Author Topic: Struggling with depression  (Read 617738 times)

Offline PeterJM

• The Queens Drive Dodger. Has a reckless appetite for meat
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Struggling with depression.
« Reply #120 on: October 27, 2010, 12:39:14 pm »
It's back!!

Just when everything seems to be going ok it hits like juggernaut.I'm having a few problems at the moment so think stress is a contributing factor.If i'm honest i feel helpless about trying to improve my life.No matter how hard i try it never seems to get me anywhere.I'm hating my job,absolutley dispise where i'm living,family causing problems,got an aunty who's terminal with cancer,can't get a decent nights sleep and that doesn't help.I feel like i'm on a knife edge and could be it tears any minute.

Offline davenorthwales

• RAWK's utilities guru
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: October 27, 2010, 03:55:33 pm »
sounds like you have to take a step back for a moment and have a look at things from a different angle. are you trying too hard? the harder you try, the more you sem to lose..

deal with one thing at a time. write things down in order.. put it away, then look at it again a week later.

most people dislike their work supriningly.. there is nothing as bad as going to work when someone does not like it,  even the journey going to work is daunting.

ask yourself, what could you do to improve youself at work?  i liked my work. i don't particulary enjoy doing i do not like.  what helped me a long time ago was, i took a radio in with me.  or a walkman.. haha that caused some problems cos they didn't like it.  someone was even so spiteful and mentioned trying to get me banned from using a walkman because it was a danger at work.  i laughed.  the only places walkmans are banned are places such as operating theatres etc, that kind of work lol.  they wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

and the worst thing was, when i pointed it out kindly to them, using earplugs in a manufacturing industry posed a far greater risk.  you cannot hear anyone wearing earplugs and earmuffs, especially when someone is calling you in a dangerous situation (not that many situations arise that is)..

one problem overflows into another, and another. try and deal with one thing at a time if you can.  everyone feels helpless when they can't sort something out.. and that doesn't mean you are hopeless by the way

can i have my old name back please?

Offline Dr Cornwallis

• Ministry of Scilly Talks :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: November 15, 2010, 09:42:12 pm »
Just a quickie,
do people with depression actually get scared of having depression, or is it just a low mood and worthlessness, etc?

Offline And Could He Play

• aka And Could He Play.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: November 15, 2010, 09:59:52 pm »
think i'm suffering with this worse than ever now. just making me get angry with everyone and everything. i hate my life so much at the moment.
www. ... .com      RAWK Clique Leader
Not saying my ex girlfriend was a slag but even the label in her knickers said next.

Offline Dr Cornwallis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: November 15, 2010, 10:04:19 pm »
think i'm suffering with this worse than ever now. just making me get angry with everyone and everything. i hate my life so much at the moment.

Dude, tell me about it, please.
Is it anger?  Sadness?  Short temper?
But are you also scared of it?  Are you nervous?  Do you think you'll lose your mind?
I just don't get depression, sincerely.

Offline Slightly Less Mediocre Baron Bennekov

• SNITCH. Has a wotsit the size of a wasp sting. McManaman (doo doooby doo doo!) Mentally slow due to being on RAWK too much.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll see it when you believe it!
« Reply #125 on: November 15, 2010, 10:06:47 pm »

Is it your situation as a whole or is there anything in particular that upsets you?

• aka And Could He Play.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: November 15, 2010, 10:08:07 pm »
you basically summed it up, sadness and regret has led me to be so fucking angry lately. didnt even want to get out of bed today, just had to or i wouldnt have. just sitting here going over old things in my head, gets me so down. thing is i actually cant pinpoint one thing there is so many reasons. just not looking forward to xmas on my own i'll tell yer, actually shitting myself over it. i'm a grown man but times i just feel like letting the floodgates go.
Not saying my ex girlfriend was a slag but even the label in her knickers said next.

Offline PeterJM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: November 15, 2010, 10:08:24 pm »
Dude, tell me about it, please.
Is it anger?  Sadness?  Short temper?
But are you also scared of it?  Are you nervous?  Do you think you'll lose your mind?
I just don't get depression, sincerely.
in my experience there's many different causes of depression not just one single reason and not just one single effect.

• aka And Could He Play.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: November 15, 2010, 10:11:09 pm »
Is it your situation as a whole or is there anything in particular that upsets you?

a series of things, but mainly over the babys mum, which people are probably bored of hearing me go on about now. just regret, two years ago baby was only a year old, had a house, stunning girl who loved me, much better off with money. just how that has changed now is unreal. living in a rented house now cos cant afford another mortgage as she lives in our house which i pay for. only see the baby three days a week, which can seem like a lot compared to some but it used to be everyday, hitting the bottle bad. ah my world has just been turned upside down the last two years.

