Author Topic: Xbox  (Read 307365 times)

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
Re: XBOX 'Durango' Thread
« Reply #160 on: April 17, 2013, 05:55:33 am »
I saw that and as much as I hope it happens and wanted to post it there's really absolutely nothing to back it up.
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
« Reply #161 on: April 17, 2013, 08:18:37 am »
Why would they stick a mobile OS specifically for ARM when it's going to have an Intel/Nvidia core? I call bullshit on that 'anonymous source', although it sounds plausible to run on stingray and makes more sense. Maybe they just got mixed up.

I'm not too keen where both companies seem to be going with advertising though. MS expanding Nuads and Sony with their various advert patents. If it's organic I don't have a problem (i.e. coke cans in Fallout, McNasty's advertising boards in footy games, Bieber posters in rooms in Last of Us etc.) but I can't be arsed with specific adverts or like on youtube you have to preyy triangle or Y to skip (or even worse shout McNasty's or wave your hand).

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: April 17, 2013, 05:02:52 pm »
my take from that article was that they'd be using the desktop version of windows 8, this is also on tablet with the pro series, i think when they said "like" the tablet RT version that's what they must have meant

it makes no sense to base it on RT
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: April 22, 2013, 11:14:07 pm »
and tomorrow we'll see a story stating the opposite

personally i think these sites are just making up stories to drive people to their sites
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: April 23, 2013, 03:59:23 am »
and tomorrow we'll see a story stating the opposite

personally i think these sites are just making up stories to drive people to their sites
Can't wait for the reveal. Crazy amount of conflicting reports out there.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline S.Red please

• SerbianRed ;)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Penny Lane there is a barber showing photographs
    • HFSG
« Reply #166 on: April 23, 2013, 03:13:06 pm »
When is the reveal?
Justice for the 97

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: April 23, 2013, 03:22:40 pm »

Online Working Class Hen-Pecked Hero

• Is something to be...Lives at 999 Letsby Avenue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: April 24, 2013, 08:41:15 am »
I'm telling you, Bowie died and it's all gone to fuck.

Offline -Nay-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: April 24, 2013, 06:08:15 pm »

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: April 24, 2013, 06:13:58 pm »
5pm UK time
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: April 24, 2013, 06:45:12 pm »
So that's the day the ps4 wins eh

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: April 24, 2013, 06:54:09 pm »
So that's the day the ps4 wins eh

;D

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: April 24, 2013, 08:17:36 pm »
Geoff Keighley has confirmed that the Durango event will be 60 minutes long.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #174 on: April 24, 2013, 10:00:12 pm »
Although it may finish after 40 minutes if a ring of red lights appears on the stage.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline andymanlfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
XBOX 'Durango' Thread
« Reply #175 on: April 24, 2013, 10:07:38 pm »
Although it may finish after 40 minutes if a ring of red lights appears on the stage.

:D made me smile.
"The club was great, the people were great and the people from Liverpool - the text messages, the phone calls, the emails, all the tweets I had on my Twitter account - it's unbelievable how much respect they showed me and it's also a bit emotional" - Dirk Kuyt

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #176 on: April 24, 2013, 10:20:23 pm »

But if the internet drops it could go on well past an hour.
:D

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: April 25, 2013, 03:56:23 am »
But if the internet drops it could go on well past an hour.
;D

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: April 25, 2013, 08:12:12 am »

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: April 25, 2013, 08:30:28 am »
NeoGAF ITK has claimed that Durango is getting a huge exclusive game from EA that isn't BF4 , Dragon Age 3 or Mass Effect 4.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: April 25, 2013, 09:04:39 am »
NeoGAF ITK has claimed that Durango is getting a huge exclusive game from EA that isn't BF4 , Dragon Age 3 or Mass Effect 4.

Or FIFA. Surely.

It's Robson Green's Extreme Angling 2014! Or Oscar Pistorious - Blade Runner

or perhaps Sim City to go with the always online...
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: April 25, 2013, 09:06:22 am »
Or FIFA. Surely.

It's Robson Green's Extreme Angling 2014! Or Oscar Pistorious - Blade Runner

or perhaps Sim City to go with the always online...
:lmao

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: April 25, 2013, 05:01:01 pm »
Paul Thurott(probably the best source on anything Microsoft) has provided further details from his source:

-Early announce. The initial reveal date was pushed back from April 24 to May 21 so that Microsoft could better position the device against the PlayStation 4, which Sony announced in late February.

-Full (end user) announce. Microsoft will fully reveal details about the next Xbox, including the launch lineup of games, on the eve of the E3 tradeshow in early June 2013.

-Developer announce? It appears that Microsoft will discuss the next Xbox developer platform at the Build conference in San Francisco in late June, based on clues on the Build web site.

-Launch. The next Xbox will launch in early November 2013.

-Windows 8 Core. The next Xbox is based on the "Core" (base) version of Windows 8. This suggests a common apps platform or at least one that is similar to that used by Windows 8, and further than Microsoft could open up this platform to enthusiast developers. (That last bit is supposition on my part.)

-Price. Microsoft will initially offer two pricing models for the console, offering a standalone version for $499 and then a $299 version that requires a two-year Xbox LIVE Gold commitment at an expected price of $10 per month.

-No entertainment box. Microsoft originally planned to offer both a “full” version of the next Xbox (with video game playing capabilities) and a lower-end entertainment-oriented version, codenamed “Yuma,” that did not provide video gaming capabilities. But plans for Yuma are on hold and no pure entertainment version of the next Xbox will appear in 2013 (or possibly ever).

-Blu-ray. The next Xbox will include a Blu-ray optical drive.

-Internet-connected. The next Xbox must be internet-connected to use. This is source of the “always on”/“always online” rumors and isn’t as Draconian as many seem to believe.

-Another Xbox 360. Microsoft will also deliver a third generation Xbox 360 console this year that will be significantly less expensive than the current models. The new 360 is codenamed “Stingray,” but it’s not clear if this device is required because the next Xbox isn’t backwards compatible, or because Microsoft simply wants a low-cost entertainment box alternative. (A third possibility, and to be clear these possible reasons are all speculative: The 360 simply has life left in it and with dwindling component prices in the 8 years since the original launch, the firm can still make money selling such a device.)

Still a lot of confusion about 'always online'. Some sources suggest that the game needs to be online the entire time, some suggest that you just need to be online to register the game(like Steam), some claim that its the new Xbox 360 that will need to be always online and some claim that always online is only for Durango's TV capabilities.

I'm disappointed with the price.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 05:30:31 pm by Malaysian Kopite »

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: April 25, 2013, 05:46:07 pm »
Oh my, a compulsory XBL subscription in order to own the cheaper priced version.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: April 25, 2013, 05:52:26 pm »
Oh my, a compulsory XBL subscription in order to own the cheaper priced version.
Looking back at it that doesn't make much sense. Even after you pay for two years of Live Gold your console actually costs $60 cheaper and you didn't have to pay it all upfront. Think Thurott got that bit wrong.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: April 25, 2013, 06:00:46 pm »
Maybe the premium version wouldn't require a subscription though. If you pay 299 and then 10 a month for 24 months thats 240 on top of that initial price so it works out at 540.

Think they might throw a curveball here and offer free gaming to a certain extent online like Sony do. Do think Sony currently offer better value for money in the sense of ps plus vs XBL gold.

Offline thelinnen

• Tepid Water Lite. Serial Moaner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #186 on: April 25, 2013, 06:09:51 pm »
-Launch. The next Xbox will launch in early November 2013.
Oh would you look at that. I wonder what other phenomenally selling product launches annually at this time.
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: April 25, 2013, 06:10:21 pm »
Think they might throw a curveball here and offer free gaming to a certain extent online like Sony do. Do think Sony currently offer better value for money in the sense of ps plus vs XBL gold.
They'll definitely need to do some work on Live. It was easily the best service at the start of the gen but PS+ has overtaken it now.

Not pleased with the rumoured price though, especially since I think the PS4 will launch at the same price. Over a grand to buy two consoles that will share 90+% of their games. I can see both consoles getting a price cut early on if that price is accurate much like how the PS3, 3DS and Vita(in Japan) did.

Offline thelinnen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: April 25, 2013, 06:15:27 pm »
Do think Sony currently offer better value for money in the sense of ps plus vs XBL gold.
Of course you do, I can smell your Playstation bias from here. The truth is that PSN is very dry on current gen and Xbox Live is far better and for that reason, barring any nasty surprises, Microsoft have got my money as I had much more fun on my Xbox than I ever have on my PS3, which I've owned since launch.
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: April 25, 2013, 07:09:25 pm »
Of course you do, I can smell your Playstation bias from here. The truth is that PSN is very dry on current gen and Xbox Live is far better and for that reason, barring any nasty surprises, Microsoft have got my money as I had much more fun on my Xbox than I ever have on my PS3, which I've owned since launch.

