Author Topic: God Of War (reboot)  (Read 24773 times)

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: God Of War (reboot)
« Reply #80 on: April 29, 2018, 06:45:23 pm »
Don't really play games these days, but this and the upcoming Red Dead Redemption are making me seriously think about getting a PS4. Had a look at a few reviews and youtube gamplay highlights and the combat in this seems awesome. Does it flow as well as it looks like it does? Rather jealous of all yous who are playing it already, it looks proper class.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: April 29, 2018, 07:03:27 pm »
Don't really play games these days, but this and the upcoming Red Dead Redemption are making me seriously think about getting a PS4. Had a look at a few reviews and youtube gamplay highlights and the combat in this seems awesome. Does it flow as well as it looks like it does? Rather jealous of all yous who are playing it already, it looks proper class.

Yeah the combat is good. It gets better the further you go, you unlock the better combos and moves etc

I've gotta say it's rare for a game to put so much together and get it right. The combat is really strong, the two main characters (Kratos and Atreus) are really well done, the writing really shines through as there's this estranged relationship almost, it's like Atreus knows nothing about Kratos and vice versa. But the exchanges in dialogue are brilliant at times. Even the other characters you meet in the world are fantastically crafted. From the huge bosses to the NPC's you wander across. One problem I had with horizon is the NPC's were weak as fuck. They had no character, they were so wooden. Yet the few I've come across so far and I'm probably a quarter of the way through the game are full of character. Once again that's down to the writing and the voice over's.

The world is superbly crafted, with each region having distinctly different enemies, different feel and look. By the looks of things you get to visit Asgard too!

And there's something just beneath the surface here, Atreus knows nothing of Kratos and his past and it's just bursting to come to the fore.

This is Cory Barlog on Kratos' relationship with Atreus:
     [There’s this] idea of him not knowing how to do these things, but his son not knowing any different, right? Because [Atreus] wasn’t fully raised by Kratos. [His mother] Faye did a lot of the work initially. [Kratos] was spending a lot of time out in the woods, trying to figure out how to get control of the demons inside of him — the monster inside of him that we, as his creators, allowed to be out all the time.

So we are, in a large portion, were responsible for the fact that [Kratos] is the monster at all times, and now we are in turn taking our responsibility to help him balance these things. The journey is that he’s not very good at it in the beginning, and that’s what’s so fascinating, right? That a young kid, a 10- to 12-year-old child, can teach this guy who’s lived for hundreds of years? Who’s ascended to the throne of the pantheon of Greek gods, and been responsible for the downfall of so many of these deities. He has so much learning to do.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 07:56:05 pm by Upinsmoke »

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: April 29, 2018, 09:26:17 pm »
Yeah the combat is good. It gets better the further you go, you unlock the better combos and moves etc

I've gotta say it's rare for a game to put so much together and get it right. The combat is really strong, the two main characters (Kratos and Atreus) are really well done, the writing really shines through as there's this estranged relationship almost, it's like Atreus knows nothing about Kratos and vice versa. But the exchanges in dialogue are brilliant at times. Even the other characters you meet in the world are fantastically crafted. From the huge bosses to the NPC's you wander across. One problem I had with horizon is the NPC's were weak as fuck. They had no character, they were so wooden. Yet the few I've come across so far and I'm probably a quarter of the way through the game are full of character. Once again that's down to the writing and the voice over's.

The world is superbly crafted, with each region having distinctly different enemies, different feel and look. By the looks of things you get to visit Asgard too!

And there's something just beneath the surface here, Atreus knows nothing of Kratos and his past and it's just bursting to come to the fore.

This is Cory Barlog on Kratos' relationship with Atreus:
Sounds brilliant, cheer for the info. I've never played any of the God of War games before, but it seems like this one might well be worth a look. Quite like the idea of a well written game with brilliant combat, and great characters too. Really enjoyed the Last of Us, and several people (on here and elsewhere) suggest this GoW has certain similar vibes. Colour me very intrigued.

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: April 30, 2018, 01:16:32 pm »
My awesome girlfriend gave me an early birthday present in the form of this. What a girl.

What a game. Level 3, one realm done. The combat is excellent. I'm getting destroyed (2 hardest setting) but learning loads.

Graphically amazing as well.

