Author Topic: Drones - Anyone Bought One  (Read 9222 times)

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
Drones - Anyone Bought One
« on: September 3, 2015, 05:41:28 pm »
I have had the idea of getting one for a bit and they seem to be dropping in price considerably.

There seem to be loads on the market.

Has anyone bought one or has one at their place of work.

I have just watched this youtube vid of drone fails which is pretty amazing

some frightening. people flying drones in highly populated areas like Times Square and having it smash into a building then drop down on the pavement. loads of instant inversion, straight to ground fails, a surprising number hit actual people like an unsuspecting couple at their wedding vows (drone goes awol and slams into them)

pretty interesting viewing

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on with hope in your heart
Re: Drones - Anyone Bought One
« Reply #1 on: September 5, 2015, 08:43:50 pm »
The RC car/boat/plane/whatever for the modern age.

The only thing I'd buy one for is to be utter crap at flying it!
“It's impossible,” said Pride.  “It's risky,” said Experience.  “It's pointless,” said Reason.

“Give it a try,” whispered the Heart. - Ken-Obi

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: September 5, 2015, 08:56:54 pm »
No. I hear photographers are getting into them as you can get cool angles for pictures by flying them around.

Be good for scaring the cat. Can you use them indoors? Could I fly stuff around the house with one, like a remote controlled butler? That would be neat.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Hoenheim

• Legacy Fan
  • Lovely cushioned header for Gerrard...
« Reply #3 on: September 6, 2015, 02:55:14 pm »
No. I hear photographers are getting into them as you can get cool angles for pictures by flying them around.

Be good for scaring the cat. Can you use them indoors? Could I fly stuff around the house with one, like a remote controlled butler? That would be neat.

There are restaurants around the world that are trying to use the drones as waiters, if they are stable enough you could fly the plates  ;D
I love Emre Can more than both of my children. Fact

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #4 on: September 6, 2015, 04:36:34 pm »
There are restaurants around the world that are trying to use the drones as waiters, if they are stable enough you could fly the plates  ;D

Stable like this? https://youtu.be/w2itwFJCgFQ
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline macca007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: September 7, 2015, 06:11:33 pm »
I've purchased a unique one! The video is in the link but if you buy through that link you'll get 50 (dollars I think) knocked off the price

https://www.lily.camera/?ct-referral-code=AvAHTO7e
« Last Edit: September 7, 2015, 06:13:33 pm by macca007 »

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #6 on: September 8, 2015, 02:03:33 pm »
I've purchased a unique one! The video is in the link but if you buy through that link you'll get 50 (dollars I think) knocked off the price

that looks chuffing brilliant

have you got it yet ???

does it work as well as the promo vid promises

I read some reviews about one droid that basically said the drone did absolutely nothing it was supposed to do and basically crashed and smashed on its third flight or so

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #7 on: September 8, 2015, 02:07:08 pm »

the best one I heard was a couple of years ago. some guy up in the northern states would ship beer from a local store to guys who were ice fishing. they would call in and pay by credit card and he would ship beer by drone to lat long coords

i think the benefit being over a frozen lake there are no trees

there is even a vid

it was shut down by the flying agency here back then as it was illegal. I hoep its up and running now that the law has changed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmHwXf8JUOw

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: September 8, 2015, 04:32:08 pm »
*coughs*

I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #9 on: September 8, 2015, 05:45:08 pm »

That is fucking awesome.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline macca007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: September 9, 2015, 07:37:22 am »
that looks chuffing brilliant

have you got it yet ???

does it work as well as the promo vid promises

I read some reviews about one droid that basically said the drone did absolutely nothing it was supposed to do and basically crashed and smashed on its third flight or so

Fucking hope not as shipping only starts next year. Expecting to get it around April time as its still.in production .  I know its got not hit detection which is a problem though as you have to make sure you fly it in open spaces

Think it comes with a bit of decent warrenty so should get the money back if anything goes laughably wrong
« Last Edit: September 9, 2015, 07:39:43 am by macca007 »

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #11 on: September 9, 2015, 01:50:38 pm »

this answers the problem of alcohol blackouts ;D
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #12 on: September 9, 2015, 04:53:55 pm »
Fucking hope not as shipping only starts next year. Expecting to get it around April time as its still.in production .  I know its got not hit detection which is a problem though as you have to make sure you fly it in open spaces