Nothing to do with bias sorry. This isn't 2007 anymore. I pay a similar price and get to play free online, enjoy a multitude of services and also hundreds of pounds worth of free games, don't clearly know what your problem is.

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: April 25, 2013, 08:15:03 pm »
Having to pay to play online is shite but I wouldn't be surprised if Sony brought that in as well. So far the nextbox doesn't look good at all though they haven't had the reveal yet so things may get better.

Offline thelinnen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: April 25, 2013, 09:44:20 pm »
Nothing to do with bias sorry. This isn't 2007 anymore. I pay a similar price and get to play free online, enjoy a multitude of services and also hundreds of pounds worth of free games, don't clearly know what your problem is.
My problem is that you don't have to enter this thread just to tell us how you think Playstation is better. By this stage whatever side people have picked is very unlikely to change.

They're both the same bloody console, and I won't be making the mistake of buying both again.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #192 on: April 25, 2013, 10:56:59 pm »
$500 is what? £320? That's actually alright, although you're looking at £400 if you want two games, which most probably will. It's £360 minimum anyway. Fitting.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #193 on: April 25, 2013, 11:15:20 pm »
My problem is that you don't have to enter this thread just to tell us how you think Playstation is better. By this stage whatever side people have picked is very unlikely to change.

They're both the same bloody console, and I won't be making the mistake of buying both again.

Not sure why you're on the defensive here, he was saying you get better value on PSN than you do with Xbox Live, that is completely true.

To start with, you are required to pay a monthly fee to play your games online with the Xbox. You don't need to do this with any other major gaming platform that I know of.

Now if you compare the paid services that Sony offer compared to an Xbox Live subscription then there's no doubt about it, you get a lot more value with PSN Plus. I think you get something like unlimited rental of 3 games per month, one of those being a major release. So in a year you can look to complete 12 major titles plus enjoy lots more free PSN games - all for a similar price you're paying with Microsoft just for the privalge of using your console to play games online.

I use Xbox Live here with my friends, it's good for sure but I don't understand why you need to pay. You can't even use the YouTube app without a gold membership lol.

:D

Online J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: April 25, 2013, 11:15:29 pm »

He didn't say the PS is better, he stated his opinion that he thinks PS+ is better value for money for a consumer than XBL, an opinion which i share and before you say it, i'm not a sony 'fanboy' I've got both consoles, prefer the PS3 mainly for the free online play, however with the recent addition of PS+ in gaming terms, it's got a better base to build upon that will attract new gamers and families to it.

XBL is a fantastic service, don't get me wrong, for £40 a year, you get pretty much lag free gaming, party chat and of course the exclusive demos, however with PS, you get pretty much lag free gaming, exclusive demos and now with PS+, you get free games, free game trails and the like for the same cost per year as XBL.

The only thing missing from PS online is the party chat, something which I'm hoping is incorporated into the PS4, as for the Durango, i'll probably end up with one eventually, will make a sound judgement when the event is over and done with, PS4 simply blew my mind though so microsoft need to pull a rabbit out of the hat to change my mind as I'm sure is the case with a lot of people who watched that PS4 event.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: April 26, 2013, 04:22:30 am »
$500 is what? £320? That's actually alright, although you're looking at £400 if you want two games, which most probably will. It's £360 minimum anyway. Fitting.
We're not going to get exactly the same amount in pounds though. It always ends up more expensive.

Offline barneystuta

• Legacy Fan
    • This Is Analysis - Stories & Analysis about Liverpool Football Club
« Reply #196 on: April 26, 2013, 09:14:03 am »
The 360 launched at £279.99 with the "Core" launching at £209.99.

The PS3 launched at £425.

There was little movement on the 360 price when the PS3 Launched (not the RRP anyway). But a lot of places bundled games in and other extras.

Xbox will have to be careful not to price themselves out of the market, that is for sure. No one has revealed their pricing, but I won't be surprised to see a couple of different options (entry level console, and a full "premium" one).

In terms of a subscription based console, it is something that makes some sense. However, I agree with some of the posters above, that XBL does need to up its game. Xbox Live is great, and offers the best online experience (for a range of reasons). However, Sony won't fall behind - and I doubt there PS+ service will become the default, and I think online play will be free still for them.

This means Microsoft have to offer something more to it's "Gold" members. I am happy to continue paying for online play, but just that? Things I'd like to see are:

- Free Games/Rental Service
- Bonus offers, and more exclusive content/downloads
- Not a Gold member anymore? You can still access Youtube, Netflix, and other "Apps".

