Author Topic: Champions League  (Read 115459 times)

Offline vicar

• Legacy Fan
  • Free at last!
Re: Champions League
« Reply #2360 on: May 6, 2021, 09:05:03 am »
I think i have watched every European Cup Final/Champions league final since the mid 70s, even the Moscow dross-show and that all italian borefest in the early 2000's (on a portable TV in the back of kebab shop if I remember rightly!).

But I find myself with absolutely no interest in this one, trying to be rational about it, but it Just feels inevitable that City have finally purchased the title they have secretly coveted.
They have an excellent coach and a lot of talented players, but there is almost no jeopardy, if one £60m player is off form, not doing whats required, here is another....

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2361 on: May 6, 2021, 09:25:46 am »
That still confirmed? Turkey had another spike recently, didn’t they?
Well, our government is not one of the responsible ones. They're probably pissed they couldn't get 100.000 fans. That being said there is a full lockdown in Turkey except grocery stores in certain hours for basic needs. Even the liqor stores are all closed but i suppose they will moderate the case and death numbers periodically as they want tourists for the summer season.

Offline Scottish-Don

• Maggie May, Kez, Kopbird, LFCMunkee and gerrardspetal in any order
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'Cause he's a dedicated follower of fashion
« Reply #2362 on: May 6, 2021, 09:28:02 am »
Officially 4000 each

Turkey is in full lockdown, game may get moved.
Follow me on Twitter - @achtung_davie

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2363 on: May 6, 2021, 09:33:33 am »
That's nothing. Dion Dublin said Phil Foden is the closest thing he's seen to Diego Maradona.

haha he did not did he ?  As mad as this sounds, Dion Dublin should stick to knocking down walls and renovating conservatories. I just don't watch any of the before or after show stuff now. They over hype and under criticise the English tubes to a level that makes me sick.  Kane, Vardy, Grealish. Good smart lads who draw fouls and use their brain. Salah, Mane. Cheating foreigners who are ruining the game. Foden, Mount, Grealish. Best players in the world. Salah doesn't score in 2 games and he's finished.
Foden does look good to be fair, but he has a long long way to go. I'm still not convinced on Mount, I think he's in the form of his life and in a year or 2 from now he'll be just a good player and nothing more.

Offline diggerling!

• believes we’re doomed to be back with the also-rans
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #2364 on: May 6, 2021, 09:36:13 am »
That's nothing. Dion Dublin said Phil Foden is the closest thing he's seen to Diego Maradona.
It was Brian Deane that said that. Dublin is actually one of the better pundits.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2365 on: May 6, 2021, 09:36:33 am »
Turkey is in full lockdown, game may get moved.
until May 17th though

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2366 on: May 6, 2021, 09:38:47 am »
our only hope is UEFA cancelling the final as these two have joined the Super League weeks ago.
amd give it to Ludogorets.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2367 on: May 6, 2021, 09:41:19 am »
It was Brian Deane that said that. Dublin is actually one of the better pundits.
Damn, if Foden is closest thing to Maradona, then I'm closest thing to Scarlett Johansson.

Offline Wullie160975

• Oor Wullie! Your Wullie! A'body's Wullie!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2368 on: May 6, 2021, 09:41:53 am »
To be fair this lad is very good and I think people on here would be salivating in the unlikely event of him joining us.

There's a difference between very good and Haaland/Mbappe though. No doubt if he continues on his current trajectory he might get there but to make the statement now is absurd.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #2369 on: May 6, 2021, 09:47:20 am »
Probably yeah. It's hard not to dislike any of them, but seeing Sterling, Bernardo Silva, Fernandinho and Guardiola lose their shit would be the more entertaining I reckon. Plus the fans could go back to booing the CL anthem and convinced Uefa have it in for them

They'll definitely think it's fixed by UEFA to get them back for the overturned ban if they lose.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #2370 on: May 6, 2021, 10:09:24 am »
@James_Dart
Sure that post-match Hazard image won’t be a big deal in Madr ... ah

https://twitter.com/James_Dart/status/1390183225692147712?s=20

It's that bonkers show that Perez went on last week. Spain's version of Gary Lineker isn't pleased with Hazard. The music is great and would improve MOTD coverage 5000% if they used it.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #2371 on: May 6, 2021, 10:16:23 am »
Hazard never did anything in the CL even for Chelsea, or much for Belgium on the big stage.

