Author Topic: Stevie Gerrard - The Manager Watch  (Read 160061 times)

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Stevie Gerrard - The Manager Watch
« Reply #1200 on: November 28, 2021, 11:34:31 am »
Gary McAllister is an important part of his team I believe. Be interesting to see what the style of football will be for this Villa side and how successful it is at this level. It is a difficult one as whatever success he had in Scotland would always be questioned because of the standard up there. At Villa what would 'success' look like? I guess it would be achieving or exceeding expectation, which is what, top half of the league perhaps?
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #1201 on: November 28, 2021, 11:44:45 am »
Why is their hatred for Villa? They are not our rivals in any sense unless I am missing something. I hope Stevie does well so I am fine with Villa doing well as long as they lose to us.

Because they are a brummie shower of shitheads.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1202 on: November 28, 2021, 11:58:39 am »
Why is their hatred for Villa? They are not our rivals in any sense unless I am missing something. I hope Stevie does well so I am fine with Villa doing well as long as they lose to us.

Probably completely wrong but saw a lot of disdain for them grow with the whole Gareth Barry saga and O'Neills comments about us

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #1203 on: November 28, 2021, 12:04:24 pm »
Looks like them two wins has pulled them out of trouble for the time being, but you can still get dragged back down there. Still relatively early days. They've got City at home next, can't see them taking anything there, but let's hope otherwise.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Lucas DuoFlush

• Legacy Fan
  • Bring Poulsy back!
« Reply #1204 on: November 28, 2021, 12:09:51 pm »
McGinn and Targett were so good for him in his first match and again against Palace. Cool that the fullbacks are so involved in build up, makes me think Stevie's philosophy will be positive as a manager.
"Bos non modo animal, sed etiam mater" Lordanem Henderson

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #1205 on: November 28, 2021, 12:31:34 pm »
Gary McAllister is an important part of his team I believe. Be interesting to see what the style of football will be for this Villa side and how successful it is at this level. It is a difficult one as whatever success he had in Scotland would always be questioned because of the standard up there. At Villa what would 'success' look like? I guess it would be achieving or exceeding expectation, which is what, top half of the league perhaps?

Michael Beale too I think
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1206 on: November 28, 2021, 01:06:53 pm »
Interesting to see that Stevie has replaced "Obviously" with "Listen."

Yeah course
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Online Cracking Left Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1207 on: November 28, 2021, 01:33:51 pm »
Yeah course

Disappointed in the lack of "yeeeeeahhhh 'course" so far. Not half as disappointed as Darren Farley must be

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #1208 on: November 28, 2021, 01:40:30 pm »
Michael Beale too I think

I thought he’d gone on I’m a Celebrity?
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Perth Red

• Kemlynite
  • Upside down and red all over
« Reply #1209 on: November 29, 2021, 12:44:03 am »
There's not much between the vast majority of the teams in the league at the moment. Top 3, a couple of chasers and then a big mass all together. Success for most is avoiding being in a relegation scrap in the last few weeks so I would imagine that's the target
If I've told you once I've told you a million times, stop exaggerating!

Offline darragh85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1210 on: November 29, 2021, 12:46:55 am »
Didn't think it was possible to admire the man any more but the way he has gone about trying to build himself as a manager has to be admired. Hope he continues to do well. He is the polar opposite to carragher

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #1211 on: November 29, 2021, 01:17:27 am »
I watched the first game but only the highlights from the 2nd.  We'll see as the season goes along but so far it just confirmed what I thought in that he's very Rafa in his team setups.  He's not Klopp and probably will never be Klopp.  Doesn't mean he can't evolve but with the way the modern game is now I think there is a ceiling to this style.  Guess we'll see.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #1212 on: November 29, 2021, 01:25:20 am »
I watched the first game but only the highlights from the 2nd.  We'll see as the season goes along but so far it just confirmed what I thought in that he's very Rafa in his team setups.  He's not Klopp and probably will never be Klopp.  Doesn't mean he can't evolve but with the way the modern game is now I think there is a ceiling to this style.  Guess we'll see.

So, your basing your theory on one game you watched fully and some highlights of the second game? Okay, Ralf. Get to fuck now...
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline lucabrasi

• sleepswiththefishes
  • Main Stander
« Reply #1213 on: November 29, 2021, 03:56:48 am »
Maybe I’m not reading this right but Gerrard as a mgr has only lost 2 out of his last 54 matches as a top flight mgr dating back to March of 2020. Not bad.