12 months Xbox Live is £28 (sometimes less if you know where to look). That is pretty good value at £2.33 a month for a good online service.

We saw improvements from the original Xbox Live to the 360 version, and I expect similar this time.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: April 26, 2013, 09:28:11 am »
Thurott and some other sources suggesting that Durango may just be called Xbox. Like the new iPad.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: April 26, 2013, 05:26:00 pm »
The next Xbox rethinks DRM, Achievements and Xbox Live friends, our sources say
By BRIAN CRECENTE on Apr 26, 2013 at 11:38a @crecenteb

The next Xbox, set to be unveiled during a May 21 event on Microsoft's Redmond-based Xbox campus, will bring with it not just new hardware, but a slew of tweaks to the social aspects of Microsoft's console.

Sources tell Polygon that the current version of the next-gen console includes a next-gen approach to video sharing, anti-piracy protection, social networking and a massive expansion of the Xbox 360's popular achievement system.

Like the recently announced PlayStation 4, the still-unnamed next Xbox will include the ability to capture video highlights of gameplay and then share them through networks like Facebook and Ustream.

In February, during the official PlayStation 4 unveiling, Sony officials detailed the heightened importance of sharing game experiences. The ability to share a snapshot from a game or show off a gameplay video is so important that a "share" button is incorporated into that upcoming console's new controller.

Pressing the PS4's share button allows players to begin capturing their own gameplay in real time and then broadcast it to their friends using social networks.

Microsoft is also trying to come up with a system for video sharing though all of the details are still being locked down. According to our sources, currently the next Xbox will capture your gameplay as if it were a DVR, allowing you to go back and select highlights. That function can be turned on or off, or a player can set up the console to automatically capture a recording when certain in-game events occur, like a headshot or collecting a specific achievement. Auto capturing those "magic moments" will be a feature only available on next-gen games.

Those videos can then be uploaded directly from the console to social sites, like YouTube, for sharing.

Sources tell Polygon that the next Xbox will indeed have some form of an always-on requirement. That will be both to support the suite of non-gaming entertainment applications that will be launched alongside the console, like streaming video services, but also as a possible anti-piracy tool. Currently, the console will support digital rights management and anti-piracy checks using an internet connection. Under Microsoft's current guidelines, which may still be changed, the decision of whether a game will require an internet connection to work and if that is a one-time authentication or a constant connection, will be left up to individual publishers.

The fact that offline gameplay, always online and one-time checks are supported, means that in the future, publishers will have much greater control over copyright protection for their games.

Another thing developers and publishers will have more control over with next-gen Xbox games is the way achievements are used and updated.

With the next Xbox, developers and publishers will be able to add more achievements to a game after launch, without the need to add DLC. This is designed specifically to allow developers to tweak player behavior, perhaps urging players to check out specific areas of a game or get past a difficult spot. Next-gen achievements can also be tied to broader events, like a weekend challenge or a communal goal, like contributing a set number of kills to the bigger goal of 10,000 kills over one weekend. Companies can also create cross-title achievements, like awarding points for finishing the first chapter in two different and unrelated games published by the same company. Some of these bigger, cross-title, communal achievements will be a requirement for all titles.

Microsoft is playing around with cross-platform achievements as well. Ideally, these achievements could be earned by playing a game on the next-gen system and then using a companion app, a website or maybe even by playing a specific game, like a prequel to a next-gen title, on the Xbox 360.

Microsoft is also looking to adjust the way Xbox Live functions to more closely align it with the way other social networks, like Twitter or Facebook, work. The next-generation Live won't have a cap on the number of friends a person can have. The way players add friends will also change. Now instead of it being a two-way friendship only, people can choose to follow one another, sort of like Twitter.

We've reached out to Microsoft for comment on their support of always-online DRM, changes to Live and achievements and addition of video capture to the still-unannounced console and will update this story if and when they respond.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/4/26/4268782/next-xbox-drm-achievements-live

Offline thelinnen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: April 27, 2013, 02:52:54 am »
My point was that he's spent a fair amount of time in the Playstation threads waxing lyrical about them, if you prefer one that's fine, but in that case don't expect people to change their opinions when they prefer the other. For me Sony lost my support in the first 2 years of PSN. The 100 mb patches, the boring xmb, the hour long firmware updates and lack of cross game chat killed it for me. I then decided to buy an Xbox and the £40 a year was worth it to get rid of all those issues I had. And the arrogance that Sony had that the name alone would win them the console war has really put me off, even if the PS4 looks impressive.