Author Topic: The Impact of COVID 19 on Sport...  (Read 850070 times)

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Impact of COVID 19 on Sport...
« Reply #15000 on: July 8, 2021, 09:00:59 pm »
Not really.

Delay it a year, I dont really understand why it's not doable. They have 80% public opposition to the games and no ones allowed in or out the country, it's the Olympics in name only.

They surely cannot delay it again? Would only leave two years until the next one.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #15001 on: July 9, 2021, 07:10:48 am »
It's going to feel very sad watching the Athletics, the crowd always adds to the tension of the short races in particular.

There is plenty we probably won't notice though. The olympic village might be a bit more tame this time round.

Those poor swimmers.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #15002 on: July 9, 2021, 07:57:00 am »
They surely cannot delay it again? Would only leave two years until the next one.

These are extraordinary times though, what's another year?

You could push the next one back a year so there's 2x 3 year gaps before normal service resumes.
« Last Edit: July 9, 2021, 08:00:56 am by Kashinoda »
:D

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15003 on: July 9, 2021, 08:10:49 am »
These are extraordinary times though, what's another year?

You could push the next one back a year so there's 2x 3 year gaps before normal service resumes.

Maybe. 6 years is a huge gap in a Olympians career and possibly needs to happen for them than anyone else.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #15004 on: July 9, 2021, 08:21:36 am »
Those poor swimmers.
It's even worse for the "Swimmers" it seems.

Don't worry mate, the athletes still getting their box of condoms.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #15005 on: July 9, 2021, 08:46:06 am »
Maybe. 6 years is a huge gap in a Olympians career and possibly needs to happen for them than anyone else.

Very true, I'm thinking about it a bit selfishly but god damn I look forward to the Olympics more than any other sporting event in the summer. 2012 was incredible. ;D
:D

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #15006 on: July 14, 2021, 03:02:19 pm »
The Birmingham goalie Neil Etheridge is in hospital with Covid.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57833334
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #15007 on: July 17, 2021, 11:52:51 am »
First COVID case at the Olympic village

AFP News Agency@AFP
#BREAKING First case of Covid-19 in Tokyo Olympic Village:

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15008 on: July 17, 2021, 12:46:08 pm »
First COVID case at the Olympic village

AFP News Agency@AFP
#BREAKING First case of Covid-19 in Tokyo Olympic Village:

Kill it with fire.

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #15009 on: July 19, 2021, 12:07:40 pm »
From August 16th, will we be in a situation where a covid case within a squad just means the effected individual misses out?
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #15010 on: July 22, 2021, 07:46:23 pm »
With the NFL's announcement today it wouldn't surprise me if the rest of the sporting world follows suit:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31863308/nfl-warning-teams-covid-19-outbreaks-unvaccinated-players-lead-forfeited-games

Due to the way NFL contracts work it also means the players wouldn't get paid.  Doubt that applies to PL contracts but could make for an interesting situation to say the least.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #15011 on: August 3, 2021, 04:11:19 pm »
The Athletic has a revealing piece about the current battle going on in the background between clubs, players, player unions and ancillary organizations like Kick It Out over vaccination with some players outright refusing to get vaccinated (including one anonymous player who had a rather severe case and one of his relatives has been shielding for 18 months, who still won't get it )

One interesting item that is brought up that seems to have been largely unspoken is what happens when a country imposes regulations requiring all players/staff coming in for a EL/CL match to provide proof of vaccination. An agent also suggests a few transfers will collapse over players refusing to be vaccinated
« Last Edit: August 3, 2021, 04:12:52 pm by rafathegaffa83 »

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #15012 on: September 7, 2021, 12:08:46 am »

Rob Harris@RobHarris
UEFA decides players who have been fully vaccinated or recovered from COVID-19 won't now need to be tested to play in its matches anymore. Decision made ahead of the CL, EL & ECL group stages. Testing could still be required to enter countries for games per national laws

Offline jonnypb

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT97
« Reply #15013 on: September 7, 2021, 10:18:50 am »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58469827

Manchester United will introduce Covid-19 spot-checks on matchdays at Old Trafford, starting with Saturday's game against Newcastle.

It is not yet a mandatory requirement to enter Old Trafford.

However, the club say they expect proof of full vaccination to become mandatory in the Premier League from 1 October.

Fans aged 18 and over are advised to prove that they are double-jabbed or have had a negative lateral flow or PCR test within 48 hours of the game.

In July, Prime Minister Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson announced there was a plan to mandate certification at venues where "large crowds gather", including sporting venues with capacities of 20,000 or more.

