Author Topic: Man City - cheating bastards rumbled  (Read 2787368 times)

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
Re: Man City - the Lisbon Lyons
« Reply #13520 on: May 1, 2021, 07:15:05 pm »
Bad fucking cheats these and the worst part is you have knobhead ''rival'' fans clapping them on.

It's like turkeys clapping for Christmas. They are far too dense to see it though.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #13521 on: May 1, 2021, 07:19:18 pm »
It's like turkeys clapping for Christmas. They are far too dense to see it though.

true that, make me laugh how fans of teams who where looking down at Man City for years, only to see them buy their way past them, are abolutely fine with how they go about their ‘success’.   

Online RJH

• doesn't know his alphabet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13522 on: May 1, 2021, 08:28:19 pm »
That’s from a piece on F365 today. Apparently it’s ok that that they have £50m back ups for each position because ‘money doesn’t guarantee success’

I'm not sure how the fact that only the biggest spender has managed to win three out of four is an argument against money buying success.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #13523 on: May 1, 2021, 10:32:06 pm »
Us winning the title the way we did is the greatest PL win of all time.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #13524 on: May 1, 2021, 11:03:19 pm »

Without a doubt, it'll be remembered more than City unfairly winning it season after season. Like an underdog winning the National in the midst of an odds on favourite winning streak, who is remembered and preferred the most?
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #13525 on: May 1, 2021, 11:37:33 pm »

easily.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #13526 on: May 2, 2021, 03:05:48 am »
easily.

Yeah, but we have to get rid of most of the players that did that, according to the transfer forum.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline The Test

• 6'3" tall, very strong but also pretty quick seeks soulmate with GSOH. Priority given to Mormons.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Coutinho's cousins mates tennis partner
« Reply #13527 on: May 2, 2021, 07:48:35 am »
true that, make me laugh how fans of teams who where looking down at Man City for years, only to see them buy their way past them, are abolutely fine with how they go about their ‘success’.

A way to put the power of social media to good use would be if all fans, forums, YouTube channels etc in the country agreed to unanimously ignore city in the league. Just create a league table without Them and never mention them. So whoever either finishes first or 2nd behind them gets the win.  Have a Victory parade, replica trophy etc and rival fans agree to recognise the de facto champions...

Online The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #13528 on: May 2, 2021, 08:10:15 am »
How come the media never mentions it? They talk as if it's a big achievement.

The media thrive on the illusion of competition. Who will watch sky or read newspapers if they told the truth.
Up to last week sky were still talking about the title race.
At some stage people will stop watching , the money will stop coming in, and the narrative will change.

Offline JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13529 on: May 2, 2021, 08:20:55 am »
So, according to the Daily Mail, Man City are still under investigation by the PL regarding FFP breaches. Apparently the PL will not comment until the investigation is completed.
The game needs the PL to save it now, although I don’t hold out much hope.

Offline Bucko - Dubai

• Anny Roader
« Reply #13530 on: May 2, 2021, 08:28:09 am »
A way to put the power of social media to good use would be if all fans, forums, YouTube channels etc in the country agreed to unanimously ignore city in the league. Just create a league table without Them and never mention them. So whoever either finishes first or 2nd behind them gets the win.  Have a Victory parade, replica trophy etc and rival fans agree to recognise the de facto champions...

Starting next season

Offline JRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13531 on: May 2, 2021, 08:37:00 am »
Starting next season
I would like the fans of the other PL teams to protest by never attending a game involving Man City until their cheating is stopped. Unfortunately , fans of most clubs know their team will never win the league without also being taken over by a similar regime to city’s, and being bought trophies as part of a sportswashing project, so they just accept what city are doing.