One of them players who had some great seasons in the PL but that was it. A wasted talent because he had tremendous ability. Always seemed to be lacking something mentality wise.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2372 on: May 6, 2021, 10:26:19 am »
If city win i don't really care that much. But if they lose will be hilarious.

Just wish it wasn't chelsea in there with them.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Online cissesbeard

• Kopite
« Reply #2373 on: May 6, 2021, 10:35:15 am »
Hazard never did anything in the CL even for Chelsea, or much for Belgium on the big stage.

One of them players who had some great seasons in the PL but that was it. A wasted talent because he had tremendous ability. Always seemed to be lacking something mentality wise.

i get the feeling that hes just not that arsed.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #2374 on: May 6, 2021, 10:42:11 am »
They should make a Bale-type flag for him
Belgium - Burgers - Chelsea
       in that order
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Online cissesbeard

• Kopite
« Reply #2375 on: May 6, 2021, 10:44:45 am »
They should make a Bale-type flag for him
Belgium - Burgers - Chelsea
       in that order

:lmao

Offline Phineus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2376 on: May 6, 2021, 10:49:38 am »
I made peace with Chelsea buying trophies years ago, city is still a tad raw and seeing them lose on big stage would just be immensely funny. Probably because we did them out of a few finals under Rafa it was easier to accept when their money laundering finally got big ears (and that it was Di Matteo weirdly enough).

I also don’t mind Tuchel, so that’s what I’m hoping happens.

I’m expecting a really dull, tactical game though ... probably 0-0 and goes to pens. Will be a fitting end to this season - 2 oil clubs with the most expensive squads playing boring football in an empty stadium in the biggest club game in world football which no one will care about or remember. Utterly hollow.

« Last Edit: May 6, 2021, 11:11:28 am by Phineus »

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #2377 on: May 6, 2021, 10:56:10 am »
Not arsed who wins it....but fuckin made up whoever loses it, not sure that even even makes sense, but nothing makes sense this season!
As for watching it, my simple rule is if I don't us (which I haven't all season) I don't watch anybody.

A total non event this Final....very apt, it's what both clubs deserve.
« Last Edit: May 6, 2021, 11:05:41 am by mikeb58 »
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2378 on: May 6, 2021, 10:57:23 am »

Ironic, with the size of his.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #2379 on: May 6, 2021, 10:58:37 am »
I made peace with Chelsea buying trophies years ago, city is still a tad raw and seeing them lose on big stage would just be immensely funny. Probably because we did them out of a few finals under Rafa it was easier to accept when their money laundering finally got big ears (and that it was Di Matteo and they weirdly enough).

I also don’t mind Tuchel, so that’s what I’m hoping happens.

I’m expecting a really dull, tactical game though ... probably 0-0 and goes to pens. Will be a fitting end to this season - 2 oil clubs with the most expensive squads playing boring football in an empty stadium in the biggest club game in world football which no one will care about or remember. Utterly hollow.

With any luck the final will be disrupted by fans invading the stadium, nicking the corner flags and spitting on the match balls to demonstrate their contempt for their owners......oh wait.

Offline kasperoff

• Legacy Fan
  • What happened to Sabu?
« Reply #2380 on: May 6, 2021, 11:08:37 am »
Think I'll give this one a miss. I won't support the way these clubs are run.
I think the same, can't stand him, but if you could have a £1million pound cheque or steve bruces head hollowed out and filled with pound coins which would you have?

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2381 on: May 6, 2021, 11:19:42 am »
Chelsea winning the CL and Leicester winning the FA Cup would be a bit hilarious

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #2382 on: May 6, 2021, 11:30:49 am »
I do know one Chelsea fan, and I love him....he's my older brother! We where born and raised in Liverpool in the late 50's and after the 65 Cup Final we both became Reds. I was an ardent fan even at that age, my brother a bit less so.

By the late 60's he weirdly took an interest in Chelsea, he loved the kit mainly I think, it was impossible to buy replica strips in those days so he had my mum sew on white stripes and and a number down the side of a pair or regular blue footy shorts. Along with a blue footy shirt and all white socks it was a decent effort of the full early 70's Chelsea kit.

It grew from there, he loved the Chelsea fashionable Kings Road image tag  too, he still went to watch us play now and again, we went to the 74 Wembley Final together.

He supported Chelsea all through the times they where shite, and I think he hated it when they played us, cos of our past. He eventually moved to London, but is never a regular match goer, he's like me now, he knows money has ruined the game and always tells me it was better laugh in The Shed when they where in Div 2.

He's a good lad my brother, he was our Post Office Union Rep, always calling for walk outs and strikes (but only on nice sunny days I noticed!)

I had the nickname Sam in the Post Office, after the Sam Bartram the famous goalie (same surname) I hated it, when my brother joined it thankfully got transferred to him, and it stuck. To this day people think it's his real name!

So there are a few decent Chelsea fans about and if they do win it, I can't begrudge me big brother his moment!

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
  • It's a blessing to be a Red :)
« Reply #2383 on: May 6, 2021, 11:41:59 am »
I do know one Chelsea fan, and I love him....he's my older brother! We where born and raised in Liverpool in the late 50's and after the 65 Cup Final we both became Reds. I was an ardent fan even at that age, my brother a bit less so.

By the late 60's he weirdly took an interest in Chelsea, he loved the kit mainly I think, it was impossible to buy replica strips in those days so he had my mum sew on white stripes and and a number down the side of a pair or regular blue footy shorts. Along with a blue footy shirt and all white socks it was a decent effort of the full early 70's Chelsea kit.

It grew from there, he loved the Chelsea fashionable Kings Road image tag  too, he still went to watch us play now and again, we went to the 74 Wembley Final together.

He supported Chelsea all through the times they where shite, and I think he hated it when they played us, cos of our past. He eventually moved to London, but is never a regular match goer, he's like me now, he knows money has ruined the game and always tells me it was better laugh in The Shed when they where in Div 2.

He's a good lad my brother, he was our Post Office Union Rep, always calling for walk outs and strikes (but only on nice sunny days I noticed!)

I had the nickname Sam in the Post Office, after the Sam Bartram the famous goalie (same surname) I hated it, when my brother joined it thankfully got transferred to him, and it stuck. To this day people think it's his real name!

So there are a few decent Chelsea fans about and if they do win it, I can't begrudge me big brother his moment!

A Scouse Cockney?

Offline mikeb58

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #2384 on: May 6, 2021, 11:47:02 am »
^^

He's never lost  the scouse accent and they take the piss out of him something rotten in work, but he gives it back and he still loves and defends the City he was born and raised in.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2385 on: May 6, 2021, 11:55:27 am »
@James_Dart
Sure that post-match Hazard image won’t be a big deal in Madr ... ah

https://twitter.com/James_Dart/status/1390183225692147712?s=20

It's that bonkers show that Perez went on last week. Spain's version of Gary Lineker isn't pleased with Hazard. The music is great and would improve MOTD coverage 5000% if they used it.

haha that's amazing. Grease ball there rubbing his hands together, looking like hes about t get tore in then looks genuinely distraught. He looks like Madrid have never ever won the CL and this was their big chance.  The music sets it off too that's a beezer clip

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2386 on: May 6, 2021, 12:31:16 pm »
^^

He's never lost  the scouse accent and they take the piss out of him something rotten in work, but he gives it back and he still loves and defends the City he was born and raised in.
Sounds like a top bloke. Yep, there's good n bad everywhere.

Does he ever mix the scouse with the cockney slang intentionally/unintentionally?
I cannot imagine cockney slang with a scouse accent  ;D

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2387 on: May 6, 2021, 01:03:37 pm »
According to Sky - Villa have offered their ground to stage final. It'd be Wembley if it was here surely or should they go elsewhere?

Offline Jwils21

• Justwindy,innit,lowestspeed21 (knots)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2388 on: May 6, 2021, 01:04:42 pm »
Aside from total nulling 'n' voiding, best we can hope for us probably a 1-0 Chelsea win through an own goal from Ruben "Better than Van Dijk" Dias, with a last minute equaliser from Aguero ruled out because Gabriel Jesus' massive weird eyebrows were offside in the build up.

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2389 on: May 6, 2021, 01:11:39 pm »
Aside from total nulling 'n' voiding, best we can hope for us probably a 1-0 Chelsea win through an own goal from Ruben "Better than Van Dijk" Dias, with a last minute equaliser from Aguero ruled out because Gabriel Jesus' massive weird eyebrows were offside in the build up.
Nah, best we can hope for is something really, really controversial to happen to throw doubt on the final result for decades to come.
Maybe one or more of the following:
A massive brawl between both squads leading to player injuries and forced subs
A plethora of controversial VAR decisions swinging the result this way n that
A pitch invasion
Multiple players testing positive for drugs post-match
One or both of the clubs falling foul of FFP and the match result later declared null and void

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2390 on: May 6, 2021, 01:19:04 pm »
The only way this final doesn't take place is if Galatasaray and Fenerbache fans declare all out war outside the Ataturk.  Knowing those fuckers I give that a 30% chance of happening.

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2391 on: May 6, 2021, 01:24:41 pm »
According to Sky - Villa have offered their ground to stage final. It'd be Wembley if it was here surely or should they go elsewhere?

Wembley is already in use that weekend for the play off finals I believe.

Online Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #2392 on: May 6, 2021, 01:25:12 pm »

Think it's the Championship play off on the same day and that's already scheduled for Wembley
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2393 on: May 6, 2021, 01:34:14 pm »

against each other or against City and Chelsea? ;D

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2394 on: May 6, 2021, 01:35:48 pm »
Well a Fatal 4 Way is the answer.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2395 on: May 6, 2021, 01:36:23 pm »
At least if the final gets moved to Villa Park, the Man City players can visit the trophy room to see what the European Cup actually looks like incase they get beat.

Offline Scottish-Don

• Maggie May, Kez, Kopbird, LFCMunkee and gerrardspetal in any order
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'Cause he's a dedicated follower of fashion
« Reply #2396 on: May 6, 2021, 01:58:51 pm »
At Villa Park, they won it one time
Follow me on Twitter - @achtung_davie

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #2397 on: May 6, 2021, 02:03:32 pm »

Villa park is only graded as a UEFA 4* stadium so can only be eligible to hold the Europa league final (Anfield and Etihad also make this list along with the Stadium of light, and St Marys).

Technically the only UK stadiums capable of holding a champions league final in the eyes of UEFA are Wembley, The Principality, Hapden Park, Ibrox and Old Trafford.   

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #2398 on: May 6, 2021, 02:10:13 pm »
I would have thought Arsenal's stadium is big enough to host the champions league final too?
#Sausages

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #2399 on: May 6, 2021, 02:18:15 pm »
I would have thought Arsenal's stadium is big enough to host the champions league final too?

Usually comes down to capacity, transport links, Hospitality boxes but also little things like media availability, hotels in the vicinity and available toilets.

I know Anfield falls down on pitch size.