Author Topic: COVID19: reddebs's Random Acts Of Kindness & Global Good News Care Stories (*)  (Read 19816 times)

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
A daughter is vital care at Colombia in NYC.

3 sons 5,7,9.

Works 3 12s a week. 

Now she's home schooling on her days off.

Hub working from home shares all the duties but still, she's knackered, anxious, stressed to fuck and still doing her job every day.

Told me yesterday that 4pm arrived and she realised she hadn't planned for dinner.

Poor kid gets no stress relief at all, so I devised a cunning plan that'll be fun and healthy for all.

Each grandson gets 1 day per week to choose a takeout menu from his fave place, but it must be healthy and they charge it to my account.

Mum gets a break from dinner prep 6 days a week and the kids get to practice healthy choices, reading a menu and the fun and anticipation of being the food boss for the day.

So nice when you can give the gift of love.
Kill the humourless

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Beautiful that mate [emoji179]

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Hi everyone. I need your help!

Darren Hutchinson and I have been working hard to manufacture a simple one size fits all protective visor.

We understand a lot of health care workers are struggling to find suitable PPE and we want to try and help those working to protect us as much as we possibly can.

We plan on producing 1000 units to be available by the end of the week and we would like to offer them on a free of charge basis to anyone who needs them.

Please can you share this post and tag anyone who may be in need so we can help distribute the visors to as many health care professionals as possible.

EDIT*** Due to huge demand we have created a simple order form to process visors. Please can anyone who needs them follow the link below:

https://form.jotform.com/200912491635049

#stopthespread #coronavirus

https://www.facebook.com/100000691833520/posts/3065260966840268/

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Man and His Loch Ness Sousaphone Spread ‘Mischievious Joy’ During Lockdown

Watertown man plays sousaphone around his neighborhood to bring joy during coronavirus.

https://www.necn.com/multimedia/man-and-his-loch-ness-sousaphone-spread-mischievious-joy-during-lockdown/2255689/
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Legacy Fan
A lady I used to work with 30 odd years ago now works for the NHS at a Liverpool hospital.

She put a message out asking for help to buy toiletries and stuff for patients, because no visitors means no care packages for ill patients [funny isn't it, how things like this never occur to you as a side effect of the problems of social distancing?]

She put a box outside her front door and asked for anyone passing to drop some items into the box.

Mrs OnlyMe sent her a few bob instead, as she didn't want to break the rules re unnecessary travel.

Anyhow, she got a lovely message back, with a photo of all the stuff that had been bought with her donation.

The lady collecting had gone shopping for the stuff herself, and was about to do her best Father Chrimbo act around the wards, with all the various items that had been donated.

She's a star.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline King Kenny 7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
. . . from the bbc news website.

Actors expand NHS meals initiative

Actors Helen McCrory and Damian Lewis are expanding their initiative to give NHS workers meals from high-street restaurants, after raising nearly one million pounds from the public.

The couple started by sending pizzas to hungry NHS staff in London, then arranged for chains including Leon, Tortilla and Dishoom to provide meals.

Now they're extending the scheme to feed hospital workers in Birmingham, Cardiff and Manchester.

McCrory said she was often brought to tears by the current situation.

“It’s cleaning, cooking, cleaning, cooking and then you suddenly burst into tears. It’s the fear and vulnerability coming out and then you pick yourself up, and you go on again as if nothing happened and it’s surreal,” the Peaky Blinders star told BBC podcast The Coronavirus Newscast.

Lewis, who returned from New York after filming of his series Billions was suspended last month, said his wife has been coping by binge-watching episodes of Alan Partridge.

“She’s having a TV screen affair with Steve Coogan,” he added.

His message for the comedian?

“Hands off… social distancing for you in perpetuity!”

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I applaud M&S for donating thousand of sets of clothes and underwear to patients and meals to staff to some of the busier hospitals - ideas suggested by their retail workers

And Nike making PPE/respirators for their local hospital in Oregon

https://news.ohsu.edu/2020/04/08/from-the-court-to-the-clinic-nike-delivers-first-shipment-of-custom-ppe-to-ohsu

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
My friends charity helps out again.

