Author Topic: Chasing the Title  (Read 1399498 times)

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
Re: Chasing the Title
« Reply #8560 on: March 20, 2019, 10:01:07 am »
The key games imo for City are Utd and Palace away. I know Spurs are probably a better team than both, but I think they’re more likely to beat City over two legs in the CL than in the league.
As it’s their only possible trophy left they may be stronger, line up wise, in those games than the league, despite top 4 being at risk.

We can perhaps influence Spurs approach though, by beating them in the league and making the league game against City potentially more important to them.

What I would say is more likely to happen is they drop points before the City game in the league (most importantly hopefully getting beat by us), end up getting knocked out by City, then realize they need to salvage their season, starting by going for a much needed win at the Etihad.

Offline JCB

• Sponsors of Digger Barnes.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8561 on: March 20, 2019, 12:06:36 pm »
And one little detail more: we are incredible at home, winning 13 and drawing 2, conceding just 9 goals. Undefeated in 36 matches at home. Those four home games are massive for us.

Whilst I agree with you wholeheartedly I find it ironic that it's actually our home results that's dragging us down relatively speaking.

Liverpool PPG:                 Home     2.73   Away     2.19
Manchester City PPG:       Home     2.81   Away     2.07 

The Caveat here is that we have played 15/16  (H/A)   vs  City's 16/14 so things can still change

In a season were we remain undefeated at Anfield and have recorded a whopping 2.73 PPG games at home we still pop up 2nd best in this stat and ultimately it could be City's home record that could clinch it (God I hope not). It's ridiculous how much both teams are pushing each other and how little room for error there is.

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8562 on: March 20, 2019, 12:18:24 pm »
The key games imo for City are Utd and Palace away. I know Spurs are probably a better team than both, but I think they’re more likely to beat City over two legs in the CL than in the league.
As it’s their only possible trophy left they may be stronger, line up wise, in those games than the league, despite top 4 being at risk.

We can perhaps influence Spurs approach though, by beating them in the league and making the league game against City potentially more important to them.

I know anything can happen now in the Champions League - we're down to that point - but realistically Spurs won't be winning it.  And although they are of course gonna give their best - they probably know it too.

Top 4 is vital for the at the moment.  Absolutely vital.  They'll give it everything in the league game against City, as well as the Champs League games against them too.  Probably lose all three mind  ;D

We can but hope otherwise though.

Offline phonic

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8563 on: March 20, 2019, 12:26:31 pm »
I hate international breaks, but to have one now is fucking ludicrous.   No one gives a slimy shit, we just want to get on with proper football.  Fucking hell, 2 weeks until we see the Reds!!  Ridiculous.

I know what you mean mate, and usually I agree. But as long as our lads come back fresh from international duty, I'm not too bothered by this break. Gives everyone a chance to reset a bit after one hell of a week and 3 difficult games. We've finished this set of games on the perfect note - everyone is on a high, confident etc. which should mean Anfield will be bouncing by the time Spurs come and that'll hopefully push us on to win that. It's just about ticking games off as they come now.

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8564 on: March 20, 2019, 12:40:21 pm »
Agree with others, it's the psychological and physical aspects that are the main challenges City need to overcome. Drop points in one game before the final three and I reckon it's highly likely they do so again, even more so if we follow it up with a win. It's the Palace game I think is crucial. Any slip up there and they start coming under real pressure - IF we do our job. The absolutely crucial part of that is to firstly beat Spurs, then Southampton and finally Chelsea. Honestly believe if we do we'll win the title.

Scenario as I see it:

We beat Spurs and Southampton, and City, I presume, beat Fulham and Cardiff. They then go into their away at Palace. Drop points there and we have the opportunity to go 4 or 5 points clear by beating Chelsea. City would still have a game in hand. This would make the game at Spurs a HUGE pressure fixture. A draw or defeat to Spurs after palace would give us the chance to get to a 6 or 7 point lead after Cardiff away.

