Author Topic: Line of Duty  (Read 87298 times)

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
Re: Line of Duty
« Reply #1120 on: May 3, 2021, 07:18:42 pm »
At no point has the show made out that H is the man pulling all the strings. It was an assumption made by a lot of viewers and some of the hype around the show. AC12 have always thought there was a 'top guy' running the show but he and H were not necessarily synonymous. They left it ambiguous enough after cottons death to allow either way

They have allowed the hype to go that way though and the underwhelming thing about last night was the hype around the show made it out there'd be a big reveal but the show itself didn't commit to that

Edit sorry meant the 4th man, H and the top ocg have never been the same person but I think a lot of people watching the show expected it to be

The actors involved have repeatedly tweeted etc intimating there is an 'H' which was implied to be one person. The last 3 series have been keeping us all guessing who it is, let's not pretend otherwise. Why would Dot Cotton hold up his hand upon dying to say the number 4 if it wasn't just one other person?

I appreciate they're trying to make it realistic but they made a rod for their own back building it up and then they couldn't live up to people's theories. It was exactly the same with GOT. I think the social media aspect does this now where hard-core fans predict these brilliant things that people actually want to see and I think the creators inevitably see some of these and think 'we can't just give them what they've already come up with.'

What would have been a satisfying conclusion? Probably if Steve or Kate ended up as 'H' or heavily involved in corruption. It would have given most people the excitement they wanted. But then is a TV show designed to give the people what they want? Personally I think the writers have to think of a conclusion that will satisfy most of the viewers that have been loyal to the show for 9 years or so. The writers of GOT will forever be known for fucking up an outstanding show for example.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #1121 on: May 3, 2021, 10:31:13 pm »
The last two series have been an utter mess on the whole.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #1122 on: May 4, 2021, 10:49:05 am »

I thought this series had been really good up until the last two episodes and then it just went completely off the rails.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #1123 on: May 4, 2021, 10:49:52 am »

There are things you could point at there at less good but overall, the acting, writing and many terrific scenes in these two series are far superior to most other police dramas.

If you're saying they are an utter mess, what do you value as good, is every show you watch at the level of The Wire?
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #1124 on: May 4, 2021, 11:58:50 am »
Just glad Buckles got locked up for his crimes against acting in the end.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1125 on: May 4, 2021, 12:23:32 pm »
After that last episode the cells must be full of balaclava clad, gun toting OCG members and corrupt prison officers.  But still they can't get any closer to who runs the show.

And as for Jo Davidson during the epilogue scenes :lmao  Whoever said "Crime doesn't pay" was wrong.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #1126 on: May 4, 2021, 12:40:10 pm »
I just wish Osborne would have been taken down.

Not least because Owen Teale has a face I want to punch with a sledgehammer.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1127 on: May 4, 2021, 12:50:38 pm »

Not least because Owen Teale has a face I want to punch with a sledgehammer.

He must be top of the list for casting directors when the script calls for a right boorish twat.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #1128 on: May 4, 2021, 01:02:52 pm »
After that last episode the cells must be full of balaclava clad, gun toting OCG members and corrupt prison officers.  But still they can't get any closer to who runs the show.

And as for Jo Davidson during the epilogue scenes :lmao  Whoever said "Crime doesn't pay" was wrong.

Apparently, you get your choice of cottage, dog and lesbian from a little catalogue.

Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1129 on: May 4, 2021, 04:08:38 pm »
Apparently, you get your choice of cottage, dog and lesbian from a little catalogue.

:)

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1130 on: May 4, 2021, 04:10:32 pm »

In which case I’d like to report a murder I’ve just witnessed.

Offline RF

• Are we there yet?... is it open?... where are we?... what's that?...it's a lazy twat! Is my card marked?.. Yes it is?
  • Kopite
« Reply #1131 on: May 4, 2021, 06:38:52 pm »
Was good, but reckon Spooks still tops it.

