Author Topic: What games are you playing at the moment?  (Read 210442 times)

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: What games are you playing at the moment?
« Reply #1920 on: November 12, 2021, 02:48:00 pm »
Wasted a good hour on this today.

me too

I've been crying laughing at some of the vids

The one with the guy getting chased by a dozen identical thugs with baseball bats is piss funny.  Cop cars just driving past ignoring everything.

:lmao

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #1921 on: November 12, 2021, 03:19:41 pm »
Wish I'd kept my physical versions of 3, Vice City and San Andreas. Bet they're worth a fuck tonne now :D
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #1922 on: November 12, 2021, 03:31:25 pm »
I still have the original physical PC versions of GTA III & GTA San Andreas, although the OS is well out of date, as the OS is windows 2000/XP/ME, my laptop is windows 10.
#Sausages

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1923 on: November 12, 2021, 04:01:26 pm »
This remaster and Cyberpunk have had me pissing myself at screenshots and videos when they released.

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1924 on: November 12, 2021, 04:16:41 pm »
This remaster and Cyberpunk have had me pissing myself at screenshots and videos when they released.

was about to say, haven't had this much fun since the Cyberpunk release  :D
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1925 on: November 12, 2021, 04:21:21 pm »
San Andreas looks much better than those screen grabs, it also plays like a dream.  Ive just left Los Santos and Ive had a blast.

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #1926 on: November 12, 2021, 04:24:33 pm »
I see their pc launcher has been down now since last night meaning none of their pc games can be played at all. Except the pirated ones obviously.

Offline aka_da_saus

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • follow me on twitter @aka_da_saus
« Reply #1927 on: November 12, 2021, 10:02:55 pm »
don't understand all the negativity . san andreas looks and plays lovely
we hate nottingham forest
we hate everton 2 THERE SHIT
we hate man united
but liverpool we love u
all together now

Offline Dench57

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1928 on: November 13, 2021, 09:48:50 am »
don't understand all the negativity . san andreas looks and plays lovely

The rain looks really horrible...

https://twitter.com/jankynedelko/status/1458946171926458372?s=21

Having said that, watching all these vids yesterday did get me in the mood to play them again, I'm sure they're good for a nostalgia trip. Just can't bring myself to pay that price for 'em!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2021, 09:51:05 am by Dench57 »
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1929 on: November 13, 2021, 08:12:29 pm »
Gave Forza 5 a go, having never played a Forza game before. It’s all nice, graphics are three steps ahead of anything else I played on Series S - but I’m desperately shit at it. Might be becase I doubled the horsepower on a Ford Cossie and it’s now literally uncontrollable. I guess my plan of being a one car man isn’t going to work and I need different wheels for different races.

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1930 on: November 13, 2021, 09:06:16 pm »
Playing Disco Elysium again, the new version with voice actors.  Sublime.  To call it a ‘game’ does it a disservice, it’s an experience. Hilarious and thoroughly depressing.  The Long Goodbye of games.

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #1931 on: November 13, 2021, 09:21:56 pm »
Gave Forza 5 a go, having never played a Forza game before. It’s all nice, graphics are three steps ahead of anything else I played on Series S - but I’m desperately shit at it. Might be becase I doubled the horsepower on a Ford Cossie and it’s now literally uncontrollable. I guess my plan of being a one car man isn’t going to work and I need different wheels for different races.

if it's anything like 4 (I've found a version of 5 but not bothered to get it yet) then it probably throws cars at you anyway.

but ruining them is part of the fun!

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #1932 on: November 13, 2021, 10:10:13 pm »
I guess my plan of being a one car man isn’t going to work and I need different wheels for different races.

It depends what you want to do - each week new challenges go live and a good number of them require cars of a certain category (which could be something like Super GT, Retro Rally, Hypercar etc, or even specific manufacturer, or sometimes something a bit more random like 'heavy' or 'expensive') and also a certain class (the game is broken up into D, C, B, A, S1, S2 classes, and also the unrated X class which isn't used for races).

So for example, in this week 1 of season 1, there's a speed zone challenge (maintain a speed above a certain number through a couple of corners) that has to be completed in an A class BMW.

The weekly challenges are what keeps the game fresh after you've done everything on the map. Another thing to consider is that the game's 'accolade' reward system also has rewards for completing races across all the different categories and classes - Forza Horizon styles itself a massive car-based playground, and aims to have players switching around cars quite often as needed. It's not a pure racing game where you find the exact car & tune that works for your driving style and take on all-comers.