Even if they drop points in just one of the Palace and Spurs games, we'd at worse be 1 point ahead after the same games played. We'd have a chance to extend to 4 points by beating Cardiff A. They'd then go to Old Trafford, having to win. It will be their 7th massive game in 22 days. Dropped points there mean we'd have a 3 or 4 point lead after the same games played going into the final three games...

Even here, we play Huddersfield at home before City travel to Burnley. Another chance to make that points gap look a problem, or even just HUGE, at that stage of the season. If they've just drawn one game and we've won them all, we'd be 4 ahead with them needed to beat a Burnley team, hopefully, desperate for any sort of result. If they've drawn twice, say Spurs and Utd, then by beating Huddersfield at home, we'd be 6 points clear. A draw and a defeat for City = 7 points.

Again, I realise this requires a perfect run of 5 victories from us, against two top 6 teams, and two teams fighting for their life. I think it does show that we have a huge chance to put pressure on them by winning at Spurs and Southampton though. At that point, they have to play catch up across the Palace, Spurs, United and Burnley games. I'm pretty sure we play our final two league games at the same time.

In summary. I think we'll win it if we can win our next three. I think City will drop points in two, maybe three of the Palace, Spurs, United and Burnley games if we do. I think we'll go into the game at Newcastle with a win securing the league.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 12:46:26 pm by wige »

Offline Scouser-Tommy

• Legacy Fan
  • Allez, Allez, Allez...
« Reply #8565 on: March 20, 2019, 12:52:43 pm »
This would make the game at Spurs a HUGE pressure fixture. A draw or defeat to Spurs after palace would give us the chance to get to a 6 or 7 point lead after Cardiff away.
We are both at home to Spurs mate, let's get our one out of the way first and see how we get on from there.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8566 on: March 20, 2019, 01:07:15 pm »
Tottenham could have a massive say in our destiny , must win game for us against them then they take City on, we have 6 games in April, City have 8 of which 3 of them are against Spurs, CL semi final first leg is 31st April/1 May in which potentially they have Ronaldo and his mates if they overcome Spurs,  they have a big squad agreed but that will be stretched to the maximum

Wonder what the chances are of Spurs reacting poorly to missing opportunities like Pochettino at Burnely, and the whole team at Chelsea (after they equalised while Spurs were chasing Leicester). They utterly kicked the shit out of Hazard and anyone they could, instead of spending half an hour chasing a winner.

Their CL game is decided before the league game. If Spurs are knocked out, but secure for 4th, I expect them to play ugly.

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8567 on: March 20, 2019, 01:11:23 pm »
We are both at home to Spurs mate, let's get our one out of the way first and see how we get on from there.

Nah, right now I'm bored at work and endlessly thinking about footy. At some point we'll look back and reflect on the way things unfolded. I'm just having a go a predicting ahead of time.

They've done us proud whatever the outcome.

Online Byrnee

• Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool are Magic, Everton are Tragic
« Reply #8568 on: March 20, 2019, 01:16:03 pm »
Latest Compressed version, with amended fixtures. Added Home and Away league fixtures info at top, and capitalised home ties. City potentially have a tricky trip to Turin before final league game.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 02:16:54 pm by Byrnee »
'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool.'
Bill Shankly

01 06 22 23 47 64 66 73 76 77 79 80 82 83 84 86 88 90 20

77 78 81 84 05 19

At The End Of The Storm I

Online Byrnee

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8569 on: March 20, 2019, 01:18:14 pm »
Expanded schedule. Looking at the days in-between fixtures, and bearing in mind travel (lots of aways / Wembley) they will have to be in absolutely unheard of form to not drop a point / win the Quadruple this season.

Bill Shankly

77 78 81 84 05 19

Online Byrnee

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8570 on: March 20, 2019, 01:20:57 pm »

League fixtures remaining:

Liverpool: 4 at home, 3 away

City: 3 at home, 5 away

:o
Bill Shankly

77 78 81 84 05 19

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #8571 on: March 20, 2019, 01:29:22 pm »
While I generally agree with the one game at a time mantra I don’t mind admitting that I’m becoming increasingly intrigued as to who is going to be the non LFC hero? For us to win the league, someone needs to score a particular goal/GK needs to have a worldie. We’re going to win the league, but who is the player we’ll all be indebted to?
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline actwithoutwords

• postswithoutreading
  • Kopite
« Reply #8572 on: March 20, 2019, 01:39:50 pm »
Agree about the importance of sequencing and psychology in this. We need to make sure that they are the next team to drop points and not us. 3 wins from our next 3 would put massive pressure on them. Kettling Pep's head is key to this.

