Poll

Obviously the Brexit effects are only just showing and it's going to get a lot, lot worse.. but for now..

.. Brexit is going great. Sunlit fucking plateaus full of fucking wonder
.. Brexit is just taking time, it'll be reet
Moo!
.. Brexit is pretty bad, but maybe will get better
.. Brexit is terrible
.. Rees Mogg and all the Brexiters should be hung off a lamp-post.
.. Rees Mogg and all the Brexiters should be hung off a lamp-post AND I like cheese

Author Topic: Brexit. the Con continues  (Read 527750 times)

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
Re: Brexit. the Con continues
« Reply #80 on: August 30, 2020, 12:30:32 am »
Was watching a pretty crap collection of British comedy ‘greats’ on TV earlier (there were a few true greats like Tommy Cooper and Spike).

The material was old mostly and politically irrelevant. Except for the extremely astute and, unfortunately prescient Al Murray as the pub landlord. I thought back then, and was reminded again, that his piss take of the worst attitudes exemplified by the character, we’re actually lost on much of the audience - they were applauding themselves.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #81 on: August 30, 2020, 09:26:33 am »
Was watching a pretty crap collection of British comedy ‘greats’ on TV earlier (there were a few true greats like Tommy Cooper and Spike).

The material was old mostly and politically irrelevant. Except for the extremely astute and, unfortunately prescient Al Murray as the pub landlord. I thought back then, and was reminded again, that his piss take of the worst attitudes exemplified by the character, we’re actually lost on much of the audience - they were applauding themselves.
If Al Murrey (in character) started up a new political party, he'd probably win.
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: August 30, 2020, 09:39:29 am »
If Al Murrey (in character) started up a new political party, he'd probably win.

He basically did this in 2015 and got 318 votes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Murray#Parliamentary_candidacy

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: August 30, 2020, 10:00:00 am »
He basically did this in 2015 and got 318 votes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Murray#Parliamentary_candidacy
I did not know that!

The UK (I mean, the English) weren't ready for him. His time is now! :D

I never found Al Murrey that funny. Probably because he was too on the money. Less parody - more of an accurate impression of your average man-in-the-street Englishman. Though, I did/do appreciate what he was/is trying to do.

There is very little satire which is genuinely funny. Rory Bremner being a prime example. A very decent man, very intelligent, and sharp. But, as comedy, it never really worked for me.
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: August 30, 2020, 12:53:38 pm »

This was comedy 25yrs ago.it would receive a standing ovation by many today.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCHDBaHdSEI
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #85 on: August 30, 2020, 01:06:42 pm »
This was comedy 25yrs ago.it would receive a standing ovation by many today.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCHDBaHdSEI

That show was on the money then, and is on the money now.

Meant to be a parody, but is a more like a documentary on the likes of Cameron, Gove, assorted wives, and Grayling.

Whenever that awful woman Sarah Vine pops up on radar I’m reminded of B’stard’s wife.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #87 on: September 1, 2020, 06:27:43 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/sep/01/no-10-blames-eu-and-plays-down-prospects-of-brexit-trade-deal

No 10 blames EU and plays down prospects of Brexit trade deal

Spokesman for Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson says hopes of meeting deadline in December are dwindling

Downing Street has played down the prospect of reaching a trade deal with the EU in time for December, saying it will be “very difficult” – and blaming Brussels’ insistence on tackling tough issues upfront.

The UK’s chief negotiator, David Frost, is meeting his EU counterpart Michel Barnier in London, in advance of the next round of formal talks next week.

But with the clock ticking to 31 December, when the status quo transition is due to end, Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson’s official spokesman conceded that hopes of a deal were dwindling.

“The EU continues to insist that we must agree on difficult areas in the negotiations, such as EU state aid, before any further work can be done in any other area of the negotiations, including on legal texts, and that makes it very difficult to make progress,” the spokesman said.

“We would instead like to settle the simplest issues first, in order to build momentum in the talks, as time is short for both sides.”

The EU has consistently said it wants to see the contentious issues of fisheries policy and state aid settled up front.

EU officials are exasperated however by the briefings about negotiations in London, pointing out that the UK has not yet tabled its own proposals for state aid.