Re: tuning cars

You can apply tunes made by other people if you want to avoid slapping random parts into a car and making it undriveable. The game is too new to have any player rankings yet but over time the highly-ranked tuners will emerge as before.

If you do want to play around with upgrades yourself (because it is fun, but it can be a chore when you have to quickly build mulitple specific cars for events) then my advice is to slap on 3 things first - a driveline change to AWD, the highest weight reduction you can find, and the best brakes. This makes virtually every car launch faster and maintain far more speed through each corner. Tyres are the other important upgrade, but those depend on what type of races you're looking to do as there are specific ones for road, offroad etc. I always do these 4 things before upping the power output.

If you're trying to keep a car in a particular class and those upgrades take it over the limit, I recommend starting with a lower-rated car. I tend to find that a B class car upgraded into A class will be a better machine than a stock A class for example. Obviously if you're trying to squeeze slight gains out of a highly-rated S2 hypercar then there's not much wiggle room, but most car categories exist across multiple classes so there's incredible variety to be found.

"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1933 on: November 13, 2021, 10:12:08 pm »
That's my issue with Forza Horizon as well, cars are a bit out of control sometimes and have shit handling. Forza 7 is great though, like a different game.

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #1934 on: November 13, 2021, 10:33:02 pm »
That's my issue with Forza Horizon as well, cars are a bit out of control sometimes and have shit handling. Forza 7 is great though, like a different game.

I haven't played any of the motorsport games, but from what I've read they use different physics engines, and so feel very different.

The only cars that I find constantly out of control are the classic muscle cars that have no upgrades - they can veer wildly out of control just off the start line, and the back end is all over the place around anything but a gentle curve. Funnily enough, once they have AWD like I mentioned above, they start to behave.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1935 on: November 14, 2021, 02:07:10 am »

Yeah, I agree with most of that. I like Forza Horizon for a bit of open world mayhem, but the physics represent proper driving in the same way that MMA represents ballet and the handling is a nightmare with a wheel and pedals. No VR either, which is a bummer. I used to love Forza games (motorsport/horizon) but it's hard to go back for anything other than short 'dicking around' sessions after Automobilista 2 and ACC.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2021, 02:11:28 am by Darren G »

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1936 on: November 14, 2021, 06:05:45 am »
Forza Horizon games look amazing to be honest and the one series I'd love to get an Xbox for.

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1937 on: November 14, 2021, 08:16:40 am »
Forza Horizon are good games just to have a roam about in and go through some fields but there's not much challenge and no real progression system. It's not a very rewarding experience. Playing a bit of 5 I actually prefer 4 in terms of setting but essentially it's the same game. Also a bit dissapointed it can't do full 4k at 60fps. Switching to performance mode feels nicer but there's too much pop in and graining in the image, go back to 30 and the aggressive motion blur makes you feel sick.

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1938 on: November 14, 2021, 10:11:14 am »
Forza Horizon are good games just to have a roam about in and go through some fields but there's not much challenge and no real progression system. It's not a very rewarding experience. Playing a bit of 5 I actually prefer 4 in terms of setting but essentially it's the same game. Also a bit dissapointed it can't do full 4k at 60fps. Switching to performance mode feels nicer but there's too much pop in and graining in the image, go back to 30 and the aggressive motion blur makes you feel sick.
Ah, I've never played them although they do look absolutely gorgeous.

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #1939 on: November 14, 2021, 10:46:39 am »
They're just about messing around in (virtual) cars.

I'm all about that sort of thing these days. Bollocks to slogging through races in some battered hunk of crap just to get £20 to put a slightly better exhaust on it and do slightly better.

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1940 on: November 14, 2021, 12:43:58 pm »
They're just about messing around in (virtual) cars.

I'm all about that sort of thing these days. Bollocks to slogging through races in some battered hunk of crap just to get £20 to put a slightly better exhaust on it and do slightly better.

Horses for courses I guess.  Personally I like to spend most of my time (with driving games) with the immersion and feeling of driving with good physics in VR, hence my preference for proper sims.  That said - and as you say - it's also a lot of fun to sometimes just randomly fuck around now and then with things like FH.  If you're looking for a proper facsimile of a driving experience the horizon series isn't gonna be for you.  Doesn't mean that it can't be a lot of fun though. 

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1941 on: November 14, 2021, 02:42:33 pm »
I enjoy a good arcade racer. GT is great but it's a bit too serious. I'd love more games like the NFS Undergrounds or Most Wanted (the 2005 one). Games that were fairly easy to pick up and play and had decent progression.

