Author Topic: SLR Cameras - recommendations and advice  (Read 145687 times)

Offline MolbysBigBelly

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: SLR Camera's
« Reply #80 on: September 7, 2007, 10:55:19 am »
I've just ordered the Canon.

Was close to getting the above deal at £579 but thought it was a just a bit too much to start with. Got the camera, lense, case and 2gb card. Will purchase a lense once I make sense of the thing.

Thanks for the help, no doubt its not the last time.

Your all stars :wave

Good lad.  You won't regret it. 

And good luck with your new hobby.
"I believed them fellas."
Thank you, Mr. Moores.

Offline Sat1

• Banned
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: September 7, 2007, 12:11:44 pm »
Cheers  Molby. Collected it last night and was excited and scared using it. Played around with it a bit and at the same time got a manual out. Was indoors and dark outside so after work im going to go and have a play around.

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat.
  • Super Title: Coming soon! Official Launch May 2008
« Reply #82 on: September 7, 2007, 12:23:07 pm »
Cheers  Molby. Collected it last night and was excited and scared using it. Played around with it a bit and at the same time got a manual out. Was indoors and dark outside so after work im going to go and have a play around.

Dark outside is a great time to have a play and learn about shutter speeds (particularly when it's not quite dark and there's some passing traffic). Turn the dial to "TV", put it on a tripod and shoot away...

Just adjust the speed up and down with the wheel.

If you're getting blur, put the timer on, hit the button and stand back.

:wave

Surprisingly easy for a beginner to get this kind of stuff...

For example - that top image with the superb blue sky and the nice flares on the lights - nothing more than a combination of decent location, a triopd, and about a 4 second shutter speed.

The colour in the sky, the flares and the moving car lights will all be there without you doing anything else. (though that image has had some contrast and a decent bit of saturation added in photoshop)
« Last Edit: September 7, 2007, 12:29:00 pm by nidgemo »
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline Sat1

• Banned
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: September 7, 2007, 01:37:13 pm »
Thats a brill pic mate, type of pics that I like and wanna learn about, and thanks for the advise. I should of left my apartment lastnight and snapped away, missus was out and had nothing else to do but just fiddled around with it indoors, scared a tourist my see me not knowing alot and laughing at me  ;D

In the previous kit there was a mention of another lense, is this the one? Would work out cheaper than the Jessops one if it is.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tamron-0-5-55-200-DI-II/dp/B000CE8IVM/ref=pd_bbs_1/203-0245297-1093529?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1189168024&sr=8-1

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: September 7, 2007, 01:40:16 pm »
Thats a brill pic mate, type of pics that I like and wanna learn about, and thanks for the advise. I should of left my apartment lastnight and snapped away, missus was out and had nothing else to do but just fiddled around with it indoors, scared a tourist my see me not knowing alot and laughing at me  ;D

In the previous kit there was a mention of another lense, is this the one? Would work out cheaper than the Jessops one if it is.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tamron-0-5-55-200-DI-II/dp/B000CE8IVM/ref=pd_bbs_1/203-0245297-1093529?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1189168024&sr=8-1

yeah, that's the one.
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline Sat1

• Banned
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: September 7, 2007, 01:52:05 pm »
yeah, that's the one.

Its cheaper, question is, is it worth me getting yet? I've got a few photography courses to look at. But for now I cant wait to get back and snap away. Need to get started.

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: September 7, 2007, 01:59:22 pm »
Its cheaper, question is, is it worth me getting yet? I've got a few photography courses to look at. But for now I cant wait to get back and snap away. Need to get started.

I'd hold off. No real need for it yet, until you learn how to use the camera well. End of the day, it's only a zoom.

You can always stand closer ;)

Offline Sat1

• Banned
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: September 7, 2007, 02:10:59 pm »
Cheers mate. Happy snapping  :wave

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Big Mac Whopper. Proud owner of "mods-are-cunts" account. Strangely no longer with us.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: September 7, 2007, 02:13:20 pm »
It's always been my intention to get an xpan - anyone got any experience? I'm thinking I might just jump for one soon.

