Author Topic: Anime Anyone?  (Read 79588 times)

Offline RideTheWalrus

• Legacy Fan
  • Urge to kill rising...
Re: Anime Anyone?
« Reply #200 on: October 24, 2012, 10:44:18 pm »
High School of the Dead

Not a bad show by any means, and dangerously close to being Hentai.

I love the opening theme. Show's aab, first two eps were good though.
Pretty happy with Arse taking it.

Disappointing.
[/quote]

Offline Red James

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #201 on: October 27, 2012, 10:53:49 pm »
Cromartie High School is hilarious

Look familiar?

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #202 on: October 28, 2012, 06:23:31 am »

Thanks for this mate. This is spectacular stuff!

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #203 on: October 29, 2012, 12:21:37 pm »
Scrolled through the past few pages but couldn't find what I was after...

Can anyone recommend any recent manga/anime feature films that have been brought out in the last few years, I always really struggle to find anything new?

Offline Red James

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: October 29, 2012, 07:29:11 pm »
Scrolled through the past few pages but couldn't find what I was after...

Can anyone recommend any recent manga/anime feature films that have been brought out in the last few years, I always really struggle to find anything new?

How new are you looking for? There's Summer Wars (09) which is really good and before that is The Girl who Leapt through time, Paprika (both 06) and 5cm Per Second (07). There's also Eve no Jikan (08-09). Finally there's The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya (10) although I'd recommend watching Haruhi first if you haven't.

Edit: I've got a number of recommended films but most of them aren't really recent.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 01:14:56 am by Red James »

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: October 30, 2012, 08:07:08 am »
How new are you looking for? There's Summer Wars (09) which is really good and before that is The Girl who Leapt through time, Paprika (both 06) and 5cm Per Second (07). There's also Eve no Jikan (08-09). Finally there's The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya (10) although I'd recommend watching Haruhi first if you haven't.

Edit: I've got a number of recommended films but most of them aren't really recent.

Nice one mate, there are two there that I hadn't heard of so will give them a bash (TGWLTT and TDOHS). Paprika is one of my all time faves, absolutely bonkers, with a soundtrack more likely to get stuck in your head than a hammer on a Hellraiser set!

Out of interest, what else is in your rec list regardless of release date?

Offline Red James

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: October 30, 2012, 09:58:42 am »
Nice one mate, there are two there that I hadn't heard of so will give them a bash (TGWLTT and TDOHS). Paprika is one of my all time faves, absolutely bonkers, with a soundtrack more likely to get stuck in your head than a hammer on a Hellraiser set!

Out of interest, what else is in your rec list regardless of release date?

As  I said only watch Disappearance of Haruhi if you've watched both series as it kind of follows on and you won't get the characters otherwise. The Girl who Leapt Through Time is ace so you're in for a treat.

You'll have probably seen some of these but I'll list them all anyways:
Spirited Away
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
Grave of the Fireflies
Sword of the Stranger (Average plot but great action scenes and soundtrack, would have been better as a 1-cour series)
Millennium Actress (From same guy who did Perfect Blue)
Sky Crawlers (Very atmospheric and great animation)
Jin-Roh
Akira
Summer Days with Koo (Ghibli esque)
The Wings of Honneamise
Tekkon Kinkreet (Very colourful)
Mind Game
Memories (3 short movies, first one is the best)
Lupin III: Final Conspiracy
Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro
Eve no Jikan
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
Perfect Blue
The Cat Returns
Steam Boy
Tokyo Godfathers (Great to watch for Christmas)
Barefoot Gen
Only Yesterday
Whisper of the Heart
Paprika
Princess Mononoke
Metropolis
Ghost in the Shell
My Neighbour Totoro
Summer Wars
5cm Per Seconds
The Place Promised in Our Early Days (Same guy who did 5cm per Second, watch if you liked that)
Nasu: Summer in Andalusia
Porco Rosso
Howl's Moving Castle
Castle in the Sky
Kiki's Delivery Service
Ocean Waves
Special Mention: Spice and Wolf. Not a movie but one of my all time favourite series everyone should watch.