“How can we negotiate this when we don’t even know what state aid in the UK will look like next year,” said a source.

Insiders say the UK is trying to “cherry pick” and claiming it would be happy with a “bare bones” deal, while making sizeable asks across the 11 sections of the negotiations which, when put together, amount to a deal of substance.

Johnson’s government is reluctant to cede any control over state aid policy, boasting during last year’s election campaign that one benefit of Brexit would be that the government could intervene more readily to help struggling UK businesses.

The prime minister’s spokesman underlined that message on Tuesday, saying: “We’ll set out further detail of our domestic regime in due course. After the transition period, the UK will have its own regime of subsidy control, and will not be subject to the EU’s state aid regime. We have been very clear about that throughout.”

He added: “The UK’s future subsidy arrangements are a matter for the British people and parliament, not the European Union.”

Brussels regards state aid constraints as a key aspect of ensuring a level playing field, so that UK businesses cannot unfairly undercut their EU counterparts.

With an EU council expected to be held in October to finalise any free trade agreement, time is running short.

During last year’s fraught negotiations over the EU withdrawal agreement formalising the UK’s exit terms, Johnson made significant last-minute concessions – effectively allowing a border in the Irish Sea – to get his “oven-ready” deal done.

But he is under pressure from Brexit-backing Conservative MPs not to make fresh compromises now – and even to repudiate some aspects of the withdrawal agreement.

One potential solution to the negotiating impasse that has previously been mooted is a series of separate deals on different issues – financial services, fisheries and so on.

But a senior UK official close to talks has previously revealed that the EU is not keen on a “Switzerland-style suite of agreements”, in reference to the 100-plus bilateral deals the country has with Brussels, as it “would be too complicated to manage for them”.

The EU is also keen to have an overarching deal on governance and dispute resolution.

France’s EU affairs minister, Clément Beaune, said that no deal was a risk, but blamed the British government for the impasse. “Things are not advancing because the UK would like to have its cake and eat it: to leave the European Union and have access to the European market,” he said.

Speaking on French radio, he said the EU would not compromise on linking market access to respect for its rules on health and the environment. The EU has said the UK can only have tariff-free, quota-free access to the European market if it agrees to respect European standards on environment, workers’ rights and state aid for companies.

EU officials dismissed reports Barnier was refusing to discuss British proposals on a future fisheries treaty.

“The UK has not presented new legal texts in the area of fisheries,” a spokesman for Barnier said. “We have been engaging constructively and in good faith. Michel Barnier said at the end of the last round of negotiations that we have shown flexibility by taking note of prime minister Johnson’s three red lines and working on them. We have not seen, however, a reciprocal effort on the UK’s side regarding European priorities. We are now waiting for the UK to present concrete and constructive proposals.”

Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: September 1, 2020, 08:18:22 pm »
Johnson still treating leave voters as mugs. he never had any intention of honouring the deal the country voted for at the last GE in December, no outrage from leave voters for not accepting the will of the people, I doubt if more than 5% even understand how Johnsons mugged them off. they only react when the right wing media stir the s,, otherwise they are in blissful ignorance.

It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #89 on: September 1, 2020, 10:17:52 pm »
:lmao

My wife’s brother is a massive Brexit and UKIP fan.  Never got an education dropped out of everything. Massive chip on his shoulder that his siblings have done really well in life.

So?  He’s told my father in law that he wants to live in Spain within 3 years.  Got very angry when he was told that because of Brexit he couldn’t

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Shankly998

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: September 1, 2020, 10:34:37 pm »

My wife’s brother is a massive Brexit and UKIP fan.  Never got an education dropped out of everything. Massive chip on his shoulder that his siblings have done really well in life.

So?  He’s told my father in law that he wants to live in Spain within 3 years.  Got very angry when he was told that because of Brexit he couldn’t

Oh to to have your dreams of being an immigrant who'd never learn the language and wouldn't integrate thwarted because of your own crass stupidity, delicious.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: September 1, 2020, 11:30:17 pm »

Sympathies. I have a Trumper for a BIL. Apparently, he hates Biden. How is that even possible?