Offline Dr Cornwallis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: November 15, 2010, 10:14:11 pm »
you basically summed it up, sadness and regret has led me to be so fucking angry lately. didnt even want to get out of bed today, just had to or i wouldnt have. just sitting here going over old things in my head, gets me so down. thing is i actually cant pinpoint one thing there is so many reasons. just not looking forward to xmas on my own i'll tell yer, actually shitting myself over it. i'm a grown man but times i just feel like letting the floodgates go.

But, I mean, so you're upset because of something that's happened to you, or not happened to you?

Mate, let the floodgates go, you've got an emotional blockage and you need to clear it.  Have a wail, make a cup of tea, and then get back on RAWK and see if things are a little clearer.  Just a little.

Offline Dr Cornwallis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: November 15, 2010, 10:17:18 pm »
in my experience there's many different causes of depression not just one single reason and not just one single effect.

See, I have anxiety.  I know that for sure, I fear fear, it feels so real and horrible.  But I'm not buying into me having depression because it just doesn't add up with other people's experiences.  Sure, I'm fucking fed up with feeling anxious, but...why would I fear depression?  Why would I fear, actually fear, going mental and topping myself or killing someone because of depression.  People with depression don't 'fear' that do they?

• aka And Could He Play.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: November 15, 2010, 10:19:29 pm »
yeah over things thst have happened to me.

Offline PeterJM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: November 15, 2010, 10:25:21 pm »
See, I have anxiety.  I know that for sure, I fear fear, it feels so real and horrible.  But I'm not buying into me having depression because it just doesn't add up with other people's experiences.  Sure, I'm fucking fed up with feeling anxious, but...why would I fear depression?  Why would I fear, actually fear, going mental and topping myself or killing someone because of depression.  People with depression don't 'fear' that do they?
I fear death,being a failure,loneliness,losing loved ones.......its irrational but how do we combat it?

• SNITCH. Has a wotsit the size of a wasp sting. McManaman (doo doooby doo doo!) Mentally slow due to being on RAWK too much.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: November 15, 2010, 10:28:08 pm »
a series of things, but mainly over the babys mum, which people are probably bored of hearing me go on about now. just regret, two years ago baby was only a year old, had a house, stunning girl who loved me, much better off with money. just how that has changed now is unreal. living in a rented house now cos cant afford another mortgage as she lives in our house which i pay for. only see the baby three days a week, which can seem like a lot compared to some but it used to be everyday, hitting the bottle bad. ah my world has just been turned upside down the last two years.

You've probably heard this before but a bit of councelling would be good for you mate.You definately need to let go of the bottle and begin to see your situation in a different light and let go of the things in the past (NOT your baby!) and try to get back on your feet. How? I can't tell you but thats where the councelling comes in. My missus has been struggeling depressions over the years (known her for 15 years now) but she has managed to pull through by working intensively herself on solving her problems as well as eating a very low-carb diet (LOADS of carbs in alcohol!) and excersizing (running, walking at a fast pace, swimming, cycling). The excersizing releases a lot of "feel-good" hormones in your brain that makes hurdles easier to overcome.

I know it's easy for me to say all this because I don't know you or anything about your situation but for your baby you need to do something to solve this!

• aka And Could He Play.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: November 15, 2010, 10:30:33 pm »
yeah i think i really do need counselling now, let it go on too much and too long.

Offline Dr Cornwallis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: November 15, 2010, 10:34:35 pm »
I fear death,being a failure,loneliness,losing loved ones.......its irrational but how do we combat it?

I have a fear of the sensations of fear.  I actively avoid situations that illicit fear and adrenaline release.
The way I have to get over it is to face the fear and see it back down, as I KNOW it will. 
I also fear losing my job in April, losing loved ones, financial uncertainty, but I KNOW that the key word in all this is still FEAR.  There's nothing to fear in life except fear itself.  Such simple words, but 100% the answer to all this. 
It's not irrational as such, my body feels such intense bouts of adrenaline release and fear that it goes against every sinew in my body and brain to ignore it, it's my bodies defence mechanism kicking in and telling me to get ready to sprint or beat fuck out of an enemy, but it's inappropriate, it's malfunctioning, and the only way to turn it off is to carry on as normal and ignore the sensations and thoughts.

Offline PeterJM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: November 15, 2010, 10:35:11 pm »
yeah i think i really do need counselling now, let it go on too much and too long.
Do it.Let it all out and don't hold anything back.