Sheffield teenager joins fight to keep frontline NHS staff safe by 3D-printing protective face shields.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/people/sheffield-teenager-joins-fight-keep-frontline-nhs-staff-safe-3d-printing-protective-face-shields-2536661

Offline King Kenny 7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Sir Ken Dodd's signature tune Happiness has been re-recorded as a tribute to the health service amid the pandemic.

Before his death in 2018, the Liverpool legend praised the care he received from the "marvellous" NHS.

His 1964 single has been re-recorded as a "joy-filled tribute" to NHS workers.
Royle Family star Ricky Tomlinson is joined in the music video by Glenda Jackson, Rick Astley, Jimmy Tarbuck, Shirley Ballas, Claire Sweeney, Les Dennis and Carol Decker.

The song, which also features dozens of nurses and families, includes people from Liverpool or around the area where Sir Ken was from.
Tomlinson, who is filmed singing in his bath, said: "We saw Madonna in her bath having a go, so we thought it's time we did an authentic Scouse song to get the nation smiling again and say a huge thank-you to all our amazing NHS staff."

Sir Ken's widow, Lady Anne Dodd, said: "Ken would have loved the idea of cheering up everyone across the nation by singing together his Happiness song.
"We all need more laughter and joy in our lives, and we hope Happiness can bring a smile to the world."

The Happiness video was released by The Ken Dodd Charitable Foundation in association with The Comedy Trust and Liverpool's Royal Court.

The public has been asked to donate to NHS Charities Together.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-52271006

Online Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
This thread will remain open today but please only post of necessary.

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=240892.0
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Captain Tom Moore!!

What a guy!!

100yrs old on 30th April and now raised over £12m for the NHS in less than a week for walking 100 laps of his garden.

More importantly is the unbelievable generosity of people who have donated [emoji173][emoji173][emoji173]

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
Captain Tom Moore!!

What a guy!!

100yrs old on 30th April and now raised over £12m for the NHS in less than a week for walking 100 laps of his garden.

More importantly is the unbelievable generosity of people who have donated [emoji173][emoji173][emoji173]

I thought it appropriate to add to my signature
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
Captain Tom Moore!!

What a guy!!

If I was a tory MP of any time in the last decade, I’d be ashamed that a 99 year old war veteran felt he had to raise money for the NHS.

So many communities are now running their own fundraising campaigns to buy PPE for keyworkers, it’s an indictment of the govt of the last decade.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
If I was a tory MP of any time in the last decade, I’d be ashamed that a 99 year old war veteran felt he had to raise money for the NHS.

So many communities are now running their own fundraising campaigns to buy PPE for keyworkers, it’s an indictment of the govt of the last decade.
Yep it's both inspiring and sad mate.

Offline Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Legacy Fan
Tom Moores just gone past £20m.

unreal.

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤

A bullied 8 year old boy from Helensvale, Australia has just received this lovely letter and a L C & Corona typewriter.

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Other than the fact that Hanks may have spawned a writer, for me the fantastic thing is that every letter big, rich, famous Hanks receives will be treasured.
Kill the humourless

Offline jambutty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/bea4jCAkXsI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/bea4jCAkXsI</a>
Kill the humourless

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤

The favour is returned': Native American Covid-19 relief fund thanks Irish people for their support

Organisers of an online fund to help Native American people who’ve been affected by Covid-19 have thanked Irish people for their support.

ORGANISERS OF AN online fund to help Native American people who’ve been affected by Covid-19 have thanked Irish people for their support.

A GoFundMe page for the Navajo Nation and Hopi Reservation has so far surpassed $1.6 million. Organisers say these communities have a particularly high number of people in high-risk groups, such as those who are diabetic, asthmatic or who have cancer.

Covid-19 rates among the community are also higher-per capita than almost all US states.

The Navajo Nation is home to about 175,000 people in an area that straddles three southwestern states and is roughly the size of Scotland.

As well as poor phone and internet connectivity exacerbating information gaps, up to 30% of Navajo people do not have access to running water.

The goal of the Go Fund Me page is to support volunteers to bring groceries, water and health supplies to vulnerable people in the communities.

Many of the recent donors to the fund have come from Ireland, with messages on the message board making reference to the support of Native American people during Ireland’s Great Famine.

Despite facing starvation and poverty themselves, the people of the Choctaw Nation contributed $170 – which is about €3,950 today – to send food aid when they heard about Ireland’s struggle.