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #1942 on: November 14, 2021, 11:08:11 pm »
Did try Horizon5 on Gamepass. Sadly, it just crashed and went back to the desktop twice during the intro-"missions". So, I'll give it a pass until they maybe patch it...

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #1943 on: November 15, 2021, 10:56:46 am »
I enjoy a good arcade racer. GT is great but it's a bit too serious. I'd love more games like the NFS Undergrounds or Most Wanted (the 2005 one). Games that were fairly easy to pick up and play and had decent progression.
For my sins, I get a lot more enjoyment out of these old school NFS Games, or the Codemaster Dirt/Grid series' than I ever have out of Forza, which for some reason has never resonated with me, either Motorsport or Horizon.

On Grid I loved the progression of driving smaller cars as a driver-for-hire, then one you'd made enough money, buying your own car and creating your own team, picking the name, the colour scheme, earning sponsors etc and building up enough cash to hire more drivers and expand the team. It felt rewarding and I enjoyed the track and car variety.

After 10 years, I finally got the last achievement I was missing on Skyrim. I haven't gone after achievements for probably a decade or so, but felt it was fitting to cap this given the tremendous hours I've put into it.

Trying to bring myself mentally to a place to be able to start one of The Witcher 3 or Red Dead Redemption 2. I started both when they came out but was a lot more all over the place geographically with work at the time so never got round to playing them. Now I principally work at home, I'm in the living room at 18:00 rather than a train or a hotel room. Games like this - which I love to be honest, stuff like Mass Effect, Red Dead 1 etc are some of my favourite games of all time - sometimes just overwhelm me when I can't remember the mechanics and am admittedly crap at the gameplay of these days.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #1944 on: November 15, 2021, 10:59:54 am »
witcher 3 isn't exactly a barrel of laughs, but it's quite a lot less bleak than rdr2.

if you do get it make sure you get the version with the 2 expansions.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1945 on: November 15, 2021, 11:04:07 am »
witcher 3 isn't exactly a barrel of laughs, but it's quite a lot less bleak than rdr2.

if you do get it make sure you get the version with the 2 expansions.
I already have both games, purchased at launch, just never really played either. The Witcher 3 is the GOTY edition so I assume it has all the added content.

It's not bleakness that puts me off - most good game stories are bleak, it's the enormity of the games and learning all the mechanics etc. I don't need games to be uber-accessible, but I tend to game in hour chunks here and there, I never really get a chance to sit down and immerse myself in game worlds anymore, which is why a quick blast on a Fifa or Tetris or something often appeals more than jumping into a huge, expansive open world. I still haven't fully finished Fallout 4 yet and that's one of my all time favourite franchises too.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1946 on: November 15, 2021, 11:21:06 am »
Probably my two favourite games ever. I've had plenty of times where I've gone back into them after months without and you pick it back up pretty quickly (probably after dying a few times but oh well). If you're picking them back up, but starting again, then I think the Witcher is probably a bit more 'pick up and play' but to be honest I reckon both of them are still good for playing for an hour or two.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1947 on: November 15, 2021, 11:26:11 am »
Probably my two favourite games ever. I've had plenty of times where I've gone back into them after months without and you pick it back up pretty quickly (probably after dying a few times but oh well). If you're picking them back up, but starting again, then I think the Witcher is probably a bit more 'pick up and play' but to be honest I reckon both of them are still good for playing for an hour or two.
I did the initial snowy bit in Red Dead (maybe an hour's gameplay?) and I probably put more like 3-4 hours into The Witcher, but as this was like 3 years ago I'm inclined to start both again. I'm leaning towards Red Dead at the moment, not played a Rockstar game since LA Noire I don't think (really good game that gets a lot of shit) and have spent a lot of time recently going through Skyrim again, so I'm ready for a non-fantasy setting.

I always thought The Witcher's combat was fun though, a cut above TES. I seem to remember fighting a Griffin-like thing, then being unable to track a Werewolf through some woods and essentially giving up there.

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1948 on: November 15, 2021, 12:51:19 pm »

Well, you and I actually agree on something, which must make the greatness of TW3 and RDR2 one of the great truths of the universe.   

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1949 on: November 15, 2021, 01:10:45 pm »
Third person RPGs have always been a favourite of mine, Mass Effect and Fable are two of my all time favourite games series. I popped downstairs on break to start downloading Red Dead, I have a few days off next week with nothing else to fill the time, so we'll see how we go.

