Author Topic: Starlink setup?  (Read 1037 times)

Offline halfpoundcheesy

• [insert witty comment]
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
Starlink setup?
« on: March 13, 2021, 04:01:59 pm »
Anyone been through this yet?

Starlink (Elon Musk's new sat internet company) is now offering Beta service in the UK. I live in a semi-rural part of the country with rubbish broadband, so signed up ages ago and my dish is now actually arriving next week!
It's expensive per month, but given Openreach quoted me £10K+vat for a fibre install, it's actually a lot cheaper than that option, ;-)

Wondered if anyone here had tried it yet and had any tips to share, or indeed if there's any networking wizards around with thoughts on the best setup...

Our house has a lot of thick stone walls in it (basically part of what was once a farm), and I've currently got a slow BT service coming in, with a SmartHub2 and a load of their black discs providing a wifi mesh around the house.

Am figuring that given Starlink is in beta, I should try and run the cabling in to the same point as the BT router and then buy a bit of load balancing hardware of some kind, that can take inputs from both BT and Starlink, until Starlink is "100%" reliable, and then I'll cancel the BT? If so, any tips on best hardware to get? Can I use the BT mesh discs with new hardware, or do I need a different mesh like the one Google offer?

Thanks for any wisdom!

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan

Offline halfpoundcheesy

• [insert witty comment]
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
Re: Starlink setup?
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2021, 04:30:09 pm »
Been a few threads on Reddit with some good suggestions...

https://www.reddit.com/r/Starlink/comments/l4ua6k/dual_wan_loadbalancing_router_recs/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Starlink/comments/l9czho/what_is_your_failover_setup_for_starlink/

Thanks. The Speedify option is interesting if I can get the signal to the right parts of the building.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2021, 07:08:19 pm »
Thanks. The Speedify option is interesting if I can get the signal to the right parts of the building.

You have a sat dish so I'd expect so
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline halfpoundcheesy

• [insert witty comment]
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2021, 04:48:45 pm »
You have a sat dish so I'd expect so

Well, I mean more broadcasting the signal to other parts of the house from the entry point - but from plowing through Reddit I think you can jam a mesh network into it despite the FAQ saying it doesn't work.