Online taylorb1991

• Main Stander
« Reply #13532 on: May 2, 2021, 11:02:02 am »

This is exactly what I don't get and it's part of the reason City get away with it. I've only ever heard Liverpool and United fans call out City's cheating. Fans of other clubs seem almost seem content that City are winning despite them breaking rules to do it. Everton fans lapping it up despite them previously being streets ahead of City and now they're miles behind, why are they happy about it? Same with an Arsenal fan I know, he thinks what City are doing is admirable. It's mental. If fans of every Premier League club actually got on board with voicing concerns about City and their homophobic, cheating owners, then the authorities might actually do something about it.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #13533 on: May 2, 2021, 11:43:07 am »
The media thrive on the illusion of competition. Who will watch sky or read newspapers if they told the truth.
Up to last week sky were still talking about the title race.
At some stage people will stop watching , the money will stop coming in, and the narrative will change.
And an illusion is all it is too.

It's right there, in plain sight. Right in front of everybody's eyes, yet they fail to see the reality and fall for the illusion every time.

The most bizarre thing is that when there was actually some real competition (last season) the media poured scorn on it and endlessly whinged on about how Liverpool being so far ahead of the side declared the best of all time just months earlier was bad for competition, thus bad for the game. So, a first title in 30 years won by a side playing scintillating football was somehow bad for the game, but these recession proof, pandemic proof cheats with two first teams sleepwalking to purchased trophy after purchased trophy is somehow good for the game and good for competition too. Its utterly bizarre.

It was similar in the 80s where our fully earned dominance was deemed bad for the game, but once the Mancs got it right in the 90s their Ferguson years cakewalk was then declared good for the game.

It seems dependant on who is doing the winning, whether or not that winning is deemed good or bad for the game. It's mindbogglingly bizarre hearing people suggesting that Abu Dhabi Sportswashers are good for competition and the game itself. It really is lunatics have taken over the asylum kind of stuff.

We even had that utter fraud of a human being, Guardiola, outrageously going on camera to say the ESL was bad for competition. This coming from the man who is figurehead for the Sportswash vehicle that has virtually killed all competition in the English top flight.

You say that at some stage people will stop watching. Well I already have, and I know lots of others who have too. Every season, more and more become disillusioned with it all and walk away. Maybe this is one reason why the ESL was touted in the first place. Once you've abused your market to death and squeezed it dry, you need to tap into other markets instead. Maybe they've realised that a lot of us have twigged onto it all being a very expensive illusion, and are walking away. When that happens, they need a newer, more gullible market to sell to. Enter the internet streamer 'fan' who follows players rather than clubs and lives thousands of miles away from the clubs and communities those clubs serve, so don't give a crap about them just so long as they get to see Messi Vs Salah on their iPhone stream.

It seems most of the game is about illusion these days. 😞
« Last Edit: May 2, 2021, 11:49:11 am by Son of Spion* »
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Bucko - Dubai

• Anny Roader
« Reply #13534 on: May 2, 2021, 12:29:24 pm »
Think the reason other clubs don't voice their concern is similar to why we would always want City to win anything over United.

Because us and United have history and a much bigger and more vocal fanbase fans of other clubs like to see us suffer and the only way that will happen for both of us is through ADFC.
However as we know when City win anything no one cares including fans of other clubs.

I suppose its linked with the tribalism of all fan bases and clubs

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13535 on: May 2, 2021, 12:44:50 pm »
Abramovich was the first one who has opened this gate. Now I'm afraid it's too late for anything. It doesn't matter what we say about them, that won't change anything. Only when fans of Mancity or Chelsea will want their owners out, only then things could change because football belongs to the fans. That said, I'm pretty sure that Noel Gallagher doesn't want their owners out anytime soon, or any other City or Chelsea fan for that matter.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline decosabute

• ...and so am I. Abu Dhabi correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13536 on: May 2, 2021, 03:36:01 pm »
That’s from a piece on F365 today. Apparently it’s ok that that they have £50m back ups for each position because ‘money doesn’t guarantee success’

Ridiculous stuff. Another writer on the payroll then.

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13537 on: May 2, 2021, 05:06:57 pm »
Micah Richards is a gobshite.

Offline JayH93

• Legacy Fan
  • ANLACKY
« Reply #13538 on: May 2, 2021, 05:09:33 pm »
Absolute shithouse, sportswashed to the maximum.

