Author Topic: Man City - cheating bastards rumbled  (Read 2788925 times)

Online The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Man City - the Lisbon Lyons
« Reply #13400 on: April 25, 2021, 09:24:48 pm »
What I love about it is how sky spend hours analysing city’s success, and not once mention the money.

Offline Raaphael

• A fucking embarrassment. Hot 4 Andrew Tate. Works out so beware wokies
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yeah? Well fuck you too Greta Gerwig
« Reply #13401 on: April 26, 2021, 05:33:00 am »
This is what you get from Abu Dhabi and the City owners. The guy from DIC who wanted to buy us back in the day is also there, so they are not any better. Awful, sadistic people I would want nowhere near the club:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBQVoC7YHMw

Offline Bergersrightwingviews

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13402 on: April 26, 2021, 07:14:46 am »
What I love about it is how sky spend hours analysing city’s success, and not once mention the money.

“How are they so good? Nobody knows. It will forever remain a mystery. Coming up on Sky Sports News, City to spend £500m on a new defence... again.”
Roger Scruton was right about everything.

Offline free_at_last

• Legacy Fan
  • we all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #13403 on: April 26, 2021, 07:41:53 am »
I couldn't believe Gary Neville suckholing them on the T.V last week. "They've done some great work on the area around the stadium for the community". So that makes all the financial cheating ok. I think City have a got a lot of people in their pay so nobody will call them out.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 07:44:01 am by free_at_last »

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13404 on: April 26, 2021, 08:07:21 am »
Can't remember anyone being this dominant.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Online The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13405 on: April 26, 2021, 08:14:29 am »
I’ve seen teams be dominant before, but they all spent money. Not Man City. I don’t know how they do it.
All I get from city is an intense arm waving manager on the touch line and a giggling laughing mascot in the studio. The rest is a mystery.

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13406 on: April 26, 2021, 08:47:31 am »
I’ve seen teams be dominant before, but they all spent money. Not Man City. I don’t know how they do it.
All I get from city is an intense arm waving manager on the touch line and a giggling laughing mascot in the studio. The rest is a mystery.

I know it's not a popular opinion here and probably someone will call me a " Pep fanboy", but their success and dominance has got to do something with Pep as well. They've spent money before he came but weren't as dominant as they are now.

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Online A-Bomb

• Garlic Butter Coming. Isn’t as good as Divock Origi. Can we sell him?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13407 on: April 26, 2021, 08:55:15 am »
I know it's not a popular opinion here and probably someone will call me a " Pep fanboy", but their success and dominance has got to do something with Pep as well. They've spent money before he came but weren't as dominant as they are now.

They certainly wouldn't play the football they do under Pep with another manager. But could Pep achieve the success he has had there without an open cheque book?

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #13408 on: April 26, 2021, 09:16:43 am »
Of course it's something to do with him, he's one of the most successful managers of all time. He's clearly an excellent coach, despite his flaws. This may sound ridiculous but he's also the coach they've backed the most monetarily - Mancini, Hughes and Pellegrini spent what they wanted and still didn't come close to Pep's average per season spend.

They certainly wouldn't play the football they do under Pep with another manager. But could Pep achieve the success he has had there without an open cheque book?
Absolutely no way whatsoever. Say he's even given the remit to make one marquee signing per season - but based on the caveat that he cannot sign a player in that position if he's already spent heavily on it. Under these very realistic restraints (aka the normal restraints every other club is under) there's no Mahrez, there's no Diaz, no Torres, no Rodri. They're persisting with Mendy at left back and Otamendi with an aging Kompany or Stones - maybe Laporte joins when Kompany retires.

This is clearly gymnastics to place this framework over them - but it's ridiculous to suggest they're not operating in some completely unchecked other realm. I did a post recently analysing the £420m Guardiola has spent on defenders alone - that's £80m per season - the hilarity ensures when you see they've spent £800m gross and £565m net in Guardiola's time at the club. He's been there 5 years, over £100m per year. If any top coach had that backing I'd expect them to create the greatest club side of all time, which he absolute has not done. Not even close. Even Man Utd with their horror show spending are over £150m behind City.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13409 on: April 26, 2021, 09:35:46 am »
Mancini and Pellegrini also won the league.
No doubt pep is a great coach ,  but without the state funds they would clearly not be in the position they are.

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13410 on: April 26, 2021, 10:00:41 am »

Could Hamilton achieve the success without having the best and the fastest car? I think this is something that works both ways.

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Online red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #13411 on: April 26, 2021, 10:05:24 am »
Could Hamilton achieve the success without having the best and the fastest car? I think this is something that works both ways.

I don't know enough about motor racing but aren't the authorities always trying to even the playing field? Tyres/fuel/ number of rebuilds allowed.

City effectively can do whatever they like. Even when they get caught breaking rules they scweeam to CAS so it's overturned.

They are the saviours and thank goodness they are here to save us from a cartels dominance.

Sports washing, financial doping, human rights violating pricks

Online The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13412 on: April 26, 2021, 10:07:39 am »
Could city win the league without Pep, yes

Could city win anything without the Sheikh, no

Thank you sheikh Mansoor, you saved football this week, now I can celebrate city keeping our game safe by winning 10 of the next 12 trophies.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13413 on: April 26, 2021, 10:07:50 am »
No he couldn't. Could he do it in a car that has equitable power with others? Maybe, because he's one of the best drivers. But it would be more interesting and he definitely could lose. He's not so good that if you give him a much poorer car, say a Williams, that he'd still win. He'd struggle and probably do better than the current Williams drivers.

Which is the situation Guardiola is in with Man City. It's a decent analogy to be fair. Give Guardiola Burnley though and he doesn't achieve anything special.

It's the age old debate in Klopp v Guardiola - one who is handed riches in a position of primacy and dominance and adds a pleasing aestheticism to the dominance but ultimately achieves much the same as his predecessors - vs one who has to operate within boundaries, adapts to the situation and gets more out of less.

The easiest way to answer any debate about Man City - did they, in 2007, look like they had the finances, the structure, the squad to win anything? No. Did they look like they'd do anything meaningful in the years to come? No. Did they have any players whatsoever who've gone on to bigger things (outside of staying at City post takeover)? Absolutely not.

They were only four points above the relegation zone, didn't win any of their last six games and got knocked out of the league cup by Chesterfield. And in the ten years preceding that, they'd only outperformed that league finish twice, and never been in Europe. They are completely and utterly an entity of Abu Dhabi's money, control and insidious, ruinous influence on football.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 10:15:38 am by Drinks Sangria »
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline skivvy10

• Kemlynite
« Reply #13414 on: April 26, 2021, 10:28:43 am »
Commentator on Bein sports remarked yesterday how Guardiola has always taken the League Cup seriously, not too difficult to do when you have a 2nd team of internationals
And on the 6th day he created the Spion Kop, and then he rested.

Offline stewy17

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13415 on: April 26, 2021, 11:06:16 am »
Can't stand them .

I'm still a bit ambivalent to them you know. Can't help but do a partridge shrug when I see they've won another league cup. Who's really arsed? A nothing competition with a really fucking dull outcome every year which is largely based around good draws and having the best squad in the world.

I guess when I think of it I can get angry about how they've bought their trophy's but to me they'll always be that shite Alan Ball team and that League
One promotion side or whatever it was back then. Clinical, manufactured, boring shite. Even winning 6 out of the last 8 league cups. Yeah sound boys you didn't have a sniff in the 40 years prior to that.

I wouldn't mind us winning the league cup, obviously, but it's on a par with the charity shield by now surely? Jurgen throws it every season and so do half of the PL teams and the Championship sides.  Fuck it off.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #13416 on: April 26, 2021, 11:36:43 am »
Commentator on Bein sports remarked yesterday how Guardiola has always taken the League Cup seriously, not too difficult to do when you have a 2nd team of internationals

Red_Rich on here was banging that drum years ago. Think they'd just beaten Burton in the semis and he was bigging them up for taking it seriously, and how they deserved respect for it :D

It embarrasses the tournament that they've won six of the last eight. Their first game this season was against Bournemouth, at home, and they had £200 million worth of signings starting and another £200 million on the bench.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline JRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13417 on: April 26, 2021, 11:44:09 am »
This really bugs me. ‘Pep always takes the cups seriously whilst other managers play reserve players’. I bet pep has never played his first 11 in a domestic cup game.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #13418 on: April 26, 2021, 11:47:01 am »
Has Nathan Ake been injured? Feels like he's barely played since the start of the season but spotted him in the celebrations yesterday.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Online Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13419 on: April 26, 2021, 11:49:46 am »
Has Nathan Ake been injured? Feels like he's barely played since the start of the season but spotted him in the celebrations yesterday.

