Author Topic: Xbox  (Read 307243 times)

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: XBOX 'Durango' Thread
« Reply #80 on: April 7, 2013, 08:38:54 pm »
they'll come out and say it doesn't require online

then when people are cheering they'll drop some bombshell like  you must sub to gold to play it :)
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: April 7, 2013, 08:57:10 pm »
Thurott also believes that the Nextbox could cost $500.
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #82 on: April 7, 2013, 08:58:10 pm »
I believe this is called third console arrogance. :)
:D

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: April 7, 2013, 09:02:29 pm »
who will they blame when it tanks?

they can't blame piracy  if it's always on :)
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: April 7, 2013, 09:17:30 pm »
If true. Just wow. The whole windows 8 integration isn't working either. It hasn't translated to phones very well, Samsung are dropping it and focusing on android. I don't think the OS as a whole is doing good.

It sounds shit anyway. Going off the leaks for both 720 and ps4 from the likes or Eurogamer, ps4 came out on top spec wise, that was before the 8gb gddr5 announcement. Throw in first party studio's and already the ps4 was looking down decent. Now ms just go and hand the initiative to Sony even further. Okay.

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
« Reply #85 on: April 7, 2013, 10:04:07 pm »
That guy also reckons no BC and you'll need to buy a budget xbox 360 for $99 to play your old games......

Apparently Microsoft is launching a 99$ Xbox 360 codenamed "Stingray" this November alongside of the Next Xbox.
 According to Paul this is because the next Xbox isn't going to offer backwards compatibility for 360 games.

MS really need to hit it out the park on the reveal. Let's be honest, not one 'good' point about the nextbox has come out. Slightly suspicious.

Offline Thush

• Spawwow, Tit. Anal Chat is "Equidistant between chit-chat and analysis"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's pronounced "Toosh"
« Reply #86 on: April 7, 2013, 10:07:33 pm »
That guy also reckons no BC and you'll need to buy a budget xbox 360 for $99 to play your old games......

Or, you know, just keep your existing 360. :)

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: April 7, 2013, 10:37:50 pm »
no backwards compatibility isn't a big shock as the 360 is powerpc and the new one will be x86
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: April 8, 2013, 05:38:26 am »
Third console curse really looks to be a real thing.
« Last Edit: April 8, 2013, 05:41:25 am by Malaysian Kopite »

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #89 on: April 8, 2013, 05:45:15 am »
You gotta think if the PS3 was Sony's first entry into the console market it would have also been their last. The fanbois kept it going and gave them a chance to put things right.

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
« Reply #90 on: April 8, 2013, 08:33:19 am »
Or, you know, just keep your existing 360. :)

I'm guessing this stingray is going to be a small box. With the way MS are pushing unified software architecture too, I'm guessing it may need different specs to operate. While existing disks and hard copies will be fine for the current 360, there's no thought yet on what happens with XBLA games - they may have to be re-coded to be compatible on 360 and Durango.

You gotta think if the PS3 was Sony's first entry into the console market it would have also been their last. The fanbois kept it going and gave them a chance to put things right.

Could say the same with Windows phone and MS - this constant out of support issue two generations in is stupid. Besides the PS3 is a good console, it took time to get there now but the gap has shrunk to all but negligible. Looking at the two threads going on exclusive games for each platform, it's easy to see who is out in front.

The problem MS has is that a lot of multi plat games looked better on 360 because of XNA and easy dev tools. Most 360 fanboys are all about the cross platform multiplayer games anyway (Fifa/Cod being two shining examples). Gears looks like it has wrapped itself up nicely and Halo just needs to die. Sony have wrapped up some really nice exclusives under Microsoft's nose as well. They really need to start releasing some 'positive' info about this console. Basically they've just surrendered most of their trump cards.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: April 8, 2013, 11:43:12 am »
Xbox 720 announce May 21, out November claims tech blogger – rumour

Xbox 720 will be officially unveiled on May 21 and will retail in November, according to veteran tech blogger Paul Thurrott. Word has it the device will simply be called ‘Xbox’ and was originally intended to launch as two separate versions until one was scrapped.