As always don't watch dubs if you do or they'll detract from the quality. Subs are the way to go.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 10:00:28 am by Red James »

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: October 30, 2012, 10:01:45 am »
I really need to finish off Spice and Wolf. Have no idea why I left it after watching the first few episodes but I liked what I'd seen of it. I guess it's worth watching all the way through then?
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Red James

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: October 30, 2012, 10:04:05 am »
I really need to finish off Spice and Wolf. Have no idea why I left it after watching the first few episodes but I liked what I'd seen of it. I guess it's worth watching all the way through then?

Definitely recommend it. Second series is excellent as well and the first arc is just as good as the whole of the first series, though the second arc was decent, not as good.

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: October 30, 2012, 11:02:57 am »

As you supected I've seen about 95% of those, the up side is that there's 3 or 4 in there I've not  ;)

I will hunt them down and report back! Cheers  8)

Oh and of course subs is the way to go!

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: October 30, 2012, 03:14:06 pm »
Definitely recommend it. Second series is excellent as well and the first arc is just as good as the whole of the first series, though the second arc was decent, not as good.

Sound, need to get back to watching it. Thanks.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline medley

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Garrincha
« Reply #211 on: October 30, 2012, 03:15:17 pm »
Why hasn't Spirited Away been given a Blu-Ray release yet?
My mate is Sarah Harding's cousin from girls aloud, he looks a fair but like her which is a bit weird when i'm cracking one off over MTV like

Offline Red James

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: October 30, 2012, 05:50:18 pm »
Why hasn't Spirited Away been given a Blu-Ray release yet?

Totoro, another Ghibli biggie, is being released on Blu-ray in the UK in November last time I checked. UK gets them a few months after release in Japan. They're being released slowly so I'm guessing Spirited Away could be next year at the earliest.

Offline medley

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Garrincha
« Reply #213 on: October 30, 2012, 05:53:40 pm »
Totoro, another Ghibli biggie, is being released on Blu-ray in the UK in November last time I checked. UK gets them a few months after release in Japan. They're being released slowly so I'm guessing Spirited Away could be next year at the earliest.

Cheers
My mate is Sarah Harding's cousin from girls aloud, he looks a fair but like her which is a bit weird when i'm cracking one off over MTV like

Offline macca007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: October 30, 2012, 09:35:28 pm »
Not seen this thread in a while but ended up watching deathnote. Was brilliant up to about the 6th series where it went a bit haywire but one of the best series I've watched anime or not!

Offline proudred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: May 29, 2013, 01:30:13 pm »
Just finished watching Full metal alchemist brotherhood it was a great anime.Maybe I will watch Deathnote,Basilisk also watched samurai x great anime as well.Also they have great sountracks!!Any new anime series coming out ?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 01:40:33 pm by proudred »

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: May 29, 2013, 01:52:20 pm »
I've read the Deathnote manga, should I watch the movies next or the anime? Are they any different?
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #217 on: May 29, 2013, 02:07:35 pm »
I've read the Deathnote manga, should I watch the movies next or the anime? Are they any different?

I've not read the manga or watched the anime, but I've seen both movies and quite enjoyed them, dodgy CGI aside.  But I'm not sure how far they stray from the source material.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #218 on: May 29, 2013, 03:21:10 pm »
A new big anime that's just come out is called Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin), its a big budget series with giant monsters causing disasters and shit, but the core of it is about the difficulties in living the military life and its philosophies etc. Supposed to have a big budget live action movie coming soon. I think there's only 6-7 eps out now so it shouldn't be hard to catch up, I'll be getting a move on with it soon.