Wouldn't surprise me if they'd just forgotten that they signed him.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13420 on: April 26, 2021, 12:06:58 pm »
He had a hamstring issue that kept him out for a few games at the backend of November last year, which then reoccurred when he was fit again in December and that kept him out for 3 months. He had the same injury at Chelsea and twice at Bournemouth so it does look like it's a big problem for the lad.

His signing always did feel like a £40m back up option though.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13421 on: April 26, 2021, 12:09:58 pm »
Neville blowing smoke up Pep's arse saying he could be the best manager of all time. I suppose he had to revert to type after Man United's title challenge lasted all of a week.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #13422 on: April 26, 2021, 12:13:05 pm »
He had a hamstring issue that kept him out for a few games at the backend of November last year, which then reoccurred when he was fit again in December and that kept him out for 3 months. He had the same injury at Chelsea and twice at Bournemouth so it does look like it's a big problem for the lad.

Cheers :wave

His signing always did feel like a £40m back up option though.

;D
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #13423 on: April 26, 2021, 12:17:39 pm »
This is from a poster on here, really sorry I sent the text to a friend and had cut off who it was, sorry again but it is ON POINT:

"Going forward it's going to be hard to keep us competing like we have in recent years.

Our finances have been impacted significantly by Covid-19, as have most other clubs. City's finances have but with the removal of FFP they can utilise the vast funds of there owners to not only fill the gap in finances caused by Covid-19 but also top that up significantly.

That risk is already there. City started their game last night with a match day squad including 7 defenders who've been bought for around 50M euros each:

Ruben Dias -  68M
Joao Cancelo - 65M
Aymeric Laporte - 65M
Benjamin Mendy -57.5M
John Stones - 55.6M
Kyle Walker -  52.7M
Nathan Ake -  45.3M

In comparison, we've bought 1 defender over 30M in the history of the club. Dejan Lovren at 25M euros is the 2nd most expensive defender in our history. United, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs combined have bought only 5 defenders between them in their history that cost more than Nathan Ake."
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13424 on: April 26, 2021, 12:18:57 pm »
Neville blowing smoke up Pep's arse saying he could be the best manager of all time. I suppose he had to revert to type after Man United's title challenge lasted all of a week.
He'll go down as an all-time great, but since he left Barcelona he's done nothing that's remarkable. He has taken a lavishly-stacked Bayern side and messed around with their tactics to eventually produce a more stylish but less effective version of what Heynckes had given for the years before, all whilst spending huge amounts.

He's then taken literally the easiest job in English club football and spent £800m on players to dominate domestically but still ultimately fail to deliver their holy grail, which is essentially what all the others before him did - win a league and not conquer Europe.

I am interested to hear Pep talk about football - he can be engaging and has some really interesting conceptual ideas. He can manifest these quite strangely at times on the pitch (inverted full backs covering central midfield with Bayern?) and his teams can be a bit robotic, but he's definitely a man with a vision. What I don't rate him as is versatile or capable of coaching beyond his financial means - he literally has always had the best players or the means to bring them in. Don't buy into the 'I can only take these sort of jobs because only the best players can play my football;' that comment quite patently has less value than the steam off my shit. If he really wanted to test his own abilities and limits, he'd take a job akin to a Dortmund or a Liverpool when Klopp took those jobs - ambitious teams with squads that had talent but needed both spark and refinement alongside clever recruitment. Those sides weren't exactly no hopers when the Klopp eras began, but they were a long way from what they became.

Pep would get a lot more respect and people like me would cease to criticise if he all of a sudden rocked up at a challenger club like a Red Bull, Sociedad or Leicester etc and won them titles whilst only spending relative to most opponents in the league. I just don't think he has the talent, vision, execution, will or personality to do that.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #13425 on: April 26, 2021, 12:20:10 pm »
Guardiola - very good coach, who admits himself that he can only work the way he does with the absolute best squads. 

It’s all so very sterile with him though, he wants pefection, he want’s the whole game scripted, it’s robotic.

Football should always have some chaos and upredictability, it isn’t meant to be a perfect science. His football bored me at Bayern, I learnt then to not bother watching it much, so I don’t, apart from the occassional game when his team plays Liverpool.

It’s just a shame that he and his horrific club don’t get called out for what they are, cheats, sportswashers and hypocrites, buying up trophies to cover their owners awful human rights atrocities. That of all the many things that is wrong with football particularly in the premier league, is what bothers me most. How pretty much everyone is ok with this. And if that never changes (and it won’t), football in this league will always be a shitshow.