Taoiseach Leo Varadkar thanked members of the community for their support while on a visit to the US in 2018.

The Choctaw people were from a different part of the modern day United States, four states across the Deep South, before many were forcefully moved to Oklahoma.

Despite the different communities being involved, organisers of the fund have made reference to the historic connections.

Aaron Yazzie   @YazzieSays
Friends and Family - I am very surprised and touched by the response this tweet received in the last 2 days! So many have generously donated & shared from all across the country, across Indian Country, & from the across the world - I'm looking at you IRELAND! Thank you! 🙏

“Not long before the Great Hunger Famine in Ireland, 60,000 Native Americans, including the Choctaw people, had suffered through the experience of the Trail of Tears. The death of many people on the Trail of Tears sparked empathy for the Irish people in their time of need. Thus, the Choctaw extended $170 of relief aid,” organiser Vanessa Tulley wrote on the fundraising page.

"173 years later to today, the favour is returned through generous donations from the Irish people to the Navajo Nation during our time of crisis."

"And a dark time in history for our Nation. In moments like these, we are so grateful for the love and support we have received from all around the world. Acts of kindness from indigenous ancestors past being reciprocated nearly 200 years later through blood memory and interconnectedness.Thank you, IRELAND, for showing solidarity and being here for us."

https://www.thejournal.ie/ireland-native-american-fund-5091473-May2020/

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤

Coronavirus: Mum who had 50/50 survival chance leaves hospital with newborn

A mother who was feared to have made the "last phone call" to her children as she was put on a ventilator has left hospital with her newborn baby.

Kathrine Dawson, 36, was left fighting for her life after contracting COVID-19 at 32 weeks pregnant, and her daughter Ruby was born already infected with the virus - making the child one of the youngest coronavirus patients in the world.

When Mrs Dawson first began experiencing symptoms at 32 weeks pregnant she was taken to A&E with a suspected chest infection.

A swab revealed she had contracted coronavirus - despite shielding for three weeks - and the decision was taken to deliver the child via caesarean section. Baby Ruby was born on 1 April.

Mrs Dawson's condition deteriorated, and she had to make an emotional video call to her husband and two daughters, Grace, five, and Ava, 11 months, who were back at home.

"It was a bit like saying goodbye, it could have been the last phone call," Mr Dawson said.

"I owe my future to the staff at Blackpool Victoria Hospital. I thought I was going to be a widow looking after young children on my own, but they saved [Kathrine's] life and Ruby's life.

"I could not visit either of them because of the coronavirus and I had 26 days of waiting, worrying and stress."

Mrs Dawson was put into an induced coma and placed on a ventilator, and doctors expected her chances of survival to be 50/50.

ICU consultant Dr Jason Cupitt said: "It was a very challenging case and we were very concerned that she might not make it.

"She was deeply sedated and we weren't seeing much change, but then, five days later, there was a spark of light at the end of the tunnel as her oxygen levels started to improve."

Mr Dawson was given daily updates from the hospital, including diaries from the neonatal department on Ruby's condition.

He said they were his "lifeline", adding: "Without those diaries Ruby and I would have been strangers, but when I eventually saw her I felt I knew her."

Mrs Dawson was discharged, along with Ruby, after 37 days in hospital.

As they left, staff from the delivery suite, the neonatal unit, A&E and the COVID ITU formed a guard of honour and broke into applause.

Dr Cupitt said: "This was a particularly emotional case for everyone. Kathrine and Ruby touched everyone's heart and she is someone I will always remember."

Head of midwifery at Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, Nicola Parry, added: "Their story sets everything good about the humanity shown by staff at this Trust and we wish the Dawson family every happiness and health as they go forward in their life together."

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-pregnant-woman-who-had-50-50-survival-chance-leaves-hospital-with-newborn-11984234

Offline kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
^ Two great uplifting stories - thanks Buggy

Online djahern

• aka Gail Yodeller
  • Legacy Fan

Just a small link to Covid-19 but a nice story all the same

Six-year-old boy raises £19k to buy hospital incubator as a thank you

Abbianca Makoni1 day ago
ES News email

A boy aged six has raised more than £19,000 to buy an incubator for the hospital that helped keep him alive when he was born prematurely.

