Author Topic: SLR Cameras - recommendations and advice  (Read 145461 times)

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: SLR Camera's
« Reply #120 on: December 3, 2007, 07:04:55 pm »
i got that capture one LE free with my extreme IIIs, didn't think too much of it to be honest, i'm loving Capture NX at the moment, went to a Nikon Expo a few weeks back and was taught how to use it properly ;D and it's fucking ace.

It's ALWAYS the camera mate ;)

Ther's not that much knowledge to it :D

It'll be more how good your eye is.

Nah, Nidge, there's plenty *you* can do with regards to being creative with it, once you learn the basics you can manipulate the camera to get what you want, that's the most interesting part of this game! It's all about the relationships and figuring out what will happen if you change one parameter, can only be a slight change and you'll get a completely different image.

Offline MolbysBigBelly

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #121 on: December 3, 2007, 07:26:38 pm »
i got that capture one LE free with my extreme IIIs, didn't think too much of it to be honest, i'm loving Capture NX at the moment, went to a Nikon Expo a few weeks back and was taught how to use it properly ;D and it's fucking ace.

Canon supply something called Digital Photo Professional, which I guess must be something like your Capture NX.  Only been bothering with jpegs because I couldn't work out the RAW issue and the speed on the Jessops/SanDisk card was piss poor.

They also supply something called EOS Utility which means that I can take my laptop with me and control the camera including exposure and firing the shutter from the laptop.

Lots of playing to be done over the next few weeks.   Now, if only I can persuade someone to take over my dayjob for a bit while I have a play.
Now the Extreme IIIs are here, I'm going to try it out properly along with the CaptureOne and see what's what.
"I believed them fellas."
Thank you, Mr. Moores.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: December 3, 2007, 07:39:39 pm »
Capture NX can control the camera, do time releases etc, even just use the hdd as a memory card if you want. It's best feature is one of the editing tools that allows you to isolate and edit a radius of pixels, it's hard to explain it without you seeing it, but believe me, it's a bit good, and it's all non-destructive, so you can apply anything and easily remove it without having to backtrack over steps, remove the offending filter and then re-do all the later steps.

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: December 4, 2007, 12:01:59 pm »
If you want 'technically' better photos, shoot RAW. The two best quality RAW processors out there are Capture One, or Adobe Camera Raw, which comes with Lightroom and Photoshop. I cannot recommend Lightroom highly enough, it is fucking brilliant!

Offline dampaddy

• Can't anyone dry this poor mans addy?
  • Main Stander
« Reply #124 on: December 6, 2007, 11:31:40 am »
I got a 40D, it's lovely.

The 50mm 1.4 USM that I got to go with it is a treat

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
  • Super Title: Keep off the Grass!
« Reply #125 on: December 6, 2007, 11:33:06 am »
Are there any decent SLR's or hybrids available with a wide lens in a bundle? I've a Panasonic Lumix 7 which has a good zoom but need a wider lens than it can offer...
Well, I don't know what it is, but there's definitely something going on upstairs

Offline dampaddy

• Main Stander
« Reply #126 on: December 6, 2007, 11:35:54 am »
MOst SLR's will come with a lens bundle, go for a 17mm which is equivalent to about a 28mm on a 35mm film camera

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
« Reply #127 on: December 6, 2007, 11:40:24 am »
What about this one?
Well, I don't know what it is, but there's definitely something going on upstairs

Offline dampaddy

• Main Stander
« Reply #128 on: December 6, 2007, 01:04:09 pm »
On paper, it looks like a steal.

I have no personal experience of Olympus cameras though, maybe it's a pig to use. Try getting it in your hand and comparing with the 400D from Canon for example.

Offline MolbysBigBelly

• Anny Roader
« Reply #129 on: December 6, 2007, 01:12:16 pm »
I got a 40D, it's lovely.[/i]

The 50mm 1.4 USM that I got to go with it is a treat
Yep.  You're not wrong about that. I haven't had much of a chance to really play because of work, but it appears to be a brilliant bit of kit so far.