As for Death Note, movies are good, anime is very good. I think both have different endings than the manga though. How its been multi-franchised is a bit similar to Walking Dead, in the way that there's different media forms for it, so just watch them all and like whichever one you feel is warmest to the concept the most.

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: May 29, 2013, 03:58:42 pm »
A new big anime that's just come out is called Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin), its a big budget series with giant monsters causing disasters and shit, but the core of it is about the difficulties in living the military life and its philosophies etc. Supposed to have a big budget live action movie coming soon. I think there's only 6-7 eps out now so it shouldn't be hard to catch up, I'll be getting a move on with it soon.

As for Death Note, movies are good, anime is very good. I think both have different endings than the manga though. How its been multi-franchised is a bit similar to Walking Dead, in the way that there's different media forms for it, so just watch them all and like whichever one you feel is warmest to the concept the most.

I've seen a couple groups who's releases I check out subbing that, so let me know if it's worth watching.

The other anime I was thinking about maybe getting into was Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, think it finished up a month ago, anyone seen it?
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline JustDan

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #220 on: May 29, 2013, 06:44:51 pm »
I've seen a couple groups who's releases I check out subbing that, so let me know if it's worth watching.
It is definitely worth watching in my opinion, I am loving it so far.
Only been a few episodes so far but it is great, some real crazy shit going on in it already.
One of those anime I wish I'd found out about after it had been airing for a year or so.. I just want to watch more.

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #221 on: May 29, 2013, 09:07:24 pm »
Attack on Titan

Seems good so far, only on Episode 8 though.

Offline macca007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: May 31, 2013, 06:39:58 am »
The anime is superb till about the 5th/6th season where it loses its way as it gets drawn out a bit but one of the best I've seen. Couldn't say about the movies tho

Offline Baraka

• bama. But a lot lot lot lot stupider. Has an IQ of 6½
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: June 1, 2013, 12:57:49 am »
Attack on Titan

Seems good so far, only on Episode 8 though.

yeah up to that myself, think its quality. "sie sind das essen und wir sind die jaeger"
South Park>>>>>All.

Offline proudred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: June 1, 2013, 09:53:14 am »
The anime is superb till about the 5th/6th season where it loses its way as it gets drawn out a bit but one of the best I've seen. Couldn't say about the movies tho

Do you mean episode 6 ? Started watching Basilisk and Deathnote as well both good so far.Will look for Attack on titan.

Offline macca007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: June 1, 2013, 10:23:06 am »
Do you mean episode 6 ? Started watching Basilisk and Deathnote as well both good so far.Will look for Attack on titan.

Sorry more like episode 20/24 I've got the box set so just remember the disk out of 9. There's a specific point where I felt it went slightly downhill but its still a quality watch even then.

Offline proudred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: June 1, 2013, 10:34:35 am »
Thanks.Is Dragonball a good anime everybody is saying it is a great,maybe I will give it a try.

Offline JustDan

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #227 on: June 1, 2013, 11:59:38 am »
Sorry more like episode 20/24 I've got the box set so just remember the disk out of 9. There's a specific point where I felt it went slightly downhill but its still a quality watch even then.
Won't spoil anything incase some have not seen it, but I can guess the point you mean. Agree to a degree for obvious reasons, but I still loved every episode of it.

Thanks.Is Dragonball a good anime everybody is saying it is a great,maybe I will give it a try.
I never bothered watching it until recently as I thought it looked way too childish.. & I say that being a big fan of Naruto & One Piece ;D
Watched it earlier this year though & enjoyed it. If you like Shonen anime then you'll probably like it.

Have yet to watch Z though which everyone says is way better.. will check it out at some point, but it looks so over the top.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: June 1, 2013, 03:14:46 pm »
Is that when

Spoiler
L dies?
[close]
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline macca007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: June 1, 2013, 05:40:10 pm »
Is that when

Spoiler
L dies?
[close]

Yeah loses its way a touch then for me. Still good just not a good. An ending there would have been ideal for me.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: June 5, 2013, 04:25:19 am »
Attack on Titan.

Just done 1-6 in a row tonight. What the fuck. I was expecting something much more watered down. I've just gone through the latest ep of Thrones, and now I've come to this. Fuck me.

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: June 5, 2013, 07:02:37 am »
Attack on Titan.

Just done 1-6 in a row tonight. What the fuck. I was expecting something much more watered down. I've just gone through the latest ep of Thrones, and now I've come to this. Fuck me.

I've spent the last week reading the manga, there's about 50-odd chapters out so far, definitely going to wait a bit before getting started on the anime as it's quite an interesting story, even if it's kind of depressing.
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline DanFromMars

• Stays up all night playing cards. Henri Winterman cigars
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #232 on: June 13, 2013, 06:05:24 pm »

Look familiar?

Just started watching Attack on Titan after Osiris' comparison and noticed this.

The Japanese love a bit of Freddie!

Wish I'd of waited until the season was over. Hate watching 20 minutes episodes each week.
Indie Retro Gaming News Site
http://www.indieretronews.com/

Offline Hoenheim

• Legacy Fan
  • Lovely cushioned header for Gerrard...
« Reply #233 on: June 13, 2013, 08:34:13 pm »
I just watched the 10 aired episodes of Shingeki no Kyojin/Attack on Titan in one sitting, really enjoyed it so far, definitely the best series this season.

ATTACK ON PIZZA HUT!
I love the japanese culture, crazy bastards :D
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 08:40:42 pm by Hoenheim »
I love Emre Can more than both of my children. Fact

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: June 13, 2013, 08:51:17 pm »
Yeah I watched Titan #10 last night. I was expecting a watered down action series before I began, and it is so much more grim than that. I went to the comic store yesterday and opened up Vol 5 of the manga on a random page for a laugh to see if it was something grim, and it just so happened that my favourite fucking character was biting the dust on the random page I opened up! But then I turned over to the next page and it was only a *dream* ;D Traumatic stuff!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 10:31:35 pm by OsirisMVZ »

Offline DanFromMars

• Stays up all night playing cards. Henri Winterman cigars
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #235 on: June 13, 2013, 10:10:05 pm »
Would've probably come back to life as a lawnmower in the next volume.

Wish they'd grow/evolve out of the persistent character stereotypes you get in each new anime. Bores me seeing a flamboyant person paired up with a silent moody dude and the chicks who are able to beat up and overpower the males in a shocking reveal on a school roof/military training ground.  With this more of a European setting I was hoping for a bit of an escape of all this but it's all still there and a very formulaic Japanese school/anime cast, rather than a new and interesting social setting.  Anyone else find this puts them off watching new anime series, or am I just talking shite?
Indie Retro Gaming News Site
http://www.indieretronews.com/

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: June 13, 2013, 10:32:50 pm »
Yeah I find that a lot, its sadly just something we've got to deal with. New stuff comes out all the time and its cool, but there's very rarely anything that totally breaks apart the character conventions that we're used to.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #237 on: June 23, 2013, 11:04:32 pm »
Just getting into Cromartie High School, which is just too fucking funny.  The super INTENSE looks on their faces, thinking about pointless/retarded stuff is great.  And Freddie is awesome too.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #238 on: June 23, 2013, 11:14:55 pm »
Not really into anime or manga much any more, but is Battle Angel worth a watch?

James Cameron is turning it into a film in 2017, I've read Elysium takes some ideas from it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZImWfSmESs0
:D

Offline gwalk

• Legacy Fan
  • ní fheicfidh tú ag siúl ina n-aonar
« Reply #239 on: June 24, 2013, 12:03:12 am »
Just a list of my recently watched.

Initial D - First Stage to Fourth Stage, Extra Stage and Battle Stage. And also that Jay Chou movie of it.

This, enjoyed initial D, and Wangan Midnight too

I was never one for anime until I heard about Initial D