Answer me, you bastards ;D

I know you're out there.
* WARNING - The above post may contain sarcasm. Maybe some irony, if you're lucky.

AS ALWAYS, WE ARE FOCUSED ON SUPPORTING OUR MANAGER

Offline Sat1

• Banned
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: September 7, 2007, 02:14:35 pm »
Answer me, you bastards ;D

I know you're out there.

Maybe one day I could help ya

Offline dampaddy

• Can't anyone dry this poor mans addy?
  • Main Stander
« Reply #90 on: September 7, 2007, 04:31:41 pm »

I'm finally going to take the plunge to digital, having used Canon SLR's for years I'll stuick with them and use my old lenses.

I'd love a 5D, although I see they are bringing out a 40D.  6.5 fps, 10 MP

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: September 7, 2007, 05:58:57 pm »

I'm finally going to take the plunge to digital, having used Canon SLR's for years I'll stuick with them and use my old lenses.

is the FPS important to you?

400D would be a lot cheaper...

[ignores longworth]

Offline MolbysBigBelly

• Anny Roader
« Reply #92 on: September 7, 2007, 07:05:34 pm »

Mate I've got an EOS 5 QD from about 10-11 years back.  Fantastic bit of kit, even the eye controlled focus works for me pretty much 100%.  I'd love to go for a 5D but the cost terrifies me.  Full frame sensor on that, but the 40D does look promising.  Hopefully a couple more months and as long as the overall reviews aren't bad, that'll be the one I go for.  £1400 for the 5D?  That's a lot of beer money...
Thank you, Mr. Moores.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: September 7, 2007, 09:05:11 pm »

Could always rent a similar lens and see how you get on with it over a weekend (bank holiday weekends are good to hire over, get an extra day free ;D)

Calumet are pretty damn good for that kind of thing, they have a shop in Brunswick Business Park if you're Liverpool based.

Offline richiedouglas

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You feed beefburgers to swans!
« Reply #94 on: September 7, 2007, 09:18:23 pm »
I've just got myself a Canon EOS 350d (as couldnt quite stretch to the 400d) - its being discontinued so you can find it cheap-ish if you shop around. Mine was £360 which isn't a bargain but you get a very good camera for the money.

It probably needs an extra lens but you can always upgrade in stages. Anybody know what sort of lens i'd need for quality wildlife pictures (no not that wildlife!). Doubt I'd ever get one of those huuuuuge telescopic ones.

Offline Paul_h

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: September 7, 2007, 09:21:47 pm »
Mate I've got an EOS 5 QD from about 10-11 years back.  Fantastic bit of kit, even the eye controlled focus works for me pretty much 100%.  I'd love to go for a 5D but the cost terrifies me.  Full frame sensor on that, but the 40D does look promising.  Hopefully a couple more months and as long as the overall reviews aren't bad, that'll be the one I go for.  £1400 for the 5D?  That's a lot of beer money...

40D is available now i believe....about £850. looks good. i got my eye on the nikon D300. over £1000, but won't consider buying until price drops to about £800 next year..(hopefully)

exciting times for the nikon/canon battle with the (nov) release of nikons first full frame camera the D3. should shake up the market a bit. Canon's had it all their own way so far at the higer end of the market.

the only challenge to canon and nikon dominence seems to be coming from Sony, who just anounced there 2nd slr the alpha 700, which seems to be competing with canon 40D and nikon d80/D300. And next year should see their high end model possibly full frame..

pentax is sadly in real trouble, and olympus seems to have blundered with the 4/3rds format which has smaller sensors than the APS-C format that others have..

really hope we don't lose pentax who once had 60% slr market share in the 60's/70's
« Last Edit: September 7, 2007, 11:26:40 pm by Paul_h »

Offline xavidub

• Not on message, ennui
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Member No. 6218
« Reply #96 on: September 8, 2007, 12:50:01 am »
I really, really love my Nikon D80. With a 50mm 1.8 lens I reckon it will take me years to outgrow its capabilities. I did want a D200 initially but its not necessary now. anyway, I don't want to spend my time learning to use cameras when I should be improving my composition etc.