In amongst all this talk of City tiring from the schedule etc, we can't ignore the possibility that it's the other competitions they fuck up and not the league. It could be the semi with Brighton or the CL games with Spurs where they lose focus and fuck up. Fucking hope and pray it's the league where they crack.

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #8573 on: March 20, 2019, 01:41:22 pm »
While I generally agree with the one game at a time mantra I don’t mind admitting that I’m becoming increasingly intrigued as to who is going to be the non LFC hero? For us to win the league, someone needs to score a particular goal/GK needs to have a worldie. We’re going to win the league, but who is the player we’ll all be indebted to?
Or manager, Rafa and Rogers both have chance to lend a hand, though given they are both home games for City perhaps unlikely.
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Online JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #8574 on: March 20, 2019, 01:48:35 pm »

Jordan Pickford.
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline ABJ

• Legacy Fan
  • Internet terrorist
« Reply #8575 on: March 20, 2019, 01:52:55 pm »
Agree with others, it's the psychological and physical aspects that are the main challenges City need to overcome. Drop points in one game before the final three and I reckon it's highly likely they do so again, even more so if we follow it up with a win. It's the Palace game I think is crucial. Any slip up there and they start coming under real pressure - IF we do our job. The absolutely crucial part of that is to firstly beat Spurs, then Southampton and finally Chelsea. Honestly believe if we do we'll win the title.

Scenario as I see it:

We beat Spurs and Southampton, and City, I presume, beat Fulham and Cardiff. They then go into their away at Palace. Drop points there and we have the opportunity to go 4 or 5 points clear by beating Chelsea. City would still have a game in hand. This would make the game at Spurs a HUGE pressure fixture. A draw or defeat to Spurs after palace would give us the chance to get to a 6 or 7 point lead after Cardiff away.

Even if they drop points in just one of the Palace and Spurs games, we'd at worse be 1 point ahead after the same games played. We'd have a chance to extend to 4 points by beating Cardiff A. They'd then go to Old Trafford, having to win. It will be their 7th massive game in 22 days. Dropped points there mean we'd have a 3 or 4 point lead after the same games played going into the final three games...

Even here, we play Huddersfield at home before City travel to Burnley. Another chance to make that points gap look a problem, or even just HUGE, at that stage of the season. If they've just drawn one game and we've won them all, we'd be 4 ahead with them needed to beat a Burnley team, hopefully, desperate for any sort of result. If they've drawn twice, say Spurs and Utd, then by beating Huddersfield at home, we'd be 6 points clear. A draw and a defeat for City = 7 points.

Again, I realise this requires a perfect run of 5 victories from us, against two top 6 teams, and two teams fighting for their life. I think it does show that we have a huge chance to put pressure on them by winning at Spurs and Southampton though. At that point, they have to play catch up across the Palace, Spurs, United and Burnley games. I'm pretty sure we play our final two league games at the same time.

In summary. I think we'll win it if we can win our next three. I think City will drop points in two, maybe three of the Palace, Spurs, United and Burnley games if we do. I think we'll go into the game at Newcastle with a win securing the league.
Only the very last game for us both (as well as everyone else) will be played at the same time.
Quote from: Harvest Fields
i watched the chelsea game at my sisters. her 12 year old son is severly autistic and i forgot myself and jumped up screaming at the goal and he went nuts. screaming and shouting. scared the fuck out of me. apologised to my sister as i thought id upset him, turns out he was joining in.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8576 on: March 20, 2019, 01:53:44 pm »
Or manager, Rafa and Rogers both have chance to lend a hand, though given they are both home games for City perhaps unlikely.