Offline tonysleft

• Legacy Fan
  • A manc
« Reply #13426 on: April 26, 2021, 12:22:13 pm »
Nagelsmann to Bayern means they won't have a shot at their preferred Pep successor for at least another few years. Gives them time to tow his hometown, family, childhood friends and associates to Manchester on a boat over the next few years anyway
Great chiefs and great loves in obliterated light

Offline JRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13427 on: April 26, 2021, 03:58:04 pm »
It’s like when you put a tenner in a coat pocket and find it 2 months later. Pep does that with the defenders he buys.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #13428 on: April 26, 2021, 05:10:05 pm »
He'll go down as an all-time great, but since he left Barcelona he's done nothing that's remarkable. He has taken a lavishly-stacked Bayern side and messed around with their tactics to eventually produce a more stylish but less effective version of what Heynckes had given for the years before, all whilst spending huge amounts.

Amazing coach and clearly one of the very best football minds of his generation but it's been a decade since he won the European Cup, they have every chance of doing it this season but given the Bayern squad and the money spent at City without even a sniff of a final you'd have to say that's quite underwhelming.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #13429 on: April 26, 2021, 06:06:08 pm »
I'm still a bit ambivalent to them you know. Can't help but do a partridge shrug when I see they've won another league cup. Who's really arsed? A nothing competition with a really fucking dull outcome every year which is largely based around good draws and having the best squad in the world.

I guess when I think of it I can get angry about how they've bought their trophy's but to me they'll always be that shite Alan Ball team and that League
One promotion side or whatever it was back then. Clinical, manufactured, boring shite. Even winning 6 out of the last 8 league cups. Yeah sound boys you didn't have a sniff in the 40 years prior to that.

I wouldn't mind us winning the league cup, obviously, but it's on a par with the charity shield by now surely? Jurgen throws it every season and so do half of the PL teams and the Championship sides.  Fuck it off.

I live with a City fan and - although I wasn't watching on Sunday - I know that he switched the coverage off right on the final whistle and didn't bother watching the trophy lift & celebrations.

I don't care what the competition is - I'm sticking around to watch that bit when it's us...

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #13430 on: April 26, 2021, 06:15:56 pm »
Don't really get the people that say they don't mind ManC winning stuff but I guess after you normalize Chelsea and Abramovich it's not that much more of a jump.  Probably stolen 2 or more trophies away from Jurgen and the boys while ruining English football. 

Offline kezzy

• Kopite
« Reply #13431 on: April 27, 2021, 12:19:33 am »
Can't remember anyone being this dominant.

Liverpool football club

76. League and uefa cup double
77. League and European cup double
78. European cup
79. League title
80. League title
81. European cup and league cup double
82. League and league cup double
83. League and league cup double
84. League, European cup and league cup treble.

9 consecutive trophy winning seasons.  No other English club has come close to that.  16 major trophies won in that time including 7 league titles and 5 European trophies.  One treble and 5 doubles won during those 9 years and we didn’t need to be owned by a cheating, human rights abusing oil state to achieve all that. 

Offline johnj147

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13432 on: April 27, 2021, 12:26:06 am »
Just hope they get fucked in the champions League..

Online red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #13433 on: April 27, 2021, 06:28:50 am »
Liverpool football club

78. European cup
79. League title
80. League title

9 consecutive trophy winning seasons.  No other English club has come close to that.  16 major trophies won in that time including 7 league titles and 5 European trophies.  One treble and 5 doubles won during those 9 years and we didn’t need to be owned by a cheating, human rights abusing oil state to achieve all that. 

We did have that sweet pools money though. There's barely any difference to being bank rolled by one of the wealthiest (and morally repugnant) nations on earth and having a teneous link to a company that runs a basic score prediction competition (and paying for stuff on the drip for 50 weeks). It's basically the same

Offline JRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13434 on: April 27, 2021, 07:27:38 am »
Liverpool football club

78. European cup
79. League title
80. League title

We weren’t competing against a cheating , human rights abusing oil state then. Unfortunately we are now.

Offline JRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13435 on: April 28, 2021, 09:13:58 am »
So tonight sees the most despicable game in football, but what do we call it? Oil Cashico? El Gassico? Abu Dhabi v Qatar? Clash of the Human Rights abusers? The Sports-washing Derby? The Gulf War? The Middle-East power struggle? Whatever you call it , both clubs are grotesque. However, if PSG win the CL would it mean Mbappe isn’t too bothered about missing the competition next season?