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: September 2, 2020, 03:42:26 am »
Oh to to have your dreams of being an immigrant who'd never learn the language and wouldn't integrate thwarted because of your own crass stupidity, delicious.
I work with a man in his 60s, lovely guy, goes to Spain every year on holiday, he mentioned he was going to a place I'd been in Spain (terrible I hated every minute of it), when I told him this he asked if there were plenty of places to get roast dinners, fry ups etc, I said there was, I asked him if he went in for any Spanish food, "I wouldn't eat that crap", which always leads me to think why don't people like this that go on holidays that aren't open to the culture/cuisine of that country instead just go to a seaside resort somewhere in the UK or Ireland instead?

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: September 2, 2020, 08:58:04 am »
I work with a man in his 60s, lovely guy, goes to Spain every year on holiday, he mentioned he was going to a place I'd been in Spain (terrible I hated every minute of it), when I told him this he asked if there were plenty of places to get roast dinners, fry ups etc, I said there was, I asked him if he went in for any Spanish food, "I wouldn't eat that crap", which always leads me to think why don't people like this that go on holidays that aren't open to the culture/cuisine of that country instead just go to a seaside resort somewhere in the UK or Ireland instead?
These would also be the same people who say they don't like foreigners because they want to follow their culture and not ours.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #94 on: September 2, 2020, 10:01:57 am »

Because they want guaranteed weather. The UK with heat essentially

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #95 on: September 2, 2020, 10:09:15 am »

And the opportunity to whinge and whine with other British wankers who usually come from the same area in the UK as themselves.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: September 2, 2020, 10:20:53 am »

Me and the missus have talked about getting a place in Spain in a few years, but my stipulation is nowhere were the fucking English live.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: September 2, 2020, 10:23:11 am »
Rumours are the UKs first trade deal is to take the former colonies ultra-conservative PM Tony 'budgie smuggler' Abbott to handle your trade deals.

Fantastic deal for Australia. This is the same guy who decided that Prince Philip be awarded a Knight of the Order of Australia.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #98 on: September 2, 2020, 10:24:36 am »

Got to get their tan!
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #99 on: September 3, 2020, 09:10:15 am »
I maintain that we are living in a world where Black Mirror and Thick of It is now canon 

https://twitter.com/KayBurley/status/1301406437458038784
« Last Edit: September 3, 2020, 09:13:52 am by gazzalfc »

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: September 3, 2020, 10:40:24 am »
I maintain that we are living in a world where Black Mirror and Thick of It is now canon 

https://twitter.com/KayBurley/status/1301406437458038784

Hitler was an expert in public transport.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline HarryLabrador

• went broke, so had to get the retrievers in.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: September 3, 2020, 11:14:13 am »
Rumours are the UKs first trade deal is to take the former colonies ultra-conservative PM Tony 'budgie smuggler' Abbott to handle your trade deals.

Fantastic deal for Australia. This is the same guy who decided that Prince Philip be awarded a Knight of the Order of Australia.

A classic selection by Cummings.
SoS Membership Number: 387

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: September 3, 2020, 01:28:42 pm »
We've known about these problems for years, we were told the government expects to get a good deal to solve these problems. fobbed off, they kicked the can down the road, panic is now setting in.
10.000 Trucks pass through Dover every day, each one will now take a minimum of 30secs to clear customs. the maths tell us what's going to happen. 10.000 30 secs= 5000minute.
or 83 hours, that means a truck will take 3.5 days to reach customs.
That's assuming the trucks have the correct paperwork,  that is not going to happen which will result in even longer delays, this is extremely complex new system, many of the trucks will not be allowed to enter the EU until the they have filled in the right paper work. that will mean someone in a office has to get all the information needed to fill in the forms.  imagine weekends when most offices shut down for the weekend?
They argued lets leave the EU to cut down on EU bureaucracy. did people really believe this bull... :duh

U.K. Races to Fix ‘Critical Gaps’ in Brexit Border Plan

Leaked government memo spells out fears of border chaos
    Hauliers voice concern key IT system won’t be ready in time

Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson’s officials are urgently working to avert a major border crisis when the U.K. leaves the European Union’s trade regime, amid warnings vital government IT systems may not be ready in time.