Speaking on the latest What the Tech podcast, Thurrott laid down some rather bold claims about Microsoft’s new rig, and it’s not clear where exactly this information is coming from, so please do remain suspicious, take a pinch of salt and treat this as rumour only for now.

NeoGAF has a full transcript of the chat, but I’ve hand-picked the juicy bits below.

On the cancelled Xbox 720 model:
“The next Xbox is code-named Durango. And we have talked for a while about this notion that there might be another version of the Xbox that was just aimed at entertainment—a non-gaming device. That device was code-named ‘Yumo’ and they’re not making it. They may make one in the future, but it’s not happening this year.”

On the Xbox 720 price:
“Durango is going to be expensive [laughs], you know $500, $300 for the subscription model, that kind of thing, but you know, Blu-ray, blah blah blah, but the thing that interest me, going back and looking at some of the stuff I got a long time ago, it actually says ‘must be internet-connected to use’ in the notes. And that’s all I have, but it does say that.”

On the Xbox 720 announcement:
“Originally, they were going to announce this thing in April 24, now they’re going to announce it May 21. We know there are events occuring this year where we’re going to learn more about Durango.”

On the release date, pre-E3 showings:
“Early November, yeah. E3 is going to occur. BUILD is going to occur in San Francisco in June when they’re going to talk about the developer story because it’s a Windows 8 device. It’s going to have the same, or basically the same, developer tools and developer APIs and all that kind of stuff.

“So I think there’s a lot information to come, but I look at all this stuff that I’ve seen about Durango and I think, ‘it’s all positive.’ I don’t really see any bad news here at all. Like to me, everything I’ve seen about this is really positive.

“It’s amazing to me that, based on like no information at all, everyone is like freaking out about everything. Aside from this online thing, by the way, the number one question I’ve gotten from people is, ‘What does it look like?’ Who gives a shit what it looks like?

“I’ve actually heard from, by the way not one or two people, several people who’ve said, ‘based on what I’ve seen, Sony is going to blow them away.’ Based on what you’ve seen? You’ve seen nothing. What are you talking about? No, but you’ve seen literally nothing from Microsoft.”

On Microsoft’s new approach to the industry:
“The problem Microsoft has has nothing to do with Sony or Nintendo anymore, it’s Roku and AppleTV. The market for hardcore video games, the market of people will always buy the next Gears of War game, the next Halo game, the next Call of Duty game, it’s fairly finite. It’s a decent market, yada yada yada, it’s not the market for tablets, it’s not the market for smartphones.”

Well, well. What do you make of that then? Let us know below.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/04/08/xbox-720-announce-may-21-out-november-claims-tech-blogger-rumour/

Offline Paul-LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: April 8, 2013, 12:21:21 pm »
So then, the rumours:

- Always online
- Can't lose internet connection for longer than 3 minutes or you get kicked out of the game you're playing
- $500
- $300 + subscription on contract
- No backwards compatibility
- May block used/preowned games

They have to announce something good about it soon... right?

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: April 8, 2013, 12:24:37 pm »
500$ would probably translate to 500 euro's/pounds in Europe, right?

Offline bailey90

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #94 on: April 8, 2013, 12:27:51 pm »
500$ would probably translate to 500 euro's/pounds in Europe, right?

Think it would be closer to 350 ish.
Twitter: @Bailey_90

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: April 8, 2013, 12:29:46 pm »
So then, the rumours:

- Always online
- Can't lose internet connection for longer than 3 minutes or you get kicked out of the game you're playing
- $500
- $300 + subscription on contract
- No backwards compatibility
- May block used/preowned games

They have to announce something good about it soon... right?

Didn't you hear, all of that stuff is good.

Somehow
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Paul-LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: April 8, 2013, 12:41:38 pm »
Didn't you hear, all of that stuff is good.

Somehow
;D

Ridiculous that he can claim there's "nothing bad" in that set of rumours. For starters look how $599 worked out for Sony, and although it's $99 cheaper, in this economy I can't see $500 being very attractive to anyone except the most hardcore of fans.