Offline OneTouchFooty

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: April 30, 2018, 01:34:43 pm »
The world kind of grows as you play the story, there’s plenty to do, it’s kind of a good mix of linear and exploration for me, it’s not a sandbox by any stretch but it always feels like there’s stuff that you’ve missed and when a new area opens up I can’t help but want to explore it.

Thanks. I’d heard there’s plenty to explore but was unsure as I heard it wasn’t a sandbox game, I take it there are large areas that you can travel around and then transit between other worlds via an in-game jump? Then unlock further as the game progresses?

Probably gonna pick it up this weekend anyway. ;D

Offline Giovanni

• C'mon Chelsea!!! Stood on the Spyin Kop, the tricky bitch. Look out!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: April 30, 2018, 01:43:29 pm »
how repetitive is it? These hack and slash games always go the same way after so many hours playing
cyas

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: April 30, 2018, 03:19:27 pm »
how repetitive is it? These hack and slash games always go the same way after so many hours playing

Its not solely hack and slash, you use your fists too, and axe as a ranged throwing weapon. I mean it's as repetitive as any other sword and shield game. It's not really hack and slash any more, or at least not to the extent of the previous games.

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #87 on: April 30, 2018, 03:25:25 pm »
Been enjoying Nilfheim a lot - not gonna go into detail as to what happens there but have cleared it except the "boss" there, need to beef up a bit further for that but it was a fun realm.

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: May 1, 2018, 09:08:48 am »

There's a fair amount of problem solving/puzzles too. If you're into that.

Personally finding the environments a pleasure to explore.

The combat is sublime though. Getting to the stage now where I've unlocked enough skills to pull some quality combos together and handle most situations.

Taken me about 15 hours to realise you can upgrade rune attacks though  :butt

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #89 on: May 1, 2018, 10:18:09 am »
Ye I like the puzzle solving, even the little bits like finding the bells to open boxes and such. Makes it much more than a hack and slash.

It's what made me love the first 3 games.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline RedKenWah

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: May 3, 2018, 02:58:25 pm »
Been enjoying Nilfheim a lot - not gonna go into detail as to what happens there but have cleared it except the "boss" there, need to beef up a bit further for that but it was a fun realm.

This! Interesting realm to be involved in. I somehow managed to beat the "boss" of this realm, but that was through sheer luck more than anything. I'm glad that it gives you a full amount of resistance of mist after beating it...

Offline PhilV

• Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #91 on: May 3, 2018, 03:11:23 pm »
This! Interesting realm to be involved in. I somehow managed to beat the "boss" of this realm, but that was through sheer luck more than anything. I'm glad that it gives you a full amount of resistance of mist after beating it...

Yeah I was near the end afterward to on resistance, thought "if I die after beating this...!!!" but ya, get out of jail card!

I finished the game overall last night, I thought it was excellent start to finish, won't spoil it for anyone who hasn't but some big reveals at the end!!! Shame gotta wait years for a follow up though but that was really really good! Gonna go do all the collectables and ravens now as I can see myself sneaking in a Platinum Trophy haha :)

Got Persona 5 as was so cheap on PSN for my next game, know NOTHING about it apart from meant to be good

Offline Chalky Boots

• Legacy Fan
  • Neurotic Fan Fiction
« Reply #92 on: May 3, 2018, 06:07:06 pm »
I'm only about 50% through I think but even the moment when Kratos nips back to the lodge Is soo brilliantly done I'm incredibly impressed, like the reading behind it all makes sense and isn't at all ham handed which can sometimes happen with major plot moments.

With regards to getting a PS4 I'd say get one. I was falling out of love with gaming for a while but between God of War, Red Dead and a number of other titles upcoming (Cyberpunk 2077 included) then between that and the Switch I'm enjoying it as much as I did as a 7 year old in the late 90's.

I am interested to see if the some rumours are true though and Sony are going to push forward the PS5 release in which case I'd ]maybe[] pick up a used one.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: May 4, 2018, 11:42:41 am »
Just got the     
Spoiler
blades of chaos
[close]

Oh how I have missed this!!!!

The game just gets better and better. Going down as one of the best I've played in years. Along with Zelda and Witcher 3.
« Last Edit: May 4, 2018, 01:02:47 pm by Upinsmoke »

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: May 6, 2018, 12:16:33 am »
I'm still at the beginning of the journey and I'm getting my ass kicked. Brilliant game. Still figuring out how to beat certain enemies and when to block, when to dodge, when to run etc.