I would recommend a standard lens rather than a zoom to anyone starting photography.
You have to try very hard to see what's going on in front of your face

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: September 8, 2007, 01:28:41 am »
I've just got myself a Canon EOS 350d (as couldnt quite stretch to the 400d) - its being discontinued so you can find it cheap-ish if you shop around. Mine was £360 which isn't a bargain but you get a very good camera for the money.

It probably needs an extra lens but you can always upgrade in stages. Anybody know what sort of lens i'd need for quality wildlife pictures (no not that wildlife!). Doubt I'd ever get one of those huuuuuge telescopic ones.

as big a zoom as you can afford!

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: September 8, 2007, 11:11:25 am »
Anybody know what sort of lens i'd need for quality wildlife pictures (no not that wildlife!). Doubt I'd ever get one of those huuuuuge telescopic ones.

Best two lenses without blowing a small fortune are the EF 400 5.6L (£850) and the EF100-400 4.5-5.6L(£999). Both not cheap, but when you get to the 400mm end of things - which is perfect for wildlife I might add; more so on a cropper - things start getting very expensive; like £2000+.

Otherwise, you are going to be mainly sacrificing quality.

Remember though, lenses are not like cars or computers, they hold thier value remarkably; especially the good ones.

Offline dampaddy

• Can't anyone dry this poor mans addy?
  • Main Stander
« Reply #99 on: September 8, 2007, 03:38:42 pm »

What I don't like about the 400D is the viewfinder. The image is *tiny* compared to the bigger cameras. The body is a bit small for my hands as well, though maybe I'd get used to that.

The high fps isn't really important, but it would be very nice to have - not even for sports or wildlife, but like today, capturing the blowing out of birthday candles by my 5 year old

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: September 8, 2007, 10:56:33 pm »

What I don't like about the 400D is the viewfinder. The image is *tiny* compared to the bigger cameras. The body is a bit small for my hands as well, though maybe I'd get used to that.

The high fps isn't really important, but it would be very nice to have - not even for sports or wildlife, but like today, capturing the blowing out of birthday candles by my 5 year old

400D still does 4 or 5 FPS in bursts though, doesn't it?

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: September 8, 2007, 11:27:25 pm »
For example - that top image with the superb blue sky and the nice flares on the lights - nothing more than a combination of decent location, a triopd, and about a 4 second shutter speed.

Nah, that image is using an eight point star filter....gotta be.

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: September 9, 2007, 01:44:08 am »
Nah, that image is using an eight point star filter....gotta be.

no, you'll get that kind of effect simply on long shutter speed.

Online Pheel

• Look into my eyes...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Jerzy............Legend
« Reply #103 on: September 9, 2007, 11:11:18 am »
Hello All,

any advice on a decent quality tripod? the pic above has me interested :wave
Better today than yesterday...........
           even better tomorrow.

Offline MolbysBigBelly

• Anny Roader
« Reply #104 on: September 9, 2007, 12:16:16 pm »
Hello All,

I've got an old tripod which I don't really use much - can't even remember the name.  I do, however, tend to use the Manfrotto monopod which I bought at about the same time.  The quality is excellent. 

If things haven't changed much, I'd look at a Manfrotto tripod - I couldn't afford on at the time, but when I get the 40D, I'll deffo be looking in that direction.  The basic 4 section one is around the £60 mark.
Thank you, Mr. Moores.

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #105 on: September 9, 2007, 01:12:40 pm »
whats the difference between a good tripod and a crap one?