Offline Dave McCoy

• Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #1214 on: November 29, 2021, 04:07:11 am »

So, your basing your theory on one game you watched fully and some highlights of the second game? Okay, Ralf. Get to fuck now...

No, I've previously said this after watching a handful of Rangers Europa games and what I've seen in the PL just continues that asshole.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1215 on: November 29, 2021, 08:49:52 am »
Probably completely wrong but saw a lot of disdain for them grow with the whole Gareth Barry saga and O'Neills comments about us

They were fucking knobheads when I was a kid. Might have been having to visit Anfield and watch us win the league a couple of times that started it ;D
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1216 on: November 29, 2021, 09:49:47 am »

I don't think that you've watched many games at all,he had Rangers playing a very similar style to us,they only set up semi defensively in Europe for obvious reasons.

He is going to do amazing things with us. ;D
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #1217 on: November 29, 2021, 02:08:34 pm »

I think it stems from them. A lot of their fans developed a hate towards us in the 80's, and I think that's fed down over the years. There were the four whoppers on the train that time taking the piss out of Gerrard for not getting to the FA Cup final on his birthday.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1218 on: November 29, 2021, 05:58:43 pm »
No, I've previously said this after watching a handful of Rangers Europa games and what I've seen in the PL just continues that asshole.

So you've seen nothing of Rangers in the league where he got them up from 3rd when he started out to winning the title unbeaten, but a few games in the Europa League going against strong sides for their level and then are critical of style of play he has setup for Villa, who were on a 5 game losing streak before he was appointed?

Nice. But his priorities are going to be getting his side tough to beat, stop the leaky defense, get some good points and climb up the table, than to appease a random poster in a Liverpool forum. Thanks for your views though.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #1219 on: November 29, 2021, 06:09:11 pm »

I think it stems from them. A lot of their fans developed a hate towards us in the 80's, and I think that's fed down over the years. There were the four whoppers on the train that time taking the piss out of Gerrard for not getting to the FA Cup final on his birthday.

I always find them to be particularly obnoxious away fans at Anfield. They've always got the full banter bus repertoire.

Nothing against them otherwise but you know when you're playing Villa the full arsehole songbook comes out,.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Online smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1220 on: November 29, 2021, 06:28:37 pm »
Just listening MOTD Gerrard post match interview.  How the hell can someone relatively new to management talk like that is a real surprise.  Don’t underestimate him, he knows what he’s doing. Villa are looking very lucky to have him

I'm not going to take him seriously until he mentions how proud the lads are to wear the shirt, and tells us how Villa are one of the biggest clubs in the world.

Offline Dave McCoy

• Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #1221 on: November 29, 2021, 07:23:35 pm »
So you've seen nothing of Rangers in the league where he got them up from 3rd when he started out to winning the title unbeaten, but a few games in the Europa League going against strong sides for their level and then are critical of style of play he has setup for Villa, who were on a 5 game losing streak before he was appointed?

Nice. But his priorities are going to be getting his side tough to beat, stop the leaky defense, get some good points and climb up the table, than to appease a random poster in a Liverpool forum. Thanks for your views though.

I'm sorry, can you point me to where I'm being critical?  Is just saying that the play style has a ceiling and he's not Klopp critical?  Aside from that I said nothing good nor bad about it but I think it just goes to show that almost any Gerrard/Manager conversation is going to be a terrible one on these boards and for this fan base.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1222 on: November 29, 2021, 07:53:53 pm »

Now, go and wash your mouth out with soap you naughty, naughty, bad tempered boy. After that, you just sit on the naughty step until I say you can come off it....and don't stamp your feet going up the stairs. Naughty boy

Offline vivabobbygraham

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1223 on: November 29, 2021, 07:58:42 pm »

Saw that one, Nobby. To be fair none of them looked like the full shilling to me. I think they'd all escaped the half nine bus...

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1224 on: November 30, 2021, 09:11:10 am »
Good start but they wouldn't concede that goal if Lampard or Scholes was in charge.

Offline tonysleft

• Legacy Fan
  • A manc
« Reply #1225 on: November 30, 2021, 01:32:43 pm »
Just three more years Stevie!
Great chiefs and great loves in obliterated light

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1226 on: November 30, 2021, 01:51:41 pm »

Is that when the Molde job is opening back up?