Offline Dench57

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1950 on: November 15, 2021, 01:13:12 pm »
Trying to bring myself mentally to a place to be able to start one of The Witcher 3 or Red Dead Redemption 2. I started both when they came out but was a lot more all over the place geographically with work at the time so never got round to playing them. Now I principally work at home, I'm in the living room at 18:00 rather than a train or a hotel room. Games like this - which I love to be honest, stuff like Mass Effect, Red Dead 1 etc are some of my favourite games of all time - sometimes just overwhelm me when I can't remember the mechanics and am admittedly crap at the gameplay of these days.

I bounced off both of them in the early stages too, which surprised me as similar to you I love that type of game (Fable, Mass Effect, TES etc). Not being able to dedicate long sessions (which I think these types of games really benefit from), getting overwhelmed and just not mentally committing to them I guess. I re-visited them almost a year after dropping them and they turned out to be probably my favourite games of all time! I'm envious of you, they're gaming masterpieces imo which I can't recommend enough. One at a time though!

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1951 on: November 15, 2021, 01:26:12 pm »
Took me a while to get into RDR2 as well, was only on the 3rd attempt to get into that I got hooked on it, and the further you get into the story, the better it gets - it's now my favourite ever game I think.

Probably need to try again with TW3 as I've given a few goes but just not felt it so far, and I have barely got anywhere in it.

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1952 on: November 15, 2021, 01:36:37 pm »
For my sins, I get a lot more enjoyment out of these old school NFS Games, or the Codemaster Dirt/Grid series' than I ever have out of Forza, which for some reason has never resonated with me, either Motorsport or Horizon.

On Grid I loved the progression of driving smaller cars as a driver-for-hire, then one you'd made enough money, buying your own car and creating your own team, picking the name, the colour scheme, earning sponsors etc and building up enough cash to hire more drivers and expand the team. It felt rewarding and I enjoyed the track and car variety.

Never played any of the GRID/Dirt games. Might just pick one up to scratch that racing itch.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #1953 on: November 15, 2021, 01:46:11 pm »
Both amazing games. I'd say The Witcher 3 edges it.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1954 on: November 15, 2021, 02:24:44 pm »
Took me a while to get into RDR2 as well, was only on the 3rd attempt to get into that I got hooked on it, and the further you get into the story, the better it gets - it's now my favourite ever game I think.

Probably need to try again with TW3 as I've given a few goes but just not felt it so far, and I have barely got anywhere in it.

I think the Witcher you probably do need to go quite deep, and then you start getting an idea of how many of the stories interlink and get blown away by it.

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1955 on: November 15, 2021, 02:35:27 pm »
Both amazing games. I'd say The Witcher 3 edges it.

Yeah, same for me.  If I had the choice of only ever having played one of the two, with the knowledge of both games that I have now, then it's hands-down Witcher 3.

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #1956 on: November 15, 2021, 03:27:48 pm »
Witcher 3 is better, but that's not to say rdr2 isn't really good too. I'm just not sure I'll replay it at any point though.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1957 on: November 15, 2021, 03:56:40 pm »
Witcher 3 is better, but that's not to say rdr2 isn't really good too. I'm just not sure I'll replay it at any point though.
Replayability is an interesting question when factoring in a game's greatness. RPGs are often eminently more replayable, you can employ different playstyles as well as different choices in the game, if the game allows it. I loved Red Dead Redemption (1) but never replayed it once completed, save a few messes around on the online element. The original Mass Effect I got 5 or 6 play throughs out of and I can imagine The Witcher to be somewhat similar in that sense.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1958 on: November 15, 2021, 03:57:31 pm »

RD is a great game but like you I think Witcher is better but that's probably because I've played them all,I did buy RD1 but sacked it off almost straight away,doubt I will ever play it again unless they polish it up which is doubtful as the time to do that was straight after 2.

I made loads of money selling RD1 on ebay though,Argos were selling it for £12'sh and people were paying £25-30 for it in auctions,highest price I got was £38  ;D
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #1959 on: November 15, 2021, 04:08:23 pm »
Replayability is an interesting question when factoring in a game's greatness. RPGs are often eminently more replayable, you can employ different playstyles as well as different choices in the game, if the game allows it. I loved Red Dead Redemption (1) but never replayed it once completed, save a few messes around on the online element. The original Mass Effect I got 5 or 6 play throughs out of and I can imagine The Witcher to be somewhat similar in that sense.

it's not the type of game as such, HZD doesn't really have much difference from one play to the next but I was happy to have another go through that.