Author Topic: Quoting long posts, a polite request.  (Read 8614 times)

Offline AndyP

• Gave his away for an ale.
  • Legacy Fan
Quoting long posts, a polite request.
« on: October 10, 2006, 09:12:28 pm »
A good number of us here, I would imagine, browse the site occasionally by some form of mobile communication device (a PHONE!!).

Anyway, what I would like to ask anyone who is reading this is, when replying to a post that contains for example, a news article, the the person replying not quote the entire previous post (long ones I mean). Either refer to it by posting a few lines or edit in the sentence you would like to use. It would just make the site a little more usuable when browsing from a mobile.

Thank you.

Pheeny

Re: Quoting long posts, a polite request.
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 09:16:35 pm »
good point.

Offline gerrardspetal

• Rabid psycho nut harvester with no idea - but she did have some points
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • miaaaaaaaaaaow
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 09:17:54 pm »
Fair comment.
“You could say it’s not about being local, but about being vocal.
Kristian is a idiot.  A bad idiot.  Also a virgin.

@gerrardspetal - twitter

Offline anon-y-mouse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2006, 09:28:19 pm »
Seconded. Long post quotes are a major ballache when using a mobile to access.

Pheeny

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2006, 09:29:58 pm »
good point.
Fair comment.
Seconded. Long post quotes are a major ballache when using a mobile to access.
and with that topic locked...

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2006, 09:30:22 pm »

For anyone who's not sure how the function works.

[ quote author=gerrardspetal link=topic=147326.msg2341917#msg2341917 date=1160511474 ]

air com

[ /quote ]

equals

air com

It's easy enough to select the text you want to pick up on and delete the rest (whatever is between the square-bracketed quote tags)

Long unnecessary quotes annoy me enough on 1280x1024, must be real brainache on a palmtop or phone....

87:13

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2006, 09:31:09 pm »
They are a major ball ache full stop. Whether your on a phone or not.

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2006, 09:33:18 pm »
They are a major ball ache full stop. Whether your on a phone or not.

Particularly when someone's quoted the entire New Testament just to reply with ':D'

Really grips my shit, and I'm clearly not the only one.
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Offline gerrardspetal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • miaaaaaaaaaaow
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2006, 09:33:49 pm »
air com ???

edit*
oh yeah. just got it.....  fair comment
« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 09:36:10 pm by gerrardspetal »

@gerrardspetal - twitter

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2006, 09:35:44 pm »

Just deleted "the bits I didn't want" for an example... :P

Offline gerrardspetal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • miaaaaaaaaaaow
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2006, 09:37:44 pm »
Just deleted "the bits I didn't want" for an example... :P

:D  I did. honest :P

@gerrardspetal - twitter

Offline Ben S

• Remember we were partners in crime. Pigeon Fancier. GTL Bus Freak. Also known as Bambi, apparently - or Miss Kitty on Wednesdays....
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2006, 09:53:09 pm »
Personally I just delete posts that quote an entire long article to add 5 words.

For anyone who's not sure how the

You could have used the nobbc tags ;).

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2006, 09:55:24 pm »

Offline Ben S

• Remember we were partners in crime. Pigeon Fancier. GTL Bus Freak. Also known as Bambi, apparently - or Miss Kitty on Wednesdays....
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2006, 10:01:19 pm »
[quote author=Barney_Rubble link=topic=147326.msg2341997#msg2341997 date=1160513724]
chose not to :D

[/quote]

Fool

Offline grifter

• Merderer on the Orient Express. The Brian Sewell of RAWK.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2006, 10:09:14 pm »
Personally I just delete posts that quote an entire long article to add 5 words.

You could have used the nobbc tags ;).

Fuckin lost me.

Being a pc bellend may I ask that when I just want to post a picture why does red writing appear saying "subject field not filled in " or something like that. Do I have to type in the box to enable me to post a pic. ?

Again, can you please explain like you talking to a mute, crosseyed, hick with ADT who has never seen an airplane.

PS, you can quote my post as its not that long, but agree with above as it does my head in too, especialy when the reply is just a  :o

Grayson Perry is a talentless attention seeking gobshite. Wolfgang Tillmans is a bell-end. Cy Twombly is a nob-ead.

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2006, 10:09:51 pm »

Ahhhhh right, was thinking of something else, them right-click bbcode addons for Firefox...

