Author Topic: Shaun Goater MBE????  (Read 3014 times)

Offline ttnbd

• RAWK Chief Financial Officer
  • Legacy Fan
  • ANFIELD4EVER
Shaun Goater MBE????
« on: June 14, 2003, 01:25:29 pm »
Anyone care to elaborate why this is the case?
So all say thanks to the Shanks

He never walked alone

Lets sing our song for all the world

From this his Liverpool home

Offline Brick Tamland

• Helllllo Jen
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love lamp
Re:Shaun Goater MBE????
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2003, 02:48:27 pm »
Really?  ???

:-[
"I'm Brick Tamland. People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks."

Offline Brick Tamland

• Helllllo Jen
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love lamp
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2003, 02:49:27 pm »
Because he has been a great example for his country (Bahamas) in sport and the are part of the British Empire?  ???
"I'm Brick Tamland. People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks."

Offline stoz

• John Motson. The Flag Bearer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2003, 03:16:25 pm »
yeah, it was something like that.  He set up soccer schools for under-priveliged kids in his home contry.

Offline Steve_M

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2003, 04:05:11 pm »
Taken fron the BBC site:

Manchester City striker Shaun Goater has been honoured with an MBE for services to sport and young people in his home country of Bermuda.

Goater, a 33-year-old Bermudan international, has played in English football since 1988 and has been at City since 1997.

In Bermuda, he is as famous and popular as David Beckham is in England, so it is fitting that the pair received awards in the same Queen's Birthday Honours List.

Goater was born in Hamilton, Bermuda, and maintains strong links with the island.

He married his high school sweetheart there, was given the freedom of Bermuda in 2000 and was once celebrated by a national Shaun Goater Day.

Ironically, given his later cult status at Man City, it was Manchester United who first brought the 18-year-old Goater to English football.

He was given a trainee deal at Old Trafford in 1989 after being spotted while playing on tour in the UK in 1988.

But he never made a first team appearance and was moved on to Rotherham then Bristol City before joining City in 1998 for £400,000.

He scored three goals in seven games at end of the 1997-98 season but could not stop City going down.

But the following season he scored 21 goals, giving rise to a 'Feed the Goat' chant which would endure.

In 1999/2000 he scored 29 goals, in 2000/01 he hit 11 and the following season he hit 32 as City finally returned to the top flight under Kevin Keegan.

In the season just gone Goater scored seven goals this year - including two against United in the last derby at Maine Road which City won 3-1.

He also netted a dramatic late equaliser at Old Trafford in the return.

Nevertheless Keegan has told him he can leave Man City, despite having a year to go on his contract.

Bidding farewell to the club - almost certainly to drop down to Division One - he captained City on his final appearance which was also the last ever game at Maine Road - a 1-0 defeat by Southampton.

But this award is mainly down to his work in Bermuda.

He was the official ambassador for his country during the Commonwealth Games in Manchester last year.

Goater also runs a summer soccer school each year and is a figurehead for football in Bermuda, aiming to raise the profile and standards of the game of there.

This summer will see the first annual Shaun Goater Grassroots Soccer Festival on the island, with over 1,000 expected to participate.

Manchester City will be sending their Academy team to take part.

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2003, 04:19:45 pm »
Puts some other footballers to shame...
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline ttnbd

• RAWK Chief Financial Officer
  • Legacy Fan
  • ANFIELD4EVER
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2003, 04:58:10 pm »
ok. Didn't know the circumstances.  I noticed it while at the gym and didn't know why he had got it.
So all say thanks to the Shanks

He never walked alone

Lets sing our song for all the world

From this his Liverpool home

Offline Brick Tamland

• Helllllo Jen
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love lamp
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2003, 04:35:04 pm »
Sounds worthwhile award to him now. Well in Shawn  :wave

Alec Stewart -  :upyours

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2003, 12:22:46 pm »
David Beckham OBE?? What, cos he scored a penalty against the Argies and scored a free kick at the 10th attempt?

Fuck Off Dave !!!

Offline KOTP

• Arch Cunt + Official RAWK scarf swapper. Possibly the most laughably out-dated signature on the entire site, we hope.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: July 4, 2003, 08:44:03 pm »
Posted by: Walshy-Koppite  Posted on: June 18, 2003, 12:22:46 PM  
David Beckham OBE?? What, cos he scored a penalty against the Argies  

that was worth a knighthood.

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: July 6, 2003, 02:08:55 am »
MBE - Massive big ears  ::)