Think it comes with a bit of decent warrenty so should get the money back if anything goes laughably wrong

cheers

please let me know how it works out

to my mind most of the fails i see on youtube seem to be tree related. also battery life seems to be an issue to make it actually stays aloft for a while

i love the tracker function and am really interested if real life functionality works as well as the promo vid

Offline macca007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: September 9, 2015, 06:13:36 pm »
cheers

please let me know how it works out

to my mind most of the fails i see on youtube seem to be tree related. also battery life seems to be an issue to make it actually stays aloft for a while

i love the tracker function and am really interested if real life functionality works as well as the promo vid

Due to making it compact battery life was never going to more. Most drones don't get much more than that anyway. Only problem is to make it waterproof it's completely sealed so unlike a lot of drones you can't replace the batteries. But I've got a portable battery that I could take in a back pack and plug it in when needed and it's meant to be a 2 hour charging time which is fairly reasonable

Apparently they are trying to put a video hit detection in the software at least so if its following it should not hit anything but it can lead which leaves the camera focused on you so you'd just have to be careful
« Last Edit: September 9, 2015, 06:16:01 pm by macca007 »

Offline has gone odd

• a tru-ro...I mean....red!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2015, 12:35:18 pm »
my ole man gave me his hubsan mini drone and I cant fathom it out at all. Have replaced all the blades and followed instructions to the letter but it still drifts about like a twat with almost no response to the controls. either you have the knack or don't it seems.
- all in my opinion of course -

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #15 on: December 9, 2016, 03:01:39 pm »
Superb pieces of kit.
Surely has to be a license to operate these soon,this scares the shit outta me.

Football-sized drone flown 20m from Heathrow-bound plane - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-38264696
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline macca007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2017, 09:55:46 am »
So after delay after delay I've got an email from the company that makes lily. They are ceasing to exist after struggling to get funding to carry on to the next stage.  Thankfully I'm getting a full refund as the previous orders money was always kept separate. Disappointed with it though

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2017, 01:32:56 pm »
So after delay after delay I've got an email from the company that makes lily. They are ceasing to exist after struggling to get funding to carry on to the next stage.  Thankfully I'm getting a full refund as the previous orders money was always kept separate. Disappointed with it though

Something seems a little fishy about that as they had $34m in pre-orders, so surely could easily secure short term funding to cover the production run for those orders.

At a guess they've either over promised on the tech and can't produce what they said, or they're going to sell on the tech for much bigger profits than producing the drones themselves.

Offline macca007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2017, 09:22:42 pm »
Something seems a little fishy about that as they had $34m in pre-orders, so surely could easily secure short term funding to cover the production run for those orders.

At a guess they've either over promised on the tech and can't produce what they said, or they're going to sell on the tech for much bigger profits than producing the drones themselves.

Doesn't help they've delayed that many times they gave competition chance to create their own versions.  There's a few more established workable drones with follow software installed now

Offline paul211b

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2017, 08:50:57 am »
Colleague at work just paid 1500 euros for a Mavik Pro drone.  He was showing us it yesterday have to say I am surprised how stable it was.  Range of 7 kilometers and  a speed upto 60kph. 4K filming.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2017, 03:13:51 pm »

Had any issues with it?

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/jan/16/selfie-drone-manufacturer-lily-camera-sued-over-allegations-misled-customers

Offline macca007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2017, 08:07:07 pm »
Had any issues with it?

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/jan/16/selfie-drone-manufacturer-lily-camera-sued-over-allegations-misled-customers

Nah mate I've had my refund and got a touch more than I gave them from what I remember.  Been 1 and half years since I ordered it tho

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2017, 10:21:29 am »
A friend (who's an affiliate of DJI) just got himself a Mavik for cost price. It's an incredible drone.  Nothing quite compares you for how small it is compared to the phantom 4.  Haven't seen his footage yet, but I'm already tempted to get one!

Offline Prelude no.5

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • op.23. Thanks for everything Rafa
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2017, 12:38:25 pm »
I got one last week but haven't managed to fly it yet due to high winds.

This would be my first drone and I'm actually a little bit scared of flying it over water. From what I've seen on Youtube there's a very visible drop in picture quality when compared to the P4 but that's a small price to pay considered how small and portable it is. I also realised that I have to learn some fundamentals of colour grading and correction for video since the footage straight out of the camera is a little flat.