To be fair to Man city, their incredible run to the semi final has seen an increase in shirt sales. Their Abu Dhabi store has sold 10! Bringing in another £500M for the transfer kitty.

Offline Jshooters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Occasionally inspirational
« Reply #13436 on: April 28, 2021, 10:30:17 am »
So tonight sees the most despicable game in football, but what do we call it? Oil Cashico? El Gassico? Abu Dhabi v Qatar? Clash of the Human Rights abusers? The Sports-washing Derby? The Gulf War? The Middle-East power struggle? Whatever you call it , both clubs are grotesque. However, if PSG win the CL would it mean Mbappe isn’t too bothered about missing the competition next season?

To be fair to Man city, their incredible run to the semi final has seen an increase in shirt sales. Their Abu Dhabi store has sold 10! Bringing in another £500M for the transfer kitty.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/psg-man-city-champions-league-sportwashing-b1838587.html

At the height of last week’s tension in football, a genuine piece of international diplomacy was required.

The Times reported that Lord Udny-Lister, Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson’s special envoy to the Gulf, contacted the United Arab Emirates government to caution that Manchester City’s involvement in The Super League might damage the state’s relationship with the United Kingdom.

No such intervention was required between France and Qatar. Paris Saint-Germain’s owners had already turned the invitation down, although many feel political interests were even more important there.

The Qatari state has invested huge amounts into the very infrastructure of football, from the 2022 World Cup to BeIn Sport’s hefty deal as a Champions League broadcast partner. There was little benefit to Qatar in upending all of that.

That’s all before you get to the “toxic” reputation of The Super League, for two much-criticised governments using football to try and nurture benevolent images. You couldn’t have clearer illustrations of the way these two clubs are utilised by states, which is quite a set-up for a fixture of huge geopolitical dimensions.

The Super League isn’t the only time the two clubs have found themselves on either side of a contentious divide, after all. This third ever drawing of PSG and City marks their first match since the start and end of the 2017-20 Gulf blockade. City’s Abu Dhabi owners, as the major power within the UAE, rowed in behind their Saudi Arabian allies in an economic cold war against Qatar.

It was only when Joe Biden was elected in the United States that Mohamed Bin Salman, the Saudi crown prince, realised the ground had shifted and a show of good will was required. The blockade was ended.

“Once the Saudis made that calculation, the others had to follow,” Dr Kristian Ulrichsen, fellow for the Middle East at the Rice University in Houston, explains. “The Saudis would have wanted to reconcile more than some of the others – including Abu Dhabi.”

Far deeper political rivalries persist. It is why this fixture takes the whole “sportswashing” dimension onto a new level, if also perhaps a point of inevitability. There is similarly the fact that the football world is far more attuned to the use of these clubs than in 2016, when even the effects were less visible. Neither club was yet at the elite stage they are now. Neither prompted the same level of debate.

The potential for political propaganda with these fixtures is profound, and arguably carries a greater power given the end of the blockade has ended. The interest will go right to the very top.

“I suspect Tamim [bin Hamad Al Thani, Emir of Qatar] will be watching,” says Bill Law, editor of Gulf Digest, who on Tuesday wrote an article describing this fixture as ‘more than a match’. “Lots of members of the Al Nayhan [from Abu Dhabi] will be watching quite closely. “It’s very interesting in terms of the wider context. Although it’s very clear the Saudis want to make up with Qatar, Mohamed bin Zayed [crown prince of Abu Dhabi] very much remains cool, for all sorts of reasons.”

Dr Ulrichsen agrees, comparing it to the 2019 Asian Cup meeting. “They’ll inevitably look at it through a geopolitical lens. Qatar also played UAE at the height of the blockade, and won 4-0. It was celebrated massively in Doha but, with the best will in the world, the Asian Cup is one thing.

“The Champions League is the place to be. Its global visibility is so much greater, especially because PSG and City have become such visible expressions of their investment into European football. Qatar beating UAE mattered hugely to issues related to the blockade but this is several orders of magnitude greater – just because of the visibility it would bring. We’ve had a dampening down of most of the rhetoric, so perhaps the football field is where you can express that, when the team you own and support wins.”

Nick McGeehan, who has long worked on human rights issues in the Gulf with Fair Square, believes it may even go to pettier levels. “The enmity between the two is still intense. There’s been a degree of rapprochement with the Saudis and the Qataris, but it’s Abu Dhabi that have driven so much of the gulf crisis. There’s still huge antipathy there. So they’ll be desperate to beat each other.

