Author Topic: The 2021 Formula 1 “Gives you whinge…”  (Read 314944 times)

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
Re: The 2021 Formula 1 “Gives you whinge…”
« Reply #6680 on: December 2, 2021, 11:28:33 am »
Don't be a Tory, mate.

You know what I was getting at. They should still contribute.

if someone moves overseas and lives overseas then they're no longer a citizen of this country.

if they then choose to piss and moan about the state of public services in this country from where they are, then that's a problem and they should be called out on it.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6681 on: December 2, 2021, 11:31:05 am »
What does that even mean? :D

Happy for the rich to simply move away to dodge tax. Similar to offshore accounts. It's pure Tory thinking to think the rules don't need to change to stop the rich doing that so easily whilst not contributing anything.

Hamilton got such a bashing for it in the press, I wonder if Norris will.

Either way Norris was wearing a helmet in support for the NHS but doesn't seem to want to help himself.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #6682 on: December 2, 2021, 11:34:07 am »
Happy for the rich to simply move away to dodge tax. Similar to offshore accounts. It's pure Tory thinking to think the rules don't need to change to stop the rich doing that so easily whilst not contributing anything.

Hamilton got such a bashing for it in the press, I wonder if Norris will.

Either way Norris was wearing a helmet in support for the NHS but doesn't seem to want to help himself.

He didn't say he was happy for it though, he said 'you can't really stop people moving away from England' which is you know....right.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6683 on: December 2, 2021, 11:36:34 am »
He didn't say he was happy for it though, he said 'you can't really stop people moving away from England' which is you know....right.

Of course you can't but the rules should be able to change about how income tax is paid if you live abroad, especially in tax havens.

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #6684 on: December 2, 2021, 11:37:57 am »
Of course you can't but the rules should be able to change about how income tax is paid if you live abroad, especially in tax havens.

I'm still waiting to see what "rules" you mean.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6685 on: December 2, 2021, 11:41:41 am »

You think there should be rules that say non-citizens of a country should pay tax to a country. I fear you've as much chance as the rule I want to enforce involving Scarlett Johanson.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline clinical

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6686 on: December 2, 2021, 11:44:01 am »
I'm still waiting to see what "rules" you mean.

That's for the Government not me. But in principle do you agree people can simply move to tax havens to stop paying tax?

The rule wouldn't be to stop them moving, obviously. But maybe a way to make them still contribute. I have no idea for certain where Norris will be paid from but I'd guess it will be from Mclaren HQ in Woking but if he's in Monaco 6 months and 1 day he doesn't have to pay tax on that income.

Offline clinical

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6687 on: December 2, 2021, 11:46:03 am »
You think there should be rules that say non-citizens of a country should pay tax to a country. I fear you've as much chance as the rule I want to enforce involving Scarlett Johanson.

Absolutely. But to be fair to Corbyn he wanted to do something about it.

Offline kevlumley

• Legacy Fan
  • Forza Liverpool
« Reply #6688 on: December 2, 2021, 11:51:44 am »
His dad is worth a few hundred million. It isn't like he needs the extra money.
It seems that way to us, but i am sure people with a lot of money are as careful with it as those without. The charitable donation would be a nice gesture though and is morally the right thing to offer.

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #6689 on: December 2, 2021, 02:30:26 pm »
So im British and I live abroad, am i supposed to pay income tax in the UK too? Should I be double taxed? WTF are you loons on about? F1 drivers hardly spend any time in the UK anyway. So paying their fair share would be for the week or two they are actually in the UK right? Paying for services etc blah fucking blah. Such an insular fucking mindset. Hamilton continually gets shit about it, yet hes actually one of the biggest taxpayers in the UK.

I can understand not wanting people who are actively living and working in the UK, own businesses in the UK and are British that move to a tax haven, but these guys spend hardly any time in the country.

As for the oh they were brought up in the UK and used services like education and the NHS when they were here. Yeah that's what their fucking parents paid taxes for.

Must be some new rule that whatever nationality you are is where you're supposed to pay your taxes. It's a good idea, let's do it and watch the UK's tax income dwindle as millions of Europeans and Commonwealth citizens pay taxes to their home countries instead of our treasury whilst using our services.
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #6690 on: December 2, 2021, 02:34:00 pm »

If you're a US citizen, you have to declare all income to the IRS regardless of where you live in the world or where you earn money in the world. Then you are liable to pay federal taxes on that.

I'd love to see that adopted here for the UK. Any taxes paid in another country could be offset against UK taxes (eg, a person lives and works in country A and pays 15% tax; could offset that to pay just 5% UK tax)

I hate tax dodgers. Selfish c*nts - usually have millions banked, too, so can afford to pay their fair share of tax.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #6691 on: December 2, 2021, 02:48:19 pm »

If you're a US citizen, you have to declare all income to the IRS regardless of where you live in the world or where you earn money in the world. Then you are liable to pay federal taxes on that.