As for seeing nothing wrong with the always online stuff, it might be fine for him in his always connected world with his seven laptops, five tablets and sixteen phones, but try seeing the reaction of anyone whose internet isn't 100% perfect when they're half way through a level in single player and get kicked out because oops, your internet just went off. No game for you. Hope you like that monthly fee you're still paying us for the console you can't use right now, though!

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: April 8, 2013, 01:09:09 pm »
they will have limited supplies of the consoles to start with, so charge $500 and they'll still all sell out, then when your next shipment arrives drop the price to 450
STFU and agree with me.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: April 8, 2013, 01:10:11 pm »
i actually cancelled my xbox live last night :)

i'm going to claim it's in reaction to this, it's not of course, i'm just not using it anymore
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Newman96

• Look into his eyes. Pure evil.
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #99 on: April 8, 2013, 01:59:51 pm »
i actually cancelled my xbox live last night :)

i'm going to claim it's in reaction to this, it's not of course, i'm just not using it anymore
Been the same lately, was going to renew but all I use it for is party chat!

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #100 on: April 8, 2013, 02:35:50 pm »
My Xbox has been banned for years.  :D

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: April 8, 2013, 02:48:37 pm »
My Xbox has been banned for years.  :D
Played it online while modded?

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #102 on: April 8, 2013, 02:51:32 pm »
Played it online while modded?

Can't remember specifically playing online but it was modded yeah, ban hammer 09 got me.

In the loft collecting dust now, wonder if I could whack a new hard drive on top.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: April 8, 2013, 03:08:03 pm »
Can't remember specifically playing online but it was modded yeah, ban hammer 09 got me.

In the loft collecting dust now, wonder if I could whack a new hard drive on top.
Has it been bricked?

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: April 8, 2013, 04:08:25 pm »
The following is a post from Yusuf Mehdi, Corporate Vice President of Marketing, Strategy and Business for the Interactive Entertainment Business at Microsoft.

Today, Microsoft and Ericsson announced a definitive agreement for Ericsson to acquire Mediaroom, the number one IPTV platform deployed by TV operators around the world. This acquisition is mutually beneficial and strategically aligned for both parties. Ericsson will continue to invest in the growth and success of Mediaroom to the benefit of customers, employees, and the industry. It allows Microsoft to commit 100 percent of its focus on consumer TV strategy with Xbox.

We are proud of the world-class engineering and business achievements within Mediaroom. They have a rich history of driving innovation in IPTV. As early pioneers, they built the infrastructure to stream video on limited bandwidth, and today they enable multiscreen entertainment experiences for pay TV subscribers. Mediaroom has contributed to the evolution of TV and powers 22 million set-top boxes today in 11 million subscriber households.

With the sale of Mediaroom, Microsoft is dedicating all TV resources to Xbox in a continued mission to make it the premium entertainment service that delivers all the games and entertainment consumers want – whether on a console, phone, PC or tablet. And with 76 million Xbox 360 consoles around the world with 46 million Xbox LIVE members, it is a mission that gets us out of bed in the morning.

It is not a mission that we can achieve alone. We want to partner with the industry to deliver the next wave of innovation in games and consumer entertainment. We will partner with content creators, studios, labels, networks, content aggregators, operators and distributors to make this happen. We believe the future of home entertainment is one where TV becomes more simple, tailored and intelligent. We believe the best is yet to come for this industry.

Our vision and energy for the future of entertainment is more focused than ever. Stay tuned.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/microsoft_blog/archive/2013/04/08/mediaroom-and-our-tv-journey.aspx

It's also interesting to note that according to that article, 30 million 360 consoles are not connected to Xbox Live.

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #105 on: April 8, 2013, 04:11:44 pm »
The number is probably closer to 20 million, considering people replacing broken and banned 360s.

And again that talks about LIVE members, rather than how many 360s are actually connected to the internet.

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #106 on: April 8, 2013, 04:12:50 pm »
Has it been bricked?