Online Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #137 on: November 15, 2010, 10:35:51 pm »

Two things.

First, we have assigned depression a box with particular characteristics whereas it's more likely a point along a scale (a massive dendritic branch system of some sort, in fact), so there isn't a checklist as such.  Some people with depression suffer from anxiety, some don't, some people with anxiety disorders can't avoid also having mood disorders and so on and so forth.

Secondly, depression is scary and if you know people who have had depression, you don't want it. I think the bit of your post concerning topping yourself or killing someone might merit further consideration, though. Unless it was simply a throwaway remark.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: November 15, 2010, 10:35:53 pm »

My missus has battled the exact same things! She found a school in Copenhagen (we live just north of Copenhagen) that focuses solely on phobias and how to beat them. Took her some time but now she knows how to deal with the symptoms almost before they hit her and she is hardly marked by it anymore. Dunno if there are any school like that in Libpool / UK but their website is: http://www.fobiskolen.dk/index.html and on that site there is a phone number. A quick call and they could perhaps tell you if there is anything like them in the UK. Their teachings are based on Cognitive therapy as well as Mindfulness Training - perhaps the clue for a Google search there...? :wave

Offline Dr Cornwallis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: November 15, 2010, 10:37:14 pm »

yeah over things thst have happened to me.

Look at that little man, you think he wants a christmas without his daddy?
You think he wants his daddy to give up and stay in bed and be sad?
Come on mate, time to draw a line under the past.  What's happened has happened and, you know what, it's made you stronger and made you realise what's important.  Turn it around, have the best christmas in years and be a role model for that little guy, be someone he wants to be, a strong, decent and loving man.  Let it out and then let it go, and tell yourself it'll be the last time you drag up your past.
Seeing a councillor will eventually lead to the same conclusion, only YOU can turn this around, and you are well capable of doing it on your own, because at the end of the day it's only YOU who can control your thoughts and emotions, a councellor cannot do it for you.  It can help to see someone, they're basically rent-a-best-friend who won't judge you.  Have a bash at seeing one, pick a bird though.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: November 15, 2010, 10:37:32 pm »
Do it.Let it all out and don't hold anything back.

Seconded! :thumbup

Offline PeterJM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: November 15, 2010, 10:38:17 pm »
I have a fear of the sensations of fear.  I actively avoid situations that illicit fear and adrenaline release.
The way I have to get over it is to face the fear and see it back down, as I KNOW it will. 
I also fear losing my job in April, losing loved ones, financial uncertainty, but I KNOW that the key word in all this is still FEAR.  There's nothing to fear in life except fear itself.  Such simple words, but 100% the answer to all this. 
It's not irrational as such, my body feels such intense bouts of adrenaline release and fear that it goes against every sinew in my body and brain to ignore it, it's my bodies defence mechanism kicking in and telling me to get ready to sprint or beat fuck out of an enemy, but it's inappropriate, it's malfunctioning, and the only way to turn it off is to carry on as normal and ignore the sensations and thoughts.
Fight or Flight? I get a similar sensation when there's a knock at the door or the phone rings,always thinking its going to be bad news (as it was on sunday morning)

• aka And Could He Play.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: November 15, 2010, 10:39:14 pm »
its a little girl i have, although i can see how you made the mistake there ha ha, i think i'm finally going to do this though mate. before it gets worse.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: November 15, 2010, 10:39:43 pm »
Look at that little man, you think he wants a christmas without his daddy?
You think he wants his daddy to give up and stay in bed and be sad?
Come on mate, time to draw a line under the past.  What's happened has happened and, you know what, it's made you stronger and made you realise what's important.  Turn it around, have the best christmas in years and be a role model for that little guy, be someone he wants to be, a strong, decent and loving man.  Let it out and then let it go, and tell yourself it'll be the last time you drag up your past.
Seeing a councillor will eventually lead to the same conclusion, only YOU can turn this around, and you are well capable of doing it on your own, because at the end of the day it's only YOU who can control your thoughts and emotions, a councellor cannot do it for you.  It can help to see someone, they're basically rent-a-best-friend who won't judge you.  Have a bash at seeing one, pick a bird though.

I agree 100% !

The bird thing: easier said than done when you feel like this, eh?? But yes, a GF would deffo be better in the long run.

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: November 15, 2010, 10:40:17 pm »

There are so many forms of anxiety, and the same with depression, and so so many reasons why they happen. It's very difficult to pigeon hole any of it, and hence why mental health hasn't been considered seriously since time begun. It's only of late that it is started to be treated seriously, and then there's a gulf of capability set up to deal with it through the NHS, although they are miles better now.

I've suffered from anxiety/panic since about the age of 25. No reason that I can tell of, it just came. And I don't mean social anxiety, or work, or most of your typical anxieties. It's a little bit hypochondriac, although I don't really panic about general health, I just get pains in my chest and I think for a fleeting moment, I'm dying, or sometimes it can last for minutes, or even hours. Quite often I have to go outside, get some air, or away from people, or go for a lie down. I actually think it's digestional related, as I quite often get bouts after being a fat bastard and filling my boots. Still, it feels very real to me.

Social anxiety can often come with depression and vice versa. But sometimes not, and some of the soundest, roundest, nicest folk you would ever meet suffer from it. It can be triggered by all manner of things, or it can just happen. Depression isn't just sadness, it's a deep pit that you can't scramble from, and it gets in the way of what would be considered 'normal' life. If you can't cope with day to day, then depression has got a grip of you, and it's quite bad. You don't particularly fear anything like anxiety gets you, but you can be quite unable to feel any happiness or joy in life, even with happy things.

Most people will suffer from depression in their lives at some point. I've recently lost someone 6 weeks ago and have suffered from it, but have slowly come away from it. This is natural. Clinical depression doesn't disappear, and it's extraordinarily difficult to continue with a normal life. My wife is currently suffering from this, and needs to be assisted with councilling and medication so you she can function normally. However, she has suffered with depression on and off for most of her life from being a teenager, and has need 'some' assistance over the years, without big things to trigger it, just happening naturally.

It's a fucker, but the biggest and best thing you can do with both anxiety and depression, is to admit you need help and then try to tackle it head on. We get one life, and one life only, and it's too precious to be used (not wasted) on suffering.

:wave

Offline Dr Cornwallis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: November 15, 2010, 10:41:04 pm »
I think the bit of your post concerning topping yourself or killing someone might merit further consideration, though. Unless it was simply a throwaway remark.

No, it's a fear.  But I've spoken to professionals about it and they're not concerned.  It's far too intrinsicly linked to my anxiety, it's disturbing thoughts that pop into your head and then you get scared as to why they're there, and then you chew on it, asking why it's in your head, asking a whole host of 'what if' questions over and over.
The thing is, i fear death.  So...surely the worst thing I could ever imagine is killing myself!  Surely.

Online Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #146 on: November 15, 2010, 10:41:18 pm »
I also fear losing my job in April, losing loved ones, financial uncertainty, but I KNOW that the key word in all this is still FEAR.  There's nothing to fear in life except fear itself. 

Sorry for spamming but that's utter bollocks. Things like that cause fear in us because they're fucking scary. I agree we shouldn't get paralysed by fear but give yourself a fucking break, willya? A lot of people feel like that, this sense of impending doom, especially if you have other people to worry about.

Offline Dr Cornwallis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: November 15, 2010, 10:44:29 pm »
Fight or Flight? I get a similar sensation when there's a knock at the door or the phone rings,always thinking its going to be bad news (as it was on sunday morning)

Pavlovian dog you are. You've linked the door knock with horrible sensations.  Of course it's not linked, it's a fucking door knock, but you've conditioned yourself now.  Much like being a small lad and getting bitten by a dog.  Fear of dogs developed in a matter of seconds. 
I fear the phone ringing late at night, but if it happens then it happens, answer it.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: November 15, 2010, 10:45:23 pm »

Saw your post in the Funerals threa and commented on it. 

My missus has battled the exact same things! She found a school in Copenhagen (we live just north of Copenhagen) that focuses solely on phobias and how to beat them. Took her some time but now she knows how to deal with the symptoms almost before they hit her and she is hardly marked by it anymore. Dunno if there are any school like that in Libpool / UK but their website is: http://www.fobiskolen.dk/index.html and on that site there is a phone number. A quick call and they could perhaps tell you if there is anything like them in the UK. Their teachings are based on Cognitive therapy as well as Mindfulness Training - perhaps the clue for a Google search there...? :wave

A quick google search for "cognitive therapy Liverpool" showed this guy's site among others: http://www.steveflatt.co.uk/ Have a read and give him a ring if he feels like a person you could confide in.

Offline Dr Cornwallis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: November 15, 2010, 10:45:26 pm »
its a little girl i have, although i can see how you made the mistake there ha ha, i think i'm finally going to do this though mate. before it gets worse.

I fucking knew it!   I studied the pic and thought "i bet its a girl, I'm going to look a right twat here..."