Offline Ben S

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2006, 10:20:30 pm »
Fuckin lost me.

I'll spell it out then ;D.

When someone quotes a big fuck off post, only to reply to it with exactly, or similar, I just delete that persons post.

Being a pc bellend may I ask that when I just want to post a picture why does red writing appear saying "subject field not filled in " or something like that. Do I have to type in the box to enable me to post a pic. ?

Because it's a bug in SMF 1.1 RC3.

Offline grifter

• Merderer on the Orient Express. The Brian Sewell of RAWK.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2006, 10:27:42 pm »
I'll spell it out then ;D.

When someone quotes a big fuck off post, only to reply to it with exactly, or similar, I just delete that persons post.

Because it's a bug in SMF 1.1 RC3.

;D  Right, its obvious now. Thought it was the old fuckin SMF 1.1 RC3 myself  ???

Just to make you aware that my PC  abilities stretch to BIG BOOBS and SHELL OIL on a calculator.

Fuck it, I'll just type  "the"  in the box and I can post a pic.  :wave
Grayson Perry is a talentless attention seeking gobshite. Wolfgang Tillmans is a bell-end. Cy Twombly is a nob-ead.

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2006, 09:03:04 am »
SHELL OIL on a calculator.
Ha ha, you're mental man!

Offline Ste G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2006, 03:34:08 pm »
It's also really annoying when people quote pictures that have been posted. You don't need to see the picture again and you don't need to quote it to make your point.

I also don't understand why people quote large chunks of text or pictures and then add a  ;D or a "good news" or "nice pic" etc. Pointless.

Offline Kaizer

• Quaresmatic
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wonder is the beginning of wisdom.
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2006, 03:23:44 pm »
Thought this was worth bumping today, so far we have eight and still counting quotes with one line replies of Nidgemo`s rant in the manc thread.

I know it should not annoy me but it does and I thought I should count them to see if anyone got the message, but my hopes are not high.
There will always be more sheep than shepherds.

“One of my favourites is Ricardo Quaresma. The day I go back to coaching I will do everything possible to sign him. Quaresma could make any club have that extra step up in quality.” - M.Lippi, August 2007

Just fuckin sign him!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzSNuQHwZLE

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2006, 05:35:10 pm »

See if you'd posted here in the first place, or reported the 8th one or whatever, it probably would've just got done.

Without having to then remove your post about it in the thread and all its references...

« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 05:38:35 pm by Barney_Rubble »

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2006, 06:15:11 pm »
It's also really annoying when people quote pictures that have been posted. You don't need to see the picture again and you don't need to quote it to make your point.

I also don't understand why people quote large chunks of text or pictures and then add a  ;D or a "good news" or "nice pic" etc. Pointless.

When the pictures are quoted it should not be a bandwidth issue. If the picture is attached and hosted by RAWK it is not quoted. If the picture is hosted elsewhere and linked by the [ img] tag.

In that case your browser caches the picture and thus incurs no extra download time.

Offline Kaizer

• Quaresmatic
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wonder is the beginning of wisdom.
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2006, 06:55:55 pm »
See if you'd posted here in the first place, or reported the 8th one or whatever, it probably would've just got done.

Without having to then remove your post about it in the thread and all its references...

I guess you are right, if my post about it in the mancs thread on the subject have caused an uproar I apologize.

On the other hand if people read about it then they may understand were the ones with my perspective on the issue came from and might think a bit further the next time.

But I agree Barney I could just have reported it instead, but I guess I felt it was not a big crime and maybe some kind words would sort it instead, but since I`m not a mod and don't want to come around as a wannabe mod either I thought I should try and see if they got it with the first post on the matter, I guess I was wrong. :-X
There will always be more sheep than shepherds.

“One of my favourites is Ricardo Quaresma. The day I go back to coaching I will do everything possible to sign him. Quaresma could make any club have that extra step up in quality.” - M.Lippi, August 2007

Just fuckin sign him!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzSNuQHwZLE

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2006, 08:08:46 pm »

I guess I felt it was not a big crime and maybe some kind words would sort it instead

Now who's being naďve. ;)

No worries...

Offline Ste G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2006, 09:43:26 am »
When the pictures are quoted it should not be a bandwidth issue. If the picture is attached and hosted by RAWK it is not quoted. If the picture is hosted elsewhere and linked by the [ img] tag.