According to a leaked document, ministers are asking hauliers and other industry groups for help to avoid chaos at the border when the Brexit transition period expires at the end of the year.
But with just four months to go, the government’s preparations still have “critical gaps” while some parts of blueprint are “unmanageable,” the document said.

The warnings are contained in a government official’s note of a meeting with representatives of the logistics industry, who set out their grave concerns over the dangers ahead
The memo, circulated by the Cabinet Office’s Border and Protocol Delivery Group, lists 13 key risks to be flagged to ministers, including a lack of contingency planning in case things go wrong, and inadequate time to prepare. High on the list of concerns were the proliferation of new IT systems and the fact some of these are still being developed with just four months until they’re needed.

‘Unmanageable’
“There are up to 10 new systems that haulage firms and freight forwarders will have to navigate from Jan. 1, including at least three being designed now,” the memo said. “This is completely unnecessary and unmanageable with duplication and overlap.”

In a sign that Fuckwitted Pob lookalike Fuckwitted Pob lookalike Michael Gove, the minister responsible for the U.K.’s Brexit preparations, is growing increasingly worried about the threat of border disruption, his team is setting up meetings with logistics experts to address the issues raised by the industry
On Wednesday, the Road Haulage Association and other logistics lobby groups wrote to Gove seeking an urgent round-table not just with him, but with Chancellor of the Exchequer Rishi Sunak and Transport Secretary Grant Shapps to press their concerns.

“We have visibility of the current state of preparedness which as it stands has significant gaps,” the trade groups wrote. “If these issues are not addressed, disruption to U.K. business and the supply chain that we all rely so heavily on will be severely disrupted.”
A U.K official acknowledged there are problems raised by the industry that need to be solved. In a statement, the Cabinet Office said it has worked closely with the the sector to develop its plans and will continue to do so. The government also said it is spending more on infrastructure and training intermediaries needed to handle the hundreds of millions of extra customs declarations that are expected to be required each year.
The risk of border trade disruption threatens to become a winter crisis for the prime minister, as he tries to negotiate a new trade accord with the EU. Whether or not the U.K. manages to strike a free-trade agreement with the bloc, from Jan. 1 it will have to apply customs controls on goods moving to the EU, which accounts for about half of all Britain’s imports and exports. With the government ruling out any delay to the U.K.’s departure from the bloc, the pressure to find a solution is building.

10,000 Trucks

As many as 10,000 trucks a day pass through ports such as Dover, delivering goods ranging from fresh food to medicines and automotive parts. About four-fifths of the food U.K. supermarkets import comes from the EU, according to the British Retail Consortium.
Delays in processing the paperwork needed after Brexit could throw those supply chains into chaos, threatening traffic jams at ports and heaping more economic damage on a country still reeling from the coronavirus.

“The fact that the whole system, the whole flow of our trade through the border, is based on the functioning of some IT systems that are yet to be built is a huge risk,” said Shane Brennan, chief executive officer of the Cold Chain Federation, which represents specialists in moving frozen and chilled goods. “My biggest worry is that there isn’t a proper awareness out there in the industry about how precarious things are
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-09-03/u-k-races-to-fix-critical-gaps-exposed-in-brexit-border-plan?srnd=premium-europe&sref=nmsCT4DV
« Last Edit: September 3, 2020, 01:35:39 pm by oldfordie »
               Emily Maitlis

Online Crumble

• It's rhyming slang
  • Kopite
« Reply #103 on: September 3, 2020, 01:39:50 pm »
10.000 Trucks pass through Dover every day, each one will now take a minimum of 30secs to clear customs. the maths tell us what's going to happen. 10.000 30 secs= 5000minute.
or 83 hours, that means a truck will take 3.5 days to reach customs.

This arithmetic is silly because it assumes all the trucks arrive at once and that only one truck is processed at a time.

If we assume there are 10 customs clearance lanes to process those 10,000 trucks, each one will be need to process 1,000 trucks a day. At 30 seconds a truck each lane can handle 120 an hour. So if the trucks are spread out evenly over an 8 hour period, none of them will be delayed more than 30 seconds.