I got it with the EFS 17-18 IS lens as part of the kit deal.  That lens on it's own is about £400+ normally, but the kit worked out £200 cheaper.  Then there's the £70 cashback...

I'm hoping to get the 50mm F1.8 in the next week or two.  It's cheap - £65 or less, very plasticky, but supposed to be very good optically.
Thank you, Mr. Moores.

Offline MolbysBigBelly

• Anny Roader
« Reply #130 on: December 6, 2007, 01:24:35 pm »
What about this one?

Not sure.  Olympus use a smaller sensor than Canon and Nikon.  Apparently one of the side effects is that their low light performance isn't as good.  Also, a smaller sensor is likely to result in degraded image quality overall, isn't it? 

With the smaller sensor, your lenses will end up having about a 2x magnification as opposed to the standard 1.6.

I may be way of the mark here, but perhaps someone else with the answers could shed some light (no pun intended) on this.
Thank you, Mr. Moores.

Offline dampaddy

• Main Stander
« Reply #131 on: December 6, 2007, 01:28:42 pm »
MBB - save up for the 50 1.4.

It's a huge improvement on the 1.8 not just optically but also the focus is much better - it's a USM lens

Putting the 1.8 lens on a 40D is bit of a waste of the camera's abilities, I'd say

Offline MolbysBigBelly

• Anny Roader
« Reply #132 on: December 6, 2007, 01:29:37 pm »
Armin, I note that e-buyer are doing the 400D at £440.61 inc VAT.  Then there's £50 cashback from Canon.  Makes it only £40 more than the Olympus.
Thank you, Mr. Moores.

Offline MolbysBigBelly

• Anny Roader
« Reply #133 on: December 6, 2007, 01:36:02 pm »
MBB - save up for the 50 1.4.

It's a huge improvement on the 1.8 not just optically but also the focus is much better - it's a USM lens

Putting the 1.8 lens on a 40D is bit of a waste of the camera's abilities, I'd say

I know... but I'm already saving up for a big fuckoff workstation.  I blew a large wad of that kitty on the 40D.

I might end up having to buy  a normal workstation temporarily until I can afford what I really want.
Thank you, Mr. Moores.

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #134 on: December 6, 2007, 01:37:26 pm »
Armin, I note that e-buyer are doing the 400D at £440.61 inc VAT.  Then there's £50 cashback from Canon.  Makes it only £40 more than the Olympus.

You do get 1 lens as opposed to 2 with the Olympus though, not that I have any idea of the respective quality of the lenses offered in the bundle.

Been getting tempted by the D40x or 400D a little myself recently, but will probably hold off for now.

Armin if 6MP will do for what you need and you also don't need a high zoom lens you can pick up the Nikon D40 on amazon for just under £300

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-D40-Digital-SLR-Camera/dp/B000KIX65S/ref=pd_bbs_sr_4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1196948302&sr=8-4
« Last Edit: December 6, 2007, 01:39:34 pm by filopastry »

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
« Reply #135 on: December 6, 2007, 01:40:02 pm »
Yep it was the coverage of the two lenses in the Olympus deal which was attractive. Plus the standard kit lens with the Canon gets slagged a bit, although I could always use my old slr eos lens with it if required.

to be honest being perpetually skint I'll probably soldier on with my lumix, it's a nice camera and works fine for most things. It's just I really would like a wide option and perhaps sometimes a more serious camera for marketing stuff, landscapes and some more creative photography.

Offline dampaddy

• Main Stander
« Reply #136 on: December 6, 2007, 01:44:20 pm »
I know... but I'm already saving up for a big fuckoff workstation.  I blew a large wad of that kitty on the 40D.

I might end up having to buy  a normal workstation temporarily until I can afford what I really want.

I know all about these sorts of troubles... I'll be buying a cheapo PC myself.