In that case your browser caches the picture and thus incurs no extra download time.

It's got nothing to do with download times, it's just irritating having to scroll over them again.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2006, 10:15:07 am »
As Barney is drumming up trade on the "Report to moderators" link; I am wary of the infinitely expanding demands on mods time and generally try not to report trivial stuff to mods as it wastes their time and makes you look like a pendantic arse.  Do you have any idea of how many reports to the mods are made in a day/week/year (whatever is easiest). I know the answer is - depends and as Sunday approaches it will get much, much worse. I was just wondering how many people actually do report stuff and if I was the only one?

(Cue Grass post).

Offline Spartacus.

• I dragged Rafa into the pub. Knits only with the finest quality Wools.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • KFS
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2006, 10:20:12 am »
We don't get that many, maybe three a day.  Some people prefer to PM a particular mod directly.
RAWK anti scouse?
YNWA is more than a song, think about it.

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
Quoting long posts
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2016, 08:36:00 pm »
Would it be possible to change the forum settings/code in such a way that when quoting a long post, say posts longer than 2500 words (and/or) more than 30 lines, the quoted text gets replaced by "quote" or "snip" automatically? Many a times, beautifully worded posts gets quoted multiple times over a number of pages with just a one liner reply and it does tend to ruin the flow of the page, and the reading experience. I know there is a rule that such one liners should be avoided but it, sometimes, is difficult to moderate every aspect of forum rules. Maybe this could also be extended to quoting pics/gifs to save data bandwidth.

I am not sure how easy or difficult it would be to do this. Or if such a system was ever in place earlier. But it would certainly make reading RAWK a much better experience.

:wave

Offline L666KOP

• Wants everyone to fuck off. Especially you. Yes YOU! Too Tender for Tinder. Would swallow his knob on a genuine fuck up.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Quoting long posts
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2016, 10:35:10 pm »
Would it be possible to change the forum settings/code in such a way that when quoting a long post, say posts longer than 2500 words (and/or) more than 30 lines, the quoted text gets replaced by "quote" or "snip" automatically? Many a times, beautifully worded posts gets quoted multiple times over a number of pages with just a one liner reply and it does tend to ruin the flow of the page, and the reading experience. I know there is a rule that such one liners should be avoided but it, sometimes, is difficult to moderate every aspect of forum rules. Maybe this could also be extended to quoting pics/gifs to save data bandwidth.

I am not sure how easy or difficult it would be to do this. Or if such a system was ever in place earlier. But it would certainly make reading RAWK a much better experience.

No
13mins - Bournemouth have gone home. Utd kicked off anyway. Still 0-0 as Smalling passes it back to De Gea.

Offline Kopite B205

• Loves Siemen. And Judge Judy. But not at the same time.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In my life, we've won them all.
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2016, 10:37:36 pm »

Meh
Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2016, 10:50:17 pm »

This
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2016, 10:55:27 pm »

Maybe

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2016, 10:57:02 pm »

The worst is when someone messes up the quote and types their reply inside the original message.

Offline terrible suits

• Formerly: terrisus
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Justice for the 96 - You'll Never Walk Alone
    • terrisus.com
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2016, 11:02:15 pm »
"snip" automatically? Many a times, beautifully

I'm sure it can be arranged.

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2016, 08:26:45 am »
 :boxhead :boxhead

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2016, 11:52:27 am »
This is why we should have a rep system, people can pos rep the post instead of quoting it a million times and cluttering up the page.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2016, 11:57:04 am »
This is why we should have a rep system, people can pos rep the post instead of quoting it a million times and cluttering up the page.

We don't want rep whores. The best posts on RAWK are the ones the challenge the orthodoxy. They would be downvoted as people do not agree with the post, but they perform an essential role in challenging the assumptions of the majority.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2016, 11:59:47 am »
We don't want rep whores. The best posts on RAWK are the ones the challenge the orthodoxy. They would be downvoted as people do not agree with the post, but they perform an essential role in challenging the assumptions of the majority.

But then I'll never get to downvote the posts of people I don't like without even reading them.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2016, 12:02:18 pm »
But then I'll never get to downvote the posts of people I don't like without even reading them.

May I suggest the Daily Mail comment page? You can downvote everything without reading it.