Author Topic: Boxing thread  (Read 4160395 times)

Offline Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Boxing thread
« Reply #55600 on: March 9, 2018, 09:41:00 pm »
Anyone fancy Brook to beat Spence at 154?

I wouldn't say fancy but I think he'd have an outside chance. The last fight was fairly close till his eye went, although it did seem like Spence was gradually breaking him down and would have been the boxer more likely to finish strongly.

Don't think the weight makes much difference though - it's not as if Spence is a small Welterweight, if you look at his record it's only been the last 3 years where he has got down to that weight - lots of his earlier fights were at SWW.

Complete speculation/armchair psychology but I didn't feel like the Bramall Lane stuff did Brook a huge amount of favours and I wouldn't be surprised if he was able to box a little more freely as an underdog over in the states - kind of similar to BJS where he had struggled at home but then rose to the big occasion in the states.

If it happened I'd be expecting Spence to win but would definitely be keeping an eye on Brook's odds in case he gets underestimated.

Obviously all of the above assumes that Brook has got his head right after two bad injuries and that physically his eyes are fixed and able to take punishment.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55601 on: March 9, 2018, 10:55:10 pm »
Quigg fails to make the weight. He is over the weight limit.

Offline kneeys

• We know the TRUTH,now give them JUSTICE.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Around long enough to know better...
« Reply #55602 on: March 9, 2018, 10:55:51 pm »
Valdez - Quigg early hours Sunday. Looking forward to this one, I have been banging the Valdez drum for a while, proper Mexican throwback fighter and it'll be good to see how Quigg handles his style

http://www.skysports.com/boxing/news/12183/11278330/valdez-vs-quigg-scott-quigg-battles-mexican-oscar-valdez-for-wbo-belt-this-weekend-on-sky-sports
Since Quigg is more than two pounds over California rules won't allow him to try lose that much weight. Fight is on. If Valdez wins he retains title. If Quigg wins title is vacant. Commission fines Quigg 20% of his purse. Ten percent goes to Valdez and ten percent to Commission.
The s*n so full of shit you could not even use it to wipe your arse

Offline outlaw_nas

• Kopite
« Reply #55603 on: March 9, 2018, 11:02:45 pm »
How can his team slow that to happen. That's way of the limit a day before the fight. Shocking by him and his team.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Offline Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55604 on: March 10, 2018, 01:42:04 am »
How can his team slow that to happen. That's way of the limit a day before the fight. Shocking by him and his team.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

He's that far over that you wonder whether they knew a few days ago that he was going to struggle to make the weight and decided that he'd be better off not completely draining himself chasing it in the hope that he is in better condition to get a win and then a rematch for the vacant belt.

All in all its a bit of a shambles from him and his team.

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #55605 on: March 10, 2018, 07:18:29 am »
I can’t see this being a lack of professionalism on Quiggs part, he lives in the gym and is obsessed,  having to be told to take a rest so I would say he has either been ill or injured

The other obvious answer is his frame just can’t make the weight anymore, Frampton suffered from the same issue

I fancied Valdez before the fight and even more so now

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #55606 on: March 10, 2018, 08:45:12 am »
I reckon he must have been ill and his team have taken the decision to let him go in as competitive as possible without the belt on the line than fight for the title, with his chances further diminished.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #55607 on: March 10, 2018, 08:54:57 am »
I've yet to watch Valdez aside from a few highlights so I'm interested in seeing this, I'll record it. Quigg missing weight isn't ideal, as you fellas have said it probably lends to an idea that he's been ill or something hasn't been right in camp as Quigg has always been thoroughly professional and is a bit of a gym rat by all accounts.

Online 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #55608 on: March 10, 2018, 05:23:42 pm »
I can’t see this being a lack of professionalism on Quiggs part, he lives in the gym and is obsessed,  having to be told to take a rest so I would say he has either been ill or injured

The other obvious answer is his frame just can’t make the weight anymore, Frampton suffered from the same issue

I fancied Valdez before the fight and even more so now
Valdez is 2/11 in the odds to be fair; he does seem top notch. Quigg is a 3/1 outsider.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 05:25:17 pm by 1892tillforever »

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55609 on: March 11, 2018, 04:57:39 am »
Quigg is gonna win this. Think he will get him late

Offline 7777

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55610 on: March 11, 2018, 07:56:54 am »
You know I’m a bit of a Valdez fanboy but I really struggled to give Quigg a round there despite his weight advantage, he caught Valdez at the end of round 5 but even then I would have scored it a 10-10 as Valdez had the better round