"I can't criticise Man City's owners."

Of course you can, you just don't have a spine.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13539 on: May 2, 2021, 06:28:38 pm »

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13540 on: May 2, 2021, 06:30:31 pm »
Spare a thought for Micah Richards whose “champagne has gone cold”.

Offline MJD-L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Mellor, lovely cushioned header...For GERRAAARD!"
« Reply #13541 on: May 2, 2021, 08:40:36 pm »
Think the reason other clubs don't voice their concern is similar to why we would always want City to win anything over United.

Because us and United have history and a much bigger and more vocal fanbase fans of other clubs like to see us suffer and the only way that will happen for both of us is through ADFC.
However as we know when City win anything no one cares including fans of other clubs.

I suppose its linked with the tribalism of all fan bases and clubs

Yep, this.

Fans of other clubs hate us & United because of our earned success. They know their club probably isn't ever going to challenge for the league so they're happy to see someone, anyone, win it as long as it's not us or the red mancs.

They'll gladly lap it all up because we all know City's achievements are basically worthless. I think it would bother me more if City were winning things simply due to being a better run club than us, but they're not.

They win because they're rich. That's it. No other reason. Not Pep, not De Bruyne, not Aguero, not the fans or the stadium or their coaching team. It's all Money.

So yeah, I think most fans find their title wins more palatable because they know they haven't actually earned or deserved any of it. It's almost artificial.

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13542 on: May 3, 2021, 08:03:35 am »
I would imagine Pep gathered the whole squad and staff together to watch the game yesterday, just in case we got the win that gave them the title (much like Klopp and the players did for us last season) so can imagine they were all well and truly hacked off about a wasted afternoon. What’s more they couldn’t even vent on social media due to the blackout! 😂🤣😂🤣

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #13543 on: May 3, 2021, 08:52:34 am »
Ah we all know that football was invented in 1992. if you look back a bit further though into the murky depths of the First Division (which is another way to say „The best League available“) you might find someone who as a Manager did it before Alex Ferguson.

And he won three European Cups in nine years.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #13544 on: May 3, 2021, 09:09:58 am »
BAD (Before Abu Dhabi) City were an average mid-table club. After Abu Dhabi they went 10th, 5th, 3rd (plus the FA Cup) and one the league in year four.

With average managers they won two leagues in 6 years. Since getting one of the best managers in the world they’re going to win three in four and will be favourites to win again next year.

Money doesn’t guarantee anything but if it buys a squad of the best players and pays them ridiculous wages in backhanders and buys one of the best managers then you’re going to win trophies.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Online lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #13545 on: May 4, 2021, 01:14:25 pm »
BAD (Before Abu Dhabi) City were an average mid-table club. After Abu Dhabi they went 10th, 5th, 3rd (plus the FA Cup) and one the league in year four.

With average managers they won two leagues in 6 years. Since getting one of the best managers in the world they’re going to win three in four and will be favourites to win again next year.

Money doesn’t guarantee anything but if it buys a squad of the best players and pays them ridiculous wages in backhanders and buys one of the best managers then you’re going to win trophies.

Can we just also say that in a pandemic, when every squad has been a bit knackered, having £150-200 million worth of defensive talent in rotation and on the bench creates an almost guarantee of success. Add to that, having a playing style that doesn't require the intensity in the match brought about by fan participation in grounds and you get the perfect storm.

And lastly, when summer rolls around and every club has financial issues for Pandemic reasons: Oops, there we go; plenty of money comes bubbling up, black gold style, from the ground.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #13546 on: May 4, 2021, 01:18:09 pm »
To be honest City winning it and United winning it this season?

Well done City. Top hole old chaps!

Arfness :)
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #13547 on: May 4, 2021, 01:40:15 pm »

And (unless PSG show up) their first European final since 1969-70 when they won the Cup Winners Cup, their only European honour.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
  • Fan since Liverpool 5 Stoke 3 in 1976
« Reply #13548 on: May 4, 2021, 01:55:11 pm »
Ah we all know that football was invented in 1992. if you look back a bit further though into the murky depths of the First Division (which is another way to say „The best League available“) you might find someone who as a Manager did it before Alex Ferguson.