Offline jacobs chains

• Legacy Fan
  • The fight will not be attaining dreams.
« Reply #1227 on: December 5, 2021, 06:41:30 pm »
Got to be honest, I never really bought in to the Steve manager hype, but he really seems to know what he's doing. Might have just finished Rogers for a while.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1228 on: December 5, 2021, 06:49:41 pm »

Can you cope with finished below Villa for 3 years on the trot?
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #1229 on: December 5, 2021, 07:50:45 pm »
Got to be honest, I never really bought in to the Steve manager hype, but he really seems to know what he's doing. Might have just finished Rogers for a while.

Has good staff around him as well which helps and took them with him from Rangers. Beale is his Ljinders.

Seems a natural as a manager.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #1230 on: December 5, 2021, 11:01:50 pm »

Jesus Christ, calm down, the poster literally said stevie tends to play a defensively solid style. Which he does on evidence.

The poster then noted that that style has a ceiling at the moment, which when you look around Europes leagues is also a reasonable thing to say.
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1231 on: December 6, 2021, 03:00:24 am »
I'm surprised at how well he's done and also how he's handling himself. He seems to have gained a lot of personal strength in the last few months - or he's putting on a good face

Can't figure out what his team's identity is though - will be interesting to look back in a few years to see if we can figure out what a Gerrard style team looks like

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1232 on: December 6, 2021, 04:52:19 am »
Jesus Christ, calm down, the poster literally said stevie tends to play a defensively solid style. Which he does on evidence.

The poster then noted that that style has a ceiling at the moment, which when you look around Europes leagues is also a reasonable thing to say.

Oh, I'm calm.

Yeah, Rangers conceded only 13 goals in a whole League season, so yes they were defensively very god, but they weren't 'defensive'. They also scored 92 goals in the League which isn't talked about. They've scored goals in some tough European games as well for their level.

And his proposition only makes sense on the outside. If you really followed Gerrard's previous management tenure, which he did not (he just watched a few European games and a couple of games for Villa), then you would know that it is not true that his sides are that defensive. They are defensively good, but Rangers also played some good football within their limitations.

I'm not saying that Villa will play a swashbuckling style under him, they were in a row of 5 losses when he was appointed, and they have a bottom half level side. Watkins is good, Martinez is good, McGinn is decent, Bailey may be good, but isn't available a lot of time. That's it. The rest of the squad needs a lot of work. Also, they were leaking goals before him. Hence, it's understandable that he has come in and tried fixing the defense first. In fact, they kept City to around 1 xG - not many sides do that and still manage to score a goal. All these do not imply by themselves that he is a defensive coach, nor that he will be defensive when he makes the step up to a top team like what he is claiming (any team that is). 

My post clearly explains the absurdity of coming to such a conclusion having watched a handful of games under his management.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #1233 on: December 6, 2021, 04:55:46 am »
Oh, I'm calm.

Yeah, Rangers conceded only 13 goals in a whole League season, so yes they were defensively very god, but they weren't 'defensive'. They also scored 92 goals in the League which isn't talked about. They've scored goals in some tough European games as well for their level.

And his proposition only makes sense on the outside. If you really followed Gerrard's previous management tenure, which he did not (he just watched a few European games and a couple of games for Villa), then you would know that it is not true that his sides are that defensive. They are defensively good, but Rangers also played some good football within their limitations.

I'm not saying that Villa will play a swashbuckling style under him, they were in a row of 5 losses when he was appointed, and they have a bottom half level side. Watkins is good, Martinez is good, McGinn is decent, Bailey may be good, but isn't available a lot of time. That's it. The rest of the squad needs a lot of work. Also, they were leaking goals before him. Hence, it's understandable that he has come in and tried fixing the defense first. In fact, they kept City to around 1 xG - not many sides do that and still manage to score a goal. All these do not imply by themselves that he is a defensive coach, nor that he will be defensive when he makes the step up to a top team like what he is claiming (any team that is). 

My post clearly explains the absurdity of coming to such a conclusion having watched a handful of games under his management.
I would say Cash is also good. He’s been their best player this season whenever I’ve seen them.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1234 on: December 6, 2021, 05:07:38 am »
I would say Cash is also good. He’s been their best player this season whenever I’ve seen them.