If Dover sets up 20 lanes or so they could handle peaks quite easily, closing some of them in slack periods.

My point is, yes it's going to be difficult and a long way from friction-free; but there's no need to over-exaggerate the issues. Doing so just weakens the argument.

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: September 3, 2020, 01:57:19 pm »
This arithmetic is silly because it assumes all the trucks arrive at once and that only one truck is processed at a time.

If we assume there are 10 customs clearance lanes to process those 10,000 trucks, each one will be need to process 1,000 trucks a day. At 30 seconds a truck each lane can handle 120 an hour. So if the trucks are spread out evenly over an 8 hour period, none of them will be delayed more than 30 seconds.

If Dover sets up 20 lanes or so they could handle peaks quite easily, closing some of them in slack periods.

My point is, yes it's going to be difficult and a long way from friction-free; but there's no need to over-exaggerate the issues. Doing so just weakens the argument.
Sounds a reasonable answer but how will so many lanes work in practice? why do senior management of Haulage companies believe we will have 30 mile tailbacks, why are the goverment building massive car parks to relieve the tailbacks on motorways? if it was as easy as you say then this would not even be a issue.
               Emily Maitlis

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #105 on: September 4, 2020, 09:08:40 am »
https://www.businessinsider.com/brexit-food-companies-warn-boris-johnson-has-missed-labelling-deadline-2020-9

It seems that once again the detail has defeated the PM and his clown car of indolent incompetents.

The lack of preparation is astonishing.

And you can bet your last fiver on Johnson, Frottage and Davis and all the other Brexit cheerleaders blaming the EU for being vindictive in applying the rules to poor old Britannia.

What is so sad is that the effects of leaving were dismissed as project fear by the likes of Davis, who only pushed for Brexit as a way of getting back at Cameron for winning the leadership.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: September 4, 2020, 09:30:18 am »
Sounds a reasonable answer but how will so many lanes work in practice? why do senior management of Haulage companies believe we will have 30 mile tailbacks, why are the goverment building massive car parks to relieve the tailbacks on motorways? if it was as easy as you say then this would not even be a issue.

And don't forget we are dealing with a Government who, throughout the Covid crisis, have got every single practical decision wrong.

In what universe will they get practical decisions concerning Brexit right? I'm sure the Russian implant will come up with a catchy phrase, Brexit's Done, or something similarly moronic whilst Kent becomes a lorry park.

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #107 on: September 4, 2020, 09:55:43 am »
And don't forget we are dealing with a Government who, throughout the Covid crisis, have got every single practical decision wrong.

In what universe will they get practical decisions concerning Brexit right? I'm sure the Russian implant will come up with a catchy phrase, Brexit's Done, or something similarly moronic whilst Kent becomes a lorry park.

England for the English, or some such racist dogwhistle.
Patel is well on the way to destroying the rule of law, and once they succeed in removing the human rights act we are all illegals.

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: September 4, 2020, 11:48:47 am »

Yeah, it's been said a few times, this is a massive task for a competent government, this government are anything but competent.
I look at other EU borders and wonder why they haven't come up with anything to solve the big tailbacks.
Turkey are not in the SM  but they are in the CU,, the motorway tailbacks are horrendous, we've seen the photos, we will be in neither so that means even more customs checks are needed. I don't think the UK will allow the same situation in Turkey to develop on our Motorways, the Lorrys will be confined to one lane only rather than all the Motorway lanes as in Turkey, this will obviously make the tailbacks longer.  why all the talk of technology etc when all they have to do is bring in more customs lanes,
Switzerland is as good as in the SM. they have harmonised all EU SM laws so they can have access to the SM, there border with the EU also has long tailbacks.

« Last Edit: September 4, 2020, 12:46:06 pm by oldfordie »
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: September 4, 2020, 12:16:38 pm »
Switzerland is as good as in the SM. they have harmonised all EU SM laws so they can have access to the SM, there border with the EU also has long tailbacks.
Yep - I've seen them. And as you say, Switzerland is all but officially in the SM. I am interested to see how the average Brexiteer reacts to the inevitable chaos come January. I expect they will be apoplectic. Who will they blame? I suspect, everyone but themselves.