Featherweight is a serious division, I’d love to see Valdez in with LSC, Mares, Russell jnr etc. I think Selby beats Warrington handily and then he should be looking to unify too

Quigg needs to do two things. Move up in weight and him Freddie Roach off. He has regressed under him

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55611 on: March 11, 2018, 08:11:54 am »
Valdez did not look impressive to me. Very standard fighter for me. Morales, bareera et all would have worked him over without much of a fuss.Quigg I thought was too big for him but he turned out to be big for nothing. Needs to move to a coach that will teach him better footwork and a jab

Offline 7777

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55612 on: March 11, 2018, 08:30:52 am »
Valdez did not look impressive to me. Very standard fighter for me. Morales, bareera et all would have worked him over without much of a fuss.Quigg I thought was too big for him but he turned out to be big for nothing. Needs to move to a coach that will teach him better footwork and a jab

I think we have disagreed on this before mate, but I defo don’t have the same view as you there. He pretty much shut out Scott Quigg which nobody has done. I love watching the lad, he is tough, he is fast and he bites down on his gum shield, especially in the last round when he could have took it easy but he banged on his gloves and waved Quigg in, I love that style of fighter, it is why I like watching the likes of Liam Smith because no matter what, he loves a tear up first and foremost.

As for MAB and Eric Morales, they would have beat most fighters in any era! I don’t think that detracts from Valdez ability in any way

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55613 on: March 11, 2018, 10:13:54 am »
You've killed me on that last point to be fair. Just keep him away from Loma.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55614 on: March 11, 2018, 10:15:12 am »
I think we have disagreed on this before mate, but I defo don’t have the same view as you there. He pretty much shut out Scott Quigg which nobody has done. I love watching the lad, he is tough, he is fast and he bites down on his gum shield, especially in the last round when he could have took it easy but he banged on his gloves and waved Quigg in, I love that style of fighter, it is why I like watching the likes of Liam Smith because no matter what, he loves a tear up first and foremost.

As for MAB and Eric Morales, they would have beat most fighters in any era! I don’t think that detracts from Valdez ability in any way

He's missing some teeth mate, and Quigg had him badly rattled at one point. Also think that low blow did him a big favour. Saying that I only gave Quigg 3 rounds.

I've not watched much of Valdez but on last nights evidence I'm not quite as taken with him as you are, although he's going to be great to watch. Big puncher, fast hands, tough as old boots, and vulnerable as well. Perfect combination.

Quigg had about 30-60 seconds after his nose went where he boxed clever and got his jab working, and it looked like it would have worked. No idea why that wasn't the plan all along.

Offline 7777

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55615 on: March 11, 2018, 04:39:28 pm »
I hear you both 100%, it’s more the style of his fighting rather than his technical ability which is still very good. I couldn’t give Quigg 3 rounds, I thought maybe a share of the 5th where he really wobbled Valdez but apart from that, I just didn’t see it

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55616 on: March 12, 2018, 07:07:37 pm »
Credit to Quigg & Valdez at the weekend. Joe Gallagher mentioned Quiggs footwork on the ringside podcast a few weeks ago. Shame about the injury before the fight.

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55617 on: March 13, 2018, 11:36:42 am »
Quigg needs to move his head more as well as actually jab when stepping in.  He walks forward in straight lines far too often so is too easy to hit.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55618 on: March 13, 2018, 01:28:23 pm »
Quigg is what he is, a fringe world level John Murray. Has not improved at all under Froch from what i can see. he can pick up a strap (a real one not the WBA intergalactic title) because of his toughness but he wont hold it for long if he doesn't make fundamental changes

Offline cornishscouser92

• Legacy Fan
Boxing thread
« Reply #55619 on: March 13, 2018, 05:04:08 pm »

All over this

May 12th
MSG, NY.
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55620 on: March 13, 2018, 05:13:44 pm »

All over this

May 12th
MSG, NY.

Yes please.

Lomachenko could be a 3 weight world champ after 12 fights, mental.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55621 on: March 13, 2018, 05:13:48 pm »
That's one fight that won't disappoint.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55622 on: March 13, 2018, 05:16:07 pm »
Yes please.

Lomachenko could be a 3 weight world champ after 12 fights, mental.

It is but as I've said previously mate he keeps going up the other fighters will take his punches and hit back equally as hard if not harder.  He's basically wanting to do a Pacman-esque run.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55623 on: March 13, 2018, 05:19:54 pm »
The fight wil be beautiful as Linares has a lovely style offensively.  Linares will get worked over though. Loma I think maxes out at 135lbs but could win a strap at 140lbs. Better stay away from 147lbs though

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55624 on: March 13, 2018, 06:39:28 pm »
It is but as I've said previously mate he keeps going up the other fighters will take his punches and hit back equally as hard if not harder.  He's basically wanting to do a Pacman-esque run.

