Author Topic: The Murder of George Floyd and Black Lives Matter.  (Read 253282 times)

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
I might say your position is too. Given the circumstances.
Well, it’s an opinion, I will give you that.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Wait though, when someone brings up any talk of revolution, the sort of action required to enact those large scale changes, that's also talked down?

I'm not sure wide reaching change is talked down is it? But revolution? Maybe.

Are there any good case studies of revolutions within democracies that have managed the nuance and stamina to unpick and narrow complex structural inequality?

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
I'm not sure wide reaching change is talked down is it? But revolution? Maybe.

Are there any good case studies of revolutions within democracies that have managed the nuance and stamina to unpick and narrow complex structural inequality?

Well trump did win an election :o

Scatters

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
check out these dunces

Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I agree that the vast majority of Police Officers do a good job both here and in the US.

But are you saying that you're against rooting out and getting rid of those that are abusing their power?

Or are you saying that because most are pretty good, you're not bothered about people getting murdered on a weekly basis by the bad ones?

You think people being murdered by the people that are supposed to be protecting them is fine and everyone should move on?

Fair play on the first point.

Three decisive nos on the other three. A more nuanced approach is always preferred.

I've read a few books on police departments through the years and it's absolutely correct to say they were historically racist to the core. When eventually black cops were recruited they were openly abused racially. This was accepted as part of the job. Many of these guys and gals eventually should have been seen as trail blazers and heroes. Very often it just meant they were hated in their own communities and precincts. Classic case of no good deed going unpunished. Eventually they gained acceptance at work.
They're still underrepresented in the profession but it's also fair to say their recruitment hasn't bridged any gaps between the cops and minority communities. Not every police problem is a racist issue. A point some people will choose to see as racist.
The police force in America needs serious reform. But it brings me back to the point I originally made. When the streets are the most dangerous in the western world for gun crime and rife with poverty all I see is a war mentality.

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
check out these dunces

Bet they had a big argument about who stood on the far right. Jeremy Irons beat skeletor hands down.

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
check out these dunces

Which one is it, though? Can't be both because there are non-white Brits as well
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
I mean, they just might as well hold up a swaztika banner and get it over with. Why bother hiding it?

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
Edward Colston statue in Bristol has been toppled
https://mobile.twitter.com/_jackgrey/status/1269625428400132096

Online Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
The council should of tore it down years ago, thankfully they’ve seen sense and are renaming the concert hall when it reopens.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
The council should of tore it down years ago, thankfully they’ve seen sense and are renaming the concert hall when it reopens.

Where was the statue? I lived on Colston St back in the day, just down from the concert hall.

Online Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Colston Avenue, right in city centre just before you get to the docks, probably a two minute walk from the concert hall

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Just read up on him. Philanthropist and slave trader. There's a combo.....

Offline Dr.Kano

• "......naïve, to say the least......"
  • Main Stander

The Islamic Golden Age involved the enslavement of millions of Africans. Maybe we should start tearing down Mosques?

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
The Islamic Golden Age involved the enslavement of millions of Africans. Maybe we should start tearing down Mosques?

Places of worship are not the same as statues erected to immortalise racist slave owners which serve no purpose. Hope this helps.

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
Strange whataboutery.
No one is suggesting tearing down churches. Unless of course you pray to this guy before you go to sleep?
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96

What a fucking ridiculous thing to even think let alone say

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we

::)

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Four posts only, and yet all shite. Dr. Kano, take a bow.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
If you dig deep enough into any city, in any society or country around the world, you'll undoubtedly find tributes or memorials of some sort to racists or bigots throughout history that left their mark and were instrumental in the founding of infrastructure there. There's plenty of examples of it here in Ireland, for example, with streets and buildings named after mass murderers and tyrants.

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
And I got stick for suggesting not all cops are scumbags. ;D
Still think it would be better if people educated him rather than abused him.

A good analogy?   Like having a statue of hitler in a Jewish community?  Bit too far but on the right street (pun intended)

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
He knows exactly what he's saying and doing, educating in this instance wouldn't work.

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
If you dig deep enough into any city, in any society or country around the world, you'll undoubtedly find tributes or memorials of some sort to racists or bigots throughout history that left their mark and were instrumental in the founding of infrastructure there. There's plenty of examples of it here in Ireland, for example, with streets and buildings named after mass murderers and tyrants.

True and I have no problem with that but a statue just feels a bit more provocative. It had a good innings to be fair..

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
Did Covidbaby sneak past the registration again?

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Still think it would be better if people educated him rather than abused him.

