Author Topic: Premier League Hall of Fame  (Read 3891 times)

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
Re: Premier League Hall of Fame
« Reply #40 on: February 29, 2020, 11:38:31 am »
Yeah, hated him with a passion but you’re probably right. In the early premier league days, our best players were all English (God, Macca, Redknapp), as were Newcastle’s (Beardo, Cole, Big Les). There were other good overseas floating about; Ginola, Klinsmann to name a couple but until Pires, Henry, Bergkamp and ultimately Wenger rocked up, home grown talent was definitely prominent in that era.

Whenever I think of Eric Cantona, the first thing that springs to my mind is the 96 FA Cup Final so am with you on that one.

Ginola & Klinsmann were good in spells. Juninho came over and was great in 96/97 which is when Zola joined Chelsea from Parma. Bergkamp had demonstrated his talent at Ajax and on the international stage before joining Arsenal, we was also well aware of Henry from his time at Monaco. Robert Pires was a magnificent footballer.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #41 on: February 29, 2020, 12:28:56 pm »
I made a Top 50 with no current players. Quality & Longevity in the PL both with equal importance.

Ryan Giggs
Thierry Henry
Steven Gerrard
Alan Shearer
Patrick Vieira
Dennis Bergkamp
John Terry
Roy Keane
Peter Schmeichel
Frank Lampard
Michael Owen
Eric Cantona
Rio Ferdinand
Paul Scholes
Ashley Cole
David Beckham
Petr Cech
Robert Pires
Ruud Van Nistelrooy
Cesc Fabregas
Tony Adams
Didier Drogba
Vincent Kompany
Edwin Van der Sar
Yaya Toure
Robin van Persie
Michael Essien
Nemanja Vidic
Matt Le Tissier
Sol Campbell
Gianfranco Zola
Sami Hyypia
David Seaman
Claude Makelele
Robbie Fowler
Gary Neville
Fernando Torres
Ian Wright
Xabi Alonso
Andy Cole
Marcel Desailly
Jamie Carragher
Teddy Sheringham
Denis Irwin
Peter Beardsley
Steve McManaman
Dimitar Berbatov
Ricardo Carvalho
David Ginola
Les Ferdinand

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #42 on: March 1, 2020, 03:24:19 am »
It's an awful idea. Football in England started in the 19th century and the heritage should be recognised in its full context.

Opening it to public vote is also just terrible. Look how every single twitter poll is hijacked.

We don't need this American import to make our national football heritage mean something.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Online The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #43 on: March 1, 2020, 06:03:30 am »
Ismaila Sarr , id retire his shirt too, but I don’t know his shirt number , don’t even know if I got his name right. In fact I’d never heard of him before and maybe never will again.

I’m sure this event will be live on sky, they need to fill up these screens with something. T20 women’s World Cup, the netball tri series and top football matches from the Northern Ireland league can only go so far.

Can’t wait for the All stars game . British vs foreign players, or another chance for brexiteers to show the world how much they love their country, according to a couple of sky affiliated newspapers.

Online The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: March 1, 2020, 06:19:23 am »
I made a Top 50 with no current players. Quality & Longevity in the PL both with equal importance.

Ryan Giggs
Thierry Henry
Steven Gerrard
Alan Shearer
Patrick Vieira
Dennis Bergkamp
John Terry
Roy Keane
Peter Schmeichel
Frank Lampard
Michael Owen
Eric Cantona
Rio Ferdinand
Paul Scholes
Ashley Cole
David Beckham
Petr Cech
Robert Pires
Ruud Van Nistelrooy
Cesc Fabregas
Tony Adams
Didier Drogba
Vincent Kompany
Edwin Van der Sar
Yaya Toure
Robin van Persie
Michael Essien
Nemanja Vidic
Matt Le Tissier
Sol Campbell
Gianfranco Zola
Sami Hyypia
David Seaman
Claude Makelele
Robbie Fowler
Gary Neville
Fernando Torres
Ian Wright
Xabi Alonso
Andy Cole
Marcel Desailly
Jamie Carragher
Teddy Sheringham
Denis Irwin
Peter Beardsley
Steve McManaman
Dimitar Berbatov
Ricardo Carvalho
David Ginola
Les Ferdinand

Good list, was trying to add to it and the only names that came up were Dwight Yorke , Solskjaer, Freddie Ljungberg and Nicolas Anelka (not sure if he’s retired). Also highly rate di canio’s ,  overmars and jaap stam’s contribution to the league.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: March 1, 2020, 09:30:08 am »
Sounds very "American" this. How long before an "all stars" type game?

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: March 1, 2020, 12:31:17 pm »
First two will be Giggs and Shearer I reckon.

Me too...

Not that I agree with it but it should be those 2
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Offline Boaty McBoatface

• Custom Title McCustomtitleface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2021, 07:41:38 pm »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56884994

Alan Shearer & Thierry Henry inducted into Premier League Hall of Fame

Former England striker Alan Shearer and ex-France forward Thierry Henry have become the first players to be inducted into the Premier League Hall of Fame.

Shearer is the Premier League's record scorer, with 260 goals for Blackburn Rovers - with whom he won the title in 1995 - and Newcastle United.

Henry scored a club record 175 Premier League goals in 258 appearances for Arsenal.

A 23-man shortlist for six more inductees has also been announced.

They will be decided by a fans' vote, which closes on 9 May at 18:00 BST. In order to be eligible for induction in 2021, players must have been retired by 1 August, 2020.

Shearer was the first player to reach 100 Premier League goals. He scored 112 in 138 league matches for Blackburn, and 148 in 303 for Newcastle.

"When you look at some of the unbelievable players to have graced the Premier League - week in, week out, year in, year out - I feel very honoured to join the Hall of Fame," said 50-year-old Shearer, who moved from Southampton to Blackburn before the Premier League era began in 1992-93.

"I have to thank all of my team-mates, as well as the managers and coaches that I've worked with.

"All I ever wanted to be was a professional footballer. It was my dream to do that, my dream to win trophies and my dream to score at St James' Park, to wear the number nine black-and-white shirt and it was fantastic. I enjoyed every minute of it."

Henry was the league's top scorer in a season a record four times, won the title twice and was part of the Arsenal side that went unbeaten in the league in the 2003-04 season.

Henry also provided 74 assists during eight Premier League seasons, including a joint-record 20 in 2002-03.

"To be inducted alongside Alan Shearer as the two first inductees into the Premier League Hall of Fame is more than special," said 43-year-old Henry.

"When I was young, I was just trying to make sure I could get a pair of boots and now we're talking about the Hall of Fame.

"During my career I wanted to play hard and make sure I was fighting for the cause, because that's all the fans want to see."

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2021, 08:01:32 pm »
Deegan and Krompkamp, surely.
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2021, 09:53:41 pm »

Gerrard, Vieira, Lampard, Bergkamp, Beckham, Schmeichel.

My guesses.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2021, 11:51:07 pm »
they got first two right, shearer for his goals and henry (best player in prem era imo), good calls

just realised they're gonna do a bunch by fan vote.... meh, that's not the way to go, in theory you could get an utter dog out of that with fan bias kicking in
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 11:54:43 am by Armand9 »
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2021, 05:52:37 pm »
Load of pretentious "football only started in 1992" bullshit.

Is the right answer.

Back in the day the only thing that mattered was the Rothmans Yearbook. We'll be calling man of the match "MVP" and having all-star games next.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 05:55:51 pm by Alan_X »
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.