Twice.

76/77/79

80/82/83
United used to win titles on easy street, time for us to take over that real estate

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
  • Fan since Liverpool 5 Stoke 3 in 1976
« Reply #13549 on: May 4, 2021, 01:59:28 pm »

You're right, money doesn't 100% guarantee anything but it shortens the odds massively.
United used to win titles on easy street, time for us to take over that real estate

Offline JRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13550 on: May 4, 2021, 02:55:53 pm »
You're right, money doesn't 100% guarantee anything but it shortens the odds massively.
When you spend what Abu Dhabi do, without having to sell any top players, then it’s as close to guaranteeing success as you can get. How Pep could give that interview about football not being football without competition , whilst spending billions to try and eliminate competition, is beyond comprehension.

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #13551 on: May 4, 2021, 03:14:26 pm »
NYTimes reporting that they’ve been locked in arbitration with the PL over FFP since 2019 and will now sue the PL as the arbitration isn’t fair.

Offline Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13552 on: May 4, 2021, 03:21:48 pm »
NYTimes reporting that they’ve been locked in arbitration with the PL over FFP since 2019 and will now sue the PL as the arbitration isn’t fair.

They're like the Death Star threatening to launch their lawyers if you don't kneel.

Offline JasonF

• Frenkie says "Ilaix, don't do it"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Funny T-Shirts
« Reply #13553 on: May 4, 2021, 03:29:07 pm »
Manchester City Battles Premier League Over Alleged Rule Breach
City, the Gulf-backed soccer team on the cusp of a fourth English Premier League title, is fighting an investigation over financial control rules.
By Tariq Panja

LONDON — Manchester City, the English soccer team that is on the cusp of winning the Premier League for the third time in four seasons, is involved in a secret legal battle with the league over whether it complied with financial rules as it surged to become one of the sport’s dominant forces.

The Premier League has been tight lipped since confirming in 2019 that it was looking into City’s finances a few months after the German news weekly Der Spiegel, citing internal club information, said the club had disguised direct investment by its owner, Sheikh Mansour, as sponsorship income. City has always insisted it has not broken any regulations and denounced the stolen documents as “out-of-context materials” that were published as part of an “organized and clear attempt to damage the club’s reputation.”

City has spent millions of dollars defending itself since the allegations first emerged. Its lawyers are fighting against the league’s arbitration process, arguing that the club will not get a fair hearing, according to documents. City and the league did not immediately reply to a request for comment.

City is challenging the Premier League in Britain’s civil courts, where hearings have been held behind closed doors, and where publication of material related to the case has been kept confidential despite intense public interest in the case. It is not known what action the Premier League would take if it found City to have breached its rules. Penalties in its rule book include points deductions and fines.

City, backed by the billionaire brother of the crown prince of Abu Dhabi, one of the richest men in the world, waged a successful battle in 2020 when it won an appeal against a two-year ban from the Champions League after being found to have breached separate cost control rules by the European soccer governing body, UEFA. City won its case at the Switzerland-based Court of Arbitration after convincing judges that a time limit had elapsed on the evidence against it. The Premier League’s rules do not have similar deadlines.

City requires just one more victory to be sure of the English championship. It is also on a charge toward securing its first Champions League crown. It holds a 2-1 advantage over Paris St.-Germain, another Gulf-controlled club, before Tuesday night’s decisive second semifinal game at its own stadium.

The case is taking place against the backdrop of major scrutiny of owners in English soccer. A protest by fans of City’s crosstown rival, Manchester United, led to its game against Liverpool being postponed on Sunday after the two clubs joined City and three other English teams in signing up to a planned breakaway European competition. The plans were abandoned within 48 hours after a torrent of criticism and the threat of government action.

Still, City won plaudits after becoming the first of the rebel English clubs to announce it had backed away from the project.