They don't play newcastle, do they? We do like.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline PatriotScouser

• Legacy Fan
  • I could agree with you but then we’d both be wrong
« Reply #8577 on: March 20, 2019, 01:59:17 pm »
I personally see both of us dropping points, however I see City dropping more points than us.

We can only do our best so enjoy the ride!

Offline Salty Dog

• Sworn enemy of Sugary Cat.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Put Captain Solo in the cargo hold.
« Reply #8578 on: March 20, 2019, 02:05:19 pm »

Wouldn't it be wild if City drop points to Cardiff (in and of itself that's just about wild enough) and we're left indebted to Colin Wanker?
It's like all punishments though, isn't it. You just have to close your eyes, grit your teeth and think of England. - Yorkykopite

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8579 on: March 20, 2019, 02:07:19 pm »
They don't play newcastle, do they? We do like.
No you’re right, thought they did as well. Still I’m sure Rogers would love to feel he had a hand in helping us win the league finally after 13/14

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #8580 on: March 20, 2019, 02:08:59 pm »

Michy Batshuayi.

I know United is on paper their most difficult game but I think if they are to drop points will be against a team we don't expect them to i.e. Palace or Burnley despite them being shit. I reckon if United play the way the faced us, City will win that.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8581 on: March 20, 2019, 02:10:04 pm »
Wouldn't it be wild if City drop points to Cardiff (in and of itself that's just about wild enough) and we're left indebted to Colin Wanker?

We could find ourselves in debt to everyone from Colin, to Solskjaer, to Harry Kane, to Sean Dyche, to Brendan to....Roy...between now and the end of the season.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8582 on: March 20, 2019, 02:27:01 pm »
We could find ourselves in debt to everyone from Colin, to Solskjaer, to Harry Kane, to Sean Dyche, to Brendan to....Roy...between now and the end of the season.
To be honest if we win the league it’s not going to be down to any one game that we or they are involved in, it’ll be due to everyone of our games across the season, our players and our staff. That’s who we will really be indebted to (if that’s even the right word).

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8583 on: March 20, 2019, 02:31:48 pm »
To be honest if we win the league it’s not going to be down to any one game that we or they are involved in, it’ll be due to everyone of our games across the season, our players and our staff. That’s who we will really be indebted to (if that’s even the right word).

You're absolutely correct. But I'll be contemplating Roy getting a statue next to shankly's if he takes all 3 points against city in a few weeks!

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8584 on: March 20, 2019, 02:43:40 pm »
Kane will dive against City to win a penalty that he'll claim he scored even if he didn't the beautiful bastard.
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline 88_RED

• Not a real bookie though.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8585 on: March 20, 2019, 02:46:41 pm »
Kane will dive against City to win a penalty that he'll claim he scored even if he didn't the beautiful bastard.

As long as Spuds can claim the 3 points, I'll be fine with Harry claiming the crown jewels mate..
F*CK 0FF Mourinho..

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8586 on: March 20, 2019, 03:21:33 pm »

Lets wait until we play them before celebrating any scumbag antics from the likes of Kane. He is just as likely to do it against us and we would curse his name forever more.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #8587 on: March 20, 2019, 04:03:51 pm »
As long as Spuds can claim the 3 points, I'll be fine with Harry claiming the crown jewels mate..

I'd take Spurs taking a point.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #8588 on: March 20, 2019, 04:24:52 pm »
Michy Batshuayi.

I know United is on paper their most difficult game but I think if they are to drop points will be against a team we don't expect them to i.e. Palace or Burnley despite them being shit. I reckon if United play the way the faced us, City will win that.

Connor Wickham II, this time it’s personal.

Offline Gerry83

• Meff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Used to be Jeff, too much crystal
« Reply #8589 on: March 20, 2019, 04:31:08 pm »
I've always felt that City had the easier run in. Its fair to say they've been scraping through games in terms of goals (much like ourselves to some degree) but generally they've controlled and bossed those games. If we miss out by one point it would be gutting, as it likely means we've had a great run at the end winning all our games but City have too.