Dhillon Manku, from Surbiton, hit his target this week with a £5,000 donation from the Kamani family behind the Boohoo fashion empire.

Dhillon was born two months early weighing 3lb 9oz and spent a month at the neonatal unit in Kingston hospital.

His mother Sharn, 35, said in 2017 Dhillion became curious about incubators and why his sister did not have to stay in the “glass box” but he did.

After hearing more about his story he wanted to raise enough money for an incubator to say thank you to Kingston hospital. He raised £5,000 with a sponsored swim and another £4,500 with a bounceathon.

The hospital bought the incubator in March and has used it to help isolate any infants suspected to have Covid-19.

A spokesperson said: “Over three months ago, being a Liverpool fan, when we asked what Dhillon would like on the plaque to go on the incubator, he said, ‘You’ll never walk alone’.

"Little did he know how topical that song would be during this period. His efforts will help save the lives of many premature infants, we are all very proud of him.”

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/health/sixyearold-boy-raises-19k-to-buy-hospital-incubator-as-a-thank-you-a4446981.html

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤

Stories and videos from over 150 countries.     :wave

https://www.oneworld-stories.org/

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
It's not often I'm a bit flush with spare cash but at the height of the pandemic I made a promise to a couple of care workers that I would treat them as a thank you for their hard work, care and dedication.

Now that the worst is over I've just managed to pay for a spa day and lunch at a venue of their choice. 

I just hope they can sort out a day they're both off to be able to enjoy it.

Offline kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
^ nice one RedD.

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/-Ri1ojB7R-c" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/-Ri1ojB7R-c</a>

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
BBC News - 'We sprang Grandma from the care home'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-54366336
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Morrison's offering 10% discount to teachers until Christmas. 

Just need your ID at checkout.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
[emoji3544] COVID 19 UPDATE [emoji3544]

Mr Waffles - Rotherham

Afternoon everyone,

As of now we will be staying open throughout the new lockdown just as we did during the 1st one.

Times are tough for us all especially for those that have been furloughed on an 80% salary. So if our customers/supporters are losing 20% of their monthly income it’s only fair that we reduce all of our prices across our entire menu by 20% for phone orders & walk ins - that includes collections & delivery.

🧇 Note: We will still be providing free desserts one day per week for the kids too. 🧇

It would be great if you could share this around & help us reach as many people as possible.

We are open tonight from 6pm delivering the town its tastiest Sunday night treats.

We have fresh made cheesecake, cookie dough, American & Belgian waffles, crumble, Tango ice blasts, Red velvet cake, Choc fudge cake, giant cupcakes, pancake stacks, milkshakes, flapjacks, sticky toffee pud & more

[emoji3513]01709 370347

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
What a beautiful thing to do.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=3543124635773828&id=100002289787731

With the new lockdown update regarding shops etc, anyone struggling for Christmas presents for young boys I’ll happily sort out some of Harri’s and Kodi’s toys or clothes that are like new for free [emoji173] Message me!

ALSO... If any parents who are struggling and were waiting to be paid to finish shopping. I am happy to send you my password and log in details for Amazon Prime. Amazon are still delivering up until Christmas Eve!

SHARE X

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
Special shout out to reddebs, for bestowing an act of Covid Related kindness on me. Won't go into details as I wouldn't want to embarrass her, but it was greatly appreciated.

*preempting the inevitable, nothing sketchy was involved. ;D
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 02:20:14 pm by Red Berry »
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Special shout out to reddebs, for bestowing an act of Covid Related on me. Won't go into details as I wouldn't want to embarrass her, but it was greatly appreciated.

*preempting the inevitable, nothing sketchy was involved. ;D

Haha we could really get tongues wagging if we wanted 😜

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
Haha we could really get tongues wagging if we wanted 😜

I completely read that wrong at first. :lmao
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I completely read that wrong at first. :lmao

😯😂

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
4 year old Chloe Smith, missing for 18 days after going missing from a family campsite in Australia, found safe and well, and apparently unharmed. A 36 year old man, in whose house she was found, has been arrested. A neighbour tipped off police after seeing him buying nappies.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-59162188

When so many of these stories end in tragedy, it's nice to get a happy ending for this one.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"