United are the latest team to introduce spot-checks under the Premier League's matchday protocols for the 2021-22 season, which state fans "must be prepared to prove" they are fully vaccinated or have had a negative Covid-19 test in the previous 48 hours.

In a statement, the club said: "The Government has indicated that Covid certification checks are likely to be mandatory for those attending large events from 1 October 2021.

"In line with Premier League guidance, this is expected to apply at all Manchester United matches at Old Trafford."

Brighton, Chelsea and Tottenham have already introduced mandatory checks for supporters attending games at their stadiums.

Offline swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15014 on: September 7, 2021, 12:10:55 pm »
Leicester also doing spot checks this weekend

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15015 on: September 7, 2021, 12:36:27 pm »
Chelsea must be lying. Loads of their nutter right wing fan base must be unvaccinated.

Offline jlb

• Anny Roader
« Reply #15016 on: December 2, 2021, 07:10:27 pm »
Bundesliga: German crowds to be reduced after Covid-19 restrictions reintroduced

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59510506

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15017 on: December 2, 2021, 08:02:42 pm »
Bundesliga: German crowds to be reduced after Covid-19 restrictions reintroduced

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59510506

Europe is not in a good state at all.

Offline Dave McCoy

• Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #15018 on: December 2, 2021, 11:43:49 pm »
Europe is not in a good state at all.

Spain looks like it's going to be just fine and Italy's numbers are no where near that bad so I wouldn't say "Europe" as a whole.  But yeah Central and Eastern Europe look like they're going to get hit hard.  I could ask why Germany and the low counties are so bad at this but then I'm an American so yeah, whatever.....

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15019 on: December 8, 2021, 07:18:56 pm »
Vaccine passports at the match from 15th December. This could be carnage getting in unless they can sort something online.

Coronavirus: Fans will need to show vaccine pass to attend top-level sport in England - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/59575982
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #15020 on: December 8, 2021, 08:36:33 pm »
Vaccine passports at the match from 15th December. This could be carnage getting in unless they can sort something online.

Coronavirus: Fans will need to show vaccine pass to attend top-level sport in England - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/59575982

Need to learn from the pre-season games where it was chaos getting in. Long queues in August is one thing but in freezing winter weather people will be less accepting and also less likely to want to get in early.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #15021 on: December 13, 2021, 09:49:35 pm »
Rob Harris@RobHarris
Significant spike in coronavirus cases in the Premier League - 42 positives over the last week among players & club staff after 12 were reported the previous week

Highest amount since May 2020

Offline buttersstotch

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #15022 on: December 13, 2021, 09:52:32 pm »
I find it mad that less than 24 hours before the Brentford-Utd game, the Premier League still haven't made a decision. Problem we're gonna have is clubs are going to try and postpone games with 3-4 cases. Feel the Premier League are going to have to put some guidance in place for clubs otherwise this could get messy really quickly.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #15023 on: December 13, 2021, 10:04:53 pm »
Bitters already clambering for a season cancellation......
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15024 on: December 13, 2021, 10:05:45 pm »
It's all a bit March 2020 with the scale of the spread and the disruption it's causing again. It's starting to rip through dressing rooms.

The problem is you can't have games getting called off every week because there's nowhere in the calendar to play them. Especially if one of the teams are in Europe. However, if you end up with teams putting reserve sides out then it makes a mockery of the league.

Offline Dave McCoy

• Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #15025 on: December 13, 2021, 10:06:07 pm »
Omicron seems quite different from previous waves.  It's early still and things can change but so far it's way less virulent and possibly prone to burn out quicker.  I wondered in the Spurs thread if it would possibly lead to a change in the protocols if the symptoms from Omicron are "mild" as it seems they are.  Since this is about Covid-19 and Sport I'll stick to Sport in that if the numbers bear true on Omicron the 10 day quarantine/isolation seems totally unnecessary and any postponements should just be a bump in the road.

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15026 on: December 13, 2021, 10:09:53 pm »
Omicron seems quite different from previous waves.  It's early still and things can change but so far it's way less virulent and possibly prone to burn out quicker.  I wondered in the Spurs thread if it would possibly lead to a change in the protocols if the symptoms from Omicron are "mild" as it seems they are.  Since this is about Covid-19 and Sport I'll stick to Sport in that if the numbers bear true on Omicron the 10 day quarantine/isolation seems totally unnecessary and any postponements should just be a bump in the road.

