Author Topic: Wimbledon go into administration  (Read 2949 times)

Offline ttnbd

• RAWK Chief Financial Officer
  • Legacy Fan
  • ANFIELD4EVER
Wimbledon go into administration
« on: June 6, 2003, 11:11:20 am »
Wimbledon's financial troubles have led to the club being placed in administration.
Administrators Grant Thornton announced in a statement on Friday that it is working with the existing management to achieve the club's survival.

Wimbledon's losses had been on the increase following chairman Charles Koppel's controversial decision to relocate to Milton Keynes.

"This is yet another example of the intrinsic problems facing many football clubs," said Grant Thornton partner Nick Wood.

"Wimbledon's problems have been well documented and like so many clubs the short-term cashflow has become critical.

We and the directors believe we will in due course see a successful outcome

Administrator Andy Hosking  

"Whilst not welcomed by many, it is becoming increasingly clear that a move to Milton Keynes is a key element in ensuring that the club has the facilities commensurate with its ambitions."

Wimbledon alienated a large part of their fanbase when they announced their intention to move from their temporary home at Selhurst Park to Milton Keynes.

It led to a boycott of the club's matches, with attendances sometimes falling to less than 2,000 as fans switched allegiance to the newly-formed amateur side AFC Wimbledon.

The club was given the go-ahead to relocate to Milton Keynes by an independent Football Association commission in May last year.

Dons get stadium go-ahead  

And final approval from the Football League for a temporary move to the town's National Hockey Stadium was granted in April.

"Over 60% of the club's current season-ticket capacity has been sold and these funds are secure and unaffected by this administration," said Grant Thornton partner Andy Hosking.

"We and the directors believe, with the enthusiasm shown in Milton Keynes and the dedicated efforts of the club's staff, we will in due course see a successful outcome."

So all say thanks to the Shanks

He never walked alone

Lets sing our song for all the world

From this his Liverpool home

hoonin

Re:Wimbledon go into administration
« Reply #1 on: June 6, 2003, 11:33:38 am »
Good, f'ing hate Wimbledon.

Administration seems such a cop out to me. Got loads of debt? Call in the adinistrators, file for bankcruptcy and re-invent your plc. Worked a treat for Leicester, they got a free stadium in the process.

OK, maybe thats not quite factually correct, but you get my point?

Offline Stevo

• Not unique in his worship of Erik Meijer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: June 6, 2003, 11:47:08 am »
Great news.

Serves Koppell right. He said moving to Milton Keynes was the only way Wimbledon could survive! Haha  ;D

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #3 on: June 6, 2003, 12:38:45 pm »
I've never understood how Wimbledon have managed to financially survive anyway.

Can it really be possible for a team with so few fans to survive in modern-day footy? As of now, no - but surely thet must have racked up some srious debt over the years, regardless of selling on their 'better' players.

Strange how this is announced the day after the Football League announce there will be no penalties forteams who do go into administration - Wimbledon maybe would've started the new season on minus 6pts?
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Roger

• The Derek Acorah of RAWK & Welsh News Correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: June 6, 2003, 06:50:36 pm »
Go bankrupt and start afresh in MK.

Wimbledon's only a cuckoo anyway.

:P

Offline roger_s

• Main Stander
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5 on: June 7, 2003, 01:49:45 pm »
made up about this news the way koppell has treated the wimbledon fans is a disgrace moving their club.

long live AFC WIMBLEDON

Offline Andy G

• has just had sex. Possibly with Martin Tyler
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • They shot the wrong bloody Kennedy
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2003, 01:43:19 am »
Don't want to see any football club go under, but if there was one, they'd be it.

Long live AFC Wimbledon.   Amen
Emancipate your selves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.

Offline Steve_M

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2003, 04:01:51 pm »
With them organising that big tennis tournament every year, I'd thought they'd be rolling in dough.   ;D

Offline Eli_B (aka Badland Red)

• The resident lurking Saddler
  • Legacy Fan
    • My Mobile Blog
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2003, 07:13:27 pm »
Don't want to see any football club go under, but if there was one, they'd be it.

Long live AFC Wimbledon.   Amen

Indeed Andy G and roger_s. If the odius Charles Koppel has a brainwave and decides to have a friendly against Liverpool. I'm sure that our fans will say hell no!  :no
« Last Edit: June 20, 2003, 04:26:17 pm by Elisha_B »
Walsall FC aka the red and white Saddlers. The innovators as well as the first sports team in England/UK, to sell the Chicken Balti Pie:

http://upthesaddlers.com/wp/ 

With a soft spot for the redmen of Liverpool since the League Cup Semi Final 1984. RIP to the 39 in Brussels and of course the 96.

Offline Mark_P

• Stupid fucking little gosbite
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2003, 12:25:04 am »
I dunno, a trip to Milton Keynes ... loadsa tickets availible cos they've got no fans .... sounds good  :)  :D
Just GO you Yank twats.

Offline Chris.

• Official Panini Swapper
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2003, 01:22:10 am »
they all go to old trafford

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2003, 01:21:41 pm »
I dunno, a trip to Milton Keynes ... loadsa tickets availible cos they've got no fans .... sounds good  :)  :D

It used to be very convenient when they were still in the top division, only away match I was certain to get a ticket for.

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2003, 01:56:54 pm »
Only take me 20 mins on train to get there.
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/