Cash is defensively okay, and he goes forward in good moments, but he's not a good crosser. He has the occasional moments, but he had so much time and space yesterday, but wasted them all by shooting at the near post or crossing over everyone.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1235 on: December 6, 2021, 08:01:11 am »

Those 5 losses don't really tell the whole story - could've easily been draws/wins!

I personally think they have a top half side - so do the owners I believe - that's why Smith was sacked.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1236 on: December 6, 2021, 10:10:43 am »

Cash alone won't bring success.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #1237 on: December 6, 2021, 10:18:42 am »
Oh, I'm calm.

Agree with a lot of what you say about Stevie....but I'm not sure they have a bottom half level side. Martinez is a good keeper. Cash, Konsa, Targett, Mings and Hause are all decent PL defenders (to difference extents). Luiz and McGinn in particular are good midfielders and then they've got a good range attackers in Watkins, Ings, Buendia, Bailey, El Ghazi, Trezeguet and Traore. Its why I thought it was a smart move by him.

And absolutely nothing wrong whatsoever with a manager using tactics best suited to his players to get the best results. AGAIN its people having this idea that he's auditioning for the Liverpool job.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1238 on: December 6, 2021, 11:58:57 am »
Cash alone won't bring success.

Money don’t make my world go round.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1239 on: December 6, 2021, 12:13:24 pm »
Agree with a lot of what you say about Stevie....but I'm not sure they have a bottom half level side. Martinez is a good keeper. Cash, Konsa, Targett, Mings and Hause are all decent PL defenders (to difference extents). Luiz and McGinn in particular are good midfielders and then they've got a good range attackers in Watkins, Ings, Buendia, Bailey, El Ghazi, Trezeguet and Traore. Its why I thought it was a smart move by him.

And absolutely nothing wrong whatsoever with a manager using tactics best suited to his players to get the best results. AGAIN its people having this idea that he's auditioning for the Liverpool job.

I get what you're saying, but that same defense you mentioned was leaking goals left, right and center before Stevie went there. They are all limited on the ball and there was not one leader in that defense who could stabilize their defense when they were struggling, nor could they organize themselves. Not being good on the ball and still defending like that doesn't make them good players. They're looking okay now, because Stevie has come in and organized them.

I like McGinn, who has a good left foot, but Luiz isn't that good. Defensively he has done okay at times, but he has been slow on the ball often.

As for the attackers you mentioned, we all know about Ings' injury record. He is currently injured. Bailey is injured as well and has had a stop start at Villa. He is yet to settle, and has had work rate issues in his previous club, so who knows if he would settle at all? Buendia has not at all clicked for them and in the few games I watched, he tried to hold on to the ball too long and dribbled into blind alleys. Villa fans are extremely disappointed with him. He may or may not make it. Maybe Stevie can improve him, but so far, he's been poor. I agree with Traore, but he has been injured for about 2-3 months now. Trezeguet is just being back training after a serious injury and frankly, he is not even that good. I've liked El Ghazi, but for some reason he isn't starting recently. So, it's a bunch of so and so players with an iffy injury record. Watkins is the standout one.

If we're comparing teams, us, City and Chelsea are on a whole different league. Then there are Man United, Spurs and Arsenal, who clearly have better teams. West Ham and Leicester are much better too. That makes it 8 teams who are clearly better than Villa. For me, Wolves are a more settled and a better side as well. They finished 7th twice before last season and even though they finished below Villa last season, they have regrouped, have only conceded 13 goals this season so far. Players like Jimenez, Traore (however frustrating he is), Neves, Ait Nouri, Dendoncker, Neto, Podence, Semedo are all better than most of Villa's players. I consider Brighton better too. The likes of Lallana, Bissouma, Lamptey and Trossard are a level above anything Villa have got in outfield. There are many other decent footballers with them. They just lack a good finisher. Otherwise, they'd be up in the table with the chances they create. That makes it 10 sides who are better than Villa at the moment and with better teams.

Villa is in that bracket along with Everton, Palace, Southampton and Leeds, so it's not a far-fetched idea to think that their team has the talents of a bottom-half side. Only Brentford (who are over-achieving), Norwich and Burnley have clearly inferior sides than them. Newcastle are under-achieving, and Watford have a decent attack, they need to fix their defense which is horrible.

In short, they are in that bracket between the Top 10 sides and 3-4 poor sides in the league.

« Last Edit: December 6, 2021, 12:20:40 pm by PoetryInMotion »