Offline Port_vale_lad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1132 on: May 4, 2021, 07:58:55 pm »
Im only on series 2 at the moment, knew the latest series ended on sunday night and did everything in my power not to find out what happened, 8.30 am monday my phone tried to tell me how it ended,then dan walker and phillip fecking schofield did there level best to tell me, the news on my pc feed tried to tell me, the adverts on absolute radio tried to tell me, i knew everything by about 10.30 absolutely impossible not to know

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1133 on: May 4, 2021, 10:54:22 pm »
Im only on series 2 at the moment, knew the latest series ended on sunday night and did everything in my power not to find out what happened, 8.30 am monday my phone tried to tell me how it ended,then dan walker and phillip fecking schofield did there level best to tell me, the news on my pc feed tried to tell me, the adverts on absolute radio tried to tell me, i knew everything by about 10.30 absolutely impossible not to know

Honestly.. it was such a nothing ending that I don't think it will ruin your enjoyment of anything leading up to it at all. Just temper your expectations a little (a lot) and enjoy it for what it is!
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Online kopitenkw

• lemurphobic
  • Kopite
« Reply #1134 on: May 5, 2021, 11:40:29 am »
Spoiler
Like most people I was disappointed with the last episode on Sunday. I was expecting something dramatic to happen in the last few minutes, but sadly nothing much happened. Watched it again a second time last night and I actually enjoyed it more this time, knowing the ending and with my expectations lowered. It answered a lot of questions, but also left a few questions open. So the potential is there for a series 7, which I hope happens. Overall I would say it was a 7/10 episode. The trouble was I was expecting a 9.5/10 episode.

One thing that still puzzles me about Buckles being H / the 4th Man. When Jimmy Lakewell had his throat cut in prison a few episodes ago, Buckles was in the cell shaking big time and spilling his hot drink everywhere. Hardly the actions of a big criminal mastermind. At the very least he was only the communicator, passing on the instructions from the big cheese at the top of the OCG (Osborne? Carmichael? etc) or he is not H at all and is being forced / persuaded by the OCG to admit to being H.
[close]
« Last Edit: May 5, 2021, 11:47:58 am by kopitenkw »

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1135 on: May 5, 2021, 12:23:06 pm »
Spoiler
Like most people I was disappointed with the last episode on Sunday. I was expecting something dramatic to happen in the last few minutes, but sadly nothing much happened. Watched it again a second time last night and I actually enjoyed it more this time, knowing the ending and with my expectations lowered. It answered a lot of questions, but also left a few questions open. So the potential is there for a series 7, which I hope happens. Overall I would say it was a 7/10 episode. The trouble was I was expecting a 9.5/10 episode.

One thing that still puzzles me about Buckles being H / the 4th Man. When Jimmy Lakewell had his throat cut in prison a few episodes ago, Buckles was in the cell shaking big time and spilling his hot drink everywhere. Hardly the actions of a big criminal mastermind. At the very least he was only the communicator, passing on the instructions from the big cheese at the top of the OCG (Osborne? Carmichael? etc) or he is not H at all and is being forced / persuaded by the OCG to admit to being H.
[close]

Spoiler
I've been pondering that one... The thing with Buckells is that, like he said in his interview, he's one of those people that got involved in low level corruption for personal financial gain, but it has gradually escalated until he is out of his depth and he's giving out instructions for people to be killed. But because he's not actually doing the killing himself, he's one step removed from it... which is why he would have had no qualms about ordering the killing of Gail Vella or Kate. It probably doesn't even feel real to him - until he has to actually witness the killing close up...

Someone mentioned (can't remember if it was here or elsewhere) that by the end, he was in a similar position to William H Macy's character in Fargo, which I thought was a pretty astute observation. This idea of people getting drawn into the world of corruption until they're out of their depth is a lot more plausible than it all being the work of a Bond-style criminal mastermind.

It was also a very visible warning from the OCG(s) about what will happen to him if he crosses them, so of course he's going to be shitting himself. Tommy Hunter really was the top dog and they had no qualms about bumping him off. They've also previously bumped off Hilton, Dot, Maneet, Georgia Trotman, and Corbett, so killing police is no big deal to them either.
[close]

Online gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #1136 on: May 5, 2021, 12:25:16 pm »
Spoiler
How did he get the forged transfer form for Davidson in place?
[close]
AHA!

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1137 on: May 5, 2021, 03:45:31 pm »
That was like Game Of Thrones all over again.

Jesus fucking Christ get a grip. The final season of GoT was so bad that after it no one ever admits they ever liked the show and no one in the right minds would consider watching it again (certainly past the point where the GRRM books got to which is when it started turning to utter shit). GoT was a cluster fuck on an entirely different plane of reality from even the Dexter finale which had set a high bar.

I liked the low-key LoD finale - I hate most shows constantly having to one-up themselves. Even Breaking Bad came dangerously close to jumping the shark when Walter turned full A-team with his machine gun contraption but it still just about stayed on the right side of credulity.

