Author Topic: LIVERPOOL TRANSFER THREAD - WELCOME, 'A PLAYER'!!  (Read 2493485 times)

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
Re: Re: Thiago Alacantra
« Reply #40 on: July 6, 2020, 12:59:17 am »
Doesn’t seem to fit with the profile of player we’ve signed in recent times, so seems unlikely to me. On the other hand if the likes of Joyce etc who usually shut these things down are the ones asking questions then who knows.

Thiago is probably the best player of his type on the planet. Up until this point of our development we wouldn't of had a hope of signing him. He is an elite level player.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: July 6, 2020, 01:07:49 am »
Don’t believe his coming here, but why would his agent follow Peter Moore? :o

To wind up Bayern into improving their contract offer?
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline jonkrux

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #42 on: July 6, 2020, 01:14:56 am »
Not the usual profile of player but as Al says just a few posts above, the man is world class. At 29 he not to old yet and if he wants to come then we surely have to take him.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: July 6, 2020, 01:15:31 am »
Signing 29 year Thiago for 30m would be so bizarre when we decided against signing 24 year old Werner for 50. Certainly not consistent with the idea that we're needing to refresh the squad.

But let's see how it plays out. He's a good player anyway.

We decided against signing Werner at the time but a lot might be clearer now, financially. If Werner had hung on or if his clause didn't have an expiry date, things might have been different. Also, maybe Thiago is just someone that Klopp simply doesn't want to pass up, whereas Werner was. I've always been of the belief that we would have pulled the trigger on Werner if Klopp insisted.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #44 on: July 6, 2020, 01:19:35 am »
To wind up Bayern into improving their contract offer?

That may be the case. However, it seems to be more a case of Thiago wanting a new challenge.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: July 6, 2020, 01:20:29 am »
Not the usual profile of player but as Al says just a few posts above, the man is world class. At 29 he not to old yet and if he wants to come then we surely have to take him.

While 29 isn't too old, there's few that have made the switch to the PL that late in their career and spending a significant amount on a transfer and wages for him seems like an unnecessary risk this summer when our spending is restricted due to covid fallout as it is.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: July 6, 2020, 01:21:54 am »
That may be the case. However, it seems to be more a case of Thiago wanting a new challenge.

I hope so. He’d be fantastic here.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #47 on: July 6, 2020, 01:34:58 am »
We decided against signing Werner at the time but a lot might be clearer now, financially. If Werner had hung on or if his clause didn't have an expiry date, things might have been different. Also, maybe Thiago is just someone that Klopp simply doesn't want to pass up, whereas Werner was. I've always been of the belief that we would have pulled the trigger on Werner if Klopp insisted.

Personally I think the difference between Werner and Thiago is that Werner would not of improved the first 11. FSG hate to see players on big wages sitting on the bench. Bring in Werner and it means one of the current front three or Werner is on the bench week in week out.

Thiago if he comes would be one of the first names on the team sheet. Werner would give us basically more of the same. Thiago would add a totally new dimension.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: July 6, 2020, 01:56:23 am »
Two reason why we may be interested.

1. If Boston Red Sox model is to go by, FSG typically create a winning team, reinforce them when they are at their strongest to win championships, Then they have transition seasons. Thiago could still play at a high level for another 4-5 years. I think most of our players can. What we need is to constantly evolve tactically. We could win a lot during this time.

2. Klopp has had big admiration of Bayern team during 2013-2016 era. That's why we poached key staff from them. I am sure he would love to have a player like him. He adds something else to this team.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: July 6, 2020, 05:03:59 am »
isn't it Alcantara, what happened to his 3rd "a"?

Offline kloppagetime

• Is severely disappointed with Liverpool’s performance levels in 2020, especially pre-season.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: July 6, 2020, 05:36:47 am »
Personally I think the difference between Werner and Thiago is that Werner would not of improved the first 11. FSG hate to see players on big wages sitting on the bench. Bring in Werner and it means one of the current front three or Werner is on the bench week in week out.

