Author Topic: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt [PC/PS4/XB1]  (Read 107260 times)

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt [PC/PS4/XB1]
« Reply #80 on: May 17, 2015, 03:22:22 pm »
You are all a bunch of twats :D

I can't wait till this is released.

If it's any consolation mate...

...it's fucking awesome. Have a nice day :)

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #81 on: May 17, 2015, 03:28:25 pm »
You are all a bunch of twats :D

Why? You just have to remember that when we're still playing the game they'll have already finished it and will have to play some dross like Farming Simulator... ;)

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: May 17, 2015, 11:39:59 pm »
To be honest the one thing that annoys me about game developers is don't advertise your game to be something it isn't.

It's not about one crack or one blade of grass and it's not about one platform or another, the game has been downgraded across the board.
The word "downgrade" gets thrown about too often, and pictures with silly arrows drawn on them highlighting minor details that have been changed are more annoying. It's not a downgrade. It's the optimisation stage of the game where certain assets get stripped of polygons because they just don't need them in there. Minor changes like that really don't make a great deal to the overall look of a game at all. I also like the fact they compare shots with completely different lighting set ups.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: May 18, 2015, 12:08:39 am »
Last time i fell for that was when MacPhisto80 convinced me that this generations games would look like that first video they showed for The Order.  :P
:)
The reveal trailer for The Order did end up being the actual game though, or at least looking exactly like the reveal. It's one of the only few examples of that happening. Pity the game was shite despite how good it looked.

The reason for all these games looking the part in the early stages these days is simple: devs now have the same kind of modelling tools to produce assets that are on the same level of big budget CGI film. They can just model something in high fidelity and port it to a game. The difficulty lies in making a model that looks detailed, but is lower poly. Whenever they want to quickly showcase a game in production, they just use these high def models that get used in cut scenes. They may still be rendered in real time, but they aren't the same LOD model as the in game one you actually use when playing the game, so when people eventually see that, they just think its been downgraded. The reality is, every game gets downgraded in the optimisation stages.

Back in the day, when devs only worked on the actual game model first, the process was very different. Models were built in sections, or blocks, and pieced together at the joints. They were then improved on later as development went on. Here's a pic of Mario's model from Mario 64 for an example of that.

Notice the floating cuboid sections that make up his limbs.

This method is counter-intuitive, and this model actually has more polygons than Mario's model used in Mario Sunshine, a gen above this.  Today is different, as there are so many more different assets involved like pixel shaders, advanced lighting etc. It all eats at the games performance, so they don't really know how well a game will perform if they give or take any of these modern elements. It's just a completely different process.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 12:12:28 am by Macphisto80 »

Offline stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: May 19, 2015, 12:28:14 am »
Wow... What a great looking game. It also plays a bit better than the first ones. I like that you can now jump over stuff and it seems a bit smoother than the first two. Looks like I might be getting into this. Have played about an hour and a half (playing on PC and could start the game via the GOG-client a couple of minutes before midnight) and it looks like there is a lot to do... First thing I did was fall off the balcony and die right at the start of the tutorial when I was trying to get a better look at the scenery...

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #85 on: May 19, 2015, 11:30:48 am »
Bought digital copy from US PSN store, £38.00.
Downloading now and will be there when I get home.

Whoop whoop fucking yeeehaw!

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #86 on: May 19, 2015, 12:26:25 pm »
Will see if I can pick this up sometime at lunch

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: May 19, 2015, 06:52:00 pm »
Patch on release that improves some shadows, grass etc...

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: May 19, 2015, 06:55:27 pm »
Tried to get it this morning, Gamestop fucked up my order 3 times, cancelled the order and went to best buy during lunch time.

Come on 5 pm!

Offline Redmaj

• Anny Roader
  • Butter does not Discriminate.
« Reply #89 on: May 19, 2015, 08:32:41 pm »
Spent the day playing the prologue on PC. Runs as smooth as butter. Awesome gameplay and graphics.

"To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best day and night to make you like everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight and never stop fighting."