LoD ended up in a similar position as to why GRRM stopped writing GoT books - they had very little room to maneuver and the H reveal was almost the only person who made sense. GRRM is stuck because he can't find a solution that makes sense for Dany to bother coming to Westeros.

Spoiler
It would have been easy to kill off one of the main characters for a talking point. It would have been easy to drop in a mustache twirling mastermind behind it all but who we had never seen before and therefore held no weight. Buckles only ended up the main man because the others 3 got killed and was the only sensible choice.
[close]

I'm not saying it was perfect, and the show is not what it was before Dot died, but S6 was IMO definately better than S5.

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #1138 on: May 5, 2021, 06:01:03 pm »
The story is not over so it ended as it did, for me H is still at large and S7 is on the way, plus is Operation Lighthouse real just like Pear and Lime Tree?
Y.N.W.A.

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1139 on: May 5, 2021, 08:02:33 pm »
Jesus fucking Christ get a grip. The final season of GoT was so bad that after it no one ever admits they ever liked the show and no one in the right minds would consider watching it again (certainly past the point where the GRRM books got to which is when it started turning to utter shit). GoT was a cluster fuck on an entirely different plane of reality from even the Dexter finale which had set a high bar.

I liked the low-key LoD finale - I hate most shows constantly having to one-up themselves. Even Breaking Bad came dangerously close to jumping the shark when Walter turned full A-team with his machine gun contraption but it still just about stayed on the right side of credulity.

LoD ended up in a similar position as to why GRRM stopped writing GoT books - they had very little room to maneuver and the H reveal was almost the only person who made sense. GRRM is stuck because he can't find a solution that makes sense for Dany to bother coming to Westeros.

Spoiler
It would have been easy to kill off one of the main characters for a talking point. It would have been easy to drop in a mustache twirling mastermind behind it all but who we had never seen before and therefore held no weight. Buckles only ended up the main man because the others 3 got killed and was the only sensible choice.
[close]

I'm not saying it was perfect, and the show is not what it was before Dot died, but S6 was IMO definately better than S5.

Mother of God.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #1140 on: May 5, 2021, 08:15:52 pm »
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Musketeer Gripweed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1141 on: May 5, 2021, 08:40:13 pm »
The story is not over so it ended as it did, for me H is still at large and S7 is on the way, plus is Operation Lighthouse real just like Pear and Lime Tree?

Of course Buckells isn't H. Someone else higher than him orchestrated his move into the same cell as Lakewell. Someone else got him promoted above his station and someone else got him in charge of the major criime squad.

There must also be people high up in the prison service working for the OCG, but no-one seems to be interested in investigating that angle for some reason.

And yeah, I do know it's only a television programme.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #1142 on: May 5, 2021, 08:48:54 pm »
Of course Buckells isn't H. Someone else higher than him orchestrated his move into the same cell as Lakewell. Someone else got him promoted above his station and someone else got him in charge of the major criime squad.

There must also be people high up in the prison service working for the OCG, but no-one seems to be interested in investigating that angle for some reason.

And yeah, I do know it's only a television programme.

Oh you're so nice, thanks.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1143 on: May 8, 2021, 03:02:22 pm »
Binged this over the last few weeks and up to date this morning. Great show, but that last series was a bit shit. Last 2 episodes especially were a bit of a mess and nowhere near the quality of previous series.
Hopefully they wrap everything up with 1 more and leave it there.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Online Phineus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1144 on: May 8, 2021, 04:58:17 pm »
Yeah I agree... I’m not sure why it was so rushed to be honest. The viewing figures are massive so surely they’d get another series commissioned?

I saw the writer was justifying the finale on Twitter other day, kinda says it all.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1145 on: May 9, 2021, 01:20:09 pm »
Mercurio is on this explaining the last ep. I haven't listed yet.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p09gftky

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1146 on: May 9, 2021, 02:40:20 pm »
Spoiler
I've been pondering that one... The thing with Buckells is that, like he said in his interview, he's one of those people that got involved in low level corruption for personal financial gain, but it has gradually escalated until he is out of his depth and he's giving out instructions for people to be killed. But because he's not actually doing the killing himself, he's one step removed from it... which is why he would have had no qualms about ordering the killing of Gail Vella or Kate. It probably doesn't even feel real to him - until he has to actually witness the killing close up...