Here's hoping that I'll get the hang of it soon enough.
"We gave the fans the pride. Again. We fight for the fans, we fight for the club and we fight for our players. Maybe he cannot understand this." ~ Rafa Benitez

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2017, 01:08:55 pm »
I got one last week but haven't managed to fly it yet due to high winds.

This would be my first drone and I'm actually a little bit scared of flying it over water. From what I've seen on Youtube there's a very visible drop in picture quality when compared to the P4 but that's a small price to pay considered how small and portable it is. I also realised that I have to learn some fundamentals of colour grading and correction for video since the footage straight out of the camera is a little flat.

Here's hoping that I'll get the hang of it soon enough.

For me, this would be a massive plus.

Offline Lenny88

• Kemlynite
  • YNWA
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2017, 08:41:51 am »
I bought one a few weeks back, was a bit pricey but its unbelievable the camera on it and the range it goes are amazing!

found it dead easy to fly as well with GPS! can just sit the remote down and it'll just hover in place even with fairly strong winds
Walk On..

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2017, 02:29:57 pm »
These look superb.

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/categories/Drones/products/DJI/Spark%20Drone%20in%20White-124845/Show.html?_td_pid=1&cm_mmc=td-_-affiliate_name-_-advert_id-_-236543

£469 with a 64gb card..probably get them cheaper if you scout around..defo on the wishlist.
Minor grumble would be the camera.

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2017, 04:28:52 pm »
Was watching Drone Racing on sky this morning. Was surprisingly good. It's the future I tell ya.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2017, 04:42:23 pm »
Not bought one though I will when they truly crack the small personal ones.

I did buy a black widow catapult and some nice heavy shot though.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound

Offline Prelude no.5

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • op.23. Thanks for everything Rafa
"We gave the fans the pride. Again. We fight for the fans, we fight for the club and we fight for our players. Maybe he cannot understand this." ~ Rafa Benitez

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2017, 06:17:48 pm »
That was how much before?

£469 was the cheapest prior.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2017, 09:59:03 am »
I expect we'll see some more drops come Black Friday and the like.

Offline macca007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2017, 10:42:03 am »
Have to keep my eye out for a dji mavic pro

Offline tinner777

• give me some sugar
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Drones
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2020, 01:56:17 pm »
hey,

anyone here into these??

My young fella, 13, is looking for a adult one, after spending a while using a DROCON Bugs 3

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DROCON-Brushless-Quadcopter-Beginners-Supports/dp/B073XHK9K6/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=drocon&qid=1605966756&sr=8-1

Looked for advice in other places, who have recommended this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07RRMPZ4L/?coliid=I23XARNDUBW6EZ&colid=3KZWAWWOBIQKQ&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

What do you lot think?

Offline R1col

• Main Stander
Re: Drones
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2020, 05:15:53 pm »
I have  a DJI Mavic pro 2. I would seriously look into the laws and regulations before even buying a drone. There is so much to it now and can easily find yourself being fined if not following the law.

Once you start looking into it all, if you follow the law and local bye laws on flying a drone, you will soon find there are not many places left that you can legally fly one... That all said, they are absolutely great fun to fly and make 4k photos and videos.

Offline tinner777

• give me some sugar
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2020, 05:45:21 pm »
hi R1col, I'm living on a farm, in the middle of Irish countryside, I'll be ok regarding the law. What do you think about the other drones?

Offline R1col

• Main Stander
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2020, 05:52:45 pm »
That would be my dream  :)

I started off with cheaper drones, good fun but very erratic. It really depends what you want one for. Just for fun or filming and taking photos. The quality and stabilisation built into the DJI will be much better, and it will be much easier to fly.

Watch lots of YouTube videos before deciding, decide on a what you want and watch as many videos as you can. They are so clever and you can have some amazing fun with them.

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #38 on: March 9, 2021, 10:44:03 pm »

This is fucking phenomenal!!! Amazing skill to have synced this all up in one flight.

https://www.twitter.com/jowyang/status/1369264820906692609

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2021, 09:13:22 pm »
This is fucking phenomenal!!! Amazing skill to have synced this all up in one flight.

https://www.twitter.com/jowyang/status/1369264820906692609

That is a fantastic bit of flying and very creative. Drones give great opportunities to people with a good filming mindset