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: September 9, 2007, 01:50:29 pm »
whats the difference between a good tripod and a crap one?

wibbly photographs?

oh and er, the cheaper one's don't allow as much flexibility of movement of the head, so there's limitations on what angles you get. All the manfrotto's i've seen don't come with a head and you pick which one you want, makes the whole package doubly expensive, but you get exactly what you want and can obviously just buy another head if you have the need later on down the line.

i'm after a new tripod meself, the one i've got now is utterly shite but all i could afford at the time.
« Last Edit: September 9, 2007, 01:54:57 pm by Claire. »

Offline Paul_h

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: September 9, 2007, 05:34:32 pm »
Hello All,

how much do you want to spend?

stability is so important in photography, especially in low light using zooms
best in class is the gitzo, around £400!!!
if you want carbon fibre, (very sturdy and lightweight), and want value for money then have look at feisol(tawain) and benro(knock off gitzo made in china). both have got very good reviews on camera forums..although u have to buy a ball head too.

after reviewing the market 2 years ago i went with feisol. excellent engineered carbon fibre, and bought direct from their website. tripod and ballhead came to about £180. more than i wanted to spend, but hopfully avoided buying cheap, and continusily upgrading..

« Last Edit: September 9, 2007, 06:02:10 pm by Paul_h »

Offline Texas Reds Fan

• The first to learn about Project: Rename LFC
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Form is emptiness, emptiness is form
« Reply #108 on: September 9, 2007, 08:19:17 pm »
Dark outside is a great time to have a play and learn about shutter speeds (particularly when it's not quite dark and there's some passing traffic). Turn the dial to "TV", put it on a tripod and shoot away...

Just adjust the speed up and down with the wheel.

If you're getting blur, put the timer on, hit the button and stand back.

:wave

Surprisingly easy for a beginner to get this kind of stuff...

The colour in the sky, the flares and the moving car lights will all be there without you doing anything else. (though that image has had some contrast and a decent bit of saturation added in photoshop)

Wow, that picture has me really wanting to buy an entry level digital SLR camera. I've been thinking about it for a long time, was looking into Canon's line.

My community college journalism department had one I used to take sports pictures for the paper but it had a half-second or so delay from when you pressed the button to shoot and when it actually shot. That was a few years ago, and the camera was probably a first generation. I take it they've probably addressed that by now, assuming it wasn't just my lack of knowledge in how to turn that off?

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: September 10, 2007, 08:31:22 am »

Wow, that picture has me really wanting to buy an entry level digital SLR camera. I've been thinking about it for a long time, was looking into Canon's line.

My community college journalism department had one I used to take sports pictures for the paper but it had a half-second or so delay from when you pressed the button to shoot and when it actually shot. That was a few years ago, and the camera was probably a first generation. I take it they've probably addressed that by now, assuming it wasn't just my lack of knowledge in how to turn that off?

No, some of the very early ones did have a really annoying delay, but that's well in the past now.

Go for it and get one if you're interested.

The ones below are taken with a 300D, with just the standard lens, no filters, no fancy shit. Camera and a cheap tripod.

They're not the best ones I've taken, but were just the first decent ones on my computer.

As I say, I prefer architecture though.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 08:32:53 am by nidgemo »

Online Pheel

• Look into my eyes...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: September 11, 2007, 11:44:31 pm »
Thanks for the replys, I have really started to get back into this photography lark after a while away. I can see money being spent, first tripod, ( £50-£150)then lights, (£300) then new glass (£?????)  as the tripod and lights highlight the deficiency of my lens, then a new body :o.

even better tomorrow.

Online Pheel

• Look into my eyes...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: September 11, 2007, 11:45:45 pm »
Have to say though Nidgemo, impressive them with standard kit.
           even better tomorrow.

Offline grimreaper

• this is a new one... ok it's shite but it is a no-brainer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: September 11, 2007, 11:49:30 pm »
wibbly photographs?

oh and er, the cheaper one's don't allow as much flexibility of movement of the head, so there's limitations on what angles you get. All the manfrotto's i've seen don't come with a head and you pick which one you want, makes the whole package doubly expensive, but you get exactly what you want and can obviously just buy another head if you have the need later on down the line.

i'm after a new tripod meself, the one i've got now is utterly shite but all i could afford at the time.