Offline dalarr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: May 6, 2018, 11:12:46 am »
Getting my ass handed to me when fighting multiple enemies. Any tips? Don’t want to read walkthroughs or guides. Will put in in a spoiler but I am at the beginning of the journey.
Spoiler
Defeated The Stranger and am now in the abandoned marketplace/ruins where the Gods and Giants used to trade. I have to fight a group of enemies that seem like Draugr but much stronger. I use the stun move and try to alternate between blocking and dodging but they are too many. Don’t want to change the difficulty as it’s already on normal. Any general tips here?
[close]

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: May 6, 2018, 11:54:53 am »
I don't tend to block much when there is multiple enemies as it slows your movement and freedom. I always find my movement limited when blocking. I tend to roll alot, use Atreus constantly. Are the enemies your on about the blue ones that don't take much damage from your axe. Just go with your fists on them and build up the meter then press R3. If they are the ones that is.

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: May 6, 2018, 12:16:26 pm »
Do I need to play through the old ones to play this?

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: May 6, 2018, 12:41:46 pm »
Do I need to play through the old ones to play this?

No. They allude to Kratos past ( I'm sure you already know he's a Greek god) but it's not a sequel to the others.

Offline dalarr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: May 6, 2018, 12:50:56 pm »
Thanks Upinsmoke (once again). No it’s not the blue lads, it’s Draugr but a bit beefier. I’ll roll my way to success later tonight then.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: May 6, 2018, 12:56:43 pm »
If you look in the beastiary which is in the codex tab of the menu it should have in it the best way to defeat them. Atreus keeps it updated.

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: May 6, 2018, 01:51:00 pm »
No. They allude to Kratos past ( I'm sure you already know he's a Greek god) but it's not a sequel to the others.

Cheers man.

Offline RedKenWah

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: May 7, 2018, 08:54:38 pm »
Getting my ass handed to me when fighting multiple enemies. Any tips? Don’t want to read walkthroughs or guides. Will put in in a spoiler but I am at the beginning of the journey.
Spoiler
Defeated The Stranger and am now in the abandoned marketplace/ruins where the Gods and Giants used to trade. I have to fight a group of enemies that seem like Draugr but much stronger. I use the stun move and try to alternate between blocking and dodging but they are too many. Don’t want to change the difficulty as it’s already on normal. Any general tips here?
[close]

I’d concentrate on the lesser enemies first and kill them quickly, and then move onto the tougher foes. If you get stuck then use Rage of Spartan as well

Offline dalarr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: May 7, 2018, 08:59:06 pm »
I’d concentrate on the lesser enemies first and kill them quickly, and then move onto the tougher foes. If you get stuck then use Rage of Spartan as well
They turned out to be Heavy Draugr. Used Spartan Rage and made it through.

Offline dalarr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: May 8, 2018, 09:17:43 pm »
I would also like to add that with combat being that difficult, it adds a suspense to the game. I’m actually dreading going forward out of anxiety. Brilliant.

Offline RedKenWah

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: May 9, 2018, 08:46:48 pm »
as you pick up more xp you’ll unlock more moves which will help you out. Also you’ll get the opportunity to get more runic attacks which will help.

However there are also a lot more difficult enemies who will be an absolute pain and will make you want to unleash your own version of Rage of Spartan  ;D

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: May 9, 2018, 09:57:35 pm »
So anyone actually beat this yet? I'm taking my time, it's not the kind of game I want to rush through.

If you've managed to open odin's chambers..
Spoiler
anyone gone up against a valkryie yet? Damn hard them things, I've only faced a couple, the first when you get the ability to open the chambers (forget the location name) and the second one by the witch of the woods, A valkryie named Kara, fucking hell it took me a lot of goes, in the end the Klopp fists were coming out when I finally did it :D
[close]

Offline RedKenWah

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: May 10, 2018, 06:50:54 am »
So anyone actually beat this yet? I'm taking my time, it's not the kind of game I want to rush through.