Do you think someone posting off a sock account with an opinion like that is arguing in good faith?
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline Red Ol

• 82 years in this crazy world and still plays with Lego
  • Legacy Fan
  • Children of the night. What music they make.

Not surprised about this. As has been mentioned people have been lobbying the council for years to remove references to the local slave traders.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
True and I have no problem with that but a statue just feels a bit more provocative. It had a good innings to be fair..
Oh, aye. I'd be offended with it just being there too. Thing is, a statue like that gets put up and no one really notices because they don't take the effort to educate themselves on who it is. They just assume because it's a nice decorative ornament in a street and makes the place look culturally attractive that it's a good thing. As I say, dig deep enough, and you'll be shocked at the seedy underbelly of most places with names and meanings.

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Do you think someone posting off a sock account with an opinion like that is arguing in good faith?

I'll give anyone a chance. Guess I'm just more virtuous and liberal than the rest of ye 8).

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
Just read up on him. Philanthropist and slave trader. There's a combo.....
If we just be by our standards today, yes...

But Liverpool was funded to a certain degree by the slave trade ... do you knock down the buildings, destroy history?

I don’t think there are easy answers...
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
There have been countless meetings and petitions to get rid of the statue, all were ignored, although they did alter the plaque to acknowledge his involvement.  There’s three or four schools named after him, a couple of streets, plenty of landmarks even a bloody bread bun. It’s absurd. I once had to explain to my sister in law who he was, couldn’t answer her when she asked why he’s held in such esteem.

Offline ljycb

• RAWK's Bullen Oracle of Wisdom & Knowledge, the Collective Voice of our Moral Conscience
  • Legacy Fan

Terrible shout.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

But Liverpool was funded to a certain degree by the slave trade ... do you knock down the buildings, destroy history?

Glasgow is similar, and there has been a campaign over last few years to rename a lot of the streets that reference the slave trade, like Jamaica Street, and Tobago Street. I'm not sure I agree as it feels a bit like whitewashing our history to me.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA

There are very easy answers when it comes to monuments not serving as reminders of the ills of slavery but instead celebrating those who enacted it.

Offline ShakaHislop

• Shocktrooper of the Vinny Cable Nasties
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan

There are very easy answers when it comes to monuments not serving as reminders of the ills of slavery but instead celebrating those who enacted it.
Exactly. It's in honour of something, or someone, who was a c*nt. It'd be like sticking a statue up of Jimmy Saville outside a primary school. I'm not saying that in jest, just in case anyone takes it that way. It literally is just that.

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Couldn't agree more. I'm sure someone can put a well reasoned argument for both sides.
Someone earlier said there are no grey areas. You're either with blm or against it. It was a ridiculous statement and the language of the zealot. There are always grey areas. I don't like seeing history destroyed but on the other hand the guy was a monster and I can fully understand why he got toppled. It's a grey area for me but obviously not for everyone.

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
Be interested to see what happens in Liverpool since we earned loads from the slave trade and have many roads named after slave traders. Penny Lane is fucked.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Really didn't think we'd hear any arguments against the removal of a statue of a slave trader responsible for transporting over Eighty Thousand Slaves from Africa to the Americas and Caribbean

But I guess here we are? It's a grey area?

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
As long as someone else brought up Liverpool's riches from the slave trade, how many of you knew this?:

In 1946, the Liverpool Constabulary carried out orders from the British government to deport Chinese sailors in Merseyside, many of whom had travelled to England as part of the war effort. They were forcibly repatriated to China.

“More than 1,300 Chinese sailors were put on specially assigned ships and sent to the Far East without notice.”

The wives and children of the men believed they had been deserted. It wasn’t until the release of declassified records 50 years later that it was revealed that more than 1,300 Chinese sailors had been put on specially assigned ships and sent to the Far East without notice.

Now Edge Hill University, working with local community group The Dragons of the Pool, will document the stories of the surviving children of the seamen for the first time.

https://www.heritagefund.org.uk/news/history-lost-chinese-sailors-uncovered#:~:text=In%201946%2C%20the%20Liverpool%20Constabulary,were%20forcibly%20repatriated%20to%20China.&text=The%20wives%20and%20children%20of%20the%20men%20believed%20they%20had%20been%20deserted.

And no one said or heard a fucking thing.

These were my people.
Kill the humourless

Offline Red Ol

• 82 years in this crazy world and still plays with Lego
  • Legacy Fan
  • Children of the night. What music they make.

You can rename buildings but a statue is just symbolic and surely glorifies its subject so it justifiably significant imo to pull it down, but if protestors set fire to building named after the same person then that’s a different thing.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain