Author Topic: COVID-19:VERIFIED news sources, 0 politishit, 0 CONSPIRACY SHITE  (Read 3458460 times)

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
Re: COVID-19:VERIFIED news sources, 0 politishit, 0 CONSPIRACY SHITE
« Reply #64960 on: December 3, 2021, 03:16:17 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/dec/03/italian-man-tries-to-dodge-covid-vaccine-wearing-fake-arm?CMP=fb_gu&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1638535333

Italian man tries to dodge Covid vaccine wearing fake arm

An Italian man is facing charges of fraud after turning up for his Covid-19 vaccine wearing a fake arm.

So determined was he to dodge the jab but still obtain a health pass, the anti-vaxxer may have paid hundreds of euros for the silicone prosthetic.

The bizarre episode at a vaccine hub in Biella, a town close to Turin in the northern Piedmont region, came a week after Italy announced measures barring unvaccinated people from a host of social, cultural and sporting activities.

After completing the bureaucratic formalities, including signing a consent form in front of a doctor, the man, aged 50, sat down and lifted up the sleeve of his shirt as he prepared for a health worker to administer the jab.

Initially, the health worker did not notice anything odd, as the silicone looked similar to skin. But after taking a closer look and touching the arm, the medic asked the man to take off his shirt. His plan foiled, the man, who has not been named, then tried to persuade the health worker to turn a blind eye.

“I felt offended as a professional,” Filippa Bua told La Repubblica. “The colour of the arm made me suspicious and so I asked the man to uncover the rest of his left arm. It was well made but it wasn’t the same colour.” The man said to her: “Would you have imagined that I’d have such a physique?”

She told La Stampa she could not see the man’s veins: “At first I thought I made a mistake, that it was a patient with an artificial arm.”

t is not clear whether he was wearing a whole fake arm or some kind of silicone layer over his skin.

“The promptness and skill of the health worker ruined the plans of this person, who will now have to respond to the judiciary,” Alberto Cirio, the president of Piedmont, said in a joint statement with Luigi Icardi, the regional health councillor.

La Repubblica suggested that the incident might not have been a one-off, citing a recent message on social media that might have been written by the man in Biella.

The Twitter post featured a silicone male chest half-body suit, complete with fake arms and neck, that was on sale on Amazon for €488 (£416). Alongside the image was the message: “If I go with this, will they notice? Maybe beneath the silicone I’ll even put on some extra clothes to avoid the needle reaching my real arm.”

Cirio and Icardi said the case would “border on the ridiculous” were it not “for the fact that we are talking about a gesture of enormous gravity”.

“It is unacceptable in the face of the sacrifice that the pandemic is making the whole community pay for,” they added.

Italy has reported a significant rise in the number of bookings for first-time jabs since announcing plans for the “super green pass”, which takes effect nationally from 6 December and requires people to prove they are vaccinated or have recovered from Covid-19 to access cinemas, theatres, gyms, nightclubs, ski-lifts and stadiums, as well as to be served indoors at bars and restaurants.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline courty61

• Legacy Fan
  • Never Buy The S*n
« Reply #64962 on: December 3, 2021, 03:56:47 pm »
He almost took them for mugs.

Belongs in the Father Ted thread not the Covid thread this story
77, 78, 81, 84, 05, 19

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64963 on: December 3, 2021, 03:56:50 pm »
Have you worked the gap out as 3 months, e.g. 1st Aug - 1st Nov, or the 12 weeks which is required? Which would be 24th Oct as opposed to 1st Nov.

Also many countries require the 2nd dose to be 14 days or more before arrival, which may make my above point irrelevant for you.

Yeah, he was jabbed 17th Nov, which takes him to 16th Feb, but Spain needs the 14 days prior, so we need him done by the end of Jan.

Of course may all be a moot point if the new one is found to be milder than Delta.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline jonnypb

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT97
« Reply #64964 on: December 3, 2021, 04:35:31 pm »
Yeah, he was jabbed 17th Nov, which takes him to 16th Feb, but Spain needs the 14 days prior, so we need him done by the end of Jan.

Of course may all be a moot point if the new one is found to be milder than Delta.

You would really need to check with the doctors or a vaccination centre because I’m not sure on how strict they are with timings between jabs. I would have thought when it comes to children they would be a lot more strict than an older adult because of the Myocarditis risk with children.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64965 on: December 3, 2021, 04:40:26 pm »
You would really need to check with the doctors or a vaccination centre because I’m not sure on how strict they are with timings between jabs. I would have thought when it comes to children they would be a lot more strict than an older adult because of the Myocarditis risk with children.

Yeah - if we can't go we can't go. his health comes first. We'll leave it until January and speak to the GP.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Online Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #64966 on: December 3, 2021, 04:45:43 pm »
Yeah - if we can't go we can't go. his health comes first. We'll leave it until January and speak to the GP.
Are they applying the rules to under 18s then?

I like what Spain are doing, literally only fully vaccinated people are allowed into the country but can see it being an issue for those with children who may not yet be within the timeframe for getting them vaccinated
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #64967 on: December 3, 2021, 04:51:04 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/dec/03/italian-man-tries-to-dodge-covid-vaccine-wearing-fake-arm?CMP=fb_gu&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1638535333

Italian man tries to dodge Covid vaccine wearing fake arm

An Italian man is facing charges of fraud after turning up for his Covid-19 vaccine wearing a fake arm.

So determined was he to dodge the jab but still obtain a health pass, the anti-vaxxer may have paid hundreds of euros for the silicone prosthetic.

The bizarre episode at a vaccine hub in Biella, a town close to Turin in the northern Piedmont region, came a week after Italy announced measures barring unvaccinated people from a host of social, cultural and sporting activities.

After completing the bureaucratic formalities, including signing a consent form in front of a doctor, the man, aged 50, sat down and lifted up the sleeve of his shirt as he prepared for a health worker to administer the jab.

Initially, the health worker did not notice anything odd, as the silicone looked similar to skin. But after taking a closer look and touching the arm, the medic asked the man to take off his shirt. His plan foiled, the man, who has not been named, then tried to persuade the health worker to turn a blind eye.

“I felt offended as a professional,” Filippa Bua told La Repubblica. “The colour of the arm made me suspicious and so I asked the man to uncover the rest of his left arm. It was well made but it wasn’t the same colour.” The man said to her: “Would you have imagined that I’d have such a physique?”

She told La Stampa she could not see the man’s veins: “At first I thought I made a mistake, that it was a patient with an artificial arm.”

t is not clear whether he was wearing a whole fake arm or some kind of silicone layer over his skin.

“The promptness and skill of the health worker ruined the plans of this person, who will now have to respond to the judiciary,” Alberto Cirio, the president of Piedmont, said in a joint statement with Luigi Icardi, the regional health councillor.

La Repubblica suggested that the incident might not have been a one-off, citing a recent message on social media that might have been written by the man in Biella.

The Twitter post featured a silicone male chest half-body suit, complete with fake arms and neck, that was on sale on Amazon for €488 (£416). Alongside the image was the message: “If I go with this, will they notice? Maybe beneath the silicone I’ll even put on some extra clothes to avoid the needle reaching my real arm.”

Cirio and Icardi said the case would “border on the ridiculous” were it not “for the fact that we are talking about a gesture of enormous gravity”.

“It is unacceptable in the face of the sacrifice that the pandemic is making the whole community pay for,” they added.

Italy has reported a significant rise in the number of bookings for first-time jabs since announcing plans for the “super green pass”, which takes effect nationally from 6 December and requires people to prove they are vaccinated or have recovered from Covid-19 to access cinemas, theatres, gyms, nightclubs, ski-lifts and stadiums, as well as to be served indoors at bars and restaurants.

He was subsequently arrested for the murder of Dr Richard Kimbles wife.

Offline jonnypb

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT97
« Reply #64968 on: December 3, 2021, 04:54:48 pm »

I like what Spain are doing, literally only fully vaccinated people are allowed into the country but can see it being an issue for those with children who may not yet be within the timeframe for getting them vaccinated

It's just children under 12 that are excluded.

Online Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #64969 on: December 3, 2021, 05:08:46 pm »
It's just children under 12 that are excluded.
:thumbup
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64970 on: December 3, 2021, 05:20:57 pm »

Yes, 12 and above need to be fully vaccinated, so he needs two doses now. Our other lad is 11, so he's exempt.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64971 on: December 3, 2021, 05:21:21 pm »
50584 new cases and 143 deaths reported today.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64972 on: December 3, 2021, 05:29:54 pm »
Not sure what numbers are like re hospitalisations but it’s being reported NHS England is now deferring routine health checks for over 75’s.  Don’t know if that relates to focusing on Covid but guess it may, ie focus on booster rollout, etc.

Online filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #64973 on: December 3, 2021, 06:22:40 pm »
UKHSA risk assessment on Omicron published, best summarised as - we don't know much but we are fearing the worst.