If they do drop points their fixtures away to Palace, home to Spurs and away to Utd seem the places most likely and therefore it feels as thought the next 3 games are the biggest of the season. Anything other than 3 points in each of them and i can see it galvanizing City in the league, even at the expense of the CL. 

Maybe i'm romanticizing and getting blinded somewhat by our own history here but has there ever been a title race as close as this that hasn't taken a few twists and turns in the final handful of games?

Offline fridge

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
« Reply #8590 on: March 20, 2019, 04:37:26 pm »
We all know Liverpool don't do "easy"

If we do this it'll almost certainly be an "AGUERO" style finish. The 98th minute and last kick of the bloody season.

But you know what?  I'd happily take that  ;D

COYMR!!
Each night before I go to bed I thank the Lord that I'm a Red

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8591 on: March 20, 2019, 04:39:59 pm »
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline fridge

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
« Reply #8592 on: March 20, 2019, 04:45:54 pm »
Come On You Mighty Reds    ;)
Each night before I go to bed I thank the Lord that I'm a Red

Offline SteveZissou

• "Anyone who knows the game..." exactly what game is a mystery. Underwater Bell. The Life A-Twat-Ic. Thinks "irony" means "like metal". Shite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • you might be on B Squad, but ur the B squad leader
« Reply #8593 on: March 20, 2019, 04:52:02 pm »
Yo, I'm happier that we won't be giving City 2 games in hand, cos i keep having nightmares of a few years ago when we were happy with our games in hand but then those bast**** won them all.

I'd rather they think we going to lose a point here or there, and drop points. That season they knew they had to win them all and the bast****s did, including that World Cup final against Everton.
Following Liverpool since the mid 80s.

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
« Reply #8594 on: March 20, 2019, 04:52:43 pm »
Connor Wickham II, this time it’s personal.

Will be a shite film
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline Perham

• Effes v2.0 - RAWK's Official Dog Snogger!
  • Legacy Fan
  • All is well
« Reply #8595 on: March 20, 2019, 04:58:23 pm »
Rafa and Hodgson have both done their part for the cause and now it's time for Brendan to be the hero! Would it be too much to ask for to win the league at Rafa's Newcastle having just seen Brendan's Leicester tear city apart? That would be the dream!
if I came home to allison in bed with my wife I'd ask him to phone Virgil to see if he wanted to pop round too.

Offline SteveZissou

• "Anyone who knows the game..." exactly what game is a mystery. Underwater Bell. The Life A-Twat-Ic. Thinks "irony" means "like metal". Shite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • you might be on B Squad, but ur the B squad leader
« Reply #8596 on: March 20, 2019, 05:12:07 pm »
Rafa and Hodgson have both done their part for the cause and now it's time for Brendan to be the hero! Would it be too much to ask for to win the league at Rafa's Newcastle having just seen Brendan's Leicester tear city apart? That would be the dream!

How would you feel if Rafa beats us then? It's not like he's going to lay down like all those former Man Utd players like Steve Bruce and the other six of them.
Following Liverpool since the mid 80s.

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
« Reply #8597 on: March 20, 2019, 05:13:27 pm »
How would you feel if Rafa beats us then? It's not like he's going to lay down like all those former Man Utd players like Steve Bruce and the other six of them.

I would not be angry at him. He is doing what is best for his team and players. I would be disappointed in us.
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8598 on: March 20, 2019, 05:16:18 pm »

I've started to prepare for this to be honest. We're hardly just going to grind out the season both winning each game until it all dusts down. It's liverpool, when it ends it'll be in the most heart-wrenching embarrassing way it possibly could end. Rafa beating us feels about right for that. And I still couldnt' hate him for it.

Offline Perham

• Effes v2.0 - RAWK's Official Dog Snogger!
  • Legacy Fan
  • All is well
« Reply #8599 on: March 20, 2019, 05:20:56 pm »
He's Newcastle manager and would be doing what's best for them so I would still love him. I can't deny it would hurt though and losing the league to Rafa would be such a painful way for it to be lost, probably the worst way it could possibly go.
if I came home to allison in bed with my wife I'd ask him to phone Virgil to see if he wanted to pop round too.