I'd love to see that adopted here for the UK. Any taxes paid in another country could be offset against UK taxes (eg, a person lives and works in country A and pays 15% tax; could offset that to pay just 5% UK tax)

I hate tax dodgers. Selfish c*nts - usually have millions banked, too, so can afford to pay their fair share of tax.

Right so if I'm paying more in the country I live in are you gonna give me money back?
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6692 on: December 2, 2021, 03:03:22 pm »

That situation does apply to us poor plebs, I worked for a few years in Germany and during the first year I was still being paid by the uk part of the company and they had to get my taxes done in both countries and then the uk ones were offset by the amount I paid during that time in german taxes.

It should be the same for these people like F1 drivers who are still being paid by a company based in the UK rather than Monaco, just like it should be the case for companies like Amazon who earn money over here and then pay it into Luxembourg or wherever.

Online Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6693 on: December 2, 2021, 03:04:38 pm »
Without getting too much in to it, I think it's pretty telling that Lewis Hamilton's name is bandied around with this issue, rather than someone like Gary Barlow.

Offline kevlumley

• Legacy Fan
  • Forza Liverpool
« Reply #6694 on: December 2, 2021, 03:26:04 pm »
@Wild Romany Boy - Yep

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #6695 on: December 2, 2021, 03:33:23 pm »
Gary Barlow's name was mentioned in a different thread to this in relation to tax avoidance just a few days ago.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Online Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6696 on: December 2, 2021, 03:36:43 pm »
Gary Barlow's name was mentioned in a different thread to this in relation to tax avoidance just a few days ago.

I'm not really talking about RAWK as a whole, more the idea that you'll see Gary Barlow all over events such as Children in Need asking us to stump up, when he could just pay his taxes.

In the general public, I have seen more condemnation of Hamilton for it than I have seen Gary Barlow.

Might be my own confirmation bias, but I wasn't telling on anyone in this thread or on this forum.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6697 on: December 2, 2021, 04:00:27 pm »
I'm not really talking about RAWK as a whole, more the idea that you'll see Gary Barlow all over events such as Children in Need asking us to stump up, when he could just pay his taxes.

In the general public, I have seen more condemnation of Hamilton for it than I have seen Gary Barlow.

Might be my own confirmation bias, but I wasn't telling on anyone in this thread or on this forum.

Oh in general I agree, I thought you were referring to these boards specifically.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6698 on: December 2, 2021, 04:21:11 pm »

I think you are right, but the biggest attention Hamilton got about the issue was due to his tax-dodging when buying a private jet wasn't it, the bigger single item attracts more attention than a longer term but less headline-grabbing pattern of avoiding tax.

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6699 on: December 2, 2021, 04:31:35 pm »
I thin part of the reason Hamilton gets a harder time is he often preaches on a wide range of issues whereas others don't. Yes he's flogged his private jet the fact is he owned one and for years used it significantly both professionally and privately. 

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6700 on: December 2, 2021, 04:32:37 pm »
Being associated with Children in Need is preaching a bit as well though.

Online Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6701 on: December 2, 2021, 05:06:27 pm »
Oh in general I agree, I thought you were referring to these boards specifically.

I certainly have my issues with some of the general sentiment with the boards as a whole, but, whilst he raises debate, I think most people are pretty fair to Hamilton on the F1 boards and wider RAWK.

Changing topic: I still think Verstappen wins the title, and I think he will do it by 8 points. Anyone else have any thoughts?

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #6702 on: December 2, 2021, 06:12:02 pm »
That's for the Government not me. But in principle do you agree people can simply move to tax havens to stop paying tax?

The rule wouldn't be to stop them moving, obviously. But maybe a way to make them still contribute. I have no idea for certain where Norris will be paid from but I'd guess it will be from Mclaren HQ in Woking but if he's in Monaco 6 months and 1 day he doesn't have to pay tax on that income.

I’d go for something much simpler and say if you want to live in Monaco, race under a Monaco flag, would be quite funny having 80% of the drivers representing the same country (but a bit unfair on Charles Leclerc I suppose!)
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #6703 on: December 2, 2021, 11:55:01 pm »
Anyway, track looks appalling for overtaking.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Online Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6704 on: December 3, 2021, 12:00:04 am »
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/dec/02/grenfell-survivors-outraged-by-lewis-hamilton-car-sponsorship-deal

Same as some have said he has very little control over who his team choose to get sponsorship from, but all the speaking out on certain issues, including Grenfell, opens him up to hypocrisy from some.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #6705 on: December 3, 2021, 06:54:15 am »
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/dec/02/grenfell-survivors-outraged-by-lewis-hamilton-car-sponsorship-deal

Same as some have said he has very little control over who his team choose to get sponsorship from, but all the speaking out on certain issues, including Grenfell, opens him up to hypocrisy from some.
I don’t think most of us would have had a clue that there was a link to Grenfell though to be honest…
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline cormorant

• Legacy Fan
  • We had Shankly and the Kop at Liverpool...
« Reply #6706 on: December 3, 2021, 08:20:33 am »
Max's title permutations for this weekend for ease of reference for everyone:

Verstappen finishes first + fastest lap / Hamilton P6 or lower

Verstappen finishes first / Hamilton P7 or lower

Verstappen finishes second + fastest lap / Hamilton P10 or lower

Verstappen finishes second /Hamilton scores zero points
The fans here are the greatest in the land. They know the game and they know what they want to see. The people on the Kop make you feel great - yet humble. I'm just one of the people...