Gauteng case trend continues to look spectacularly bad, although this one doesn't have case positivity, it really does feel like we are waiting for either very good vaccine efficacy v Omicron or dramatically weaker severity to get us out of this.

Ireland also reintroducing some restrictions for the next month or so, to combat issues with the Delta wave. It does not feel like a lot of Europe is in a good place to cope if we got a substantial Omicron wave on top of what is already happening

And finally some signs from PCR testing that we may be starting to see rapid growth in Omicron in the UK, but still from (and at) a very low level.

https://twitter.com/jcbarret/status/1466827274045599750

« Last Edit: December 3, 2021, 06:57:56 pm by filopastry »

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #64974 on: December 3, 2021, 06:32:44 pm »
France has reported 49,858 new cases and 114 new deaths

This day last week: 34,436 cases & 60 deaths
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64975 on: December 3, 2021, 08:15:14 pm »
UKHSA risk assessment on Omicron published, best summarised as - we don't know much but we are fearing the worst.

Gauteng case trend continues to look spectacularly bad, although this one doesn't have case positivity, it really does feel like we are waiting for either very good vaccine efficacy v Omicron or dramatically weaker severity to get us out of this.

Ireland also reintroducing some restrictions for the next month or so, to combat issues with the Delta wave. It does not feel like a lot of Europe is in a good place to cope if we got a substantial Omicron wave on top of what is already happening

And finally some signs from PCR testing that we may be starting to see rapid growth in Omicron in the UK, but still from (and at) a very low level.

https://twitter.com/jcbarret/status/1466827274045599750

Introducing more restrictions on hospitality and on people's homes as the hospital and ICU cases drop is a massive own goal in Ireland in my opinion. Lot's of people are questioning the point of boosters and feel lockdown is inevitable regardless.

Personally I'd be championing the effect of the booster campaign and continuing as we are.
Obviously we don't know what the Omicron effect is going to be but better incentive boosters than what they've done. The anti vax brigade are made up.

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #64976 on: December 3, 2021, 09:29:08 pm »

He was subsequently arrested for the murder of Dr Richard Kimbles wife.

;D

Online filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64977 on: December 3, 2021, 10:03:30 pm »
75 new Omicron cases today in the UK, not a great trend, seems to be confirming the other data.

Online djahern

• aka Gail Yodeller
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64978 on: December 4, 2021, 03:27:49 am »
I might change my mind by tea-time though.
I’ve changed my mind a bit now. We have a decision to make pretty quickly - cross our fingers, or act somewhat early with incomplete data.

Incomplete data says we should act now. Just not sure what that acting now should mean - not lockdown, but something. I think the acting now should be working from home again, a reminder to stay at home with any symptoms, more emphasis on lateral flow testing when mixing households, isolation of direct contacts again. Pay people to do these things would be the most important act though.

Scale back again quickly if the vaccines hold up against severe disease with omicron once we know more. It’s shite I know, most of those changes are to prepare and change people’s mindset for post Christmas. It will take time to change people’s behaviour slightly but we should do it now with the idea we could get hit badly January/February and hopefully with more data in the next few weeks we’ll see it’s an over reaction and can scale back again. If we wait too long it will take too much time to change people’s behaviour.

Still think vaccines will hold up really well against severe disease though. Problem is can we wait long enough to get that confirmation.
« Last Edit: December 4, 2021, 03:38:29 am by djahern »

Offline marko35s

• Kopite
« Reply #64979 on: December 4, 2021, 06:28:44 am »
I was under the same impression.

Data shows that it does indeed skew towards Pfizer vaccines. Though JNJ is also heavily used.

https://sacoronavirus.co.za/latest-vaccine-statistics/
(slide 5)

If I remember correctly in a piece of previously unheard of clarity and forward thinking the government mostly used the single jab J&J in outlying and rural areas where it is difficult to get people to a vaccination site and the Pfizer jab in the metros.

Online redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64980 on: December 4, 2021, 07:13:53 am »
If I remember correctly in a piece of previously unheard of clarity and forward thinking the government mostly used the single jab J&J in outlying and rural areas where it is difficult to get people to a vaccination site and the Pfizer jab in the metros.

That was good thinking at that time, the problem is that since then we've realised that one dose of J&J is simply not enough longer term, and it should have also been a two-dose vaccine.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64981 on: December 4, 2021, 08:30:35 am »
I’ve changed my mind a bit now. We have a decision to make pretty quickly - cross our fingers, or act somewhat early with incomplete data.

3 things are certain in life. Death, taxes and this administration reacting too late. 

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #64982 on: December 4, 2021, 08:31:40 am »
Personally think it’s time to bring in more strict control on where non-vaccinated people can go. The threat of not going your local over Christmas might just be enough to get some of these fucks to go and get jabbed.

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #64983 on: December 4, 2021, 10:23:52 am »
According to my Norwegian colleagues they are going back into national lockdown from today (though Norwegian lockdowns are very relaxed - still allowing 40% capacity in office).

There's no lockdown in Norway nor is one planned either. Not even close to it. Nor has there ever been one. All they really do is to blame Sweden for everything and make us the scapegoats when their outbreaks connected to cross-border activity have been Norwegians travelling to Swedish warehouses infecting one another. They have a lot bigger issues than us lately, yet we're the ones respecting the common travel area and they're not. Quite smalltime stuff.

I love Norway and Norwegians though and they're a million times more sensible than anything on the continent.
« Last Edit: December 4, 2021, 10:29:36 am by Linudden »
Linudden.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #64984 on: December 4, 2021, 10:27:09 am »
There's no lockdown in Norway nor is one planned either. Not even close to it. Nor has there ever been one.

They closed schools, stopped organised sports and cultural events, closed gyms and swimming pools, closed bars which didn't serve food, and stopped people staying outside of their home municipalities.

I mean it may not have been as strict as a lot of countries, which is what the OP said, but it's certainly a lockdown.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #64985 on: December 4, 2021, 10:32:37 am »
They closed schools, stopped organised sports and cultural events, closed gyms and swimming pools, closed bars which didn't serve food, and stopped people staying outside of their home municipalities.

I mean it may not have been as strict as a lot of countries, which is what the OP said, but it's certainly a lockdown.

I'm fluent in comprehending Norwegian and they're reported about all the time in our press and I've heard of none of that sort. A lot of that sounds like Sweden in spring 2020 to be honest even if it was true. I can definitely assure you that Norwegians travel freely within their country though, otherwise I'd heard about it. Meanwhile, the Norwegian football league has a full game day tomorrow with people in attendance.
Linudden.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #64986 on: December 4, 2021, 10:39:27 am »
I'm fluent in comprehending Norwegian and they're reported about all the time in our press and I've heard of none of that sort. A lot of that sounds like Sweden in spring 2020 to be honest even if it was true. I can definitely assure you that Norwegians travel freely within their country though, otherwise I'd heard about it. Meanwhile, the Norwegian football league has a full game day tomorrow with people in attendance.

I've no idea what they're doing now, more commenting on your "Nor has there ever been one." comment, because it appears they 100% did.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #64987 on: December 4, 2021, 10:49:27 am »
I've no idea what they're doing now, more commenting on your "Nor has there ever been one." comment, because it appears they 100% did.

Oh okay fair enough. Either way by that token Sweden would've had a lockdown in spring 2020. On a sliding scale of things I wouldn't even say Denmark had one because people were still able to travel about in the country without consequences. If you lived in Copenhagen and visited Esbjerg on the North Sea there was no legal way to nail anyone. It was just that the stores were closed. Norway was a lot less so than Denmark. Unless you wanted to go to a nightclub you didn't really notice the difference there. Except if you were a Swede living there because a lot got ethnical abuse for no good reason by some angry locals who somehow blamed Swedish nationals in Norway who couldn't even travel back and forth for any local case ::)
Linudden.

Offline Persephone

• Legacy Fan
  • Who ate all the bloody Pringles?
« Reply #64988 on: December 4, 2021, 12:47:35 pm »
Looks like Omnicron 3x as transmittable as Delta, I suppose it's really hard to judge the effect though with SA being like 24% vaccinated!
Okay so here's my anecdotal experience over the last few days. I live in SA to clarify, my immediate family and friends who we socialize with are all double Pfizer vaccinated.

Last week Friday my father presented with mild flu symptoms he went to the doctor got his meds but didn't get a test for whatever reason. By Monday back to normal with only a bit of fatigue. My mother then presented with symptoms and subsequently both tested and are Covid positive. My parents are both 70 with my father having a few co morbidities, thankfully both are now in isolation and recovered. His brother and wife also 70+ had similar symptoms and on the road to recovery.

My siblings, our families and I saw them on the weekend and spent close contact time with no masks. We've all tested negative today and it's a tremendous relief after being in quarantine this week.

From what we've experienced, the vaccines do work and I have no doubt have played a part in keeping them from getting extremely ill and the rest of us from contracting it.