Just saying that the step in quality is very big, I've got both lenses and I would recommend waiting until you can get the price of the 1.4 together. If you can afford a 40D in the first place, you shold put decent glass on it.

Offline MolbysBigBelly

• Anny Roader
« Reply #137 on: December 6, 2007, 01:54:36 pm »
If you can afford a 40D in the first place.
Who said anything about being able to afford a 40D... :whyisn'ttherearaisedeyebrowsmiley:

I would love to get the better lens, but because I've bought it for work purposes, I need to justify the cost of what I've already got.  If I can do that, over the next few weeks/months, I might be a abe to skip the 50 1.8 altogether.  Just have to see how business goes.
Thank you, Mr. Moores.

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: December 6, 2007, 02:04:22 pm »
By the way Armin here's a few reviews of the E500 although how it ocmpares to the competition may have changed since then given they were from 2005

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/e500.html
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse500/

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: December 6, 2007, 08:29:25 pm »
Guys im looking at getting a Canon 400D. Is the Rebel XTI just its name across the pond ? and what would you think of getting a refurbed one off ebay ? Risky ?

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: December 6, 2007, 09:27:52 pm »
The 400D is the same as the Rebel XTI

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
« Reply #141 on: December 6, 2007, 09:41:22 pm »
Ta Filo. I think it looks a hell of a deal but can't really justify it for the amount of times I need a wide lens. I'll reassess in the new year, its a pity that the wide lens conversion kit for the FZ7 is almost the cost of the bloody camera or I'd get that. As it is I'd sooner put the money towards a 'proper' camera...

Offline Sat1

• Banned
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: December 7, 2007, 12:30:02 pm »
This photo is down with a long shutter speed, but how do you stop his face from blurring?

Awsome pic

Offline MolbysBigBelly

• Anny Roader
« Reply #143 on: December 7, 2007, 01:40:58 pm »
This photo is down with a long shutter speed, but how do you stop his face from blurring?

Awsome pic
Not being funny, but... Note that the grass is also blurred/moving, and that's an inportant point.....

It's a technique called "panning".  You use a shutter speed that won't freeze everything, so nothing quick like 1/250th.  You basically let the camera focus on the subject and follow it while firing the shutter.  Because you are moving the lens, the background looks blurred, and because in the above case, the player is running, his hands and feet are blurred.  The face remains sharpish because it's not moving as quick as his hands and feet.  The correct combination of shutter speed and rate at which the camera is moving/tracking the subject  is what allows the face to remain sharp.

It's a technique I tried years ago but never had much success with because I couldn't afford to waste several rolls of film and associated processing costs.

Now that I've gone digital, it's something I'll have to try along with all the other things on  my ever increasing list.
Thank you, Mr. Moores.

Offline MolbysBigBelly

• Anny Roader
« Reply #144 on: December 7, 2007, 04:32:26 pm »
Thank you, Mr. Moores.

Offline grimreaper

• this is a new one... ok it's shite but it is a no-brainer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: December 7, 2007, 05:21:26 pm »
Guys im looking at getting a Canon 400D. Is the Rebel XTI just its name across the pond ? and what would you think of getting a refurbed one off ebay ? Risky ?

Yes there the same , you can buy the body from here http://www.jacobsdigital.co.uk/index.php?target=products&product_id=166534 for £364.99  , but if you order before the end of the year theres a £50 cashback offer from canon , so £ 314.99 which is a great price , then get the lens of your choice

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: December 7, 2007, 08:23:41 pm »

Awsome pic

What Molby'sBigBelly says above is exactly what you need to do, it can take a little bit of messing around to get the right settings but it can be worth it. I was at a Nikon Expo at the Manchester Velodrome last month and took these, my first go at doing anything like this btw. Thought it was as good a time as any to try some panning.

f18, 1/15, ISO1600

f14, 1/13, ISO1600

Keep both eyes open, and pan with the camera for a bit until they're in the 'position' you want, then release the shutter and keep the same speed, the momentum of the initial movement should help you to keep them in focus!

Offline MolbysBigBelly

• Anny Roader
« Reply #147 on: December 8, 2007, 02:32:45 pm »
I got a 40D, it's lovely.

Have you done the firmware update?  I haven't had any problems with the camera since I haven't really used it much and still using the factory shipped firmware.
Thank you, Mr. Moores.

Offline dampaddy

• Main Stander
« Reply #148 on: December 10, 2007, 10:14:59 am »
Didn't do the firmware update, no

Nice pictures, Claire. I tried some panning at the weekend too, the kids on a merry-go-round at the xmas market. Didn't come out as good as them, by a long way...  maybe the glühwein I'd had beforehand didn't help

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: December 12, 2007, 06:36:51 pm »
Just got myself a Canon 400D. Well happy

Offline nyctex

• God Bless America
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Close your eyes...and imagine it's Jason McAteer
« Reply #150 on: December 12, 2007, 09:48:13 pm »
just bought the wife a Canon 40D for Christmas. 

I don't know much about cameras, but the reviews were all very positive.

She used to do a lot of photography, but hasn't for a number of years.  She hinted a couple times that she wants to get back into it.

Offline MolbysBigBelly

• Anny Roader
« Reply #151 on: December 13, 2007, 11:52:40 am »
just bought the wife a Canon 40D for Christmas. 

I don't know much about cameras, but the reviews were all very positive.

She used to do a lot of photography, but hasn't for a number of years.  She hinted a couple times that she wants to get back into it.

With the limited time I've had with it so far, I'd say it's such a good camera, that you've just bought yourself several months (at least) of goodwill from the missus.  You can screw up in all sorts of ways and every time she's about to give you grief, ask her if she likes her new 40D.  Should work for at least 6 months, if not more.
Thank you, Mr. Moores.

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: December 13, 2007, 08:21:47 pm »
Just attached my lense onto me new 400D and its not working ! I cant zoom in or out ? Any idea rawkites ?

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: December 13, 2007, 08:57:26 pm »
You trying to use auto focus and a manual switch is on? Or, maybe the other way round and the camera is locking it up?

Offline wacko

• Keepsh a shecret gottle of Shcotch in hish top drawer. Cunning linguist and ical genius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: December 14, 2007, 09:45:29 am »
My neighbour's just bought the 40D, so I'm thinking of making him an offer for his old 350D. What's one of those worth (must be about 2 years old)? I guess I'll need a lens, too.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #155 on: December 14, 2007, 10:05:11 am »
My neighbour's just bought the 40D, so I'm thinking of making him an offer for his old 350D. What's one of those worth (must be about 2 years old)? I guess I'll need a lens, too.

my mate just got one second hand (pretty much as new though) for £200. Including a lens (I'm assuming its the one it came with).

Offline MolbysBigBelly

• Anny Roader
« Reply #156 on: December 14, 2007, 11:35:21 am »
Just attached my lense onto me new 400D and its not working ! I cant zoom in or out ? Any idea rawkites ?
What lens is it?
You trying to use auto focus and a manual switch is on? Or, maybe the other way round and the camera is locking it up?
Most likely.
Thank you, Mr. Moores.

Offline wacko

• Keepsh a shecret gottle of Shcotch in hish top drawer. Cunning linguist and ical genius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: December 14, 2007, 11:38:55 am »
my mate just got one second hand (pretty much as new though) for £200. Including a lens (I'm assuming its the one it came with).
Ta. I'll offer him 300 euros then.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: December 15, 2007, 01:28:01 pm »
Got me lens sorted, ta lads.

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: December 28, 2007, 08:20:26 pm »
^^^^ Bump

Guys, im looking for a new zoom lense for me 400D. Wanting to do it on the cheap so looking at the Tamron and sigma 50mm-200mm. Anyone have any experience of either ?