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #90 on: May 19, 2015, 08:41:35 pm »
been playing a jarg copy on pc, enjoying it so far so will pick it up for ps4 when i get paid

the attention to detail is great, can't think of too many games i've played that feel alive, was out in a forest during a storm and more or less every tree & plant was moving with the wind, had headphones on as well so it sounded amazing

Offline stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: May 19, 2015, 10:57:17 pm »
Fights are still a pain in the arse though... I'm using the lowest difficulty as I basically just want to explore the world and follow the story without dying all the time... ;)

Offline walshys_mullet

• Aka walshys_mullet. Thinks manager is a coward. Only posts in match threads every other week due to rotation. We suspect this is John Aldridge or Andy Gray posting under a pseudonym.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: May 20, 2015, 12:37:01 am »
This is amazeballs!
"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later."

The Great 'Should have been Sir' Bob Paisley

Offline bailey90

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #93 on: May 20, 2015, 03:06:55 am »
Only played about 3/4 hours top, but my god is it good.

It's the game I've wanted since Skyrim, where you can just go off, explore, and bump into side quests along the way.

One thing though, on my player stats, it says my play time is 11 hours now, and it's nowhere near that. Is that in-game time?
Twitter: @Bailey_90

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: May 20, 2015, 03:54:15 am »
Played it for about 3 hours give or take , finding the movement very clunky. Horse gets stuck on 1 root and I spend at least 10-15 seconds trying to maneuver out of there and then just give up. Otherwise really enjoying it so far!

Died once though.

Offline RivaGe

• Legacy Fan
  • walk on
« Reply #95 on: May 20, 2015, 09:25:39 am »
I suck :( Getting killed by 3 lvl 4 drowners when I am lvl 4 as well.

Offline scouser4eva

• but is Eva4Scouser? Wants an old willy
  • Legacy Fan
  • " god wanted west ham to win but gerrard said no "
« Reply #96 on: May 20, 2015, 09:26:41 am »
Fantastic game this so much replay value with so much to do, been playing for about 4-5 hours and only done like 3 main missions.

game of the year for me

Offline stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: May 20, 2015, 10:04:26 am »
I suck :( Getting killed by 3 lvl 4 drowners when I am lvl 4 as well.

Hate the fights and have done so in both of the earlier Witcher-games. Just not my cup of tea. It's not helping that - as Chakan said - the movement is rather clunky whether it's on foot or on horseback. I got pretty far in the first game, never really had the motivation to play through the second one, but the Witcher 3 looks like a game I might want to finish. Having the diffiulty on the lowest setting helps though. For me this kind of game is not so much about the fights, but more about the stories you experience in all those quests. And they seem to be quite interesting and varied even if it's just small side-quests.

Offline walshys_mullet

• Aka walshys_mullet. Thinks manager is a coward. Only posts in match threads every other week due to rotation. We suspect this is John Aldridge or Andy Gray posting under a pseudonym.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: May 20, 2015, 10:36:01 am »
Adjust the sensitivity on your controller in the witcher menu. I found it was too sensitive.

Seemed to adjusted now. The combat - its important to keep moving and dodging because the block only works so much. As you get used to it youll be cutting foes to pieces in no time.
"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later."

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #99 on: May 20, 2015, 11:44:26 am »
Been playing this for a few hours last night, on the normal setting. Only managed to kill the griffin after like 7 attempts or something, but it's the first Witcher game I've ever played though, so I was expecting a challenge of some sort, and am kind of glad I'm not just breezing through it all. The 'just story' setting may well be the best way to take it all in with a bare minimum of gaming frustration to interrupt the narrative flow, but unless you really are utterly unable to progress after 30+ goes at a certain part, I wouldn't recommend that approach at all. It should feel reasonably perilous, that adds to the overall sense of adventure, and whether that's through trying to adapt to a slight sense of clunkiness (controlling a kind of knight decked out in heavy armour should be a little bit clunky! haha) or just a mad difficulty curve in general (like Demon's Souls, for me), you should persevere on normal, just as the designers intended for most players [or at least not the piss-easy setting], especially given how wonderfully helpful the save system is on this, and the easily skippable cutscenes and dialogue. I think it's a good thing to have to really consider whether you can feasibly take those enemies up ahead on, or should just avoid them till you're stronger, that adds a strategic element, and it'll give the game added satisfaction longevity for yous too, it'll feel far more rewaring in general... although I wouldn't try and tackle the harder settings myself just yet; that might be a touch too infuriating. 