Omicron seems to spread very easily but if you're vaccinated and wearing your mask in large groups of people, I think you should be okay.
« Last Edit: December 4, 2021, 12:49:53 pm by Persephone »
I’ve plenty links to the clubs playing and backroom staff as many on here know thank you very much. Fair enough, I admire your optimism. But you’re absolute ostriches if you think this squad, even with 2 or 3 new, “cut price” players with potential get us anywhere close

Online filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64989 on: December 4, 2021, 03:42:36 pm »
Okay so here's my anecdotal experience over the last few days. I live in SA to clarify, my immediate family and friends who we socialize with are all double Pfizer vaccinated.

Last week Friday my father presented with mild flu symptoms he went to the doctor got his meds but didn't get a test for whatever reason. By Monday back to normal with only a bit of fatigue. My mother then presented with symptoms and subsequently both tested and are Covid positive. My parents are both 70 with my father having a few co morbidities, thankfully both are now in isolation and recovered. His brother and wife also 70+ had similar symptoms and on the road to recovery.

My siblings, our families and I saw them on the weekend and spent close contact time with no masks. We've all tested negative today and it's a tremendous relief after being in quarantine this week.

From what we've experienced, the vaccines do work and I have no doubt have played a part in keeping them from getting extremely ill and the rest of us from contracting it.

Omicron seems to spread very easily but if you're vaccinated and wearing your mask in large groups of people, I think you should be okay.

Certainly good news if that holds up generally, and also seems to be supported by the below which I just saw.

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64990 on: December 4, 2021, 06:11:04 pm »
So it looks like omicron has picked up a piece of the common cold according to reports. Im assuming this is good news?

Online west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #64991 on: December 4, 2021, 06:29:51 pm »
Negative tests now required before coming into the UK. Probably sensible but also my holiday will probably need to be cancelled now, as I can’t think of much worse then getting a positive test abroad and having to quarantine in a foreign country with a 4 and 2 year old.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Online west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64992 on: December 4, 2021, 06:31:31 pm »
So it looks like omicron has picked up a piece of the common cold according to reports. Im assuming this is good news?

There’s a few theories, one that it jumped from people to animals and back to people, but I wouldn’t class either the flu or animal theories as good news as they could just keep on happening with other animals or viruses.
Thinking is overrated.

Online redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64993 on: December 4, 2021, 07:06:11 pm »

Where did you see that? There are 200 viruses that cause "common cold", four of them are also corona viruses. What has it picked up?
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Online west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64994 on: December 4, 2021, 07:13:22 pm »
Where did you see that? There are 200 viruses that cause "common cold", four of them are also corona viruses. What has it picked up?

I don’t have a link to the article I read (it was probably on the Apple news app) but I did read one that said the same thing as well as another one that said it could have jumped from another species.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #64995 on: December 4, 2021, 07:18:19 pm »
If Omicron hasn't caused complete Armageddon in a country with a 24 % vaccination rate where a large number of people (especially among those living in poverty) have HIV that South Africa unfortunately is, it sounds like a good thing to me if it outcompetes Delta soon.
Linudden.

Online redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64996 on: December 4, 2021, 07:19:01 pm »
I don’t have a link to the article I read (it was probably on the Apple news app) but I did read one that said the same thing as well as another one that said it could have jumped from another species.

I mean, in a way it cause "a cold" anyway. It just seems quite a vague headline that doesn't make much sense considering the cause of the "cold".

Online west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64997 on: December 4, 2021, 07:48:58 pm »
I mean, in a way it cause "a cold" anyway. It just seems quite a vague headline that doesn't make much sense considering the cause of the "cold".

Forget the word cold, and just think another common virus. The article I read was along the lines that what could have happened is that Covid 19 and another virus infect a cell at the same time and when they both start replicating in the cell some genetic material may have been swapped that lead to Omicron.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64998 on: December 4, 2021, 07:57:19 pm »

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/omicron-variant-may-have-picked-up-piece-common-cold-virus-2021-12-03/

Here's one article

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64999 on: December 4, 2021, 08:11:25 pm »
If Omicron hasn't caused complete Armageddon in a country with a 24 % vaccination rate where a large number of people (especially among those living in poverty) have HIV that South Africa unfortunately is, it sounds like a good thing to me if it outcompetes Delta soon.

Hopefully. No deaths confirmed from it yet either.

Not sure why the gov is continuing to expand the red list when the variant is already here and the Xmas season is in absolute full flow.