Thiago if he comes would be one of the first names on the team sheet. Werner would give us basically more of the same. Thiago would add a totally new dimension.
This

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #51 on: July 6, 2020, 05:49:13 am »
I was just reading an article in The Athletic about Xavi just now, which pointed out something I'd forgotten - Xavi, while being a regular fixture at Barca for many years, didn't really have a reputation as a world beater until Guardiola took over, by which time he was 28. He then went on to have 6 more great seasons with Barca.

I suppose by that measure 29 isn't too old for Thiago. At the right price we probably don't need as much of a resell on him, and he could give us 4-5 great years as a world class CM.

I'm coming around.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: July 6, 2020, 07:09:22 am »
so any legs to the talks?

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: July 6, 2020, 07:49:08 am »
I don’t think they are any talks, it’s all just twitter bollocks. Liverpool have won the league, there’s nothing for the Twitter loons to moan about. They’ve manufactured this link so when he re-signs with Bayern, or goes to a different Premier League club, they can have another good old whinge like they did when Werner signed elsewhere. I get the impression they like being little drama queens.

That’s all there is to it.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #54 on: July 6, 2020, 07:59:00 am »
Woah, so it is.  Also one of them’s an â - hope he’s not a proud man and sees this thread or the deal’s going nowhere.

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: July 6, 2020, 08:06:16 am »
He's got a winning mentality. He's winning trophies since he started playing football. That's important for us at this stage. Our team now is full of winners, and we can't and shouldn't lower our standards. So signing him makes perfect sense.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline Zoomers

• Legacy Fan
  • Meow
« Reply #56 on: July 6, 2020, 08:06:43 am »
so any legs to the talks?

I can confirm that he has two legs.
Shut the fuck up and put some respek on Lucas name playboy

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: July 6, 2020, 08:40:33 am »
I think the wheels behind the rumour are maybe the quotes from Klopp in 2017 and 2019.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/274605-klopp-i-got-so-many-congratulations-when-we-announced-keita-deal

“I have contact to a lot of people in the Bundesliga, as you can imagine, and I have never had so many congratulations messages as I had after signing Naby!

“He's the player of the league, that's how it is. Last year, together with Thiago Alcantara who played an outstanding season for Bayern, he was the flier. He's been doing this for two or three years, with different clubs in different leagues, but he's still a young boy.”

Then after the 0-0 at Anfield last year.

“Kimmich and Alaba were so disciplined tonight. I've probably never seen them defend like that. Respect to them they made it difficult for us, although we had good situations where we missed the last touch.

Thiago is a world class footballer. He played that deep-lying playmaker role very well. Alongside Martínez, they were very good.”

Who knows. Jürgen certainly likes the player.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline mkingdon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: July 6, 2020, 08:50:44 am »
I admit to knowing little about the player, but he's a DM right?

We have arguably the best DM in the PL already in Fabinho and his back up, Henderson is 29 too, so on the surface I can't see the burning need to sign him. Will he start instead of Fabinho?

I will have no issue if we sign him. Klopp could sign his wife as the goalkeeper and I'd trust him right now, but we do seem to have higher priorities, such as LB cover and higher quality depth up top.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #59 on: July 6, 2020, 08:51:21 am »
Not sure where a deeper midfielder would fit in with Henderson and Fabinho.

If there is anything in it it would be to replace Wijnaldum.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #60 on: July 6, 2020, 09:32:43 am »
Haven’t seen enough of him to make a judgement of his playing ability.

But it seems odd that we pull out of a £56m deal for Werner to pay £32m for a 28/29 yo midfield player that we are so well stocked.

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: July 6, 2020, 09:33:58 am »
I admit to knowing little about the player, but he's a DM right?

We have arguably the best DM in the PL already in Fabinho and his back up, Henderson is 29 too, so on the surface I can't see the burning need to sign him. Will he start instead of Fabinho?

I will have no issue if we sign him. Klopp could sign his wife as the goalkeeper and I'd trust him right now, but we do seem to have higher priorities, such as LB cover and higher quality depth up top.
No he plays further forward than that. He would play where Gini plays probably.