“That personal level is often overlooked. The rivalry is portrayed as between great political strategies of states, and there are very strong politics here, but these are deeply personal rivalries. It’s families, and individuals. MBZ hates the Qataris, and has done for a long time.”

“One of the things about these ruling families is that they are pretty thin-skinned,” Law adds.

For all the multi-level political strategising, such issues can often come down to sheer “one-upmanship”.

“It’s whose prize team is going to beat the other prize team,” McGeehan says. “In terms of one-upmanship, they’ll both want to win the European Cup before the other one. That is what they’re most interested in, who can get the ultimate prize first.”

That is what they’re playing for here, and it’s why the fixture is all the more timely. The very competition would have come under threat had it not been for the decisions of both clubs. Abu Dhabi “did not want it to become an international row”, to quote The Times, so City withdrew. PSG led the charge against The Super League, to the point club president Nasser Al-Khelaifi is the new president of the European Club Association.

“It’s interesting,” McGeehan says. “A few weeks ago, for the 2022 World Cup qualifiers, Qatar was everything that was wrong with modern football, then they suddenly had this opportunity to present themselves as saviours. They must have been delighted, on one level.”

It is why this fixture is timely, on another level. You couldn’t have a better reminder of remaining concerns in the game.

Far from saviours of football from The Super League, both of these ownerships are sources and reflections of the problems.

The game has really been in a self-perpetuating cycle. One of the reasons the Super League project went to the next level was because three decades of unfettered hypercapitalism had allowed a group of clubs to reach a financial size that meant they outgrew their leagues. It was that potential size – and the immense political capital involved – that attracted states to purchase clubs, and particularly those of historically lower profiles like City or PSG. This was what they could be made into.

That was something made more transparent to some supporters, too. While large sections of City fans have generally been hugely appreciative of the Abu Dhabi ownership, there was unprecedented anger at the Super League plan. The issue reminded that, for all the silverware any ownership can bring, the club is still at the whims of whatever the hierarchy plan to do. It just so happened it was this time to the benefit of Abu Dhabi’s intentions to bow out. Their intentions for football are still domination, as is the case with PSG.

That cycle has turned the game into a financial arms race, which even the legacy clubs struggled to keep up with. The Independent has frequently reported that one of the main motivations behind the Neymar signing was to “short squeeze” the transfer market, and inflate fees and wages to such a point that all but a handful of clubs would be able to keep up. There was an awareness that some would take themselves to the brink of financial ruin in trying to do so. This is precisely what has happened. Arresting this was one of the motivations behind The Super League, especially for clubs like Real Madrid and Barcelona.

That ill-fated project may actually mark a last defeat, ahead of a new era in the Gulf takeover of football. It might well mark a new cycle, with this fixture an even more symbolic meeting.

“This could be one of those hinge moments in history, one of those turning points that only fully becomes apparent later down the line,” Dr Ulrichsen says. “The fact that The Super League was last week, and this week is this fixture, we might see April 2021 as when everything changed. It’s been over 10 years of investment and so far neither of them have actually won the Champions League, but I suspect this might be the year it changes, and maybe produces a period of sustained dominance.”

McGeehan believes it’s already here. “I look at the semi-final and just think, that’s it, they’re there, they’ve got it, everyone else is skint. Yes, they’ve got their rivalry to play out, but they’ve reached the top very quickly. The pandemic has hastened it, of course.”

But these two clubs are standing tallest, and strongest. The world will now be watching. So, just as importantly, will the key power brokers in both countries.
Believer

Online Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13437 on: April 28, 2021, 11:38:08 am »
https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/psg-man-city-champions-league-sportwashing-b1838587.html

The replies to Miguel Delaney on twitter to this article are hilarious, apparently City aren't state owned and Miguel is a racist for questioning him.

Online taylorb1991

• Main Stander
« Reply #13438 on: April 28, 2021, 04:14:48 pm »
You know football has taken a serious turn for the worse when Real Madrid are the least corrupt club in the semi-finals of the Champions League. City vs PSG has got to be up there as one of the most repugnant matches in history

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13439 on: April 28, 2021, 04:16:21 pm »
You know football has taken a serious turn for the worse when Real Madrid are the least corrupt club in the semi-finals of the Champions League. City vs PSG has got to be up there as one of the most repugnant matches in history
Literally one semi-final with two of the vilest clubs in Europe, and another with two who not only manage to be even worse, but shouldn't even be in the competition.