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6707 on: December 3, 2021, 09:35:30 am »
The worst thing about it is they all choose to live in Monaco which is a 1960s concrete shithole.

Also whatever they save in paying tax they will pay in being ripped off for a flat there instead of being able to by a big house in the UK.

Online paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #6708 on: December 3, 2021, 09:41:22 am »
ill be honest and say I would do the same if I was them

I would still donate money to charity obv
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6709 on: December 3, 2021, 09:54:16 am »
ill be honest and say I would do the same if I was them

I would still donate money to charity obv
I don't think it is worth the hassle to be honest. Especially to live in Monaco.

I would rather just live my life. There are also much easier ways to not pay tax if thats the only reason.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6710 on: December 3, 2021, 09:57:17 am »
I don't think it is worth the hassle to be honest. Especially to live in Monaco.

I would rather just live my life. There are also much easier ways to not pay tax if thats the only reason.

I wouldnt seek to defend anyone deliberately dodging tax......but I can't imagine most of these guys spend much time in their home countries anyway. The season runs for 9 months of the year, I'd imagine much of it is living out of a suitcase. If you're not tied down with a family, its not a surprise they gravitate towards places like Monaco or America instead of England.
« Last Edit: December 3, 2021, 10:02:42 am by fucking baubles »

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #6711 on: December 3, 2021, 10:02:12 am »
I think young f1 drivers move to monaco just because that's what young f1 drivers do. people do like to follow the crowd and do the done things.

Offline iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bob Mortimer stan account
« Reply #6712 on: December 3, 2021, 10:18:23 am »
Max's title permutations for this weekend for ease of reference for everyone:

Verstappen finishes first + fastest lap / Hamilton P6 or lower

Verstappen finishes first / Hamilton P7 or lower

Verstappen finishes second + fastest lap / Hamilton P10 or lower

Verstappen finishes second /Hamilton scores zero points
Holy shit some actual F1 chat at last.

Can't see it happening for Max this weekend, but stranger things have happened this season!
"If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to them again."
Stan Laurel

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6713 on: December 3, 2021, 10:28:42 am »
Holy shit some actual F1 chat at last.

Can't see it happening for Max this weekend, but stranger things have happened this season!
Realistically a win for Max this weekend all but wraps it up.

Would be great if there were no more than 10 points between them going into the last race. For that to happen Hamilton realistically needs to finish above Max weekend.

Is this a Merc or Red Bull track?

Offline kevlumley

• Legacy Fan
  • Forza Liverpool
« Reply #6714 on: December 3, 2021, 11:07:04 am »
In at least one season in the past, the last race was a double pointer. Is that still the case? Haven't seen in mentioned, so i am assuming it is not the case.

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #6715 on: December 3, 2021, 11:08:55 am »
In at least one season in the past, the last race was a double pointer. Is that still the case? Haven't seen in mentioned, so i am assuming it is not the case.

it happened once and thankfully it's never happened again.

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #6716 on: December 3, 2021, 12:05:14 pm »
quite a stringy looking track. but it does look finished

Offline CowboyKangaroo

• aka WayneSkippy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6717 on: December 3, 2021, 12:24:55 pm »

There are international treaties preventing that sort of thing. Whilst the UK has shown itself to be fairly comfortable flouting certain international obligations, I can't say I'd ever commend further disregard to these agreements. DTAs exist for a reason - you should only pay income tax once and we can't force countries to levy a particular tax rate (even if that tax rate is set at zero in said country)
shut up clown. Naby Keita can buy your life and throw it away.

Online paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #6718 on: December 3, 2021, 12:52:21 pm »
2014 only iirc

It actually meant the title was still alive in the last race but thankfully wasnt won because of it

trivia : Williams would have the record for most constructor points in a race, they were 2nd and 3rd that day. worth 66 points

most points ever won by a team in a race, and they didnt even win the race
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline kevlumley

• Legacy Fan
  • Forza Liverpool
« Reply #6719 on: December 3, 2021, 01:34:39 pm »
2014 only iirc

It actually meant the title was still alive in the last race but thankfully wasnt won because of it

trivia : Williams would have the record for most constructor points in a race, they were 2nd and 3rd that day. worth 66 points

most points ever won by a team in a race, and they didnt even win the race
Wow, life sped up at a million miles an hour, didn't realise it was that long ago. Just reading about it now. Thanks