City’s battle against the Premier League bears the hallmarks of its approach in the UEFA case. Before finding salvation through a technicality in the rules that set a five-year time limit on the infractions eligible for punishment, the club tried to have the case thrown out at the CAS before UEFA had even ruled.

City’s stance in the Premier League case is a second major recent assault on the league’s governance structures. The owner of Newcastle United started legal action last fall against the league after it failed to clear a sale to Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund.

City’s relationship with UEFA has strengthened significantly since it successfully appealed the Champions League ban. UEFA resisted appealing the CAS judgment even after Der Spiegel published new revelations that appeared to cast doubt on some of the evidence a senior City official provided to the court.

UEFA told The New York Times in a statement that it had sought legal opinion on the chance of appealing the CAS decision after Der Spiegel published new emails. “The clear view was that such an appeal would stand little chance of success in forcing CAS to rehear the case and on the slim chance it did, the chance of success at a second hearing was also limited. A similar view was also taken on the possible success of a prosecution under the UEFA disciplinary framework,” said UEFA.

Its president, Aleksander Ceferin, praised City personally, issuing a statement minutes after the team last month became the first to withdraw from the proposed breakaway competition.

While the superleague proposals continue to attract widespread criticism, those involved in the negotiations insist part of the rationale behind them was to cool rampant spending that has imperiled the futures of some of the elite clubs as they seek to keep up with teams backed by wealthy benefactors, particularly those controlled by the Gulf nation states.

Documents reviewed by The Times showed each team would have had to submit detailed financial information to financial auditors, as well as agree to rules forbidding owners from artificially inflating teams’ balance sheets. Penalties for breaches included a suspension or ban from the competition, as well as millions of dollars in fines.

City’s backers say existing rules have been designed to keep historically dominant clubs from facing competition from up-and-coming teams. Sheikh Mansour has plowed more than $1 billion into turning City into the dominant force in English soccer over much of the past decade. His largess has been spent on acquiring top executives, players and Pep Guardiola, the pre-eminent manager of his generation.

City has also spent millions on rejuvenating the deprived Manchester neighborhood where it plays its home games, building new facilities and creating jobs in an area that had suffered from high unemployment.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/04/sports/soccer/manchester-city-premier-league.html

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #13554 on: May 4, 2021, 03:46:48 pm »
Saviours.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13555 on: May 4, 2021, 03:47:29 pm »
Their fans weren't arsed about the competition when they were getting knocked out every year. Booing the anthem and everything. Presume they won't be watching tonight.

Offline Scottish-Don

• Maggie May, Kez, Kopbird, LFCMunkee and gerrardspetal in any order
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'Cause he's a dedicated follower of fashion
« Reply #13556 on: May 4, 2021, 03:57:58 pm »
So glad that Football has Manchester City, would fall to pieces without them.
Follow me on Twitter - @achtung_davie

Offline JRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13557 on: May 4, 2021, 05:18:33 pm »
Manchester City Battles Premier League Over Alleged Rule Breach
City, the Gulf-backed soccer team on the cusp of a fourth English Premier League title, is fighting an investigation over financial control rules.
By Tariq Panja

LONDON — Manchester City, the English soccer team that is on the cusp of winning the Premier League for the third time in four seasons, is involved in a secret legal battle with the league over whether it complied with financial rules as it surged to become one of the sport’s dominant forces.

The Premier League has been tight lipped since confirming in 2019 that it was looking into City’s finances a few months after the German news weekly Der Spiegel, citing internal club information, said the club had disguised direct investment by its owner, Sheikh Mansour, as sponsorship income. City has always insisted it has not broken any regulations and denounced the stolen documents as “out-of-context materials” that were published as part of an “organized and clear attempt to damage the club’s reputation.”

City has spent millions of dollars defending itself since the allegations first emerged. Its lawyers are fighting against the league’s arbitration process, arguing that the club will not get a fair hearing, according to documents. City and the league did not immediately reply to a request for comment.

City is challenging the Premier League in Britain’s civil courts, where hearings have been held behind closed doors, and where publication of material related to the case has been kept confidential despite intense public interest in the case. It is not known what action the Premier League would take if it found City to have breached its rules. Penalties in its rule book include points deductions and fines.

City, backed by the billionaire brother of the crown prince of Abu Dhabi, one of the richest men in the world, waged a successful battle in 2020 when it won an appeal against a two-year ban from the Champions League after being found to have breached separate cost control rules by the European soccer governing body, UEFA. City won its case at the Switzerland-based Court of Arbitration after convincing judges that a time limit had elapsed on the evidence against it. The Premier League’s rules do not have similar deadlines.

City requires just one more victory to be sure of the English championship. It is also on a charge toward securing its first Champions League crown. It holds a 2-1 advantage over Paris St.-Germain, another Gulf-controlled club, before Tuesday night’s decisive second semifinal game at its own stadium.

The case is taking place against the backdrop of major scrutiny of owners in English soccer. A protest by fans of City’s crosstown rival, Manchester United, led to its game against Liverpool being postponed on Sunday after the two clubs joined City and three other English teams in signing up to a planned breakaway European competition. The plans were abandoned within 48 hours after a torrent of criticism and the threat of government action.

Still, City won plaudits after becoming the first of the rebel English clubs to announce it had backed away from the project.

City’s battle against the Premier League bears the hallmarks of its approach in the UEFA case. Before finding salvation through a technicality in the rules that set a five-year time limit on the infractions eligible for punishment, the club tried to have the case thrown out at the CAS before UEFA had even ruled.

City’s stance in the Premier League case is a second major recent assault on the league’s governance structures. The owner of Newcastle United started legal action last fall against the league after it failed to clear a sale to Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund.

City’s relationship with UEFA has strengthened significantly since it successfully appealed the Champions League ban. UEFA resisted appealing the CAS judgment even after Der Spiegel published new revelations that appeared to cast doubt on some of the evidence a senior City official provided to the court.

UEFA told The New York Times in a statement that it had sought legal opinion on the chance of appealing the CAS decision after Der Spiegel published new emails. “The clear view was that such an appeal would stand little chance of success in forcing CAS to rehear the case and on the slim chance it did, the chance of success at a second hearing was also limited. A similar view was also taken on the possible success of a prosecution under the UEFA disciplinary framework,” said UEFA.

Its president, Aleksander Ceferin, praised City personally, issuing a statement minutes after the team last month became the first to withdraw from the proposed breakaway competition.

While the superleague proposals continue to attract widespread criticism, those involved in the negotiations insist part of the rationale behind them was to cool rampant spending that has imperiled the futures of some of the elite clubs as they seek to keep up with teams backed by wealthy benefactors, particularly those controlled by the Gulf nation states.

Documents reviewed by The Times showed each team would have had to submit detailed financial information to financial auditors, as well as agree to rules forbidding owners from artificially inflating teams’ balance sheets. Penalties for breaches included a suspension or ban from the competition, as well as millions of dollars in fines.

City’s backers say existing rules have been designed to keep historically dominant clubs from facing competition from up-and-coming teams. Sheikh Mansour has plowed more than $1 billion into turning City into the dominant force in English soccer over much of the past decade. His largess has been spent on acquiring top executives, players and Pep Guardiola, the pre-eminent manager of his generation.

City has also spent millions on rejuvenating the deprived Manchester neighborhood where it plays its home games, building new facilities and creating jobs in an area that had suffered from high unemployment.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/04/sports/soccer/manchester-city-premier-league.html
They are quite clearly dodgy as fuck. Hopefully this time the PL will actually do something about it.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13558 on: May 4, 2021, 05:25:27 pm »
They are quite clearly dodgy as fuck. Hopefully this time the PL will actually do something about it.

We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline koptommy93

• Legacy Fan
  • @tharris113
« Reply #13559 on: May 4, 2021, 06:02:12 pm »
I'd love to believe they'll be punished. They won't be though and they know it as well as we do.
I for one welcome our new insect overloads