Yeah he'll come a cropper eventually, just look at Chocalatito.

He's got no chance of matching Pacquaio with 8 divisions, I wonder what he should be aiming for as his legacy? At the moment he just seems to be hunting the best names out there which is admirable.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55625 on: March 13, 2018, 06:42:18 pm »
Great to see a boxer who's not bothered about the threat of losing and just wants to fight the best in the divisions around him.

He's a breath of fresh air in boxing is Loma.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55626 on: March 13, 2018, 06:48:54 pm »
I think he also tops out at 140 (Light Welterweight) any further and he's in serious trouble. 

Online 1892tillforever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55627 on: March 13, 2018, 06:49:02 pm »
Great to see a boxer who's not bothered about the threat of losing and just wants to fight the best in the divisions around him.

He's a breath of fresh air in boxing is Loma.
Bizarrely, that early defeat may have helped him.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55628 on: March 13, 2018, 09:11:58 pm »
Bizarrely, that early defeat may have helped him.

100%

Remember RJJ saying his loss to Griffin was the best thing that ever happened to him and there's no way he'd have gone up through the weights if he had a zero to protect.

147 probably is a step too far for Loma but I fully expect him to go that far at some stage.

Online 1892tillforever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55629 on: March 13, 2018, 11:19:58 pm »
100%

Remember RJJ saying his loss to Griffin was the best thing that ever happened to him and there's no way he'd have gone up through the weights if he had a zero to protect.

147 probably is a step too far for Loma but I fully expect him to go that far at some stage.
It was a shitty DQ loss and all; proper sorted Griffin out in the rematch like a boss though  :D

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55630 on: March 13, 2018, 11:30:45 pm »
A fight at Featherweight.

A Prime Naz (mid to late 90's) v Lomachenko.

Who wins.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55631 on: March 13, 2018, 11:36:15 pm »
Naz had legit KO power for a Featherweight in either hands and was quick. Would be a good fight that. But Lomo is more skilled fighter.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55632 on: March 14, 2018, 08:51:11 am »

Who wins.

Naz would have taken out a restraining order mate ;D

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55633 on: March 14, 2018, 09:31:39 am »
Naz can't be discounted due to his power but I think Loma turns him inside out.

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55634 on: March 14, 2018, 09:55:53 am »

Who wins.

Loma would win as Naz could be neutralised even though he had the equaliser in both hands.

Now Loma v Mayweather at 135 would be a great fight.  Floyd at 135 was so damn good!!!

Offline 7777

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55635 on: March 14, 2018, 06:40:33 pm »
Loma would win as Naz could be neutralised even though he had the equaliser in both hands.

Now Loma v Mayweather at 135 would be a great fight.  Floyd at 135 was so damn good!!!

Loma-Floyd - What a fight that would have been!

I love Linares style and he has improved but he struggled at times with Mitchell and Crolla so I can’t look past another Lomachenko masterclass

Online 1892tillforever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55636 on: March 14, 2018, 09:48:16 pm »
Loma-Floyd - What a fight that would have been!

I love Linares style and he has improved but he struggled at times with Mitchell and Crolla so I can’t look past another Lomachenko masterclass
I think Loma will stop Linares to be honest; he will bring the heat, Linares won't hide but he will be unable to turn back the tidal wave.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55637 on: March 17, 2018, 08:39:22 pm »
Wilder will be doing analysis for Sky on Joshua v Parker. Apparently plans to come into the ring to confront AJ  if/after he wins.  ;D ;D

Online 1892tillforever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55638 on: March 18, 2018, 12:01:01 am »
Wilder will be doing analysis for Sky on Joshua v Parker. Apparently plans to come into the ring to confront AJ  if/after he wins.  ;D ;D
Great, more WWE bullshit  ::) I suppose Wilder has to do it to get some recognition from casuals.

Next week is Whyte vs Browne. As I've mentioned many times before I don't rate Whyte and wouldn't be surprised if he gets KO'd next week even though he is heavy favourite last I looked.

Btw, can someone explain to me how the fuck Manuel Charr became the WBA (regular) champion? He got destroyed by Cruiserweight Breidis!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 12:04:56 am by 1892tillforever »

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55639 on: March 18, 2018, 09:52:09 am »

Joshua doesn't want him in the ring for what it's worth.