Someone mentioned (can't remember if it was here or elsewhere) that by the end, he was in a similar position to William H Macy's character in Fargo, which I thought was a pretty astute observation. This idea of people getting drawn into the world of corruption until they're out of their depth is a lot more plausible than it all being the work of a Bond-style criminal mastermind.

It was also a very visible warning from the OCG(s) about what will happen to him if he crosses them, so of course he's going to be shitting himself. Tommy Hunter really was the top dog and they had no qualms about bumping him off. They've also previously bumped off Hilton, Dot, Maneet, Georgia Trotman, and Corbett, so killing police is no big deal to them either.
[close]

Spoiler
They mentioned about 3 times in the last 2 episodes that Tommy hunter was at the heart of the OCG and since then they've just been a few different gangs. Once they'd backed themselves into a corner after that daft dot cotton dying scene they've left it open that either H was the most corrupt police officer or just another corrupt middle man. The hype got out of control though. Ultimately the show wasn't really about the crime gangs but about the police that got involved. We basically learnt nothing about any of the OCG except a bit about hunter when they showed how Denton got involved (which was shoehorned into a flashback?) and John Corbett who of course was a police officer. Still think the premise of the ending was good but the last few episodes were a bit scattergun
[close]
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1147 on: May 9, 2021, 03:40:44 pm »
Binged this over the last few weeks and up to date this morning. Great show, but that last series was a bit shit. Last 2 episodes especially were a bit of a mess and nowhere near the quality of previous series.
Hopefully they wrap everything up with 1 more and leave it there.

I won't bother watching, wish I'd not wasted my time on this last series, the quality had dropped and the last two episodes where just what the fuck?
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline tommy LFC

• Despite his sophistication, intelligence, wit, charm and extraordinary good looks, nobody wanted to give him one...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • VAR is shite.
« Reply #1148 on: May 9, 2021, 04:58:59 pm »
I quite like the ending. It shows that corruption is not always an evil mastermind, it can be anyone.

Although it is set up perfectly for AC-12 to get the band back together in a couple of years to go and get the obvious big fish.
Let us never forget Rafael Benitez and what he did for us. A fighter full of guts and passion. A gentleman full of class and dignity. A football manager full of intelligence and pure genius. A Legend.
Adios Rafa, buena suerte.

Some people say I'm a dreamer...

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1149 on: May 10, 2021, 12:25:26 am »

Online Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #1150 on: May 10, 2021, 12:45:25 am »
Didn’t think much of last night’s episode.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1151 on: May 10, 2021, 10:21:51 am »
Didn’t think much of last night’s episode.

Can't believe Dominic West was H.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #1153 on: May 10, 2021, 04:28:01 pm »
Was good, but reckon Spooks still tops it.

Spooks is boss.
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Online Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #1154 on: May 16, 2021, 09:54:44 pm »
Watched this on YouTube from Comic Relief, made me chuckle

https://youtu.be/LG36jUN88mQ

Online Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #1155 on: July 18, 2021, 09:21:17 pm »
Just binged the latest season, probably better than season 5 with a tidier ending but Stephen Graham is so good that it still sits in last place for me.

Ranking the seasons:

They should probably bin it or find someway to scale back a final season. More interested in another Bodyguard.
:D

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #1156 on: November 2, 2021, 02:48:25 pm »
Just binged all the series, and as badly as Osbourne needs a punching, that Carmichael is the one who did my tits in and made my skin crawl.

Spoiler
I also can't see it ending there. Why would James Nesbitt sit for head shots and photos from Spain and otherwise not play a part? My little theory is that he was the copper in Spain with the balaclava on reporting that Thurwell and his wife were identified as the dead bodies. He's the 4th Man and will headline Series 7. I'm sure this has been guessed already by loads of people, but I haven't backread very far yet.

I didn't think the last series was that bad, other than Fairbanks pointlessly sitting there looking gobsmacked and taking his glasses off and putting his glasses on for the thousandth time. I was caught up in the momentum of watching all of them though, so maybe it was as awful as everyone thinks.
[close]
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #1157 on: December 18, 2021, 11:39:38 pm »

'Met Police: Downing Street Christmas Party' - a special; sort of...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/9Y18CrgFdh4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/9Y18CrgFdh4</a>
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #1158 on: December 18, 2021, 11:46:48 pm »
'Met Police: Downing Street Christmas Party' - a special; sort of...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/9Y18CrgFdh4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/9Y18CrgFdh4</a>

Oh that's excellent stuff!
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1159 on: December 19, 2021, 09:43:25 pm »
Fantastic. ;D
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."