No they just ban your account and lock the hard drive, I assume you could put a new hard drive in and make a new account? Might be wrong though. Can only play offline games on it otherwise and there are no exclusives there I'm interested in.

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #107 on: April 8, 2013, 04:14:42 pm »

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: April 8, 2013, 04:39:46 pm »
Get this guy ^ with his old news.
STFU and agree with me.

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
« Reply #109 on: April 8, 2013, 05:11:39 pm »

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: April 8, 2013, 05:49:02 pm »
the thing about if MS go into the media side of things as well is that you can be sure it'll be a walled garden approach like apple

use our media on our machines and no other machine
STFU and agree with me.

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
« Reply #111 on: April 8, 2013, 06:20:12 pm »
Yep, I think that's what they're hoping will win them brand loyalty - oh no my gamertag and content etc. Always on makes more sense if it for example replaces your V+ or Sky+ box as well. I think it's a gamble. They're depending on brand loyalty for this next gen and who knows, it may prove to be a masterstroke when it all comes together but gamers will go where the games are......

With regards to iOS and Apple I think that's exactly what they want especially with this windows blue update. You couldn't complain if the unification happened organically but they are adamant in pushing it through as soon as possible. Plus when you also factor into competing with Sony film studios and Syco.......I just can't see where Microsoft is tying all the content down (apart from Sky). They'll need deals with ISP's to provide their set top boxes which will be difficult for a traditionally software oriented company to pull off. Sure they sub contract it out but to what purpose?

I think right now the difference in strategy couldn't be larger. With Halo a decade old and looking tired after five this-gen iterations, a completely ruined Fable and wrapped up GoW, I just can't see them approaching anything like the first party library and exclusives Sony are boasting.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: April 8, 2013, 06:28:10 pm »
Okay im gonna say......it's not a games console anymore, really...

Looks like its a jack of all trades. Everything linked through windows.

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: April 8, 2013, 06:38:39 pm »
I have already decided I am getting a PS4. Had enough of Xbox and paying online ect and reading these things doesnt make me want to get it.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: April 8, 2013, 08:30:00 pm »
Get this guy ^ with his old news.
;D

I think MS aren't pleased with their profit margin's for their Xbox division. According to an interview with a Microsoft employee I read a few months ago, Microsoft never intended to make consoles and wanted to support PC gaming instead. The problem was with the original Playstation's dominance they were afraid that PC gaming was starting to lose out and/or they wanted a piece of the pie. I think they're seeing this as more trouble than its worth especially after having spent a billion dollars to try and rectify the RROD issue. They surely realise they're not going to be able to compete against Sony in terms of first party games and I believe are going to make it media centric and market it as a high end PC box with some extra cool features(mostly using Kinect 2.0). Core gamers will just make up a small part of that. We'll still probably see Halo, Gears, Forza, etc and those games itself should sell more than 10 million 720 units. We might even see those games ported to the PC after a couple of years.

Of course I could be completely wrong. Lets see how it goes.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: April 8, 2013, 08:55:36 pm »
MS have been nothing short of an utter disgrace for PC gaming in the last 5 or more years
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #116 on: April 8, 2013, 11:02:56 pm »
This thread would at the bottom of the list and 2 pages smaller if these rumors weren't 'leaked'.

Clever Microsoft ;)

Offline Paul-LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: April 9, 2013, 12:54:51 pm »

Don't know if that gif's looping for some reason. If not: http://i.minus.com/iyRIUE23SSGdJ.gif
« Last Edit: April 9, 2013, 12:57:22 pm by Paul-LFC »

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
« Reply #118 on: April 9, 2013, 04:35:59 pm »
To be honest I don't actually care about always-online apart from when I go away and take the console with me. That's the only disadvantage it would give me as my PS3 is plugged in with autoupdate as well (apart from when we nip out to Wales etc.)

What's interesting though is how it will integrate with online gaming and cheats who mess with their connections. If the game pauses until connection is re-established then what ablut the innocent party?

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: April 9, 2013, 05:07:36 pm »
you never lose your internet connection
STFU and agree with me.