If you've managed to open odin's chambers..
Spoiler
anyone gone up against a valkryie yet? Damn hard them things, I've only faced a couple, the first when you get the ability to open the chambers (forget the location name) and the second one by the witch of the woods, A valkryie named Kara, fucking hell it took me a lot of goes, in the end the Klopp fists were coming out when I finally did it :D
[close]

Yep completed the game and managed to beat
Spoiler
beat all of the Valkyrie’s. You have 8 dotted around those hidden chambers and then you have a final one at the council of the Valkyrie who uses all of the attacks of the others and is an actual pain in the ass! Oh yeah suppose remember what each ones attack set is.
[close]

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #108 on: May 10, 2018, 09:02:54 am »

I'd read up on it a bit at least, so you know some context of what they are talking about.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline PhilV

• Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #109 on: May 10, 2018, 09:06:56 am »
Yep completed the game and managed to beat
Spoiler
beat all of the Valkyrie’s. You have 8 dotted around those hidden chambers and then you have a final one at the council of the Valkyrie who uses all of the attacks of the others and is an actual pain in the ass! Oh yeah suppose remember what each ones attack set is.
[close]

Best tip is, whenever she goes up in the air, use the axe throw to bring her down and get a few hits in, she's hard if you don't do that, if you do she becomes quite simple.

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: May 11, 2018, 12:57:16 am »
Just got the     
Spoiler
blades of chaos
[close]

Oh how I have missed this!!!!

The game just gets better and better. Going down as one of the best I've played in years. Along with Zelda and Witcher 3.

I’ve just got them as well, they’re insane!

What a cracking game, taking my time with it so I reckon it’ll take me a while to complete. Too good to rush through it.

Offline OneTouchFooty

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: May 15, 2018, 12:04:32 pm »
This game is fantastic. The narrative slowly playing out, visuals are gorgeous and the game can be challenging, especially negotiating some of these battles as the combat takes some getting used to. I think I’ve done about 5-6 hours worth so far and I’ve just managed to arrive at the first sort of world of Alfheim.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #112 on: May 22, 2018, 12:01:22 am »
Just got this. Player for the first hour up to the end of the Stranger fight.

Fun so far and beautifully ‘shot’.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: May 23, 2018, 06:29:31 am »
Aside from the game being a success with reviewers etc, it's been a huge commercial success as well

"God of War has had a better debut than any other PlayStation exclusive ever, according to The NPD Group. Not only was it the best-selling game in the U.S. in April, but it’s performance in its first month also outpaces all other PlayStation exclusives. That’s not just PlayStation 4 — it’s for any PlayStation since the platform’s debut in 1995.

God of War came out on April 20, so it was only available for 10 days in the month. But it was still able to break the record, beating Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, which came out for the PlayStation 2 in October 2004."

Offline dalarr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: May 24, 2018, 09:13:19 pm »
Well deserved. It’s nice to see that bringing out a quality product pays off from time to time. At the same time that I’m enjoying this masterpiece I see that Black Ops 4 is announced *yawn*

Offline Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: May 26, 2018, 01:17:22 pm »
At 5 million copies sold in one month time. That's very impressive from an exclusive, probably already outsold every previous God of War title.

Offline bailey90

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #116 on: June 2, 2018, 10:12:31 pm »
Just got the 'things' back.

Awesome.
Twitter: @Bailey_90

Offline OneTouchFooty

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: June 3, 2018, 03:24:20 pm »
No idea how far through I am but I’m enjoying going off exploring and doing the little side missions, still have 4/5 realms to unlock but in no rush just to smash out the story and rush through it like others, it’s too good to be doing that. I’m at the point
Spoiler
Atreus gets sick and you kill that Ogre thing for his heart
[close]

But really enjoying the story as well and all those little tales the tree head guy tells. First PS4 game in a long while that’s captivated me like this one has.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #118 on: June 4, 2018, 08:00:52 am »
There's a point in this game which is just annoyingly difficult and I can't get past which has really put me off the game. Think it's only a side mission so I suppose I could just skip it but it's a bit of a shame as up until that point I've found the game to be a challenge but an enjoyable one.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #119 on: June 4, 2018, 08:57:08 am »
There's a point in this game which is just annoyingly difficult and I can't get past which has really put me off the game. Think it's only a side mission so I suppose I could just skip it but it's a bit of a shame as up until that point I've found the game to be a challenge but an enjoyable one.

At least stick it in spoilers so we can try to help ;D