know if Roy Jones fight with Tarver is on the tele? I think its this month but im not sure. Think Roy is finished like but you can never tell with him, he was amazing in his prime.

Offline Bronx Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: September 7, 2005, 02:16:41 am »

Does anyone know if Roy Jones fight with Tarver is on the tele? I think its this month but im not sure. Think Roy is finished like but you can never tell with him, he was amazing in his prime.
Well its on HBO here so i'd guess u will have it and i think its the first week in oct. but im sure it will be well advertised.

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: September 7, 2005, 02:20:18 am »
Well its on HBO here so i'd guess u will have it and i think its the first week in oct. but im sure it will be well advertised.

Cheers mate, whats the view in America regarding Roy? Most boxing forums I go on Americans are normally slagging him off, call him Reluctant Roy and all that. Whats your opinion on him? (Assuming your American here like :P)

Offline Bronx Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: September 7, 2005, 02:38:53 am »
He is past his best,allthough his ego ain't,should stick to comentating.

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: September 7, 2005, 06:55:34 am »
He is past his best,allthough his ego ain't,should stick to comentating.

I think Roys ego will always be there, to be fair though If i could do things like this....

Id have a big ego as well ;D Look at those uppercuts, savage! Couldnt find the one when he had his hands behind his back tho!

« Last Edit: September 7, 2005, 07:05:25 am by Mirra »

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: September 8, 2005, 12:35:01 am »
Dont think the Jones fight is on Sky, bastards! Think Castillo and Corrales rematch is on tho and that isnt far away!

Offline Bronx Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: September 8, 2005, 02:31:03 am »
Nice clips  :)  he was the best pound for pound,but............................................. well you know the rest his latter bouts weren't as aspiring.Don't get me wrong he will be remembered as an all time great,he just anit the love child no more that goes to pretty boy floyd  8) so kool.BY the way this weekend the big double header ,looken for4ward to that get the guys over and the beers in.Two big fighters on the one package does it get any better.

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: September 8, 2005, 02:47:47 am »
Is that Morales and Pac Man your talking about mate? Cant wait to see a rematch beetween those two! Morales is a legend, hes hard as fuck. Seems he just loves to do things the hard way doesnt it? ;D I dont know if we will get that over here like.

Aye Roy was one of the best but he got hammered the last two fights, Hope he can beat  Tarver though but I cant see it. Your right about Pretty Boy Floyd as well, probally one,if not the best fighter ive ever seen. The way he destroyed Gatti was awesome.

Offline 50 Pence

• Kopite
« Reply #74 on: September 8, 2005, 10:19:28 am »
Aye Roy was one of the best but he got hammered the last two fights, Hope he can beat  Tarver though but I cant see it. Your right about Pretty Boy Floyd as well, probally one,if not the best fighter ive ever seen. The way he destroyed Gatti was awesome.

Was in shock the first time Roy got hammered, always regarded him as the most gifted fighter of this generation, amazing power and hand speed.

Think part of the problem is he secured his place in history by becoming Heavyweight Champ (although Ruiz is a pretty poor excuse for a heavy weight champ) and got so used to fighting hand picked knock overs that when faced with an actual world class challenger he just wasn't properly prepared, wasn't used to the challenge.  I think if he prepares for this fight properly then can see him winning, but it's not gonna be as easy as he used to find it.

Was impressed with Floyd as well, first time that I saw him, and although he did destroy Gatti he did have a target just standing there in front of him. First time i've seen Gatti as well, heard a lot about him but wasn't impressed. He looked like he thought he was Rocky and could fight with his face and somehow come through in the end.

Don't think the Morales fight is on over here, although Sky are showing one of Hatton's rivals, Cotto, and also showing the Corrales v Castillo Lighweight title fight.
I wish I'd be a bit more spontaneous. Sometimes I feel like going out, stealing a traffic cone, putting it on my head and saying, "Look at me, I'm a giant witch."

Offline Bronx Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: September 8, 2005, 01:49:07 pm »
Is that Morales and Pac Man your talking about mate? Cant wait to see a rematch beetween those two! Morales is a legend, hes hard as fuck. Seems he just loves to do things the hard way doesnt it? ;D I dont know if we will get that over here like.

Yep  should be a good night off boxing,hopefully sky will bring them to yous even if it is late,and yes im looken forward to a rematch their as well.Them two guys really put faith back in boxing,by staken their reps on a non title fight just for the sake off wanting to box.

Offline Jibby

• Main Stander
« Reply #76 on: September 8, 2005, 02:27:02 pm »
Guys I realise this is a massive long shot but does anyone have or know how to get a copy of the Castillo vs Corrales fight? One of the best fights I have ever seen and would love to be able to have a copy of it on my computer
"I love scotch. Scotchy, scotch, scotch. Here it goes down, down into my belly..."

"That was one crazy party. I am hung over."

"What? You pooped in the refrigerator? And you ate the whole... wheel of cheese? How'd you do that? Heck, I'm not even mad; that's amazing! How 'bout we get you in your p.j."

Offline 50 Pence

• Kopite
« Reply #77 on: September 8, 2005, 04:27:53 pm »
Guys I realise this is a massive long shot but does anyone have or know how to get a copy of the Castillo vs Corrales fight? One of the best fights I have ever seen and would love to be able to have a copy of it on my computer

Is a long shot but only thing I can think of is looking for it on the various Bit Torrent sites that are out there.

Online nozza

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: September 8, 2005, 04:37:49 pm »

go to www.sho.com , they have clips of the certain rounds from the first fight and  the trailer for #2.

Offline Jibby

• Main Stander
« Reply #79 on: September 8, 2005, 04:41:04 pm »
go to www.sho.com , they have clips of the certain rounds from the first fight and  the trailer for #2.

Doesn't seem to let me on that site as I'm not from the US. Had a look on bit torrent sites but no luck so far. Thanks for the help anyway lads
"I love scotch. Scotchy, scotch, scotch. Here it goes down, down into my belly..."

"That was one crazy party. I am hung over."

"What? You pooped in the refrigerator? And you ate the whole... wheel of cheese? How'd you do that? Heck, I'm not even mad; that's amazing! How 'bout we get you in your p.j."