As for the rest of it, the proper flesh & blood of RPGs, the presentation and storytelling is just absolutely amazing. The world really is beautiful to look at and listen too, and I'm finding myself not wanting to fast travel at all. Gwent is fun in its own right too, hoping to rake in some coin with that at some stage (though will probably get my arse handed to me then!). I even sort of like how sometimes slightly uncooperative your trusty steed Roach can be, it gives him that bit more personality. The characterisation and writing is just brilliant across the board, and the natural lighting and general aesthetic attention to detail is pretty bloody extraordinary. Technically speaking, on PS4 the only noticeable framerate issues I've had has been with most busy and detailed cinematics, the game itself has played smoothly for me when no other applications have been running in the background, which is genuinely impressive given the visuals and scope of it all.
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: May 20, 2015, 12:21:19 pm »
What's the performance on this like? I don't want to get it if it's been terribly optimised like W2 was.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: May 20, 2015, 12:23:07 pm »
What's the performance on this like? I don't want to get it if it's been terribly optimised like W2 was.

I'm running on PC and had no issues whatsoever. Very smooth and very good.

Offline stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: May 20, 2015, 12:31:10 pm »
I'm running on PC and had no issues whatsoever. Very smooth and very good.

Same for me. Have most of the stuff on High or Ultra (Intel i7 4790 and Geforce GTX970) and only if I turn on Nvidia hairworks it feels a little less fluid (but far far away from unplayable). The only issue I've had are occasional freezes. Have played 4 or 5 hours yesterday and the game froze two or three times during that period. I'm not sure, but I think it was always during or at the beginning of cut-scenes. With the autosave-system it wasn't a huge issue.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 12:32:45 pm by stoa »

Offline RivaGe

• Legacy Fan
  • walk on
« Reply #103 on: May 20, 2015, 01:13:39 pm »
Hate the fights and have done so in both of the earlier Witcher-games. Just not my cup of tea. It's not helping that - as Chakan said - the movement is rather clunky whether it's on foot or on horseback. I got pretty far in the first game, never really had the motivation to play through the second one, but the Witcher 3 looks like a game I might want to finish. Having the diffiulty on the lowest setting helps though. For me this kind of game is not so much about the fights, but more about the stories you experience in all those quests. And they seem to be quite interesting and varied even if it's just small side-quests.
I beat both previous games (W2 twice) and never had issues with combat. W3 seems crazy hard though.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: May 20, 2015, 01:17:23 pm »
<snip>

Very well put. I saw the "Just Story" mode but didn't quite know what to expect from it and opted for the normal mode. I've never had a problem with the fighting, I guess I play WoW a lot and it uses a lot of the same keys for movement and fighting, so i'm used to my fingers being that side of the keyboard.

I've hardly done any of the main mission other than kill the Griffin. Which took awhile but I didn't die, I ran away and eat and recovered and then went back to fight it some more.

I'm now searching every place on the map for a "?" and seeing what's there. It's very immersing and a great game, i'm sure it will only get better.

Offline walshys_mullet

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: May 20, 2015, 02:06:17 pm »
Very well put. I saw the "Just Story" mode but didn't quite know what to expect from it and opted for the normal mode. I've never had a problem with the fighting, I guess I play WoW a lot and it uses a lot of the same keys for movement and fighting, so i'm used to my fingers being that side of the keyboard.

I've hardly done any of the main mission other than kill the Griffin. Which took awhile but I didn't die, I ran away and eat and recovered and then went back to fight it some more.

I'm now searching every place on the map for a "?" and seeing what's there. It's very immersing and a great game, i'm sure it will only get better.

That part of the map is tiny in comparison to whats to come next.....