The players may well be asymptomatic for the most part but if they have to isolate for 10 days off a positive test - and Omicron is more contagious, plus time of year - then it'll make the season a write off if you've got games getting called off every week and half a dressing room having to isolate.

Offline Dave McCoy

• Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #15027 on: December 13, 2021, 10:16:10 pm »
The players may well be asymptomatic for the most part but if they have to isolate for 10 days off a positive test - and Omicron is more contagious, plus time of year - then it'll make the season a write off if you've got games getting called off every week and half a dressing room having to isolate.

That's the point though in that they need to change the protocols.  This isn't Delta, you shouldn't need everybody to isolate.  Here's the current fatality rate in South Africa, nobody is dying (relatively speaking) from Omicron but everybody is getting Omicron.

Without changing this to a general Covid discussion this is more of an issue for health workers as Omicron is highly contagious so most will get it.  Even boosted you're only ~70% protected so for them it's almost a fait accompli.  You then are going to have to shut everything down.  I'm guessing as the numbers bear out they'll change this as they'll have no choice and it makes sense.

Edit: Forgot my normal reminder to please go get your Booster.  Best thing everybody can do to make sure we continue to see LFC on the field.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2021, 10:19:22 pm by Dave McCoy »

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15028 on: December 13, 2021, 10:19:58 pm »
That's the point though in that they need to change the protocols.  This isn't Delta, you shouldn't need everybody to isolate.  Here's the current fatality rate in South Africa, nobody is dying (relatively speaking) from Omicron but everybody is getting Omicron.

Not going to happen for a while though. The NHS will be up shit creek in January in particular, so they won't be making exceptions.

You can hardly enter March with teams having 5 games in hand.

Offline Dave McCoy

• Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #15029 on: December 13, 2021, 10:23:11 pm »
Not going to happen for a while though. The NHS will be up shit creek in January in particular, so they won't be making exceptions.

You can hardly enter March with teams having 5 games in hand.

As I just noted to have NHS around they need to change the protocol anyway as otherwise they'll all be isolating as well.

I very much doubt what you're saying is going to happen, most games will go forward just it will be harder than it should have been but that goes for most Covid things.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #15030 on: December 13, 2021, 10:24:53 pm »
Happy Christmas Fromola ;D
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #15031 on: December 13, 2021, 10:55:05 pm »
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Jambo Power

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15032 on: December 13, 2021, 11:04:39 pm »
Rob Harris@RobHarris
Significant spike in coronavirus cases in the Premier League - 42 positives over the last week among players & club staff after 12 were reported the previous week

Highest amount since May 2020

There were hardly any positives when it came back. The highest before today was in Jan of this year.

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15033 on: December 14, 2021, 08:40:14 am »
There were hardly any positives when it came back. The highest before today was in Jan of this year.

There's no avoiding it with Omicron. Especially while everything else is open. It's easier to contain in lockdown like in Jan.

The good thing is if it's just mild cases, particularly with vaccines, but a case is a case. Footballers have to isolate for 10 days and it only takes one to get it for it to spread.

It's going to.be challenging for football to work around it.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15034 on: December 14, 2021, 08:45:58 am »
is there a certain % of cases  to get a match suspended?

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #15035 on: December 14, 2021, 08:48:50 am »
is there a certain % of cases  to get a match suspended?

No it's all down to how much each team cries

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15036 on: December 14, 2021, 10:12:38 am »
No it's all down to how much each team cries
It is crazy that there isn't a solid rule. Arsenal had to play the first game of the season with loads of cases but today United seem to have barely any and their game is off.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15037 on: December 14, 2021, 10:23:48 am »
It is crazy that there isn't a solid rule. Arsenal had to play the first game of the season with loads of cases but today United seem to have barely any and their game is off.

There's a pretty solid rule in place that if your team is from Manchester you get to decide what you're doing.

Offline Uncle Ronnie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15038 on: December 14, 2021, 10:26:00 am »
Premier League measures are ramping up even further: daily lateral flow tests and two PCR tests per week coming in - to be signed off at PL meeting today.

Players have to wait in their cars for results after taking tests. @TheAthleticUK

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #15039 on: December 14, 2021, 10:26:49 am »

Against Brentford who have been without their main goal threat the last two or three games and also had Pinnock off with Covid last game.

It is a tricky one. Without knowing the full details. In reality does anyone really want to call a game off if they can help it? I wouldn’t want any of ours going. We’re still in the League Cup, still in Europe...there’s not many spare weeks to cram postponed fixtures into if we can help it.

Difficult times though, will just have to see where things go from here.