Author Topic: Lord of the Rings: Gollum  (Read 686 times)

Offline Fabulous_aurelio

• You will always find him in the kitchen at parties (most likely alone in a corner with a half-empty glass of Tizer keeping his powder dry...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well Red.
Lord of the Rings: Gollum
« on: March 26, 2021, 11:36:00 pm »
First gameplay/teaser reveal below. What are we thinking?

Personally I'm excited to see what they do with Middle Earth in next gen.

I'm well up for this, despite stealth not being my strong point.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-03-25-heres-the-first-gameplay-of-the-lord-of-the-rings-gollum
"Salahs in here......"

Offline Crimson

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Lord of the Rings: Gollum
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2021, 08:10:58 am »
Honestly feels like the least interesting tale from the books and one that the masses already know too well from the films.

Also, visually unimpressive if you ask me, but I'm not sure if it's the art style or just an early version.

Would have loved a proper RPG with all the lore from Tolkien's works. There is so many possibilities here!
I have no idea what I’m taking about

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2021, 11:44:21 am »
I'm with Crimson - this seems one of the least compelling Characters (from a gameplay perspective) to base an entire game around. I'd have a lot of appetite for an Elder-Scrolls rip off set in the Tolkien universe, for sure.

There's been some cracking games attached to the licence in past years, the simple but satisfying hack and slash movie games from near 20 years ago were great as a kid, even if they likely don't hold up now. They were fantastic at the time though. The third age was brilliant, as were the Battle for Middle Earth strategy games. I've never played the Shadow of Mordor games but they have good reputations.

I seem to remember the Tactics game on PSP being pretty fun as well - perhaps shallow but I was about 12 at the time so it seemed fun.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2021, 11:45:43 am »
Yeah genuinely couldn’t care less about David Moyes.

Offline Fabulous_aurelio

• You will always find him in the kitchen at parties (most likely alone in a corner with a half-empty glass of Tizer keeping his powder dry...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well Red.
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2021, 11:50:18 am »
I'm actually quite surprised how little people seem to be intruiged or excited about this.

Completely get the character comments, but surely this could be quite good if it's a genuine stealth game and can be played in a similar vain to MGS. Though I am aware there were guns and other ways around the stealth.

Mainly though, having played a few beautiful open world games recently, I'm so excited to explore what they have created.

Yeah it could be shit, defo going to be keeping an eye on it though.
"Salahs in here......"

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2021, 12:01:04 pm »
Yeah it's a sleeper for me - something to keep an eye on, gauge reactions then potentially pick up cheaply in the future or give a spin if it appears on Game Pass. I'm generally not mad for Stealth Games (Splinter Cell one of the few I can think of enjoying in the past) so won't be anywhere near it at launch.

I like the character from the perspective of his importance in the world and the narrative, but he strikes me as one of the least fun to play with - especially given they had the option of creating a new character (as I believe they did for the Third Age and the Shadow games) or plucking an obscure character out of the lore to use, who's just a bit more 'winning' than Gollum.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez