Author Topic: Resident Evil 7  (Read 10837 times)

Offline DHKopper

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Resident Evil 7
« Reply #80 on: January 24, 2017, 08:37:49 pm »
Aye.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #81 on: January 25, 2017, 12:06:36 am »
Played an hour. Brutal, terrifying shit! Love it!

Feels like I've missed stuff already...hopefully get a chance to come back for it?

I almost glad I'm not playing this in VR....well my heart does anyway lol :o ;D :wave

Offline JustDan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: January 25, 2017, 12:24:03 am »
Love the atmosphere.

One of the things that has stood out for me is how there is noise everywhere.
Creaking floorboards, jangling of lights/chimes/etc, clanking of cans/chains, constant footsteps which make you convinced you're about to get jumped by someone/something.
.. what has really thrown me off is how even turning on the spot makes noise.
It really puts you in a constant state of paranoia... good shit :D

Offline DHKopper

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #83 on: January 25, 2017, 08:40:10 am »
Jumped at my own shadow a few times already and I'm playing 2D.  God have mercy on the hearts of those playing in 3D.

Offline Teapot

• Legacy Fan
  • Smile....It confuses people!!
« Reply #84 on: January 25, 2017, 10:27:26 am »
I wasn't going to buy this, im a big wussy.  After watching a few videos on youtube I think I will buy it, looks fantastic.  I'll pick it up on the way home from work!

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #85 on: January 25, 2017, 12:22:55 pm »
Brown pants definitely required

Offline SyukriJ

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • Out of darkness cometh light
« Reply #86 on: January 25, 2017, 02:24:55 pm »
I wasn't going to buy this, im a big wussy.  After watching a few videos on youtube I think I will buy it, looks fantastic.  I'll pick it up on the way home from work!
Do tell me how you're getting on. I am shit scared of horror stuffs... i'm okay with Zombies etc but this looks like horror on another level!
"One of the things I keep reminding players is that when you're lost in a fog you must stick together" - Bob Paisley

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: January 25, 2017, 03:00:24 pm »
At the moment it feels more like Texas Chainsaw Massacre than Night of the Living Dead but I'm more than sure that's going to change soon!

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #88 on: January 25, 2017, 03:14:37 pm »
think i've given up with playing in vr, just too intense for my liking
Spoiler
the dinner scene was just horrible, like titi said, more texas chainsaw massacre than any zombie flick, was proper flinching back when the fella was thrusting the knife at you, good job there was something solid behind me
[close]

will try and complete it normally then play through it again in vr once i know what's coming :D

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: January 25, 2017, 03:16:22 pm »
My problem with the VR is the motion sickness, I have no idea why I am getting it on this game, but it happens. I guess I haven't played VR for awhile as well, so just not used it.

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: January 25, 2017, 03:27:57 pm »
have you tried changing any settings? the default settings weren't bad for me anyway but there's one (can't remember which and too scared to put it back on) which i think was set to 2 as default which i lowered to 1, also set the movement to smooth instead of fixed turns

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: January 25, 2017, 03:29:00 pm »
have you tried changing any settings? the default settings weren't bad for me anyway but there's one (can't remember which and too scared to put it back on) which i think was set to 2 as default which i lowered to 1, also set the movement to smooth instead of fixed turns

Yeah I changed that one pretty quickly, I have it set to 2, might change it to 1 and see how it goes. I don't usually get motion sickness from walking and shooting games, unless it's Rigs.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: January 25, 2017, 06:26:33 pm »
There is definitely a tolerance level that you need to build up, some games more than others, but I find RE7 comfortable for the most part. It's a strange thing. I find that having the 30 degree turning works well, and some are saying to turn walking speed up as that helps, but haven't tried yet. Although one night playing the demo, I turned on smooth and immediately felt off enough to turn it off. On another night, I left smooth turning on and I was fine. Strange. I think sitting or standing has an effect on that somewhat. Either way, I don't get sick to the point where I have to throw the headset off. Only one game has done that, and it was some indy shovelware shite called World War Toons or some shit like that. It's got ramps in it like Quake 3 has, and whoever thought that would be a good idea to put in an online VR game needs a kick in the bollocks. As soon as I hit that ramp... holy good fuck, it was bad.

Do tell me how you're getting on. I am shit scared of horror stuffs... i'm okay with Zombies etc but this looks like horror on another level!
The ideal scenario, now that RE has been re-established, would be to bring back the old shambling zombies now that a single enemy caries a threat once again. It's perfectly set up to have a Resident Evil game re-introduce them in a future title, but it'll be 1st person and VR, otherwise don't bother. That's a dream concept of mine, even going as far back as playing the original when it first came out. I mean, imagine a VR-centric game where you use motion controllers to interact instead of a controller. Having to physically push a door open to peer through, only to see a zombie shamble past through the gap, and if it spots you, it lunges through the door after you. Errr, new kecks, please!

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: January 25, 2017, 06:30:02 pm »
think i've given up with playing in vr, just too intense for my liking
Spoiler
the dinner scene was just horrible, like titi said, more texas chainsaw massacre than any zombie flick, was proper flinching back when the fella was thrusting the knife at you, good job there was something solid behind me
[close]

will try and complete it normally then play through it again in vr once i know what's coming :D
Fanny. Get back in there.

Yeah, I realise I'm acting the big balls having not played it yet. I'll probably be the same.

Offline FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: January 25, 2017, 07:21:43 pm »
Fanny. Get back in there.

Yeah, I realise I'm acting the big balls having not played it yet. I'll probably be the same.

haha

Spoiler
the whole dinner scene, well that's if you want to call it dinner, more like a table full of guts & shite just freaked me out, don't know if you've played it yet but when the fella loses it and tries force feeding you and coming at you with the knife it just felt so real, the chair i was sat in ended up pushed up against a wall, think i'd have reacted differently if i'd just been playing normally and it wouldn't have bothered me, then there's the way he left the room, with a traditional fps camera i think they'd have had him walk round the other side of the table so he was always in view, instead he walks behind you and because your brain is tricked into thinking you're sat in that room it's really unnerving, especially with the way he'd been acting moments earlier, i could see him over my shoulder and was expecting him to take a couple of steps then suddenly turn and lose it again, proper weird feeling that i've never had before in a horror game
[close]

Offline aceface9

• Main Stander
  • Make Us Dream
« Reply #95 on: January 25, 2017, 11:59:51 pm »
Played 20 minutes or so and forced myself to take off the vr due to sickness. Really didn't want to because the game is great.  I've barely scratched the surface of it but I'm impressed so far.
"I wouldnt grace my one remaining eye with that inbred, bunch of silver spoon fed c*nts, smarmy,snobby , self important bunch of fucking wankers if my life depended on it. Fuck the wankers. There is a wedding down at St Faiths, that means more to me than these pricks. Get to fuck."
Sir Harvest Fields

Online Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: January 26, 2017, 12:17:23 am »
Fish77 just to let you know that spoilers come up in full text on us who are using the Tapatalk app.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: January 26, 2017, 12:25:06 am »
Played 20 minutes or so and forced myself to take off the vr due to sickness. Really didn't want to because the game is great.  I've barely scratched the surface of it but I'm impressed so far.

Good to know it's not just me. It's a pity because I usually spend 3-4 hours with a new game and lasted about 45min until I needed a break

Offline aceface9

• Main Stander
  • Make Us Dream
« Reply #98 on: January 26, 2017, 12:31:21 am »
Good to know it's not just me. It's a pity because I usually spend 3-4 hours with a new game and lasted about 45min until I needed a break

I got sick during the demo too so I was expecting/dreading it. I'm fine with other vr games but not re for some reason. Tempted to play "old school" with just 2d.  Hopefully it's like Macphisto says and there's a learning period.
"I wouldnt grace my one remaining eye with that inbred, bunch of silver spoon fed c*nts, smarmy,snobby , self important bunch of fucking wankers if my life depended on it. Fuck the wankers. There is a wedding down at St Faiths, that means more to me than these pricks. Get to fuck."
Sir Harvest Fields

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: January 26, 2017, 12:40:01 am »
I got sick during the demo too so I was expecting/dreading it. I'm fine with other vr games but not re for some reason. Tempted to play "old school" with just 2d.  Hopefully it's like Macphisto says and there's a learning period.

Yeah not sure exactly what is causing the sickness, I think it's the tension in the game as well. You're constantly on edge do the experience is tripled.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: January 26, 2017, 02:45:10 pm »
Ginger helps. Buy yourself a packet of Ginger Nuts and nibble away at one or two. Try eating one before playing, then after about 20-30 minutes, or at the first sign of discomfort, take a break and nibble another. I've found any kind of discomfort clears up within about 5-10 minutes and then I can just continue on with no bother. Playing this way isn't necessarily bad. You can stretch the experience out over a week or so, instead of days as it would normally take.

There's a number of reasons for motion sickness, but the main ones are always latency issues, or frames. The way PSVR works, it interpolates frames, so some games aren't true 120fps. Another is tracking, but then thats directly related to latency also, and the PSVR's tracking solution is sketchy at best. It works, but there will be issues with it. Try playing in a room as dark as possible, and also calibrate the headset. Saying all that, I used to get motion sick when playing certain FPS games, so it's not something that's entirely exclusive to VR either, but there's a certain adjustment to be made for it. I'm someone who gets sick just from car trips sometimes, but only in certain cars, in certain situations. It varies, and VR will be exactly the same.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 02:50:54 pm by Macphisto80 »

Offline FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: January 26, 2017, 04:11:29 pm »
Only sickness I've felt so far was seeing that fucking dinner table :puke2

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: January 26, 2017, 04:34:02 pm »
Will try the ginger thanks! I've been chewing gum while playing as well, this seems to stem it for awhile.

Offline scouser4eva

• but is Eva4Scouser? Wants an old willy
  • Legacy Fan
  • " god wanted west ham to win but gerrard said no "
« Reply #103 on: January 26, 2017, 04:51:38 pm »
Just finished it then took me 11 hours fantastic game 10/10 can't wait for the DLC!!

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: January 26, 2017, 07:47:35 pm »
Only sickness I've felt so far was seeing that fucking dinner table :puke2
Can't wait to see that bit. Like you say, it when things get up close and personal that really has a impact in VR. I near shit myself the other day watching a 360 Youtube video of Great White sharks swimming around you. I'd a feeling to check over my shoulder, and when I turned around, one was swimming at my face. The things are absolutely massive. I'd no idea how big they actually are. Terrifying, but cool as fuck. If you're viewing videos, make sure they are 3d. 2d ones are ok, but the difference in 3d compared to the 2d ones is night and day.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: January 26, 2017, 11:18:02 pm »
2nd try much better than the first, very little motion sickness, died twice lol

Offline JustDan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: January 27, 2017, 07:00:40 pm »
Resident Evil 7? Completed it mate.

Just finished it then took me 11 hours fantastic game 10/10 can't wait for the DLC!!
It took me like 15 hours I think.. I like to take as long as I can to make sure I don't miss a thing. Still managed to miss a bunch of those fucking bobbleheads & antique coins though.. & even a couple of files somehow :(

Enjoyed the game immensely.

Considering giving it a 2nd playthrough. Madhouse mode sounds pretty tough, but I'm tempted...

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: January 27, 2017, 08:30:37 pm »
One of the reviews I read said pretty much the same about the motion sickness but that was basically the games only bad point.

Offline DHKopper

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #108 on: January 28, 2017, 12:08:25 am »
I've played a bit more tonight and getting RE1 vibes bigtime from this.  I've never shit it so much since the first time I played the original Silent Hill.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: January 28, 2017, 12:15:12 am »
Can you play this without VR?

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: January 28, 2017, 12:26:19 am »
I'm playing on PC without my Vive :'( so yes, you can play without VR!

3 hours in now...

Spoiler
Fighting Jack for the umpteenth time...but now with added chainsaws! ;D ;D ;D
[close]

What a game! 8)

Offline DHKopper

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #111 on: January 28, 2017, 01:13:22 am »

Mate, it's bad enough in non VR mode.  Go for it.

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: January 28, 2017, 11:36:25 am »

Its not been made for VR, VR is just an option.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: January 28, 2017, 12:21:28 pm »
Go on play it in VR you know you want to!

Offline Alex Raisbeck

• Kopite
  • 'Arry Redknapp,baggy faced bell end bastard.
« Reply #114 on: January 28, 2017, 10:41:11 pm »
I've never been on edge playing a game as much as I am whilst playing this-I'm playing on standard PS4 and no VR so fuck knows how I'd cope with VR? I feel the same whilst playing this as when I had to fight Galatasaray fans (who had knives) whilst in a Tesco Express with a sack over my head.
"How many lives has Liverpool skipper? 'Tis a puzzle that's hard to unravel; Each game he plays is the game of his life''....

Offline Bangin Them In

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: January 29, 2017, 04:35:33 pm »
I've never been on edge playing a game as much as I am whilst playing this-I'm playing on standard PS4 and no VR so fuck knows how I'd cope with VR? I feel the same whilst playing this as when I had to fight Galatasaray fans (who had knives) whilst in a Tesco Express with a sack over my head.

Was this a thing back in the day ?

Feel like I've missed a meeting
A win for the Liverpool country

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: January 29, 2017, 05:32:35 pm »
Well i played the beginning hour in vr, it's pretty intense. I do want this re7 but think it'll be too much in VR so really 50/50 on it.

Anyone else played the beginning hour and this in VR, how would you compare the two?

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: January 29, 2017, 06:58:00 pm »
Played this at my mates house in VR last night, SWEET JUMPING JESUS, new underwear was almost required, very immersive.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #118 on: January 30, 2017, 12:02:12 am »
Staying clear of this topic in general because I don't want anything spoiled.

Got this on Friday, played it for the first time tonight. Fucking. Hell. You poor bastards using VR. I rarely get scared by films, television or games, but this is ridiculously intense. I've played up until the second save point and that felt like a good shift. Not exactly the kind of game you feel like sinking multiple hours into.

I'm liking - well not liking but you know what I mean - nearly everything about it so far. Looks the part, great attention to detail, nice dialogue which is I find is very rare in games and the atmosphere is, of course, incredibly immersive.

One slight gameplay related issue is the sluggish movement in combat. In a way I guess it's needed, because it adds to your feeling of helplessness. It's just I don't quite feel completely in control. Maybe that'll change as it progresses? If not, hopefully I get used to it.

Not much else to say, other than it's probably one of the most memorable intros to a game I can remember.

Offline 'Mondzz'

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: January 30, 2017, 07:30:45 am »
Picking this up after work. Hope it's just as good without the VR.
THOSE AREN'T FINGERS. THOSE ARE SCARF TASSELLS.