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: September 4, 2020, 12:31:11 pm »
Yep - I've seen them. And as you say, Switzerland is all but officially in the SM. I am interested to see how the average Brexiteer reacts to the inevitable chaos come January. I expect they will be apoplectic. Who will they blame? I suspect, everyone but themselves.
Yep, Switzerland follow single market standards so no need to check goods to see if they do conform to single market standards but they do need to check if good conform to CU regulations, Turkey are not in SM so goods need to be checked to see if they conform to SM standards, our goods will need to be checked to see if they conform to both rules, SM+CU.
What's so annoying is the nutty leave MPs argued they think we will get a great trade deal to solve these problems, how did they get away with arguing this bull... for years without being exposed as frauds.
No FTA has any impact on our borders. fta are about tariffs not customs checks, this problem can only be solved with harmonising our laws with the EU. that was never going to happen as this was the heart of the Brexit argument. we can make our own laws.
« Last Edit: September 4, 2020, 12:48:25 pm by oldfordie »
               Emily Maitlis

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #111 on: September 4, 2020, 05:37:20 pm »
This piece on Brexiteers never being satisfied is great and in line with what I've long thought, especially these bits

Maybe they should put Moyes in charge so they can win without winning.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: September 4, 2020, 07:29:13 pm »
Deluded. Johnson telling the EU this is happening so give us what we want. the EU must be shaking their heads wondering why we haven't got the message yet.

It's absolutely vital that our partners understand that the UK is going to do what we need to do."
Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson has said the UK will "prosper mightily" even if it does not strike a trade deal with the EU by the end of the year
https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1301908716518871041
               Emily Maitlis

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #113 on: September 5, 2020, 08:10:43 am »

You wait
It will be the fault of the EU for not making an exception for Britannia.
Then Starmer will be blamed for trying to delay Brexit even though the delay was to avoid a no deal exit.
Then Corbyn will be resurrected by the Mail as the reason
Then it will be the unions
Then it will be the Turks

As you say. They will blame everyone for the coming mess

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #114 on: September 5, 2020, 10:46:05 am »
They can blame covid-19 for it.
Might it seem less bad after the struggles of this year?
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: September 5, 2020, 11:30:52 am »
You wait
It will be the fault of the EU for not making an exception for Britannia.
Then Starmer will be blamed for trying to delay Brexit even though the delay was to avoid a no deal exit.
Then Corbyn will be resurrected by the Mail as the reason
Then it will be the unions
Then it will be the Turks

As you say. They will blame everyone for the coming mess

And if Biden gets in and starts playing hard ball over a trade deal you can add the Democrats to that list.

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #116 on: September 5, 2020, 11:50:28 am »
I see Generic Tory Boy has rushed through emergency legislation to allow him to build lorry parks across the south of the country - regardless of whether they are historic battlefields, SSSI, World Heritage Status areas, or green belt.
The best is the spin saying it will allow them reduce queues at the ports. Still won’t stop delays though.
Seems like they fear it is going to be a cock up.
Funny thing is they appear to be in the Pro Brexit Areas.
I would say it’s karma except we will all suffer.

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: September 5, 2020, 12:00:56 pm »
We are in safe hands, everything will be fine as long as you follow government advice. lies just slip off their tongue with ease. headlines a bit misleading as this is more about exporting than importing. be interesting to see how this develops.

UK companies fear food shortages as Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson's government misses deadline for new Brexit labelling rules

https://www.businessinsider.com/brexit-food-companies-warn-boris-johnson-has-missed-labelling-deadline-2020-9?r=US&IR=T
« Last Edit: September 5, 2020, 12:04:13 pm by oldfordie »
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: September 5, 2020, 12:30:07 pm »
They might have a persuasive argument there, but only so long as our major economic competitors struggle similarly to the UK come January. They wont. Yeah, every country will be struggling, but not like the UK - it will be in a class of one.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #119 on: September 5, 2020, 02:43:41 pm »

Maybe if Brexit was instead of Covid but it's going to be on top of Covid.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.