• aka And Could He Play.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: November 15, 2010, 10:49:03 pm »
ha ha no problem, the no short hair and lfc kit swayed you.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: November 15, 2010, 10:49:03 pm »
I fucking knew it!   I studied the pic and thought "i bet its a girl, I'm going to look a right twat here..."

BADA-BING and you do!!! :wave  ;D  8)

Offline Dr Cornwallis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: November 15, 2010, 10:53:17 pm »
I've suffered from anxiety/panic since about the age of 25. No reason that I can tell of, it just came.

And there's no reason at all to dig and try to find out why, because it doesn't matter, you aren't in that situation anymore.  PTSS in soldiers, same thing, reliving things and unable to shake the memories.  Some soldiers deal with it, others have a much tougher time, but it's the same premise to get over it.  It's sensations and thoughts that carry on the problem, not being in a battlezone, and they are taught to forget it and carry on, and eventually the body's anxiety levels will normalize once the brain (amygdala) realises that the sensations are inappropriate, and the reaction the memories aren't pre-determined.

In general to your post I hear you.  But a way of thinking about the anxiety/depression relationship is to think about what came first, the anxiety or the depression.  If it's the former, then depression isn't the issue as such, it's a by-product of your shitty life while not dealing with your anxiety.
But clinical depression, as your say, is a different kettle of fish.  I'm on Trazodone and so I shouldn't really be suffering from depression, they should take care of it.  But as they don't, then I can only assume that it's anxiety scaring me into depressive thoughts.

Offline Dr Cornwallis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: November 15, 2010, 10:57:11 pm »
Sorry for spamming but that's utter bollocks. Things like that cause fear in us because they're fucking scary. I agree we shouldn't get paralysed by fear but give yourself a fucking break, willya? A lot of people feel like that, this sense of impending doom, especially if you have other people to worry about.

Yes but there's a rational way of dealing with it and an irrational way.  If I lose my job then I can hopefully find another one, maybe a better one.  But in my mind, I lose my job then I cannot support my family and then we're kicked out or she leaves me because I can't support them.  Well that's just a fucking useless train of thought and most probably not going to happen.

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: November 15, 2010, 11:00:20 pm »
But a way of thinking about the anxiety/depression relationship is to think about what came first, the anxiety or the depression.

I would hazard a guess and say that anxiety typically follows depression (especially social) more often than depression as a result of anxiety. But quite often anxiety will just pop out of nowhere. From my experience with both myself and through my wife, I'd take anxiety every day of the week.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: November 15, 2010, 11:01:55 pm »
Yes but there's a rational way of dealing with it and an irrational way.  If I lose my job then I can hopefully find another one, maybe a better one.  But in my mind, I lose my job then I cannot support my family and then we're kicked out or she leaves me because I can't support them.  Well that's just a fucking useless train of thought and most probably not going to happen.

You come across as a well-informed and intelligent fella Doc. Not kidding here! Apart from the medication are you doing anything to solve your problems with anxiety? What I'm asking for is to know whether you have tried counselling i.e cognitive therapy?

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: November 15, 2010, 11:04:50 pm »
You come across as a well-informed and intelligent fella Doc. Not kidding here! Apart from the medication are you doing anything to solve your problems with anxiety? What I'm asking for is to know whether you have tried counselling i.e cognitive therapy?

I've used CBT to help with anxiety some time back, and it has helped 'a lot'. It also helped my wife kick the prozac/citalopram for 3 years, although the recent trauma has resulted on her being on them again. I expect she will be off them in 3-6 months though.

Offline Dr Cornwallis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: November 15, 2010, 11:12:17 pm »
What I'm asking for is to know whether you have tried counselling i.e cognitive therapy?

Kind of, I try to live my life by it as best I can but I suppose I could really do with someone to 'spot me'.
Do CBT practitioners actually go with you into anxious situations or do they just instruct you to do something?

Offline Dr Cornwallis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: November 15, 2010, 11:13:41 pm »
And thanks for the kind words.  I've been reading up on anxiety for about 10 years, I know how it works but I let myself slip too often.  You not only need to deal with the immediate problem but you also need to do some form of maintenance work to stave it off as well.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: November 15, 2010, 11:14:53 pm »
I've used CBT to help with anxiety some time back, and it has helped 'a lot'. It also helped my wife kick the prozac/citalopram for 3 years, although the recent trauma has resulted on her being on them again. I expect she will be off them in 3-6 months though.

It helped my missus too - 'a lot' as you put it. What I'm trying is to illustrate for "And could he play" that there is help out there and that it isn't very far away.