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: May 20, 2015, 02:10:06 pm »
That part of the map is tiny in comparison to whats to come next.....

Looking forward to it! I love games that i'm not going to finish in a week.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: May 20, 2015, 02:50:38 pm »
Every day since I first played it on saturday, i've been dying to get home and get back on it.

It's my GOTY so far by far.

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #108 on: May 20, 2015, 03:39:59 pm »
Only at level 2 didn't have much time last night, but was lovely just riding around and taking it in.

Looking forward to some time where I can get properly stuck in.

Offline bailey90

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #109 on: May 20, 2015, 03:55:18 pm »
Did the mission with the ghost at the well last night. Was so immersive and fun to say it was a side mission.

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #110 on: May 20, 2015, 04:20:59 pm »
I just accepted that before I switched off. 

I have a feeling this is going to be my new Fallout.

Until Fallout 4.

Offline walshys_mullet

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: May 20, 2015, 04:22:13 pm »
From what i know the map is bigger than GTA v by 1.5 times. They also say this:

The slides mention the size of two of the areas included in the game: the city of Novigrad measures 8.5 x 8.5 km for a total size of 72,25 square km, while Skellige is 8 x 8 km, meaning 64 square km. Summed up, the two areas cover 136,25 square km, which convert to just north of 52 square miles.

And thats just two areas - less than a third of the map! Plus you need a boat to get to Skellige and you can sail the seas. Theres also mountainous vast snowy areas too...

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: May 20, 2015, 04:44:37 pm »
Okay, started this last night, just the tutorial bit and then when you set off on horses but after reading this thread, i'm gonna restart it on easy ;D

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: May 20, 2015, 06:22:41 pm »
I'm playing on normal and having no trouble with the fights, not sure why people are.
Aslong as you learn how to use the dodge and roll, be very patient and use your spells (especially the Igni one,) you can win a lot of fights first time.
Didn't have any trouble with the Noonwraith, Griffin or the Werewolf.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: May 20, 2015, 06:25:11 pm »
I'm playing on normal and having no trouble with the fights, not sure why people are.
Aslong as you learn how to use the dodge and roll, be very patient and use your spells (especially the Igni one,) you can win a lot of fights first time.

Spoiler ;)

Yeah as long as you get the block , roll and run away down you should be fine.
I died once because I thought I had killed all the wolves and forgot about the one behind me. Stupid mistake.

Offline bailey90

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #115 on: May 20, 2015, 06:26:55 pm »
I started on Normal and I've only done the Noonwraith, but it was almost too easy if anything.

Used the trap spell a couple of times along with a few sword swings and she was done.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 06:29:06 pm by bailey90 »

Offline bailey90

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #116 on: May 20, 2015, 07:27:06 pm »
I've seen that there's a couple of free DLC available at the minute, armour and facial hair stuff. But I can't find it on the store anywhere?

EDIT - Found them here:

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-gb/games/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt/cid=EP4497-CUSA01439_00-0000000000000001
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 08:25:16 pm by bailey90 »

Offline JongWK

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: May 20, 2015, 07:48:05 pm »
Tip:

If you search near the initial ghouls, you can retrieve the raven crystal skull item from the cut scene. It's around the Y crossroads.

I've read on Reddit that it disappears if you complete the griffin quest, but I can't confirm that.
"I look at him doing all sorts of crazy shit and mostly I burst out laughing at his insane genius.
I mean, if his first reaction to a ball bouncing in front of him 40 yards from goal is 'I'm going to whack this into the net from here', you just have to laugh at the sheer improbability of it all."
~~Ray K, on Luis Suarez (Liverpool 5 - Norwich 1)

Offline bailey90

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #118 on: May 20, 2015, 08:15:26 pm »
Tip:

If you search near the initial ghouls, you can retrieve the raven crystal skull item from the cut scene. It's around the Y crossroads.

I've read on Reddit that it disappears if you complete the griffin quest, but I can't confirm that.

Initial ghouls?

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: May 20, 2015, 08:21:58 pm »
Initial ghouls?
Think it means the first fight when you wake up under the tree