Online clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: July 6, 2020, 09:47:50 am »

But it seems odd that we pull out of a £56m deal for Werner to pay £32m for a 28/29 yo midfield player that we are so well stocked.

Maybe. But didnt they want the £50m up front as per his release clause? £30m for Thiago could be spread over 3 or 4 years.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #63 on: July 6, 2020, 09:48:26 am »
Not sure where a deeper midfielder would fit in with Henderson and Fabinho.

If there is anything in it it would be to replace Wijnaldum.

Both very solid sources.

Just needs Fordy to complete the brains trust so we’ve got the proper info on this.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: July 6, 2020, 10:03:16 am »
Maybe. But didnt they want the £50m up front as per his release clause? £30m for Thiago could be spread over 3 or 4 years.
I would be very surprised if we sign him. Why not just take Coutinho back home for the same money?

That said, I know very little about Thiago.

Offline HardworkDedication

• Hardwork and Dedication linked to many stories - Mingebag. Has no opinion of his own. Human news ticker tape.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: July 6, 2020, 10:20:45 am »
Paul Joyce

Meanwhile, Liverpool are unlikely to target Bayern Munich midfielder Thiago Alcantara with Klopp playing a straight bat to the subject.

“Thiago Alcantara is a really good player, like a lot of other players out there who I like a lot,” he added. “But that is all I have to say about it.”

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: July 6, 2020, 10:21:29 am »
I’ve never really watched him but the descriptions I’ve read make him sound a bit like de Bruyne?

Offline mkingdon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: July 6, 2020, 10:55:24 am »

Then maybe he is being considered just in case a new contract isn't sorted for Gini? Or as an incentive to get him to agree to one.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #68 on: July 6, 2020, 10:56:11 am »
If we really are in for him, I'm wondering if Klopp is thinking about switching to 4231 with him and Fabinho holding.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: July 6, 2020, 10:56:40 am »
I’ve never really watched him but the descriptions I’ve read make him sound a bit like de Bruyne?

Think Cazorla when he played the playmaking role centrally in our (Arsenals) midfield.

Offline Paul1611

• Kopite
« Reply #70 on: July 6, 2020, 11:08:27 am »
If we really are in for him, I'm wondering if Klopp is thinking about switching to 4231 with him and Fabinho holding.

basically a 2-4-3-1 with our high full backs.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: July 6, 2020, 11:15:09 am »
Apparently Alaba is in the final 12 months of his contract.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: July 6, 2020, 11:20:39 am »

"I know very little about what I'm talking about, but here is my opinion anyway.."

;D
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #73 on: July 6, 2020, 11:33:33 am »

It's hiding between the 'l' and the 'c'
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #74 on: July 6, 2020, 11:57:15 am »
Apparently Alaba is in the final 12 months of his contract.

I’m kinda amazed that there hasn’t been a lot of gossip about him coming to the prem - although maybe there has been? Or maybe he fancies Spain or something.

Manchester City and Chelsea should be / would be all over him surely if there was a chance. He is not only one of the very best left backs in Europe, but also a good central defender too, despite his lack of height.

Bayern will surely have to offer him wages similar to their top 3 stars to get him to re-sign, but it may be a case of him just wanting another challenge, he’s been there since he was a teenager.

Online clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: July 6, 2020, 12:10:02 pm »
I would be very surprised if we sign him. Why not just take Coutinho back home for the same money?

I can't see Barca taking a £100m+ hit on Coutinho.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: July 6, 2020, 12:14:15 pm »
‘Alcantra’ has got 3 ‘a’s in it already.  This thread knows nothing.

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: July 6, 2020, 12:15:39 pm »
"I know very little about what I'm talking about, but here is my opinion anyway.."

;D
And sir, your problem is?

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: July 6, 2020, 12:27:57 pm »
Ornstein saying transfer window opens up on July 27th till end of October.

Offline Felch Aid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: July 6, 2020, 01:05:04 pm »
Is this to fund Havertz at Bayern?