For a nik*n user you speak a "little" sence, well done,   ;D , canon would be proud :D

Offline Sat1

• Banned
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: November 22, 2007, 12:21:59 pm »
I've been enjoying my camera loads, still a bit shit on getting lighting right. Shutter speed this, Apeture that and so on. So im looking for a course to do, going to do a 1 or 2 day course. Thinks its a good idea? http://www.photoopportunity.co.uk/

I want to get a better lense, is this worth getting?

Tamron AF55-200mm f/4-5.6 Di II LD Macro for Canon Selected Digital SLR Cameras A15 - about £80

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: November 22, 2007, 12:26:02 pm »
I've been enjoying my camera loads, still a bit shit on getting lighting right. Shutter speed this, Apeture that and so on. So im looking for a course to do, going to do a 1 or 2 day course. Thinks its a good idea? http://www.photoopportunity.co.uk/

I want to get a better lense, is this worth getting?

Tamron AF55-200mm f/4-5.6 Di II LD Macro for Canon Selected Digital SLR Cameras A15 - about £80

any photos for us yet?

post a couple up!

Offline Sat1

• Banned
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: November 22, 2007, 01:06:11 pm »
any photos for us yet?

post a couple up!

I dunno, dont think im achieving anything yet, its more the camera doing it. But when I get home I'll stick a couple up so that you guys can give me a clue where I can improve.

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: November 22, 2007, 01:36:29 pm »
I dunno, dont think im achieving anything yet, its more the camera doing it. But when I get home I'll stick a couple up so that you guys can give me a clue where I can improve.

It's ALWAYS the camera mate ;)

Ther's not that much knowledge to it :D

It'll be more how good your eye is.

Offline MolbysBigBelly

• Anny Roader
« Reply #117 on: November 29, 2007, 06:08:57 pm »
Finally did what I'd been threatening... picked up a Canon 40D with 17-85 IS USM lens.

Debated long and hard over this and the 400D and decided on the 400D because of the extra cost.  Went to the shop to get the 400D, tried it out and just didn't feel right in my hands.  I've been used to a EOS 5 (35mm film) which is a hefty bit of kit.  However, the 400D felt even smaller than my first SLR which was a EOS 1000fn.

Asked to try the 40D, left the shop to think about it and went back today to have another try with both models. 

I'm now sitting at home, waiting for the battery to charge up so I can fire up the 40D, and give it a hammering over the next few weeks.  The 40D feels a lot closer to my EOS5 in terms of size, shape, weight, has the control wheel on the back like the EOS5, and even the shutter sounds satisfyingly like my EOS5.  Only thing that's missing is eye-controlled focus, but I can live with that.

Sat, how are you getting on?  What I found really useful when I started, was to get a few books on the subject for ideas.  You know the sort that just has shitloads of pics and you can pickup in a surplus bookstore like "The Works" for under £10.  Certainly helped me to look at things differently to how you normally do.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 06:11:56 pm by MolbysBigBelly »
Thank you, Mr. Moores.

Offline BSBW

• Will take anyone one on to maintain the integrity and traditions of the 70's and 80's Road End
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Scouse Born Wild
« Reply #118 on: December 3, 2007, 06:17:25 pm »
I wish I hadn't opened this thread I'm now nearly six hundred notes lighter and now furiously trying to make sense of the Canon 400D instruction book!
G'Day Lid - Official Scouse rep of the OCB Down Under.

Offline MolbysBigBelly

• Anny Roader
« Reply #119 on: December 3, 2007, 06:49:08 pm »
These new manuals really are shite aren't they?

Dug out the original for my EOS5 the other day and that was so flaming easy. 

I'm going on the net to find the info that I need.  Like why the hell can't I see the RAW files as well as the jpegs?  Bluddy XP issue - you have to use a card reader using USB won't show them!  More bleeding expense!

Got to say though, the 4gb Sandisk Extreme III CF cards turned up today - 2 of the buggers from e-buyer.  They come with the activation keys for PhaseOne Capture OneLE software.  You simply download the software off their website and register.  Now all I need to do is try them out - the 1gb card Jessops threw in is shite for speed - it's actually a SanDisk - says so on the back.  Think I'll stick that in the iPaq.
Thank you, Mr. Moores.